RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hi Don

The problem in this case is that property is not registered - it was purchased in 1935 and has remained in the family since. Yes, my father lived in the house for 80 years since he was 12, refusing to move when he married my mother which is what led to irretrievable breakdown. Who wants to live with their parents or parents-in-law once married with kids, unless under the financial cosh? Anyway, the lawyers were unable to find any trace of the property at the land registry. Hence the local difficulty.

Mal

Finding the deeds would make things easier but if the family has occupied it for 80 years it shouldn't be too much of a problem (except solicitors upping the bill) providing of course the family all agree on the ownership.......

That is one reason you should charge a nominal rent if you allow a family member to live in a property belonging to you it precludes any claim of ownership by possession.

Don

Edit the nominal rent is often termed a peppercorn rent.

Edited by Donw

Brian - I hope the results remain normal

DD - Having been in a slightly similar position last year with my mum, my thoughts are with you and Mrs DD

An even earlier ER again tomorrow

Night all

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Finding the deeds would make things easier but if the family has occupied it for 80 years it shouldn't be too much of a problem (except solicitors upping the bill) providing of course the family all agree on the ownership.......

That is one reason you should charge a nominal rent if you allow a family member to live in a property belonging to you it precludes any claim of ownership by possession.

Don

Judging by comparatively recent experience the Land Registry seem rather keen to see proof of title (understandable perhaps in view of some well publicised recent cases?) so with one recent registration process I not only finished up providing transfer of title to me & my wife from my father but from my grandfather to my father and from earlier relatives to my grandfather together with the documents relating to what they had purchased in the first place.  I don't think our solicitor was necessarily the brightest button in the drawer (especially as he sent the Land Registry incorrect information at least once if not twice) which no doubt was less than helpful to them but they do appear to wish to see proof of title before registration. although I'm sure someone far more expert than me might confirm that one way or the other.  The really important bit seems to be that which shows the boundaries.

I understood from our solicitor that there is a flat fee for dealing with Land Registration on the part of solicitors but no doubt that would not include any sort of document searches (I did my own in this particular case as they were all in my possession - somewhere or other.

• RMweb Premium

! For nearly 4 years or so now, I've become quite pleased with being normal!

ER and normal = oxymoron...

:jester:

Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Judging by comparatively recent experience the Land Registry seem rather keen to see proof of title (understandable perhaps in view of some well publicised recent cases?) so with one recent registration process I not only finished up providing transfer of title to me & my wife from my father but from my grandfather to my father and from earlier relatives to my grandfather together with the documents relating to what they had purchased in the first place.  I don't think our solicitor was necessarily the brightest button in the drawer (especially as he sent the Land Registry incorrect information at least once if not twice) which no doubt was less than helpful to them but they do appear to wish to see proof of title before registration. although I'm sure someone far more expert than me might confirm that one way or the other.  The really important bit seems to be that which shows the boundaries.

I understood from our solicitor that there is a flat fee for dealing with Land Registration on the part of solicitors but no doubt that would not include any sort of document searches (I did my own in this particular case as they were all in my possession - somewhere or other.

That would be the usual case Mike. The boundaries are important it is wise to check what your solicitor sends.  In the old days one prepared an Epitome of Title which was a list of documents relating to the title which would be conveyances, probates and any other documents. The quality of a title was judged by the length of the epitome the longer it went back the better the title.  We did it all ourselves in 1975 which required much research. It did however give us the confidence to know what our solicitors were doing ever since.

Where there are no deeds you can claim title by possession. When you didn't own it but have fenced as used it unchallenged for a number of years it is usually termed adverse possession. In Mals case recipts for utility bills for a number of years can be useful to show possession.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Mel's difficulty in finding the deeds for his fathers house reminded me that when I moved to Burnham-on-Crouch back in 1983 there was a great wodge of paperwork for the cottage I purchased, some of it dating back to the 1890's or before. A bit of subsequent research revealed that the cottage was built in 1862. The paperwork also revealed that as built it was simply a 'two up, two down', the scullery extension, which had become the kitchen had been added just before or after WW1 and the bathroom about 1950. Before that there was no bath and the toilet was an outhouse in the back garden. My one regret is that I didn't take copies of them (if it was legal to do so). Regretably after five years and wearing out two cars in the daily commute and a few other factors I decided to move closer to work and sold up, fortunately I was able to sell the cottage at almost three times what I had paid for it. This was due largely to the 'sparks effect' when the Southminster branch was electrified a year or two after I moved there.

• Like 8

It's been Wee-ing down for 2 days, . . again.

And today in local news, Our local authority has today approved planning permission for a SOLAR farm just to the west of Peterlee. . . . .HONEST!!! ITS TRUE!!!

Goodnight Everyone . . . Sleep well.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 6

Morning all,

Not such good fettle this morning I'm afraid - the joke about a space hopper has rather backfired on me as the swelling, which seemed slightly better yesterday, has today grown so large I can hardly walk! Looks like I'll be talking to the medics first thing for advice, as it does seem to be just fluid, but I might need it drained.

Joanna, being rather superstitious (born on October 31st!), was stressing about getting the Christmas decorations and tree taken down and safely stowed in the loft. Luckily, grandson Matthew pronounced himself fit enough to do it as I simply couldn't manage the ladder, let alone putting all the boxes up there! Good news from him after his heart operation - he is hoping for permission to go back to work, part time initially, after visiting the wonderful surgeons at Basildon Cardiac Unit for a check on his fitness.

Baz, I hope the funeral went as well as any such event can. Definitely a reminder why we should 'carpe diem'? I like this stanza from Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khyyám's 'Rubaiyat' :

.....Oh, my beloved, fill the cup that clears

To-day of past regrets and future fears -

To-morrow? - Why , to-morrow I may be be

Myself with yesterday's sev'n thousand years.

Pete(pH), that is a lovely story about the tapes - hearing your wee ones voices from so many years ago must have brought a tear or two to your eyes?

Peter(DD), perhaps the medic's apparent lack of urgency over mother-in-law's problem is a good sign that they are not over worried. On the other hand, it could be the usual lack of respect afforded to someone that age, which seems all too common at the moment. Our thoughts are with Mrs DD and of course you - please tell her that Joanna and I are thinking of her. I hope you do get some action tomorrow as the not knowing must be very frustrating!

Safe journey to Mal and Gabe, and a successful completion of what sounds like rather an onerous task.

Brian(BSW01), good luck with tomorrow's consultation. Fingers crossed that you get the 'green light'.

Dave(TG), best wishes to 'Is' for her meeting with her medical team - no doubt you've planned something afterwards to cheer her?

I hope all others coping with illness feel better, and at the same time, I'd like also to wish all those like Duncan, who have to risk life and limb on our road network as part of their job.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night insomniacs!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 7

Hi Ed, yes I'm not in line to inherit the house - but as I'm sorting through the mountains of junk the lawyers asked that if I came across them would I send them along. Won't go out of my way, but if I do happen to locate them I would rather maintain good relations with them meantime. You never know when you may need a good turn from them.

Hope you got through to the hospital...

Mal

Mal,

Can you at least file a claim on the estate to cover your expenses? I'll bet the lawyers have their meters running flat-out. You should too.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick visit after spending 5 hours at A & E with Beth.  Fortunately what we thought was a broken bone in her foot has been diagnosed as an inflamed tendon.  Very nice Dr's and nurses and excellent care, just a lot of waiting.   Peace of mind has been restored and she's now in bed having taken some pain relief.

Sorry to hear about Jock's self inflating space hopper.   I hope it get's sorted out soon.  

Goodnight all.

Jamie

• Like 2

Hi Phil,

We moved from Paisley to Arizona in 1982 with three kids - ages 5, 3 and 2. We arrived in August. Talk about thermal shock!

Andy

We had lived for 10 years on the eastern side of England before we moved to Vancouver, and had got used to the lower precipitation. Moving back to a climate closer to that of the west of Scotland (official precipitation figures within 2 inches per year of Greenock's) was a hydraulic (?) shock.

Pete

Morning all,

Not such good fettle this morning I'm afraid - the joke about a space hopper has rather backfired on me as the swelling, which seemed slightly better yesterday, has today grown so large I can hardly walk! Looks like I'll be talking to the medics first thing for advice, as it does seem to be just fluid, but I might need it drained.

Joanna, being rather superstitious (born on October 31st!), was stressing about getting the Christmas decorations and tree taken down and safely stowed in the loft. Luckily, grandson Matthew pronounced himself fit enough to do it as I simply couldn't manage the ladder, let alone putting all the boxes up there! Good news from him after his heart operation - he is hoping for permission to go back to work, part time initially, after visiting the wonderful surgeons at Basildon Cardiac Unit for a check on his fitness.

Baz, I hope the funeral went as well as any such event can. Definitely a reminder why we should 'carpe diem'? I like this stanza from Fitzgerald's translation of Omar Khyyám's 'Rubaiyat' :

.....Oh, my beloved, fill the cup that clears

To-day of past regrets and future fears -

To-morrow? - Why , to-morrow I may be be

Myself with yesterday's sev'n thousand years.

Pete(pH), that is a lovely story about the tapes - hearing your wee ones voices from so many years ago must have brought a tear or two to your eyes?

Peter(DD), perhaps the medic's apparent lack of urgency over mother-in-law's problem is a good sign that they are not over worried. On the other hand, it could be the usual lack of respect afforded to someone that age, which seems all too common at the moment. Our thoughts are with Mrs DD and of course you - please tell her that Joanna and I are thinking of her. I hope you do get some action tomorrow as the not knowing must be very frustrating!

Safe journey to Mal and Gabe, and a successful completion of what sounds like rather an onerous task.

Brian(BSW01), good luck with tomorrow's consultation. Fingers crossed that you get the 'green light'.

Dave(TG), best wishes to 'Is' for her meeting with her medical team - no doubt you've planned something afterwards to cheer her?

I hope all others coping with illness feel better, and at the same time, I'd like also to wish all those like Duncan, who have to risk life and limb on our road network as part of their job.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night insomniacs!

....afraid that I'm at work for this one Jock....Is's sister is taking her and they're going shopping between appointments.

Dave

Morning All,

It is another rather dark and dreary morning.

There isn't a lot else to report at the moment, so I guess it is time for a coffee.

Fingers crossed that all goes well for you today, Jock.  I hope they can get it sorted out quickly.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

Spot on, thank you Jock.

It was pointed out to me that Consultants are operating and doing all sorts of wondrous things before they have an opportunity to study scan results.

I did point out that maybe they should look at scan results before they started operating.

Can't win in that environment though.

• RMweb Premium

According to the weather guessers it should be foggy...hope!

Funeral went well. Attended the wake afterwards and a yoast was drunk by a little group of operators, the Ynysybbl Fach Chapel of Face workers and Coal Hewers to an absent friend. Just do, must dig out my copy of the Rubayat.

Hope all goes well for those with medical visits and concerns today.

Her indoors off for preteaching swim so was up early. Tea is being consumed.

John, you and I know that the councillors/planners in Peterlee (the place to be as I T was once marketed) are bonkers. Solar farms! Hope they are rust and wind proof.

So have a good day everyone

Baz

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

Busy day today, not helped by having to move the car yet again so that it does not block next door's gate.  As is so often the case, some dozy object has parked in the dead centre of a space that would otherwise accommodate two cars.  After porridge it's up and away to meet Dr Colo-Rectal or one of his team.  Perhaps there will be a full and frank discussion of endoscopies and laxatives.  Perhaps there won't.  Then it's back home to write a report of last night's LCGB meeting and make a start on composing feedback on my Swiss holiday for the travel company.  At least the ironing is up to date.  It took ages.

Until tomorrow, with best wishes to all who ail or otherwise need them

Chris

• RMweb Gold

A reasonable sleep last night although did have a few hours awake early morning.

Back to the usual grind this morning with our trains running late. No reason given apart fro method Rigate Reigate shuttle being short of train crew. Some things don't seem to change with the new year.

Just hoping that I can remain awake all day.

EDIT for bad typos

Train 15 late into LBG in the end as delays just compounded up.

Edited by roundhouse

Good morning all

Masonry repairs were duly completed before the heavens opened yesterday afternoon. I'd had the bag of cement a few weeks so crossed fingers it actually sets. Back next week to replace the rotten larch lap panels with feather edge boarding.

Shopping with dad (86) this morning then a visit to mum (89) in the nursing home.

Best wishes to those with medical challenges today and ongoing.

Be back soon.

• Like 2