Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

When I insulated and kitted out my garage - nothing on the scale of AndyiD's! - I put a damp proof membrane in.

No problems. Yet.

I insulated my garage door some years ago with a sort of foil covered bubble wrap. The tape I originally used wasn't very good but I finally got round to sticking it properly today. It really does make a difference, though I suspect the top and bottom draught excluder helps too. I hope I can spend some time playing with my trains again soon too.

Tony

• Like 12

That was a long day.

2 hours to drive 40 miles this morning which is double the distance that I'd achieve in London so a slight positive.

6 hours of survey work completed and then 4.5 hours to drive home. At least I did manage to get some work done today.

The only down side is that the report from todays survey needs to be with the client by Thursday morning so tomorrow is going to be a long day in front of the computer.

Ian A - I didn't have to look up Saskatoon. It's not too far (relative to Canadian distances) from Medicine Hat.

http://www.jewson.co.uk/timber/sheet-materials/osb/

A good idea, Andy. Hadn't come across osb before. 

I guess you could fix shelves direct to this stuff. 

Yes - that's the stuff. Same manufacturer too. Mine is made in Canada.

I'm using 3/8 inch because it's a bit lighter and I can get it for $10 a sheet. It might be a bit thin for holding shelves, although thicker OSB is available. I'll support my shelves on brackets that are screwed into the 2 x 4 studs on 24 inch centers behind the OSB.

• RMweb Gold

It's when you have to have the stitches out you have to worry, a very pretty junior trainee nurse, starts waving with shaking hands, a hooked scalpel about those parts you don't have to think of Arsenal!!! Or algebra!!!

If what Mr Consultant said to me is what is actually likely to happy the nurse would need very shaky hands as the incision would be in the region of my tummy button - then a long journey downwards on the inside with the repair kit.

Incidentally temperature of -7C recorded 'in Oxfordshire' last night - probably RAF Benson as that is the one that usually seems to get quoted, so about 10-11 miles away but a bit higher above sea level than us.

• RMweb Premium

I was a little concerned about it being affected by damp but apparently OSB3 is for use where there is a possibility of damp conditions.

I think it's called Sterling board and I've used it for both interior and exterior places it works well in both.

Jamie

Back here on ERs after a break of a week in deepest darkest Shropshire, in a week long house let with no internet connection and virtually no mobile phone signal.  It was a family celebration for my brother's 60th birthday, and a great time was had by all.  Managed to visit loads of places that I had never been before - Shrewsbury, Church Stretton, walks on Stiperstones and the Long Mynd, Lake Vyrnwy, Rheader Waterfalls, Powys Castle and many more. 

In our absence, my damp wall has continued to slowly dry out after the window replacement just before we went away.  I will carry on taking damp measurements until I am 100% convinced that the problem is permanently sorted., then get an inspection hole in the inner wall made good.

Need to be up reasonably early tomorrow to get Mrs G's 15 year old Corsa to the garage for its MOT.  I fear that any failure may cause it to be scrapped.  We were amazed when it passed without any remedial work last year, but I cant see us being so lucky this year.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening - a less busy day today, felt a bit more in control!

Warmer too, the frost having moved south by the sound of it - it is unusual to have such heavy frosts here, especially so early.

No 2 car had a trip to the menders for diagnosis of an occasional clunk - confused but skilled mechanic finally thinks he has isolated it as the bearing at the top of the struts, or one of them anyway!  Cheap part, expensive labour.  Bah.  Still, it has done 150k miles.

ER... here! 

Keep warm. folks!

Night all.  Nos da.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Grass outside is already frozen enough to be crunchy.

Nice clear sky too.

I don't recall it being this chilly here at all last year. I will be up early to deposit bin bags and defrost Aditi's car so she can have another attempt at getting her hair cut. It was cancelled today as she was delayed in traffic.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Driving test postponed on Monday as my customer/pupil had been rushed into hospital on Sunday to have her appendix removed....

Normally, the test fee is forfeited of the test is cancelled at less than three working days and they'll have to jump through many hoops to get the fee refunded. Much paperwork will be required. She is recovering well, but we have to arrange a new date.

Tuesday was mostly [*] a good day.

Commute and customer servicing stuff done. A couple of post-NEC queries to deal with and a busy day that has spilled over into my next shift, but that's the way it is and I can cope with it. (I'd rather be busy than sat doing b***** all)

NB Junior called me to say she'd been selected to be the University of Essex swimming club captain for this year. Proud MR & Mrs NB after the many hours spent ferrying her to/from swim club since she was 7 years old.

When I got home, there was a maroon Dapol Western awaiting - a result at £75 from the LT Museum via the bargain hunters thread. It will eventually become D1015 that has appeared at Derby RTC before now.....

[*]The mostly a good day was slightly toned down by the bill for servicing my car. 37500 miles in 14 months........ But at least that's done with no extra work needed for general wear and tear.

Another test tomorrow before the commute on Thursday/Friday.

Stay safe and keep warm folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Thank you Dutch Master at least I'm not alone, just in the mood to go and do some modeling but don't want to disturb the wife who as our bedroom is next to my modeling room is a light sleeper and she wont thank me if I wake her and no matter how quite one try's to be something always makes a noise.

Edited by Londontram

At our party ward meeting yesterday evening, one of our councillors told us about an acquaintance's boyhood Christmas in a poverty-stricken household where the most he could expect was an orange and a half-crown wrapped in plain paper. A schoolmate from a relatively well-off family, feeling sorry for the lad, invited him to come and help him unwrap his presents on Christmas morning. "It was nice of him," the poor lad said, "but what could I offer in return? Invite him round to help me peel my orange and unwrap my half crown?" To his credit, this was said with a smile, bitterness not being in his nature...

• Like 10

We had an illuminating and really quite unsettling experience yesterday.

My wife came back from a shopping trip shaking her head. She had gone into our local post office outlet – a separate counter at the back of a convenience store - to buy some stamps for Christmas cards to the UK. The clerk on the counter was busy and said to my wife that it would probably be quicker for her to buy books of stamps at the front counter – they keep some there.

The assistant on the front counter was a pleasant youth in his late teens/early twenties. He was having trouble finding the box containing the stamps, and called over the post office clerk for help. She left what she was doing, came over, found the box and handed the stamps my wife wanted to the front counter clerk for him to ring up. As she did so, he asked her (and my wife is very sure of the words) “What is the significance of a stamp?”. The post office clerk had to explain to him that when you send a letter, a card (like a Christmas card), a wedding invitation etc. (all examples she used) through the post, you have to buy a stamp to pay for the service and attach it to whatever you are sending. His reply was “Oh!”.

This kid had quite obviously got to the age he was without sending anything by letter post. Perhaps he had sent a parcel, but they are usually weighed and measured and the postage printed out to be stuck on. He had never used a pre-paid, adhesive stamp!

This has really brought home just how much communication that used to be written is now purely digital. Also, generally, how parts of our life experience just aren't relevant any more. I feel old. 

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

Good morning one and all

I crept out around 7.30 yesterday morning with a carrier bag containing the C-----mas cards to be consigned to the mail.  Some remain to be handed to the lucky recipients when I see them.  That's one important job jobbed.  Well, I think it's important and that is what matters in this context.  Then, fortified by the porridge, toast and marmalade, I did the fodder run.  At this time of year one had to be wary of new editions of the Radio Times as they come thick and fast.  Another is due tomorrow but, boldly perhaps,I will not set out to buy it until Friday.  When the festive season double issue arrives I will be certain that going to Switzerland for two weeks is a good idea.

Tonight sees the m*d*ll*ng evening at the Bletchley area group of the HMRS.  Yes, Barry O, what I show the assembled masses [!] will be what I have made from the kit that you saw on Sunday when I had just bought it.  Little remains to be done save to repaint one part in a more accurate shade.  Some of those who attend the group may be expecting a box of bits and a brave statement of intent because that is what they usually get.  Life is full of surprises.

Best wishes to all who deserve them

Chris

• Like 19

I insulated my garage door some years ago with a sort of foil covered bubble wrap. The tape I originally used wasn't very good but I finally got round to sticking it properly today. It really does make a difference, though I suspect the top and bottom draught excluder helps too. I hope I can spend some time playing with my trains again soon too.

Tony

The draught excluder may also keep out blown in dust, leaves etc. That was the advice I got from our local model railway shop, anyway. 

When I had my first major layout in the garage I spotted a neighbour building a loft level in his garage to create more storage.

Intrigued I set about doing the same, although trying to do that above a model railway and not cause damage wasn't easy!

The damp proofing, lined walls, raised and insulated floor and cupboards came along later.

• Like 13

Morning All,

We had our first visit to the Mainz Christmas market yesterday evening.  At least we have the right weather for it at the moment.  The temperature was down to -7°C in the forest this morning.  It has been a couple of years since the temperature was that low.

I am looking forward to Christmas.  I am very lucky to have a family that get along very well, and my parents will be coming over to spend Christmas with Mercedes, Thomas and I.  I am also fortunate to have a good job that I really enjoy (most of the time - of course there are frustrations).

Which makes me slightly thoughtful, and count my blessings - I can't help thinking that the world is going to hell in a handcart - the financial system is wobbly, prices are rising dramatically (this is the time of year when insurance bills for the next year start coming in), there seems to be no end to the greed of the corporate giants and politicians seem hell bent on ... well, let's not go there - we're not allowed!

At the end of the day, family and friends are the most important.

With that thought, I will go and grab a cup of coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

Grass outside is already frozen enough to be crunchy.

Nice clear sky too.

I don't recall it being this chilly here at all last year. I will be up early to deposit bin bags and defrost Aditi's car so she can have another attempt at getting her hair cut. It was cancelled today as she was delayed in traffic.

Should be a good apple harvest next year then. 

Apparently apple trees need a certain number of hours each winter below 7oC to fruit. I think the figure was about 700 hours, if memory serves. 

It was the BBC. I found the program both educational, informative and entertaining. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!
Her indoors is off swimming despite it being a bit brass monkeys nkeyish here.

I have to collect some more "railway stuff" to sell on Ebay today. It will be fun sorting through it all.

Duncan..Medicine Hat..while I never made it over there some of the vehicles built in Leeds did as did the database for our gunnery trainers....three trees, the water tower..methinks it will be even colder there at the moment.

Enjoy whatever you do today!

Baz

PS anyone seen BoD?

edited due to Kobo auto flipping correct!

Edited by Barry O