Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

No sign of Swiss efficiency yesterday. My LHR-ZRH flight was delayed by 2 hours as they couldn't find an aircraft to use for the incoming ZRH-LHR. We boarded at 19:30 (instead of 18:10) and by the time all the amateur traveller cockwombles had crammed their oversized "carry-ons" into the lockers and sat down it was 20:10, then waiting for a departure slot meant that we didn't become airborne until 20:30. I just got the last train to Basel and arrived at 01:13, two minutes after the last tram (and it was, and is, raining), necessitating a taxi... Ever since Lufthansa got their grubby little protuberances on Swiss, things have gone down hill and for the boys in Berlin Basel doesn't exist - which means no more BSL-LCY flights with Swiss (or BSL-anywhere for that matter). BA flies to LHR T5, great if you are going long haul and transiting, not so good if you want to go to London.

Jock, I know you are worried about your Grandson (and rightly so), but I am not sure that I would really advise Googling any condition before talking to the doctors about the disease, treatments and potential outcomes. The reason being threefold: firstly, it may be difficult for a layman to put information into context (for example Wikipedia may say "severe hypotension is a significant risk of X", but what it may not say is "...which is easily controlled by 20mg of Y"); secondly, you can't be objective (for example a clinician may objectively view a mild renal impairment as an acceptable cost of treating X, you may not be able or willing to make that call); and thirdly, in treating "real" patients clinical experience trumps purely factual knowledge (I may know a hell of a lot about oncology, it's' presentation, diagnosis, monitoring, treatment and outcome; but I would not presume to diagnose, prescribe or treat as I am not a clinician [although I can evaluate such things]), Googling a disease is very useful for expanding on the information the doctors provide to you. Believe me Jock, it's a fine line to tread between effectively informing someone about a disease or treatment and scaring the bejesus out of them (which is why writing an effective informed consent information sheet is a difficult art). I think you should not add further, probably unlikely, things to worry about to all the other things you deal with so marvellously (And above all don't forget the great unwashed from ERs are very firmly behind you and ready to support you at any time).

Well, time for bed, I've unwound and will now enjoy a solitary doggie and Mrs iD free sleep.

G'night All

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Usual greetings of the various kinds as I catch up.

My annual flu jab letter arrived a couple of days ago. Although I'm not of pensionable age, I am referred to as "at risk" due to my usually mild asthma. As my main employment is one-to-one within a closed environment, I find a flu jab most useful in avoiding illness and keeping me out on the road.

Another week beckons, although I seem to have missed the weekend.............

Saturday's golf was a completely different (better) game to the mixed doubles on Friday where I was completely carp. 10th overall and one point towards the Order of Merit for the year. The rest of Saturday was occupied with working on my new layout. (See Deadman's Lane in sig)

Sunday morning was work as normal with a quick tidy up at Mrs NB's place before 4 hours on the road mostly going backwards (teaching turn-in-the-road, otherwise regularly referred to as a three-point-turn, and parallel parking)

Then my "final" game at the ice hockey tonight with NB junior before she departs to Uni next weekend for a couple of years.  A hard-fought home win 5-3 for the Blackburn Hawks v the Telford Tigers. It's been "our" regular Sunday night as Dad & daughter time for a couple of years and I'm going to miss her requests for money to pay for the hot dog and chips at the break between periods (usually at the end of the first). I'll have to take Mrs NB to the game from now on.

More work on DL filled the evening.

A busy week ahead with driving most of Monday, but weather permitting, it's a trip to Gisburn Forest on Monday night for a spin with the mountain bike - lights may be required.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 13

Anyway, I went on to say that I agreed with Pete's assessment of BB King's playing. Like another favourite guitarist of mine, David Gilmour, BB's playing was amazing and what he didn't play was as important as what he did play. Let the music breathe, indeed. As a (rank) amatuer guitarist I find the flashy hammer-ons/pull-offs pretty easy, but getting the right sort of string bending and vibrato... way outa my league man

iD

It’s a question of application, Flavio. I happen to think that vibrato ( I particularly like Albert King’s and Clapton’s, oh and Kossoff’s) really helps to make a guitar solo  sing like a human voice - so I practiced and practiced it when younger. Now I can do fast or slow, anything in-between or indeed speed it up or slow it down mid-note.

I remember mentioning to a top class American studio guitarist that I could perform vibrato while actually bending up to a note and he scoffed until I showed him - it was a revelation to him (and he used it on his next session).

I’m not blowing my own horn just suggesting putting some “woodshed time” into it, you’ll enjoy it when it all falls into place...

Tony, June Tabor has such a rich, tuneful (contralto?) voice. Only heard her never seen! She did a couple of wonderful Richard Thompson covers.......

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 12

Morning all. A bleak wet morning to greet me.

Jock - Apologies aren't needed. You have far more to think about than trawling through ER's and posting any updates. I certainly hope that tomorrow resolves the problem. 

Have a good day everyone

Good morning one and all

Some of the gardening got done yesterday but it was all too much for the trowel which fell apart through rot and old age after 45 minutes.   I have some sympathy with it.  For some reason my strawberry bed attracts many other plants which grow so close to the designated inhabitants that it is difficult to remove them without also taking out the strawberries.  It is difficult to accept that this horticulture lark is something [else] at which I do not shine but I must persist - and buy a new trowel, of course.

Somebody phoned me on Saturday from a Bedford number and did not leave a message.  Returning the call produced no reply and a grab of what is left of the telephone directory to ascertain whether it might have been the TV shop telling me the fate of my digi box.  Perhaps I will try again.  More likely I will go the shop this morning as it is near where other calls must be made today.

Tony S: you, sir, are a man of culture to have even heard of June Tabor and Oysterband and I salute you.

Bill: a good thought re travelling to Manchester which I shall investigate.  I do have somewhere else to go that day, much nearer to home, but we'll see.

TG: glad you got to Expo.  I had it in my head that you were planning to go on Saturday.

Flavio:  I'm not sure which I loathe more, airports or flying.

Good day all

Chris

• Like 10

Morning one and all on this gorgeous sunny day in North Eastern Tasmania. 

IMO when your crook (unwell) on a sunny day and you look at the beautiful fields of life that surround you, the cattle, sheep, one horse and the trees in blossom with green pasture, it makes one feel much better and appreciate the gift of life.

Thankyou to all on you comments about my illness, there is a little more to than just the ( man flu ).

Four years ago I had a heart attack followed by a server case of shingles which affected the left side of my head and damaging many of the nerves to my face. 
My GP at the time had put me on various pain killers, some of which I still take to combat my head aches. 
We had to up the dose to give me some relief, as I wasn't coping with the pain. What happened next was in affect a drug overdose and had renal failure.

I was admitted to hospital, they had to give me in the end two full blood transfusions which left me with no amune system.

My emphysema has worsened and now even a common cold knocks me down on your knees.

Your questions on flu and pneumonia, antiviral shots, yes in Australia any person over the age of 50 can have one shot free per year (if they wish to)  from your GP.

Persons with any lung, viral disorders or long term illnesses get a shot each year as part of their on going treatment. They can even jump the queue when they become ill to receive urgent treatment, this is so the hospital system is not over run by most types of influenza patients leaving hospital beds free ( "not to many of those I can tell ya") for the more serious.

Thanks again to all for the topic, it is interesting how it varies from country to country.

"Jock", I and IMO all of the RMwebbers would agree with iL Dottore on you grandsons diagnosis. We have some very talented medicos out there today and I'm sure he has one of them if not more to get him up and running. I mean look at us two, why are we still here, should've been dead years ago. Those magical hands of modern medicine.

Jock from what I know of you it'll be in his blood to fight the fight and come out bright. My thoughts are with you and your family. 

"Happy Hippo",  I was tempted to ask if anyone had or knew some one if they had a GWR auto coach they would like to sell, then thought this might not be the site for it, "say la ve".

"Dom" smashing photos, I have brought a near new Pentax but I don't have the battery charger for it, "misplaced" so photos from this end from me will have to wait.

Speaking of Jock, we have a Pomeranian x Chihuahua some thing called Jock. At our last residence we had a fenced yard with two gates, he would always manage to escape the compounds  by either jumping over or digging under the fences. Wondering the streets.

Here we have the typical post and wire rural fence that every modeller try's to replicate on his layout.

This was going to a problem for us!. We had him on his restraint lead tied to his dog box and only released under strict supervision for exercise.
A plan was drawn up for a dog escape proof yard. Two nights ago the children forgot to put him back at his box.

When I awoke the following morning I seen his lead but no Jock?.

I found him asleep at the back of his box, all safe and sound. He hasn't been tired up since through the day and he has not run off since?

Here's the question? Has the challenge of escape been taken away, or is it that he now can see what's on the other side of the fence, his curiosity has been taken away and now content with what he see's?

Any theories are welcome. 

Well I am feeling a bit brighter today, home alone as the boss has gone to Launceston (second only city! "big town" on the Island) and young ones at school.

So must think about getting some dinner ready as I've not cooked for the last four evenings due to health.

My thoughts to all unwell or other wise, hope it becomes brighter for you too.

I'll sign off for now as its afternoon smoko time and have a read a little later this evening.

Until then, up ya kilt,

Tex.

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 11

Morning All,

Rather a gloomy morning today - we have had rain overnight and the sky is overcast, with lower level scudding clouds.

We had a fairly quiet weekend, as the weather wasn't up to much.  However, it looks like I am going to have a busy week from a work point of view.

Jock, I would agree with what Flavio says about Googling medical issues.  I am an Engineer, not a Doctor, but in the past, I have almost scared myself silly when I have Googled various symptoms.  That is not to take away from Matthew's problem - because it is clearly serious - but the Doctors will definitely have a better idea of what to do, and are in a better position to advise you and your family.

Oh well - time for a cup of tea!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 7

Good morning one and all

Some of the gardening got done yesterday but it was all too much for the trowel which fell apart through rot and old age after 45 minutes.   I have some sympathy with it.  For some reason my strawberry bed attracts many other plants which grow so close to the designated inhabitants that it is difficult to remove them without also taking out the strawberries.  It is difficult to accept that this horticulture lark is something [else] at which I do not shine but I must persist - and buy a new trowel, of course.

Somebody phoned me on Saturday from a Bedford number and did not leave a message.  Returning the call produced no reply and a grab of what is left of the telephone directory to ascertain whether it might have been the TV shop telling me the fate of my digi box.  Perhaps I will try again.  More likely I will go the shop this morning as it is near where other calls must be made today.

Tony S: you, sir, are a man of culture to have even heard of June Tabor and Oysterband and I salute you.

Bill: a good thought re travelling to Manchester which I shall investigate.  I do have somewhere else to go that day, much nearer to home, but we'll see.

TG: glad you got to Expo.  I had it in my head that you were planning to go on Saturday.

Flavio:  I'm not sure which I loathe more, airports or flying.

Good day all

Chris

Mornin' Chris,

Originally yes but a third friend asked for Sunday so that they could join us but then failed to turn up....such as life.

Rgds

Dave

• Like 2

Morning all, and heavy rain showers here. 

Van Morrison; good to see they're doing home deliveries now.  :lol:

Not sure what I did wrong - perhaps a severe case of hubris, but when wiring up the last siding on the railway the whole of the layout started shorting out. Even a point that is not connected to anything is shorting. Doh. Retracing my steps wire-by-wire. I should have just gone to the exhibition and watched trains instead. 

Jock, as others have said we're all here when you need us and certainly no need to apologise for not keeping up.  

Back later. Andy

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Overcast and very wet out here today though it isn't currently raining.

I have no plans for the day apart from the usual dog walking and preparing dinner. Dinner will be easy as there is half a steak pie that Aditi cooked yesterday.

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Van Morrison often parks outside my house, otherwise down the road or across the green area. It's a Virgin Media van; one of their engineers lives nearby. I first heard Dark End of the Street done by Moving Hearts and I think that's my favourite version, but it's a great song that works in any genre, including country-rock (Gram Parsons).

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather overcast village.    Not quite sure what's on the agenda as my first job is to make yet another call about the church fire alarm which went off in the middle of yesterdays morning service.   My day will depend on when the service engineer can get here.   I will however be spending some time putting a talk together for the club tonight.  It started off as just a talk about how I use CAD to produce etches but after some thought I've decided to make it into a more general talk about how computers can aid the railway modeller, including Templot, photoshop etc.   After I tried to string my thoughts together in a coherent thread this approach seemed to make more sense.

Jock I can only second Flavio's advice re 'Dr Google' and hope for good news tomorrow.

Tex, good to hear from you on a regular basis and I look forward to more on the history of the railways of Tasmania in due course.

As to Pete's comments on guitar technique I can only look on in awe.  I love to hear a well played electric guitar especially when musicians occasionally broke out from their normal constraints and let rip.  One example is the great guitar solo on Hey Bulldog by IIRC George Harrison.  However my dreams of playing have remained as dreams.

To all others the usual commiserations and good wishes.

Jamie

• Like 12

Morning all. Was hoping to get to Swindon yesterday but didn't really feel up to it. Turned out to be a good thing as my son came to visit, which always cheers me up. Had a bizarre phone call from my ex-wife, she is trying to get into fostering and wanted to give me as a referee.

Dark End of the Street-I have by Richard and Linda Thompson and was privileged to see them perform it live.

Gordon's loco's.They look to me as though someone has tried to copy Tri-ang/Hornby models out of brass and other metals. They look like a Nellie, the old class 3 tank and the much later Fowler class 4 tank.

Have to get on with cleaning and tidying before the cleaning ladies arrive later.

Ed

• Like 9

Morning all. Overnight rain, so the whelks are unattainable again. And anyway today is the feast day of St Lionel the Encrusted, a sixth-century hermit who stood in the sea for thirty years until he was so covered in barnacles that he had to be carried everywhere by acolytes. Much revered by the Whelkmen.

No idea at all what today has in store apart from a delivery or two and taking CalAid donations to a collection point. And picking Daisy up from school this afternoon. I must check that there is cake.

So have a good day, please, especially the poorly who are in our thoughts.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Pouring down this morning but only half an hour later the sun was shining, bit overcast now but still dry. Best wishes Jock and I hope all goes well with your grandson. Been following the news about the politicking going on at the moment who knows where it will end.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Raining.

Best wishes to Jock and family.

Baz.  Saw the weathered loco on Judith Edge stand at EM North. :ok:   :good: :sungum:

Hope you all manage something great today.

• Like 11