The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all from a sunny Scottish HQ, and congratulations to Mike on the new arrival!

We're into the last 3 days of this Parliament here in Scotland (it finishes on Wednesday night - not Thursday as I'd previously thought, so I've go an extra day of Purdah that I didn't know about!

Had a busy weekend with heading down to Durham on Friday afternoon and then to Harrogate on Saturday for my cousin's daughter's christening. Then washed the car, made Sunday lunch (with Dad) for everyone and then drove back to Edinburgh via Glasgow!

I'm now in work for a rest - though not for long as I'm leaving early today to go skiing at Hillend dry slope. This will be a novelty - first time I've skied there in daylight! Then off for fondue at a French restaurant in town.

I'm firmly resisting temptation on the Sutton Class 24 at the moment. Though if they do the Tyne Dock - Consett variant I might crumble... Or a 25 or 27... I've been looking through the thread on here and spotted that Dave (Torr Giffard) was a regular contributor.

Hope all are well or improving!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

We're into the last 3 days of this Parliament here in Scotland (it finishes on Wednesday night - not Thursday as I'd previously thought, so I've go an extra day of Purdah that I didn't know about!

Purdah! I do recall in 1997, prior to the General Election, that the work I was a consultant to had to be stopped for that reason - the Acting Chairman of the BR Board came to see us to say stop work - and the Big 6 consultants were laid off, while I, and my client, he then still a BR employee, were required to stooge about awaiting developments after the new Government was formed. It made for a pleasant Summer, with very little to do, really, and my client then got another job, so I was left waiting for a decision from the Secretary of State, via Whitehall. As the task was further privatisation of a remaining BR organisation, that never came, and by October I had been released.

In the meantime, my fees had been earned inter-alia by helping the head of the organisation - a thoroughly bright and personable Scots lady - with understanding about certain aspects of car purchase, as well as checking resale values on her husband's company Mercedes, which he had been offered at lease-end. Purdah is not all bad news!

• Like 15

Purdah is not all bad news!

Not long after I started in the Scottish Executive (as it was then) I was working in Private Office (I was a private secretary to some of the spin doctors) during the Purdah for the 2003 elections and of course everything came to a complete halt for a month. I'd not long started in the job, so didn't have mountains of filing to do (then again nor did most of my colleagues as it's for policy teams not Private Office to file stuff). As a result, we spent a good chunk of Purdah playing hangman and nipping out for ice lollies...

Sounds like you had an enjoyable Purdah too! (Purdah is considered by some as politically incorrect now, and many prefer the term "pre-election period")

• Like 14

Pretty nice warm and sunny day here in sunny Teignmouth today. It makes up for the cold weekend.

If I had been an earlier riser today I would have seen the Westlands flypast at around 10.50. However, I completely forgot to look.

"No One Loves You More Than Me" an early Rolling Stones recording has been found in Torquay. Apparently recorded before they became famous. Will be on Spotlight tonight at 6.30.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Boaty McBoatface. Now, if that doesn't bring a smile to your face then....    :unknw_mini:

There's a few people objecting to the name on the basis that it's not a boat, but a ship.

So Shippy McShipface it is then. (Try saying that quickly three times)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

There's a few people objecting to the name on the basis that it's not a boat, but a ship.

Cheers,

Mick

Or even, to add a slight amendment - Shippy McShipshape! :jester:

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the 'Like' ratings following the happy event Saturday - for those who need to know the important details (as I will have to tell everyone at work) - baby was 6lb 3oz and has no name yet - whilst he was a bump he was called 'Bruce'. In a few years I may have to take out Family Membership again at the Club - all my three boys went but were never really interested much and although the youngest is still modelling, it's 'Games Workshop' fantasy stuff.

Mike

Now working backwards through the weekends posts I see a "congratulations" is in order, so, congratulations Mike and family :)

• Like 9

I'd propose "Tuggy McTugworth";  great if the crew were out on the pull. 

Anyway, in other nautical news, the MiL has landed on Komodo island, previously famous for its leathery-skinned, poisonous-tongued inhabitants.

Now more so.   

• Like 2

Cheers,

Mick

It's a strange thing that boats and ships are quite clearly defined by mariners. 

But it is also strange that when you meet a fellow crew man that has worked on ships you ask them what boats they have been on.  In this instant referring to ships as boats.

Agree that Shippy McShipface would be hard to say when you were shiPfaced.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, in other nautical news, the MiL has landed on Komodo island, previously famous for its leathery-skinned, poisonous-tongued inhabitants.

Now more so.

My Mum was very fond of any tv programmes about animals. If we took her anywhere, we always had to consider that she couldn't walk too far, or walk up or down inclines, steps etc. Knowing she liked animals we took her to Colchester Zoo. I warned her it was quite hilly but there was plenty to see anyway. Mum informed me that she wanted to see the Komodo dragons. So off we set and clearly no incline was beyond her. When we saw them she looked a little disappointed, as they were about 30 inches long. She said she was convinced they were bigger when she saw them on television. I said it was probably because she had a wide screen TV.

Later in the afternoon Mum said perhaps it was Chester Zoo that had the adult dragons.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning. Way too many pages to go back through, away up in northern Minnesota with no local network connection so was only able to make fleeting views or RMWeb.

Congratulations and condolences where appropriate.

Managed to POE and headed north for some R&R. Uneventful trip as few folks are heading that way this time of year, by the end of May it'll be a completely different picture as hoards invade the northern parts for summer weekend vacation spots. 

The weather was and is perfect for maple sap and therefore syrup production. Overnight several degrees below freezing, and daytime into the upper 30's F with bright sunny skies.

Net result, our arms HURT! Our friend has 70+ trees tapped this year and between the three of us we had to retrieve whatever sap was accumulating in the gallon containers on each tree into 5 gallon buckets and walk them back to the house/evaporator. Start out about 1/2 mile fro the house and work our way closer. This was repeated three times a day recovering between 35-50 gallons each time! In between, you stoke the fire in the evaporator, relax, eat, drink then do it all over again.

A few shots of the area, the barely visible white containers about a foot or so above ground are the sap buckets (one gallon milk containers)...

attachicon.gifScenery-1.jpg

attachicon.gifScenery-2.jpg

attachicon.gifScenery-3.jpg

attachicon.gifScenery-4.jpg

and the evaporator, myself and our intrepid host attending, Mrs eschewing the photo to be the photographer in the second one

attachicon.gifEvaporator-2.jpg

attachicon.gifEvaporator-1.jpg

finally, a small finch called the Common Redpoll, congregates in flocks of up to two hundred and we had a flock I'd estimate around 100+ at the bird feeders all weekend.

Here is a shot of one feeder rather largely "populated", and a close-up of one of the flock.

attachicon.gifRedpoll-1.jpg

attachicon.gifRedpoll-2.jpg

Off in a moment to drop Jemma at the airport, then back and working for a couple of hours before heading to the airport and New York myself.

-2 and partly cloudy here, expecting 11 for the high.

Have a good start to your week.

Thanks Ian, I just love maple syrup, but I've never seen how it was made before.

• RMweb Gold

Or even, to add a slight amendment - Shippy McShipshape! :jester:

What I can't understand about this naming lark is how the Scottishism 'Mac/Mc' has crept in?  

The ship is being built in England, in a rather nice revival of the Cammell Laird yard at Birkenhead, and will belong to an organisation based in Swindon.  Which all adds up to a strong GWR association which in turn leads to the use of names such as Brunel or Churchward, simples.

• Like 4

The lack of an ER photo at Ally Pally can be laid at my feet.  It was me what took a camera then left it on the SWC stand.  A very good weekend.  I used public transport on Saturday because of alcohol intake, although only 1½ pints during the evening because of Sunday.  But about £4-50 a pint was a factor! 

Up early on Sunday, cycle to church then to Greenwich for DLR and Overground to Canonbury, then cycle (mainly uphill) to Ally Pally.  A day on the SWC stand then reverse journey to church for Stainer's Crucifixion, then home.

Today has been spent in Beckenham, knocking down a garden shed, which will be replaced by the railway shed; then tonight to the monthly SEGOG (South East Gauge O Guild) meeting.  Both by bike, of course.

Bill

• Like 18

The link for the Research Vessel naming has now spread over the USA - the mind boggles at what they may well end up with now.

Probably “The Donald”.

Can I admit to a sneaking liking for Boaty McBoatface?

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Boaty McBoatface. Now, if that doesn't bring a smile to your face then....    :unknw_mini:

Oh yeah, that's been picked up by German news as well! :jester: Makes me wonder whether there might also have been other unwise suggestions, such as "Titanic" ...

• Like 1

Oh yeah, that's been picked up by German news as well! :jester: Makes me wonder whether there might also have been other unwise suggestions, such as "Titanic" ...

I'm sure the competition organisers have a sinking feeling about that possibility.