RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Glad the Warley delegates, on both sides of the layouts, have survived to tell the tale. NHN's remark about DJM and Hornby is not entirely fanciful. After all, Hornby have every reason to wish him gone, of course. But so, it seems, have a number of RMwebbers, who cannot see the advantage that another manufacturer brings to our hobby. Quite odd. And the 'vapourware' jibes already sound fatuous when so many of us are revelling in the quality of the O2.

Obviously relieved that Mrs OD has had an easy time in Crewe so far. And William does pretty well on the phone for one not yet 6.

I, on the other hand, am pissed off. As you know, it was camera-in-bladder day on Wednesday - and now I have some sort of infection there. Not nice, not fun. As my water was tested less than a fortnight ago and found to be free of anything interesting, it's hard not to connect the two events. Much tapwater being consumed. Cranberry juice is not so commonly sold here, and Sunday shopping is very limited here, so I shall have to put up and shut up. There, I have.

Hope your Sunday is restful, or, if at NEC, you survive intact.

• Like 1

re post 108252

....and you're just about to see another one Ian....the more manufacturers the merrier if we get better and better offerings, however, lengthy wishlists of products which may or may not happen do no-one any favours and many of them may still end up as 'vapourware'.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

G’night, Jock.

Good Lord! I have a new design of “digital” amplifier arriving next week - that was put together in Northamptonshire............... Handy, though, as it can be used for Bass, Guitar and Acoustic (for me there is an acoustic simulator).

Later, Pete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Overcast here and it must have rained during the night as Robbie was damp after his run round the garden. We will be off to Enfield later for lunch with Mil.

Matthew rang last night and he will be home well before Christmas. He will be flying to Southend so the trip to collect him will be easy too. He is very busy just now with coursework. One of the tasks is a group project and as his group's native speaker of English he has been allocated the task of "minding" those whose spoken English is not adequate for interviewing. One of the group's pronunciation of mosque as Moscow when asking someone about funding caused some confusion.

Tony

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the NEC. Again.

Sore throat from yesterday - too much talking and very little actual working. So that's actually been a good day at the demo stand.

Same again today and M6 joy tonight.

Have the rest of a good Sundayfolks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from the NEC. Again.

Sore throat from yesterday - too much talking and very little actual working. So that's actually been a good day at the demo stand.

Same again today and M6 joy tonight.

Have the rest of a good Sundayfolks.

Cheers,

Mick

Sorry about the sore throat but good that you were able to answer questions and help people. I remember one once who answered my queries by telling me to attend a residential course on soldering. Then there are the two chaps who seem to have been soldering the same piece of track for the last 20 years!

Tony

• Like 1

Morning all from that boring borough again. Last day of freedom for me before boarding the asshat express tomorrow morning for 3 more weeks of the slowest project ever. No doubt the design phase will be overtaken by continental drift.

Mike, it seems that cockwombles have been breeding at an alarming rate in your neck of the woods. Shame its not legal to cull them instead of badgers.

Good luck to everyone at the NEC today. May all your rucksacks be fragrant.

Quiet day yesterday with just a trip to the farmer's market followed by a pint then home. A bit of house cleaning today and some bulk cooking for the week is today's schedule.

Have a good Sunday all.

• Like 17

Storm's gone, can still see lightning to the north-east though. Power thankfully stayed on, though it did flicker a bit.

Bangers and mash cooked and eaten, then a bit of a search to track down two water bottles dad had managed to lose; found them in the linen closet.

About to watch a couple of videos of Warley that've appeared on youtube, then once dad's asleep I'll wander off to the workshop again.

Edited by LisaP4
  • Like 9

Much tapwater being consumed. Cranberry juice is not so commonly sold here, and Sunday shopping is very limited here, so I shall have to put up and shut up. There, I have.

ian

When I had my TURP the physio came in and asked if I liked cranberry juice. I said not much, just drinking it because everyone said that to do it was good. She then said that its benefits were debatable as it was in itself a bladder irritant.

• Like 1

Morning all. Late on parade again thanks to another lie in and a blustery start to the day.

A day filled with the chores of some shopping and ironing the latter while watching the last race of the F1 season.

I hope that everyone attending the Wareley show has a good one and that the quantity of cockwombles is reduced for the various journeys home.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Sitting having a coffee in that hell hole of a festering armpit that is the metro centre. The calm belfore the storm that is my yearly xmas shop. Oh how I loathe and detest it.

There are people queueing to take selfies in front of the Xmas trees. What's that all about? None of AndrewC's descriptions do them justice.

The shops are just starting to open for 'browsing'. People are queueing for that too. Bolleaux.

It's going to be a long, long morning.

I may be able to look back in when I get back home

I may be being held in cells on a charge of manslaughter due to deminished responsibility.

Very blustery here too.  Just got in after a morning walk on the beach in 50mph winds.  The tide was coming in and spray was being blown in so I could hardly see through my glasses when I got home.  At least it loosened up my very stiff back a bit, and it was dry.

Shopping beckons later after a midday snooze, as we had a disturbed night as Mrs G was very restless.  When she is unable to sleep, so am I, but when it is me unable to sleep, she usually remains completely oblivious.

• RMweb Gold

I was very impressed with the Oakwood Press at Warley yesterday.

I went to look for a book (which they had) and was told that the show deal was all their stock at the show would be rounded up to the nearest pound, and then 50% deducted from the price!

This was an offer I could not refuse so came away with five books on Welsh railways, instead on one.

Christmas Day will mainly be spent reading (well after eating and drinking duties have been attended to).

Telfland is currently wet and blustery, so a morning inside the house is the favourite option at present.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

How odd, an entire post has vanished.  So in summary - OD should now have a PM I told him I was sending but which he wasn't expecting, the Warley demonstrators and exhibitors should have commiserations for failing voices and aching feet (delete as appropriate and hope today goes well), there were some comments about the alleged efficacy or otherwise of cranberry juice (medical etc advice varies - between two extremes), anything else has now slipped my mind but have a good day one and all.

And hoping that this posts does (post)

PS  My Tesco discount card has arrived so today will involve a trip to test it.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was very impressed with the Oakwood Press at Warley yesterday.

I went to look for a book (which they had) and was told that the show deal was all their stock at the show would be rounded up to the nearest pound, and then 50% deducted from the price!

This was an offer I could not refuse so came away with five books on Welsh railways, instead on one.

Christmas Day will mainly be spent reading (well after eating and drinking duties have been attended to).

Telfland is currently wet and blustery, so a morning inside the house is the favourite option at present.

Just as well I didn't go near their stand then - I came home anyway with three Wild Swan books on the subject of railways in Wales/the borders; so I'm not upset just somewhat better off and with my arms less rested than if I had visited the Oakwood stand. 

• Like 10

Jock, as an admirer of Johnson, may I quote from Boswell's "Life of Johnson"?

Another Scot in Johnson's company, John Ogilvie, had remarked that Scotland had a great many noble wild prospects, and Johnson said: "I believe, Sir, you have a great many. Norway, too, has noble wild prospects; and Lapland is remarkable for prodigious wild prospects. But Sir, let me tell you, the noblest prospect that a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!"

It's rather easier to take a joke against oneself or one's own when it's genuinely witty and elegantly phrased.

One of my regular drinking buddies, no fan of Boswell, or of Scott, for that matter, habitually referring to them as "brown nosers", often mentions the above and other, similar, remarks by Johnson. I respond that he's saying that while sitting in a pub in Sheffield, a city to which he came nearly forty years ago to obtain his two degrees in archaeology and find a fulfilling post with the South Yorkshire Archaeology Service, and which he shows no sign of leaving soon.

Then we get some more beer in and go back to trying to out-pun each other...

Gordon(bluebottle), thanks for clarifying exactly where that comment came from, and in its proper context! It has, as I did(!) been misquoted ever since, especially by those that enjoy teasing a Scottish friend, so I've been the butt of it often. I too admire Johnson, especially for his aim to help educate the masses, and I also rather enjoy Boswell's life! I do agree with your drinking buddy I suspect, although I'd rather express that as being in awe of the great man! I am lucky enough to have in my book collection, a very early copy of Johnson's schoolboy dictionary, although sadly it doesn't have much monetary value as it has been well used, and at one time poorly, and cheaply rebound. Thank you for triggering my interest - I've been in the study digging out the couple of Johnson volumes I have, and of course the Boswell, to revisit them!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 9

Hi, Jock,

Recipe duly sent. Should have mentioned to use an oven thermometer as manufacturers are only obliged to get their oven temperature to within +/-15oC of the set point.

Good habit to get into for reliable results.  

Like John's archaeology expedition. Undeservedly eclipsed, I far, by others unearthing Queen Nefertiti.  :sorry:

I recently excavated my own kitchen cupboard and binned loads of stuff. On reflection I should have sent it to Tate Modern. 

Ian OD, I'm feeling your pain.  :diablo_mini:

The discounted book deal sounds great, but hopefully they were originally more expensive than £1.01 ! ;)

Have a nice day everyone. Andy

• Like 8