RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Aft'noon all,

As good a day as we could have hoped for at the cancer centre today....Is had had her blood test done and was walking back towards me before I had managed to get back from parking the car. The scenic route to Ellesmere followed in lovely seasonal sunshine. The cafe end of the boathouse was too busy for someone on chemo so we asked to sit in a quiet part of the restaurant....

post-7795-0-26375100-1444751405.jpg

post-7795-0-50518200-1444751419.jpg

post-7795-0-56699200-1444751443.jpg

.....smashing lunch and stroll around Ellesmere town afterwards. Then back to the hospital for the review.....all well for chemo 5 tomorrow.

All in all more of a day in the sunshine & scenery than at the hospital.....distraction therapy in action.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 8

.....thanks Dom....'cautiously optimistic' is our new catchphrase.....we're thinking of having a nameplate done for the house to alternate with 'Carpe Diem'.

Rgds

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

2 grandchildren visited after school and have been fed, watered and collected by their Father.  Lovely to see them if only for a couple of hours or so. The only downside is that as they get older our their homework is getting harder and I find that some of the things they are doing now (especially maths) seem to be written in some sort of foreign language gobbledygook.. :dontknow:  :scratchhead:  :banghead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all,

2 grandchildren visited after school and have been fed, watered and collected by their Father.  Lovely to see them if only for a couple of hours or so. The only downside is that as they get older our their homework is getting harder and I find that some of the things they are doing now (especially maths) seem to be written in some sort of foreign language gobbledygook.. :dontknow:  :scratchhead:  :banghead:

Just PM if ever you all get stuck.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Would you believe that we were stuck and then got some advice from the very nice man who's fitting the new boiler!  

The longer he's here I'm becoming even more impressed with his skills.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

I was going to compose a long post relating to various ER's illnesses / injuries / recovery / work. Stewart and Jock have  done most of it for me.

AndyB - I hope that work is resolved sooner rather than later.

Dave - Thinking of you and Is and I hope the treatment will go to plan.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Good to hear some positive news from the ailing, cheers me up to hear that. Odd how we care for each other so, despite only electrons linking us.

That bike in the showroom behind the tasty Camaro is a tiddler, maybe a Honda Grom/MSX 125?  It certainly has the forward leaning Honda 50/70/90/110 derived engine.  Go forever....

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Pete's post last night about his new car reminded me of this:

Husband went to the sheriff's department to report that his wife was missing. 

Husband: My wife is missing. She went shopping yesterday and has not come home.... 

Sergeant: What is her height? 

Husband: Gee, I'm not sure. A little over five-feet tall. 

Sergeant: Weight? 

Husband: Don't know. Not slim, not really fat. 

Sergeant: Color of eyes? 

Husband: Sort of brown I think. Never really noticed. 

Sergeant: Color of hair? 

Husband: Changes a couple times a year. Maybe dark brown now. I can't remember. 

Sergeant: What was she wearing? 

Husband: Could have been pants, or maybe a skirt or shorts. I don't know exactly. 

Sergeant: What kind of car did she go in? 

Husband: She went in my truck. 

Sergeant: What kind of truck was it? 

Husband: A 2015 Ford F150 King Ranch 4X4 with eco-boost 5.0L V8 engine special ordered with manual transmission and climate controlled air conditioning. It has a custom matching white cover for the bed, which has a matching aftermarket bed liner. There are custom leather 6-way seats and "Bubba" floor mats. Also, a trailering package with gold hitch and special wiring hook-ups. DVD with full GPS navigation, satellite radio receiver, 23-channel CB radio, six cup holders, a USB port, and four power outlets. I added special alloy wheels and off-road Michelins. It has custom running boards and indirect wheel well lighting. 
At this point the husband started choking up and crying. 

Sergeant: Take it easy, sir.  We'll find your truck.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening

This wilting at 8 will have to stop, it's becoming a bit of a habit to retire, catch up, flop with an audio book then wake up hours later with a pressing need to go.  Still, I'm guessing that in a few days when I come off the Rivaroxaban I should be able to downgrade the pain killers to perhaps Ibuprofen, which is contraindicated with the blood thinner, which should also reduce the tiredness which I get from opiates.

All this talk of drugs reminds me that we don't seem to have heard from Flavio for a few days?  Ditto, still nothing from Tex for a while.

Also, Debs has again acknowledged my message on FB and seeing that about half the posts there are from ERs, I'm sure she knows we're rooting for her.

Dave, all systems go for Chemo 5 which is great news, as it's one less dose to go, and it's bound to be having some effect now, and I wish Is well for tomorrow's session.  We'll know soon if all is well when she asks for her fish and chip supper.

Back tomorrow.

Nighty night

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (sic).

We had a pleasant day today. Decided to have a 'run out' which started with a cooked breakfast, a look around the shops in Northallerton and then coffee and cream scone in Bedale. All driving done on quiet country roads. A very enjoyable day.

I know some on here are keen stargazers so you may be able to help me. Others please pass over this bit. I have always had a passing interest in astronomy but it never really got off the ground (sorry). I really would like to have a 'closer look at the planets and stars'. In Northallerton there is a shop that sells telescopes. I was quite amazed at what is available compared to when I were a lad. 6 and 8 inch telescopes that are not too big and apparently you can, with a little set up, find any object you want. All at a a price that, whilst isn't cheap, is amazing compared to the mortgage you would have needed not too long ago. The trouble is I would have to take it somewhere quite far from where I live to benefit and so I probably wouldn't get the use to justify the expenditure.

So a question. Are there any observatories with secondary small 'hobby' telescopes that would, for a fee, let Joe Public loose for an hour or two?

Ok, the rest of you, carry on as normal.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Nothing much from me after such a great weekend.

Received 4 invites in the last few days for the various layouts to attend shows.

Still trying to keep below 20 shows in 2016 but its becoming increasingly difficult to refuse shows although one we did have on our list, is now for 2017. We even have one for 2018.

Luckily its a short week at work and Friday night we are off again on our travels.

All the best to those who are undergoing treatments / recovering.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 16

Evening all. Sorry to be awol for a few days, but it's been a trying time.

Julie and I got some sort of bug, and I've more or less shaken it off, but she's still quite poorly, with abdominal pains, joint pain and feeling hot/cold. I've got some remedies from the Pharmacie that seem to be working. It's an embuggerance. It's horrible seeing someone you love in pain.

I've also been dealing with politicals - to wit a member who seems to have taken leave if his reason and has been cyber-bullying a number of people including me. We thought it was over when he resigned (he was vice-chair) but he has since un-resigned (?) and has set up an 'official' Facebook page, inviting only his friends and slating constituency officials, including me. For objecting to him deleting posts from people he disagreed with politically and correcting a number of egregious errors in an email he was intending to send... Except that wasn't me.

So I've stood down and I'm letting the other officers sort it all out with the party at regional level. I must say that it has battered me, taking several days of unpleasant nastiness, including wrecking Julie's birthday. Some people are just too dim to be allowed out. Once it's sorted I may go back, but at the moment I'm not sure the game is worth the candle, when groups of people are actively trying to get rid of you because you don't follow their line precisely.

I hope she's better tomorrow because we're down to welcome some cats into our friends' cattery, as they have been delayed getting back from their holiday in England. Then I think we may come home a day early.

I was supposed to spend some time out here printing the photos for Dan's 40th birthday party. So I brought out a spare printer, with inks, paper etc. It refuses to work. I despise Canon printers... I then tried the printer we have out here and, for some reason, it isn't WYSIWYG - it prints about 90% of the picture. So that - about 60 pictures - will have to be done when we get home.

One bright spot has been seeing Daisy's homework - she has to get photographs taken of her doing 'extreme reading' for a class display. Hers are reading whilst playing a drum kit, standing on a stepladder and hanging upside down. Fun.

So best wishes to all, though I must admit I haven't caught up and probably won't. Time to get Julie's medication. 

Live long and prosper.

Several people have marked my Jump Jimmy Knacker post as 'funny'. Well, possibly.

I'll explain the rules. The game requires a wall, or possibly a large tree. About 20 unruly youths form themselves into two teams. One team is on the receiving end and one of their number stands with his back to the wall (or tree) and spreads his legs. A team member then bends forward and lodges his head between the first boy's thighs. The rest of the team then follow suit, making a sort of centipede of bent bodies. A bit like a long scrum.

The other team then have to take a run up and leapfrog onto the backs of the centipede. They must not fall off, or they lose. If they all get onto the centipede they are allowed to sway, bounce and generally jiggle in an attempt to get the crocodile to collapse. In which case they win. That was how Chris broke his arm.

Did anyone else play such a gentle and civilised game?

(And you should have seen our British Bulldog... played across a field. I shattered a kneecap being swung into a tree.)

Oh, Julie's medicine is called Meteospasmyl. Sounds great.

• Like 2

Morning all (sic).

We had a pleasant day today. Decided to have a 'run out' which started with a cooked breakfast, a look around the shops in Northallerton and then coffee and cream scone in Bedale. All driving done on quiet country roads. A very enjoyable day.

I know some on here are keen stargazers so you may be able to help me. Others please pass over this bit. I have always had a passing interest in astronomy but it never really got off the ground (sorry). I really would like to have a 'closer look at the planets and stars'. In Northallerton there is a shop that sells telescopes. I was quite amazed at what is available compared to when I were a lad. 6 and 8 inch telescopes that are not too big and apparently you can, with a little set up, find any object you want. All at a a price that, whilst isn't cheap, is amazing compared to the mortgage you would have needed not too long ago. The trouble is I would have to take it somewhere quite far from where I live to benefit and so I probably wouldn't get the use to justify the expenditure.

So a question. Are there any observatories with secondary small 'hobby' telescopes that would, for a fee, let Joe Public loose for an hour or two?

Ok, the rest of you, carry on as normal.

A list of Astronomy clubs here, BoD.

http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Counties.aspx

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Several people have marked my Jump Jimmy Knacker post as 'funny'. Well, possibly.

I'll explain the rules. The game requires a wall, or possibly a large tree. About 20 unruly youths form themselves into two teams. One team is on the receiving end and one of their number stands with his back to the wall (or tree) and spreads his legs. A team member then bends forward and lodges his head between the first boy's thighs. The rest of the team then follow suit, making a sort of centipede of bent bodies. A bit like a long scrum.

The other team then have to take a run up and leapfrog onto the backs of the centipede. They must not fall off, or they lose. If they all get onto the centipede they are allowed to sway, bounce and generally jiggle in an attempt to get the crocodile to collapse. In which case they win. That was how Chris broke his arm.

Did anyone else play such a gentle and civilised game?

(And you should have seen our British Bulldog... played across a field. I shattered a kneecap being swung into a tree.)

Oh, Julie's medicine is called Meteospasmyl. Sounds great.

We had a similar game at our school, about the only difference was the name which I cannot remember now except that it was different. Talking of motorcycles when I went to the Canvey show on Sunday on display were a few of these beasts. http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Rocket_III

• Like 7

Evening all. Firstly good wishes to those facing chemo. I really hope the treatments have gone or go well. I am also pleased to hear Jock has cut down a little on the meds. I hope that we hear from absent friends soon.

Here in Derby an early morning email brought another layout withdrawal for our show. Unfortunately the layout owner is ill in hospital. He is a good gent who I has been very helpful to us in the past. I really hope he recovers soon.

Today has been work, work, work. A morning course went well before heading back to work and more issues. The follow up paper work took all night!

• RMweb Premium

Been a busy day and tomorrow I am off to the "Tea Pot" meeting at Warley MRC. I am trying to fit in a visit to one of the Museums in the West Midlands on Thursday before coming home.

Having had a discussion tonight I am retiring from umpiring as next year i am not one of the chosen few for our new multiple Premier League Panel - they want ex players and I ain't an ex player so I will go back to having Saturdays free in the summer.I may miss it but then again I have enjoyed my last two and a half years. 

Sleep well everyone!

Bax