Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Some cracking Diesels in the Dutchy beers on here in the Rake tonight with one 7.8%

Excuse the Cumbrian beer mat.

Had a goid chat with a bloke from Vancouver Island who is a part time actor and beer blogger and another beer monster till my other half arrived.

post-1557-0-31890900-1461262660_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Yup scary, as I'm 57.....

Computers - my first experience was Basic on 5 hole tape made on a Creed tape printer thingy, run through a Ferranti Pegasus that had been given to the school by a local company when they upgraded to something that used slighty less than a megawatt or so.  Valves (thermionic, not steam), 3 per card, zillions of cards....and heat.  Like...HEAT.  Output could be on those neon tubes with 10 little pins.  The next school year there was an extra classroom, and the electronics club had a lot of components to play with. 

Edit to say my computer skills have not advanced since then!

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7

Yet another one of those days that didn't go according to plan. Finished late and thanks to the client. They changed the requirements at the start of the job and then decided today to change their mind and go back to the original requirements. Thanks to this I've got yet another day at Shooters Hill. Deep joy.

Bob - Enjoy the holiday. It certainly sounds like you need it, just make sure that enjoyment and relaxation are on the list.

This is definitely not the year to be a celebrity. Both Guy Hamilton the James Bond director and Prince today.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am informed from an old school friend that the 5 hole tape runs were not made on the Pegasus, but on another antediluvian machine elsewhere.  The Pagasus did work, but I think you had to be on the sixth to access it.  Then it was gone.....

It looked the same as the one on the wiki page. I was terrified of it.

A little googling, and from the old school website.....

In situ!  Room 2.

post-10195-0-17393500-1461267316.jpg

I know the guy on the right.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

Coo ee, is it ok to come out? Or are they still talking about pdp11's?

I thought pdp's were personal development plans.

Overcast but warmish day in sunny Teignmouth today. We sat in the new theatre cafe/bar having a drink and watching 8 brave surfers breaking the ice. The theatre cafe will be a warm place for watching the carnival in August or whsnever and for watching the Boxing Day rush into the water and the even quicker rush back out. Pats first day outside for a week but she managed well.

Got some tickets to watch Jungle Book in a few weeks. No spoilers please if you've seen it, even if he does get hit by a bus.

Good evening!

Another depressing day at work over, but now well fed and watered, ready for tomorrow's POTS day (there's no 'early' involved!)

Catching up:

Didn't stop her unpacking a case yesterday to make sure she'd put one item of clothing in though. :banghead:

Have a good trip, Bob, just make sure she wears the aforementioned item of clothing at last twice to justify the search! :wink_mini:

Power supply problems caused the first two trains this morning to be cancelled but by the time we got to the station the trains were running fine..... shock horror -  did I really say that!!

No wonder you needed a good drink this evening!

Yes, pretty ancient stuff. I just missed out on PDP11 and started with VAX11. Unfortunately, I don't have room for anything much bigger than an 11/93 which was the last of the DEC machines.

IIRC, in the early 80's, I was using a Racal terminal (6809 based?) with 8" floppy drives connected to a PDP11 to develop Automated Test Equipment software for a helicopter! Shame I don't still have an 8" floppy disk to bemuse the current generations!

Have as good a night as is possible in your circumstances, ailing, missing or otherwise!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13

Coo ee, is it ok to come out? Or are they still talking about pdp11's?

I thought pdp's were personal development plans.

Overcast but warmish day in sunny Teignmouth today. We sat in the new theatre cafe/bar having a drink and watching 8 brave surfers breaking the ice. The theatre cafe will be a warm place for watching the carnival in August or whsnever and for watching the Boxing Day rush into the water and the even quicker rush back out. Pats first day outside for a week but she managed well.

Got some tickets to watch Jungle Book in a few weeks. No spoilers please if you've seen it, even if he does get hit by a bus.

Sorry, perhaps no!

PDP = Programmable Data Processor.

Unfortunately, Wikipedia has several links to this, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDP-11

• Like 8

Seen 'the man' today and he's really impressed by my recovery so far; in fact he had to rein me in a bit, when I told him how I was exercising.

I'm going to be taking advantage of a recovery plus scheme which entails gym visits with a tailored programme of muscle strengthening exercises specifically designed for hip replacement patients.

So everything's good!

I'll remember for a long while his parting comment - "Remember, it's my hip, you're just looking after it" :)

Best wishes to everyone, speedy recoveries where needed and hoping for good news about those missing in action.

Tiring day, so my daily dose of Radio 4extra beckons as I bid you all a good night.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Great Game today (Yorks U15s ladies beat Derbyshire U15s ladies.

Sunny, reasonable warm, lovely ground, cracking team and no bother.

No umpiring tomorrow, scorings at and then off to Luggerberugger on Sunday to umpire... life is full of cricket at the moment. Great!

PDP 11s... lummy I started on a DEC 10 and punch cards on an ICL 1906 at Uni. The PDPs and VAX computers were used for my Undergraduate final year Control theory practicals. Happy Days!

Sleep well all

• Like 15

Evening all. Not been on ER for a little bit due to one reason or another. Hope everyone is well? if not, speedy recovery. Myself, I've managed to hurt my wrist by falling over (my walking stick slipped on some gravel in a car park, dumping me on the ground, breaking fall with wrist). It hurts, but I'm hopeful I've gotten away without breaking anything, but have had Natalie strap it up for me to help it heal better.

Last weekend was a busy one, with a trip to Wakefield for Scalefour North, well worth the trip. This weekend sees us going to the Leamington and Warwick MRS club rooms for the Warwickshire/North Oxfordshire MERG area group meeting, which should prove informative and will be the first MERG event I've attended since joining.

Yet another day over and I'm glad that it is.

Absolutely shattered again.

I've been informed this evening that the client has been reigned in so it looks like a possible POETS day tomorrow. At least it will give me some time to decide which layouts I want to concentrate on at the Epsom show on Saturday and get my shopping list together. My wallet may try to go into hiding if I'm not careful.

Night all

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. What a fun packed day it's been today. After spending the morning at the waterside. We then had an afternoon at school for grandparents day. After which we brought home the three grandchildren from school for tea, they were joined by the elder brother, so we had quite a houseful. Now I know why we don't usually have all four round at the same time, fun but exhausting.

Back to work tomorrow for the rest.

Time for bed now, so I'll wish you all a goodnight.

And for those who like trams.....

You'll have to look hard, but there's one there, honest.....

post-27337-0-96619800-1461277358_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

Evening all. Best wishes all round and thoughts with the sick and the absent.

Sorry to hear of yet another famous talent lost to the world at a relatively young age. 2016 looks like being remembered for all of the wrong reasons.

As for life here in Derby. Well..sometimes my job can be rewarding, sometimes frustrating and sometimes you wonder why you bother - especially when staff ineptness can cause you to cop the grief and parents will not respect your professionalism to let you deal with problems yourself. I have only been doing the job for 17 ####### years, I think I ####### well know what to do by now! ######## to the lot of them!!! Where is the beer???