Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all, blue skies over London Bridge.

In earlier as the Lurker boys are on holiday and I therefore don't get caught up with their pre-school routine.

This week sees all the things that need to be got out of the way; haircuts, dentist, optician etc before elder Lurker's birthday on Friday - which in turn means the family party at the weekend.

I'll be due a rest after that!

Happy belated anniversary to Mr and Mrs Andyram.

Have a good day all

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from an overcast village. The morning traffic is crawling past the top of the drive amd it sounds as if morning orders will be issued shortly when my other half descends. The cats have been fed and I'm relaxing watching Breakfast and the lovely Carol.

Yesterday went well. Tony's fineral was well attended and my contributions seem to have been appreciated. I even had a little display of Red O gauge locos on a stone shlf across the chanel. All made by Tony. The music was well received and relfected both railway and the RAF with the Spitfire March and The Coronation Scot amongst other pieces. Even though it took a lot of work it was a privilege to be able to take aprt.

The day got better with a good evening modelling at the clubroom, and the cricket result made the day good as well.

Today I've got a committee meeting this morning for the Tram Society then hopefully I may even get into my modelling room.

Regards to all.

Jamie

So sad to see friends pass away but at least its good when they get a well organized send off.

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Sarah & Andy

And also from me.  Glass about to be raised here as it's past beer o'clock but not yet dinnertime ;)

Cold weather continues unabated.  It must be chiily overnight as I found four pigeons in the chicken run first thing this morning keeping the regular inhabitants company.  The chickens prefer to roost outside overnight (the only ones we've ever had who do that - most will sleep indoors, some on the roost, some in the nest) but the significant amount of guano in the nest box suggests they've spent the past couple of icy-cold windy nights sheltering inside.  Good for them.

News from home is that both parents are now confined to bed unwell.  Mother has found the age of 90 too much to be a full-time carer for dad and it's taken a toll.  They are due to receive their first ever home-help visit on Thursday.  I have been made aware of some very cheap flights in case of urgent need.  I'm not going unless summoned as a gathering of the clans might suggest we know more than they do and are expecting an end.  Cheered upon my return home today by the arrival of something Radial from North-of-Watford-Gap.  Nice little thing.  It's not a model of course, it's a real very small engine ;)

Smile and the world might smile back; frown and they ask if you're in the right job ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

On the news they were talking about deliveries by drone were to be tried out. When you consider how much is carried in delivery vans put that lot into a separate drone for each parcel the sky would be full of them buzzing about over our heads.  Who would be able to spot the terrorist driven one on its way to deliver a bomb to No 10 although no doubt No 10 will have a no go fly area above it.

Don

Hope the agreement that they have makes sure that they pay all appropriate UK taxes  and not siphon off huge profits somewhere else/

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

As usual, all posts read and rated - belated happy anniversary, Andy and Sarah.  Generic greetings to everybody else.

Rainy start this morning, and I have to turn out again, as various tasks loom, and these involve a trip to Morecambe. Ugh,,,

Back later if I manage to survive using the bus for all this,,,

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 9

Morning all.

Not contributed for a while as I have had nothing cheerful to say-I've been back in hospital for a fortnight and it seems that the world has gone mad. Even more dreadful news from Japan overnight. ISTR some discussion on here a while ago about catheters. F*****g hell! I was convinced they had stitched the thing to my old man. Didn't help that I got an infection and didn't know where I was and failed to recognise people.

Anyway, I said I had nothing cheerful to say but I do now. You may remember the sad story of the loss of my first grandchild a while ago. The good news is that we are pregnant again, due in January and all going well so far. I have always wanted grandchildren as there seems some kind of completing a circle in there. Itt would be a bonus to get to know them and see them grow up too.

Best wishes to all

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

On the news they were talking about deliveries by drone were to be tried out. When you consider how much is carried in delivery vans put that lot into a separate drone for each parcel the sky would be full of them buzzing about over our heads.  Who would be able to spot the terrorist driven one on its way to deliver a bomb to No 10 although no doubt No 10 will have a no go fly area above it.

Don

It will never happen until they can perfect collision avoidance into the things.  I do not want my loaf of bread delivered, smeared in the honey that Mrs Jones ordered when the drones bounced off each other. Besides, I don't like honey.

The three rather large machine vices and the two lathe chucks would need a very big drone in order to lift them.

Having experience of the pesky little blighters, I also know how quickly they run out of battery power

You'll be telling me next that people will be walking around with  a miniature clock adorning their apparel in order to tell the time,

• Like 2

Morning all,

Ed, so glad to hear that you are going to be a grandparent.

I have to confess I mis-read the "infection" word, and had a momentary moment of terror when you mentioned that it felt like they'd stitched the catheter to you.  Made my eyes water. 

Drones: I think cities are the only place they stand a chance of being commercially viable. The range and lifting capacity on the average drone is not huge and would require a 2 or 3 hour recharge (battery swap) after each relatively short return journey. In turn that means someone has to service it regularly.... Not to mention the limited payload, making it suitable for niche goods only. Just think of the additional "postage" cost on the delivered items. Your paperback from Amazon costs £1.99 + £25 p&p. I don't see them competing with a man in a van anytime soon.

A colleague of mine defined a drone capable of lifting it's own weight and no-more as a "self-licking lollipop"'. I think a lot of the designs come close. 

Anyway, have a nice day everyone. About to administer handwriting and times tables tests. :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Belated anniversary wishes to Sarah and Andy, isn't there a first anniversary coming up soon? I had to look up about the terrible events in Japan, the victims were in a home for the disabled apparently. Hope to view a motor caravan shortly, its quite cheap as the owner managed to put petrol in to the water tank. Purchase depends on as to whether or not the tank is accessible for replacement and how much it will cost.

EDIT SM its usually trees with the denser foilage that deaden sound better. Trees such as Oak despite appearances are quite 'open' and evergreens are the best hence the attraction of the dreaded Leylandii.

Edited by PhilJ W

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Belated anniversary wishes to Sarah and Andy, isn't there a first anniversary coming up soon? I had to look up about the terrible events in Japan, the victims were in a home for the disabled apparently. Hope to view a motor caravan shortly, its quite cheap as the owner managed to put petrol in to the water tank. Purchase depends on as to whether or not the tank is accessible for replacement and how much it will cost.

If he's pumped it you'll probably be looking at at replacing the plumbing as well, including all fittings as the petrol may will have started to dissolve some of the components.

Even if he hasn't (or says he hasn't) then you're looking at some engineering job as you're probably aware that the plumbing goes in before the units, and removal is the reverse of the fitting procedure.

In any case you're probably going to become over familiar with mastic.

• RMweb Gold

'petrol into the water tank'

That must have been one heck of a d'oh moment when they realised what they had done.

I now have a mental picture of your typical crook, no bag marked swag but striped jumper, mask and swung over the shoulder a butterfly net full of drones.

• RMweb Premium

If he's pumped it you'll probably be looking at at replacing the plumbing as well, including all fittings as the petrol may will have started to dissolve some of the components.

Even if he hasn't (or says he hasn't) then you're looking at some engineering job as you're probably aware that the plumbing goes in before the units, and removal is the reverse of the fitting procedure.

In any case you're probably going to become over familiar with mastic.

If the water tank is fitted where I think it is* the whole thing should be accessible and I would be replacing everything anyway, pump, pipework and maybe even the tap(s). *The sink unit is fitted across the rear of the vehicle so I'm assuming that the fresh water tank is not too far away. The only problem will come about if there is any fixed panels and/or dismantling of other items to get to anything.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

'petrol into the water tank'

That must have been one heck of a d'oh moment when they realised what they had done.

Then there is the story (urban myth?) of the petrol thief who tried to syphon fuel from a motor caravan by sucking on a tube but he'd got the toilet tank instead of the fuel tank.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I try to avoid mentioning motor caravans as Aditi has an urge to own one. I don't think we will as she is inclined to think four star hotels are "adequate" . I think it is the "idea" of going on trips in a motor home rather than the reality that attracts. Perhaps we will hire one during our next North American travels.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Road Noise . Although those trees and bushes look nice Mike you can see the gate  so there is a clear path for the nise as anything passes the gate. One thing people forget that if a window has trickle vents the noise will trickle through as well as air. This applies especially if you pay extra for the 'Silent Windows'. If replacing an original window without vents you are not obliged to have them otherwise building regs say you do. Noise can also bounce off solid structures so the wall on the other side of the road can bounce the noise over a hedge.

Motorhome usually have the freshwater tank close to the filler  with ours it is amidship with the greywater tank close to the sink. Both are slung under the chassis. The water is pumped from the tank by a 12v motor with a pressure switch so the pipes to the taps should be under a slight pressure when the pump is switched on. opening a tap causes a pressure drop which causes the  pump to start. If the pump starts to run spasmodically when no water is taken it indicates there may be a leak this can be where water has been left in the system over winter it can freeze in the pressure switch and damage the case.  There should also be a heater to provide hot water this is filled via the pump which keeps it pressurised through to the taps.

Don

Mike & Don. Thanks for the info. We did notice a big change in the noise level after the new owners next door chopped down the massive great holly bush. We do have double glazing but just want to be able get the noise down even a bit more. We also noticed that once we put about 50 pots in the front it also made a difference to having a plain concrete sounding board. Time will tell. There is a "greening grey Britain" push by the RHS to try to get people to replace concrete with more natural materials.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

It is so quiet here today. The children next door have a new pool and yesterday all their friends were round. It is really nice hearing happy children. Today the only sound is of shears. My other neighbour is thinning the clematis montana that is growing through from my garden. They like the plant but it is making access to their back garden difficult for anyone over 5 foot tall. I have offered to trim it but Ted next door likes to do things himself.

Tony

• Like 15