Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chris, like yourself I retired today but two years later, and like yourself it couldn't come soon enough. The cockwombles were starting to take over when I retired and those colleagues who could followed me out of the door over the next couple of years. Best of luck today Jock and Ian (OD) I hope that things work out for Alison. Weather looks to be fair today so a walk into town beckons so be back later.

• Like 14

Bright sunshine in this corner of Wales today - after a start that was ffffffreezing.

I have been informed of our destination. We will be on our way to it when I've remembered where the crowbar is so that I can get the said direction provider to move.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

The farrier was due today. So I set off the 2 km to the horses, fed them, tied them up in approved Deb fashion by attaching the lead-rope to string on the fence, and most unusually, set to washing Varian's bottom. Sadly, once Bronte had finished her nosh, she snapped the string holding her lead-rope to the fence and set off across the field at a gallop. The whole idea of the string is that it snaps, rather than the horse's neck. Yes, really, if they panic. Fortunately, Laurent the farrier then appeared. Once Bronte saw us taking Varian out of the paddock, she came running and allowed Laurent to catch her. We tied them up and he set to work, while I pulled a zillion burrs out of Varian's tail. Trust me, when a horse passes wind you know about it when standing at that end. Crikey. And soon after the tail was lifted for something more major, so I stood well clear.

Sherry is keeping an eye on Brittany Ferries' website in view of current strike actions. She is due to sail from Caen tonight. I expect to travel on 13th April, but if Alison is hors de combat I may need to be here for her, or at least the ungrateful brats. Hmm.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Glued to 'The Night of The Generals' on some near unheard of tv channel last night - must be the first time I have seen it since its original release in the late'60s so I'd completely forgotten the rather nice steamy interlude at the Gare De L'Est (not that I knew back then that it was the Gare De L'Est).  A bit of online delving today revealed the amusing fact that Donald Pleasance, in a relatively minor role, was paid almost twice the combined fees paid to Omar Sharif and Peter O'Tools - a vagary of the way performers were contracted in those days.

Anyway it's bright and sunny out there although a little chilly, the dustbins have been emptied and associated additional items also removed as they should have been (clothes recycling day as well today), and it being faux Friday we shall be heading for Waitrose - probably Tilehurst - before too long.  As for departures from employment on redundancy I can't actually remember the day on which I finished on the big railway but due to incompetence in the personnel dept it was several months after it should have been although it did mean I got 34 full years in - before leaving 16 years ago this year .  And, similarly to others, it was really the right time as cockwomblism was starting to come in with a vengeance; and fortunately I walked straight into a new, occasional, career in a signal engineering company where the last thing on anybody's mind was any sort of cockwomblism or similar nonsense although I had to deal with a few such beasts in Railtrack.

Have a good day one & all - especially those having close encounters with the medical fraternity and their test procedures (various).

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A headline text from Alison says they've proclaimed her arteries to be in excellent nick. A fine result, although medication may still be needed. Relief all round here.

I told her that ERs folk were rooting for her. Made all the difference, thankyou all!

• Like 8

Morning all - best wishes to Jock and ChrisF for the proceedings of the day. Condolences to OldD having to handle brats, hopefully they are probably NOT representative of their generation (we live in hope?) so you've just lucked out...

Another work day in the dungeon yesterday with absolutely nothing to report :( talk about BORING!

Today sees some improvement however - the Mrs arrives this afternoon.

Since I have to be here for two weeks during the client "go live", we decided it'd be nice for her to come out here for a 3+ day weekend.

She actually spent the first six years of her life about 10 miles from here, as her dad worked for Northwest Airlines and they were then living in New York (Long Island) when she was born.

We're going to find the two houses she lived in, the hospital she was born in, her elementary school (all STILL around via google maps) then explore the eastern end of Long Island, the famed "Hamptons" and Montauk Point. The hardest part of the entire trip will be picking her up at JFK at RUSH HOUR :O she is due to arrive at 4:45PM, provided she gets a seat on the flight she's shooting for!

<minor RANT>

Oh, did I mention I'm giving up Model Railways? Having been stupid enough to fall into the "Peco Bullshit Bullhead track" thread, I realize I am a complete incompetent and am wasting valuable resources being so stupid as to use and model with PECO track, apparently I have no idea what I'm doing and should leave modeling to those superior beings that do (YA RIGHT!!!).

I know it's my fault for venturing there in the first place, but... 

Good GRIEF, how does a straightforward announcement thread that should simply be met with either;

1) Mmm, I like the sound of that and will probably partake - yes it WOULD be nice to have points but you know that'll come later, it DID when they announced/introduced Streamline :)

2) That's carp and I'll NEVER indulge it's so far off the mark I'm going to make my own track starting with smelting my own steel...  :O

Beyond THAT it shouldn't be much of a discussion, apparently I'm wrong, and by the way everyone HATES everyone else with a different opinion - are they all POLITICIANS??

<minor RANT off>

OK back to work for me - all the rest of you "at ease"...

Carpe diem or what ever else you'd like to carpe (EXCLUDING good looking females running for office, that's a NO NO, Jamie! :jester: )

• Like 4

Ian (A) I know of which you speak. Once upon a time the internet was a wonderful place. It was difficult to connect to and only people with working brains and IQs that could be measured with more than a single digit were able to enjoy it. We had things like relay chat and newsgroups where there was very little flaming, and what there was quickly got stamped on.

The world was always filled with spiteful little weasels and self opinionated arsebadgers. Luckily these creatures could be easily avoided. We've all known the total jerk in any crowd and simply side stepped him/her. Today the internet has become a place where these arsebadgers and c**ntpuffins can spread their black and white views, self importance, and narcissism. Fortunately for us we have twit (or is that tw@t ) filters. When I come across someone who should have their online presence terminated with extreme force, I simply filter them out of my existence. Try it, very therapeutic.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from a slightly overcast village. I was about to post this morning when the boss decreed that we should watch something that we taped last night. It would not have been prudent to stay on the laptop then jobs had to be done. Various tasks were performed prior to lunch, then some tricky phone calls and finally time to do some browsing. No 2 son and DiL are coming for dinner so my only tasks are to clear my 'carp' of the dining room table and to make sure that the oven turns itself on. Apparently I'm not trusted to cook stew and dumplings for the family. I might evern try and clear a bit more of the modelling room floor.

Jock, I hope that the day goes well and that your results are OK.

ChrisF likewise with poorly pal. Enjoy the meal. It's nearly 14 years since I last worked and I've never regretted leaving.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Ian(A): threads like the one you mention usually say all that can usefully be said within the first half dozen or so pages. Sometimes fewer.   After that I refer you to AndrewC's post above.

• RMweb Gold

Today is a fine and sunny day which is good.

This is because I decided to make sure all my stuff was ready for the7/8ths demo I'm giving at Church Stretton exhibition this coming Saturday.

However, in order to check and stack all the required bits and bobs prior to loading the van, I put it all out on the drive.

This was because I realized that there was not enough room in my shed (yes it is grey!).

So I had to unload the grey shed, but also needed stuff from the green one.

The stuff I required was at the back so I had to unload this one as well.

Once I'd got the stuff out, I then discovered there was more bits in the garage roof, so..................

You guessed i!  I've had to remove stuff out of the garage in order to get the stuff out of its roof.

So now I have piles of 7/8ths stuff ready to be checked, but  I can't do this until I've reloaded the green shed and the garage.

Only then can I start checking. I have everything I need.

I already know I have to do a bit of remedial soldering on some wiring for one of my Simplex locos

Just remembered.....................Charge the batteries!

I think I shall have a cup of tea and take some chocolate, preferably a couple of large bars.

It'll be all right in the end, but I must remember to stop getting sidetracked by all these shed activities.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

If it was the spring clip would probably have the opposite effect says me with tears in my eyes from the thought.

Jamie

You are using it upside down.

Afternoon All

Ian (A) I know of which you speak. Once upon a time the internet was a wonderful place. It was difficult to connect to and only people with working brains and IQs that could be measured with more than a single digit were able to enjoy it...

Ah, Yes! I remember it well (to quote M. Maurice Chevalier). My first desktop computer (as opposed to the mainframe I was learning how to programme at Uni [cue hollow laughter]) was an Apple IIe - which arrived in my lab in pieces, not only did I have to slot in the mother board, the video card and other components into the chassis, but I also had to connect the peripherals using identically coloured cables using only the number of pins on the male plugs to match the appropriate number of receptacles in the female sockets (and I recall the Apple IIe had RCA,s mini-DINs and a DE-15 connector), no easy-peasy, namby-pamby colour-coded cable for US. We were REAL computer users! And if you had the brains and patience to assemble a fully functional desktop computer, you were probably far more intellectually competent than those mumblies that nowadays post things like "U CAL THAT A MODL TRAIN STATION ROFL" (note deliberate use of caps).

I may have said this before, but "The more I see of men the more I like dogs". (Madame de Staël ). One must never forget that if the median IQ of a population is 100, then fully fifty percent of such a population is dumber than that!

And on that cheerful note, I must say my goodbyes and must prepare for the return of Mrs iD and the Wolfpack (thank goodness the cleaning lady came today - so everything's ship-shape and Bristol fashion).

Id

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The new dishwasher has been delivered. No carpentry to the kitchen cabinets was required, the various hoses and cables were identical to the old ones. However I am not as flexible as I used to be and squeezing in between the kitchen waste bin and assorted sink traps seems harder than when I put in the previous dishwasher. It doesn't appear to leak at the places where I attached the hoses so I am happy. Aditi is reading the manual, she feels she needs to read the plate stacking suggestions. I thought I was going to have to program something on it. However after finding what our local water supply hardness is in German units (yes, that info is on the Internet!) it would apear that our water hardness is the same as the factory setting on the dishwasher.

Any further programming today will be restricted to changing the default 3 on the APT-e set. Any suggestions for meaningful up to four digit numbers?

• Like 4