RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

Struggling to write anything meaningful as it's been quite fraught since Friday caring for my mum.

Many thanks to a local GP and a District Nurse who stepped in on the family's behalf.  :angel:

Now got to figure out some sort of care package that will ensure she eats 3 meals a day rather than 1 1/2 tiny portions of food that can't possibly have enough vitamins to keep body and soul together! 

On a brighter note I got a few minutes to myself last night to finish "Project Carpentry". I don't plan on starting a thread about this as I'd rather just get on with it. 

Next job is to keep a promise to #1 child to go and see "Fantastic Creatures...." in 3d asap. 

• RMweb Premium

I decided to risk it

So I opened the biscuits

And as they were covered

In lovely dark chocolate

I had 2

Who cares about making it rhyme?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Heating restored. My diagnosis of the problem was correct. He even had the part in his van.

Tony

Lets hope my boiler man due 08:30 tomorrow is just as efficient.

• Like 2

Afternoon all.

Up early to return the hire van; but don't talk to me about burst water mains!  Some time ago and unknown to anyone, a freshwater main had sprung a leak in Lewisham, creating a void.  Over the weekend, a coach broke through the surface, breaking the main pipe and inundating the town centre, including Enterprise Van Hire!  Found an alterative location to drop off the van, bus to Eltham to pick up a parcel (a Spur Null wagon that I didn't know I'd ordered) and another bus home. Trouble is, I've lost my Freedom Pass, Senior Railcard and tickets to the ERA show next Saturday and the only place they could be is the Lewisham Enterprise office.

Backdating to Friday.  Would you believe I couldn't find the NEC on Friday!  Thought that I would be cute and get to it by A roads, but the signage is appalling, especially the one that points you to the left after the road has already split.  Alright, I know what to do if there ever is a next time - junction 6 of the M42.  Mick has already commentated that one of the Cobalt points had to be replaced on Friday - if you didn't note it, Mick, the address is 4. 

We had a intermittent derailment problem with a Lenz point which is not quite right to gauge after the solenoid burnt out. I thought that I'd sorted it out, but more work needed and maybe a new point.  More trouble on Sunday afternoon with recaltricant Cobalts but Mick had shown me the trick of shoving a bent wire up a couple of orifices - which is where I disappeared when the Hippo turned up.  Mick, maybe a push button permanently attached to terminals 4 and 5 via the copper covered paxolin?  I am a bit bothered by the work needed to get Cobalts up to exhibition standard.

There were some superb layouts at Warley and I calculated that one would spend five minutes in front of everyone in order to see them all.  I was pleasantly surprised how many people stayed for a quarter of an hour or longer in front of Höchstädt given that it is a minority gauge and interest.  On Saturday we had a lad for nearly two hours and late on Sunday someone for the best part of an hour.

Thanks to Jamie for staying behind to pack up.  No trouble finding the M6, both that and the top of the M1 had heavy traffic after which it was a steady plod home.  Then this morning's shenanigans, so I'm about to luxuriate in a hot bath before this evening's CFR meeting..

Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, from red dragon land.  Another sunny day with blue skies but cold so doubt I will venture out any further than our recycle bin behind the porch!

Good morning one and all

Yesterday at Warley was not totally uneventful.  On the way I discovered that the selection of breakfasts at the northbound Corley services is poor - Subway and Starbucks - so a foray was made across the footbridge to the southbound for a Harry Ramsdens, expensive but essential ahead of the day's rigours.  The car was parked at Birmingham International, now in the grasping empire of National Car Parks, and I was able to see the funny side of the slogan on my ticket - Get Rich Quick.  The return journey began on the A45 and somehow became one on the northbound A46 due to a combination of poor new road layout and even poorer signing.  Clearly I did make it home, eventually.  At lunchtime I arrived in the 'Spoons queue spot on 1 pm and sat for just over an hour with three other RMwebbers and a just tolerable pint of Pedigree.  That show is absolutely hopeless and frustrating for trying to see everything and meet everybody but I did complete my shopping list, modest as it was.  Later I discovered from Faceache that my friends from Fleetwood were at the BBC Good Food show yesterday, also at the NEC.

One ear is trained on the street outside for once again the car is parked across Mrs Electric Chair's gate, there being no other spaces available at 7pm when I got home.  Once it is moved to a place of safety I will need to venture into town because the delivery brat has defaulted again and I have no local rag.  Instead there is a letter from the MP, doubtless reporting smugly on what he has done for the constituency in the past year.  I am surprised that it runs to more than one page.  Other tasks await, including catching up on happenings elsewhere in the wide and wonderful world of RMweb.

Best wishes, then, to all travellers, to the lonely and depressed, and to the ailing, supporting, recovering, grieving and missing.

Chris

Glad you found Harry Ramsden's, Chris.  Are they at any other motorway services?  It could be mighty useful to know when we are off to an exhibition or something by car.  We always headed for Ramsden's on our return journeys from Euston, only when the concourse and upper floor began to be refurbished, Ramsden's disappeared.  Was that for good, I ask?  Miss them. 

I now pop into the local Shane's berries store next door and sort myself out a goodie bag to take on the train.  If not I can usually rely on a hot cheese and tomato baguette from one of the station outlets but not the same as a sit down with a Harry Ramsden's.

• Like 12

Reporting in after a long Thanksgiving weekend...

Found large amounts of "me" time especially Friday and Saturday with the Mrs and Jemma taken up with other activities - left me free to model :senile:

Have now successfully rewired the six power districts to go through the NCE six zone circuit protector, added the booster and re-wired the carriage siding/program track so that I can have it useable simply by a master switch and appropriate moving of the PowerCab to connect to the original adapter plate. Very excited that I've got it all running :)

Much of yesterday spent applying <seasonal/holiday/Christmas - use as appropriate> lighting to appropriate areas of the front of the house per the request of the management - suitably approved of my attempts, that's THAT done :jester:

Jemma leaves around noon for a 4 day trip, returning Thursday, I leave at 7:40PM for Long Island - avoided leaving yesterday as the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend is one of the major "nightmare" travel days here. Today should be some improvement, though it IS noted as the third busiest travel day of the year here, so not guaranteed to be flustercuck free :O

Some of the weekend discussions surrounded Jemmas' desire to get a dog, she's located a  6 year old Dachshund up for adoption that she likes, and we're hoping to hear more towards the end of the week - appropriate forms being organized.

Weather was hovering around zero all weekend with some snow/sleet, today got daft as it's already 11 and chucking it down with thunder and lightning for good measure!

Supposed to return to more seasonal weather starting tonight!

Hope your week starts well, at present count, if all goes well, I'm still about 14 hours away from any chance of sleep at 10AM here  :(

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Bad news. Just before I got home the boiler man rang up and moved the visit to Wednesday ( 2 staff off sick)

• RMweb Premium

Just off to our daughters to take birthday gifts for the twins Eve and Max, who will be 8 on Thursday, but as well be in Harrogate from Wednesday we will miss their birthday. Of course we could go tomorrow night, but we've got packing to do.

• RMweb Premium

I'm back from my walk

And the sky has turned blue

I'm now sat in the kitchen

And having a brew

But is so quiet here

And I'm sat alone

With a hot cup of tea

But sadly no scone.

Round my way, alone doesn't rhyme with scone (We pronounce it "scon")

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, another intestate Estate lands on my desk, and this one has got all sorts of nightmare scenarios in it. Someone had to pick this up; unfortunately it was me  :banghead:

You prick my conscience. I need to lodge something with the Notaire. Anything. Deb and I had agreed to leave our estate to the three decent kids of some friends. I am godfather (I know, I know) to the middle one. But I wrestle with the fact that his wife has caused him to lose touch with his parents, as well as the fact that they now live in Canada. Sherry and I have no reason to need each other's assets in that way, so leaving things to her is not a sensible option, and I certainly want her estate to go to her kids in the unlikely event she goes before me. But whoever gets the chalice will find it a little murky, if not really poisonous. A very large collection of trains in three distinct prototypes, lots of English-language books. Removals boxes of stuff that has sat in a barn for more than 12 years since we moved here..... I need another glass.

You prick my conscience. I need to lodge something with the Notaire. Anything. Deb and I had agreed to leave our estate to the three decent kids of some friends. I am godfather (I know, I know) to the middle one. But I wrestle with the fact that his wife has caused him to lose touch with his parents, as well as the fact that they now live in Canada. Sherry and I have no reason to need each other's assets in that way, so leaving things to her is not a sensible option, and I certainly want her estate to go to her kids in the unlikely event she goes before me. But whoever gets the chalice will find it a little murky, if not really poisonous. A very large collection of trains in three distinct prototypes, lots of English-language books. Removals boxes of stuff that has sat in a barn for more than 12 years since we moved here..... I need another glass.

Ian,

You need to be careful, I have no idea of French Law, but if my memory serves me correctly in English Law a will is invalidated when you marry unless it is made in the expectation of the marriage. I may be wrong here it's over 40 years since I studied Executorship and Trusteeship

Regards,

Dave

Is France different from Belgium with their laws? In Belgium you have to leave your estate to your kids. I' m not sure what happens if you have no kids.

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Wow, what a day.  Our busiest ever, I am shattered!  'Cyber Monday' of course, last proper pay day Friday gone before the C word.

Ian, we have a 'Not God Daughter' also, as we are atheists too, but were asked by one of our closest friends to take on the role.  I think she has a 'real' one too, who hardly ever sees her.....we take it seriously, see her as often as we can and she is catered for in case of our demise.  She has needed some support of late after her parents divorced rather acrimoniously. As I also have my not-daughter that adopted me to look after when needed, we seem to attract such curious relationships!

Edited by New Haven Neil

Ian,

You need to be careful, I have no idea of French Law, but if my memory serves me correctly in English Law a will is invalidated when you marry unless it is made in the expectation of the marriage. I may be wrong here it's over 40 years since I studied Executorship and Trusteeship

Regards,

Dave

Your memory is correct regarding English law as I have been assured in the last couple of weeks. Not, I hasten to add, that I am contemplating remarriage. It is just that my will has not been updated since before my wife died over 25 years ago and, as I am due for surgery next month, it seemed to be a wise move to update things. I would leave enough problems in sorting out a wide variety of stock in different scales as well as books in at least two languages without adding to the problems.

I suspect my recuperation period next year will be spent selecting what I am not likely to use, even if I live to 100, and turning it into hard cash to enjoy myself with.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I think my problems in doing all this include not wanting to welch on an agreement - very amicable! - with Deb. Sherry has no issues with Deb's memories - why should she? - but I am not comfortable with creating a new will that does not meet what we agreed back when. Furthermore, which of the three beneficiaries is gonna want to come to France to sort out the estate, only to hand much of the value to the French state? None of them is rich, and they would not become so by doing the tedious sorting!

I think my problems in doing all this include not wanting to welch on an agreement - very amicable! - with Deb. Sherry has no issues with Deb's memories - why should she? - but I am not comfortable with creating a new will that does not meet what we agreed back when. Furthermore, which of the three beneficiaries is gonna want to come to France to sort out the estate, only to hand much of the value to the French state? None of them is rich, and they would not become so by doing the tedious sorting!

Ah well, that's France for you. I've had a few French clients making Wills over the past year or so; I always advise that they should strictly fence-off their British assets from their French ones, so one Will for each jurisdiction. Same goes for Spain, which everyone tells me is notoriously complex.

What should have been a long but easy day turned into the day from hell.

The first site wasn't anywhere near the address given to me so I ended up getting there 90 minutes after I should have done.

I stopped on the way to the next job for food and a coffee but when I returned to the car it came up with am immobiliser fault. Several phone calls later and the AA was called. With a 2 hour wait, I decided to use the facilities before the arrival time, got back to the car and without thinking started the car. The AA cancelled and headed off again.

My last job should have been a simple component swap but that was thwarted because the central monitoring panel is faulty and won't be repaired until a weeks time.

Lots of miles and nothing achieved.

Here's hoping that tomorrow is at least a bit better

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, that's France for you. I've had a few French clients making Wills over the past year or so; I always advise that they should strictly fence-off their British assets from their French ones, so one Will for each jurisdiction. Same goes for Spain, which everyone tells me is notoriously complex.

There has been a recent change in the law and as we now have French and British assets we are currently updating our wills to allow all assets to be dealt with under English Law.

Jamie