The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good morning one and all

The deceptively citrus Moviprep is taking its time to kick in.  If I had waited for results before going to bed I would have had an uncomfortable night.  The second batch has been mixed and I will drink from it when I have savoured the black tea with sugar that sits before me.  I can't help wondering why I was not issued with a fiercer laxative.  Shortly before Christmas I was suffering from constipation and took one senna tablet.  The results were explosive to say the least.  If I am to present with the  subject area in the required state I can't help feeling that something more akin to nitro-glycerine than the stuff I was given would have been a better idea.

Aside from all that it is a surreal world.  I have just heard a clip from a Max Boyce LP on the Today programme!  This may have some connection with the rugby football tournament in which I have already declared no interest but I'm not averse to a chorus of 'Hymns and Arias' with the best of them.

Thanks for all the good wishes, which I reciprocate

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. I think I'll be back to the doc's for a look-over this morning as although things have been improving since Friday, there are certain kinds of movement which still hurt, and when it comes to passenger safety, I think playing the hero isn't called for.

Jock - I seriously hope that you don't have to go through the nightly pain ritual for much longer. It must be extremely tiring.

I fully second that, Duncan!

Morning all,

We had a bit of a mixed bag, weather wise, over the weekend.  Saturday was bright and sunny, but yesterday morning was grey and rainy.  It did brighten up during the day though.  This morning it is relatively clear, but with Fatchy Pog.

I think it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Another early start, got to be in derby for 09:30 so have to get the 08:00 off crewe, better than having to drive there at that time of day but its such a drag on the train, soooo slow!

Got a week learning some new traction, a bit overkill i recon but appaerntly i have to have 10 hours driving on it in that time, i just cant say what it is at the moment!

Looking forward to it though

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a damp Surrey.

Last night my big laptop downloaded Windows 10 and by this morning it had installed it just requiring a reboot to get it back on line.

Then I turned to the other Windows. The station building now has al the Windows in place except for the top row of small ones on the roadside. That's tonight's job along with adding window plant boxes, finishing the Doors, adding graffiti etc.

• Like 13

Morning all. I got into Old Warden yesterday to see the Vulcan's last display. Am very glad that  I did, also very impressed by the aerobatic guy and by a tail-less glider that didn't look as if it should fly, but did some impressive stunts. I remember the WW1 Bristol Fighter from my Airfix days and was pleased to see one flying, surprised by how big it was.

Knackered when I got home, went to sleep in the chair. Woke at 11.30, saw to the (hungry) dog and went to bed without eating or testing my blood sugar. Woke up this morning feeling shivery and tested my blood . It was 3.8 which is the lowest it has ever been for me.When I was last in hospital I was told "4 is the floor, 5 to drive". Generally I struggle to keep it in single figures.

Sugar is up to 8,6 now after a marmalade butty and a cup of tea. What do our other diabetics think? I'm no longer shivery and am now off to do my usual Monday job of getting the house into a fit state for my cleaning ladies who come just after 9 when they have got their kids off to school etc.

Pop in later

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Dull outside, not foggy though.

Nothing planned. I think a parcel may arrive.

Aditi has returned to work today.

We didn't have any Skype chats with Matthew but he did email to say his cold had nearly gone and he was going to be busy with his stats coursework.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Knackered when I got home, went to sleep in the chair. Woke at 11.30, saw to the (hungry) dog and went to bed without eating or testing my blood sugar. Woke up this morning feeling shivery and tested my blood . It was 3.8 which is the lowest it has ever been for me.When I was last in hospital I was told "4 is the floor, 5 to drive". Generally I struggle to keep it in single figures.

3.8 is far too low, and I'd endorse what you've been told - not below 5 for driving. 8.6 is pretty reasonable for an after breakfast reading.

Edited by 45156

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a rather grey and overcast village. Church then Asda this morning. Hopefully some modelling this afternoon and a certain bridge may start to turn from brass to grey. After that an evening doing scenic at the clubroom.

Jock I do hope that things start to get under control, Dom hope that your recovery continues. When I damaged my ankle I was told that I must not limp but walk normally, however slowly to stimulate healing.

To everyone else enjoy your day.

Jamie

• Like 10

morning all,hope you had a good night jock,at least what was left of it,duties at 3 with no2 wanting feeding......then away by 645,took them both to LEGOLAND Windsor at the weekend,awsome I have to say,i think we all enjoyed it,very tied and a long way home which they all managed to sleep though,so me and the missis had a fairly quiet run home,collected a few bits more of the mallard,i have 5 issues missing now,that never turned up in order or they just never turned up irst they blamed hatchette,then djh,although they now say there on order but don't know when they will arrive.....we shall see....a new week becons,have agood day all.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Lovely day here - not.  It's wet and windy, and I've finally picked up the bug that 30747 has been struggling with all last week.  I think it's the same one that Geoff's missus is down with, and it's a pretty fierce one.  It seems to be flu-like, but I wasn't aware that flu had arrived from wherever it originates.  I have dropped out of the Driving Standards debate now, as I was making some statements that I felt were pro cyclist but were being taken as the opposite, and I have no wish to be upset by trolling.

I'm surprised that Chris is having a slow respose to Moviprep, as most folk having a colonoscopy find it to be more than effective (ie don't go more than a few yards from your toilet).  It is designed to clear out the bowel, and if it's done that in a slower and less explosive way, then that's good.  Hope the procedure goes well.

Jock, sorry that your nocturnal pains appear to be a regular event.  Hope your Oncologist is right and that the pain is as short term as he's indicating.

John - bummer with the wheel.  I always worry about this when I see these tyre places rattle the wheel nuts on with the pneumatic guns with scant regard for the torque - though last time I went, they did check the torque manually afterwards which was a first.  Hope all is well there.

Still nothing from Tex, and I hope that our Tasmanian correspondent is simply out of Internet connection, and not ailing.

Now then, pictures from Wigan?????

Regards to All

Stewart

morning all,hope you had a good night jock,at least what was left of it,duties at 3 with no2 wanting feeding......then away by 645,took them both to LEGOLAND Windsor at the weekend,awsome I have to say,i think we all enjoyed it,very tied and a long way home which they all managed to sleep though,so me and the missis had a fairly quiet run home,collected a few bits more of the mallard,i have 5 issues missing now,that never turned up in order or they just never turned up irst they blamed hatchette,then djh,although they now say there on order but don't know when they will arrive.....we shall see....a new week becons,have agood day all.

Thanks Martin. Yes, I thought Legoland was brilliant when we took our two boys. It had not been open long, and I gather much has changed. Do you still get the cable railway down from the entrance to the park? My sons could not understand why I was interested in that!

I also enjoyed the roller coaster. My wife and children thought it was tame-even at an early age. All of them went on to enjoy the famous rides at Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and the others. I did ground-level activities while they were so engrossed. No1 son's now wife comes from Black pool, and he has been on the Pepsi Max Big One there. Just looking at the video's scares the wotsit out of me.

Ed

• Like 14

We haven't got any parakeets here but Aditi's sister has seen them in Enfield. Is the M25 some sort of parakeet deterrent?

I know it is several days after the post - but I believe the Thames may be a bit of a barrier to the east of London as there are reports of parakeets in the Ramsgate area. I think there was a BBC feature on them last year. IIRC they were first noted in the Esher area and have spread since. Ours tend to flock from somewhere in the Hither Green/Grove Park area and descend on Foots Cray meadows, but I have noted signs of some nesting in Sidcup and possibly some roosting of an evening rather than streaming back west - about an hour before sunset.

Of course the ones in Ramsgate may have been a separate escape from captivity

• Like 2

I'm surprised that Chris is having a slow respose to Moviprep, as most folk having a colonoscopy find it to be more than effective (ie don't go more than a few yards from your toilet).  It is designed to clear out the bowel, and if it's done that in a slower and less explosive way, then that's good.  Hope the procedure goes well.

Me too; a friend of mine was sent some but minus any instructions - she called her doc's who told her to take them both at the same time. Needless to say it was 8.5 on the rectum scale. The earth moved.

An hour before my op last month, the nurse popped in and gave me an enema up the way - and said it would work in about 5 or 10 minutes. Five minutes in my surgeon came in and asked if I'd had my little surprise (I was dying to go just then) and then had me sign the consent form. He knew when he'd got me where he wanted me!

Sorry about England, the competition just won't be the same. And, as much as I'd like them to be, Scotland are not as good a side as England at the moment. One day...

Good luck, Chris!

Mal

• Like 1

John - bummer with the wheel.  I always worry about this when I see these tyre places rattle the wheel nuts on with the pneumatic guns with scant regard for the torque - though last time I went, they did check the torque manually afterwards which was a first.  Hope all is well there.

<nerd mode on>there is no point in "checking" the torque afterwards. If they have overtightened them (and they always have) then OF COURSE the torque wrench will click! I did try to educate a chap once but he informed me that he had been fitting f'ing tyres for 15 f'ing years and asked me not to f'ing tell him how to do his f'ing job.<nerd mode off>.

When I was fitter I would always re-do the things at home-many bent tommy-bars and split sockets-but I don't envisage changing any wheels in the near future.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

I also enjoyed the roller coaster. My wife and children thought it was tame-even at an early age. All of them went on to enjoy the famous rides at Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and the others. I did ground-level activities while they were so engrossed. No1 son's now wife comes from Black pool, and he has been on the Pepsi Max Big One there. Just looking at the video's scares the wotsit out of me.

It's still a pretty scary ride, I can assure you, having ridden it a few times in the past.  There does seem to be a tendency for amusement parks to try to outdo each other, with bigger, higher, faster, and I wonder just how much more development there can be in that direction, as we must soon reach a stage where the g-forces are higher than would be safe for the average man in the street.  

Having said that, I did, until I damaged my hip, enjoy a good Roller Coaster, and the Pleasure Beach does offer a nice range of these for all tastes.  Sadly, I would no longer patronise it, as I liked the pay per ride basis, which meant that I didn't need to try to get my money's worth, and as 30747 doesn't like many of the rides, she could just tag along and soak up the atmosphere at no cost at all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There has been some rain and more is forecast so that will get me out of gardening.

Great time had with Steve yesterday at the Olympic Park but the game wasn't particularly good. Ireland won but Italy made it hard work for them. We booked a cab for the journey home but the traffic was horrendous and it took the best part of 2 hours to do 16 miles.

Will probably do some more soldering etc today.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 13

Morning all from the soggy bottom of the boring borough. Dull wet miserable. But enough about me.

My blood is usually measured in IBUs. (beer geeks will get it) Very tired and now suffering with a full blown cold/fluish thing. My dad was never one for this wimpy limpy man flu crap. Its a cold, not the fecking plague. (or words to that effect) Time to suck it up and get on with the day. However, Mr Lurker may hear my coughing from high above Borough Market.

Working from home again as the arsebadgers I'm supposed to spend the next 6-18 months with still can't find a bloody pen to sign off the work. Oh well, that means I've got the time to do some sloooooooooow smokin' on the old BBQ. Just started up a pork shoulder with mesquite wood chips. The meat has been rubbed and left for 24 hours in my spicy maple rub.

Managed to get a bit of work done on the layout over the weekend. This one module has taken far too much time. My next trick will be to start manufacturing the 1000+ trees that will be needed for the rest of it.

Going to need another pack of Solid Water, and find someone that stocks Evergreen plastic as I need to make some decent concrete footings for the bridge bents. I figure another 12 hours or so and this corner will be complete. (finally)

Thumbs and hearts liberally sprinkled amongst the previous posts. May everyone have a great day and week.

edit: ducking autocorrupt.

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ed I believe the cable railway at Legoland is long gone - it was a safari park installation and I understand Lego got shot of it fairly quickly when they started their major changes.  And as for old fashioned shunting Jock it's 41 years since I last used a Shunting Pole although I did a bit of 'passenger shunting'  (mainly hanging engines on/off) during a dispute in the 1980s - 12 hours a day of that was more than enough for me and I'm far too chubby to even think about it nowadays ;) All part of life'e rich pageant on the 'old railway' and to be honest I much preferred timetable conferences in Switzerland where they happen to have some very nice narrow gauge trains as Chris F will no doubt testify  (they're even better when you don't have to pay to travel on them :sungum: ).

Logs have yet to arrive but the rain most definitely has and is forecast ti worsen.  However the Met Office is still very unsure about the course the remnants of the hurricane might take - this morning Carole showed it as much further north than the Western Approaches but said it was still unclear where it might go.

Have a good day one & all

• Like 18

Morning all, it's grey and gloomy over Borough Market Junction. No rain at present but no doubt it will arrive.

The weekly forecast couldn't decide whether we'll get the remnants of Joaquin next weekend. Chances are the jet stream block will operate and hold it up over the Atlantic and it will slide north or south of us. The result is we could be in for cold Scandanavian origin air. So cold or wet. You pays yer money and takes yer chances.

The weather was nice over the weekend so I took the opportunity to get the garden furniture into store while it was dry and mow the lawn. The mower gave up and shuffled off this mortal coil halfway through the lawn. I suspect I'll wait til spring to obtain a replacement.

We went to Lullingstone Villa on Sunday which is worth a couple of hours. Younger Lurker however had realised that Mrs Lurker had gingerbread biscuits so after about half an hour he was consumed by an overwhelming hunger, shortening our trip.

We didn't use physog/fizzog in our family. But we did use fizzgog. So now I know that was a corruption of a vulgar term.

Hearing about Freddy and the star of the week bear brings back memories of the boys bringing back bears - never as star of the week but because they all took it in turns to bring it home, and then you had to write a journal about what the ebar had done. Cue excited children and despairing parents. Extra homework which needed assistance. Speaking of homework, Mrs Lurker had rearranged the order that Younger Lurker did his homework this week, putting the maths off til last. This worked really well as he loves maths and enthusiastically did partitioning practice. I cut him short after reaching 20(he wanted to do more) as he had comfortably demonstrated he understood all this perfectly up to millions

The boss is away today but I had better get on! have a good day all, and I hope those who are ailing continue to approve - and that Chrisf is not too uncomfortable

• Like 17