Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

...While Sherry and I have enjoyed each other's company immensely over more than 12 years, it has always been in short bursts (ooh!), and living together full-time has yet to be essayed. I think a full six weeks, as this will be, represents a record. We ache for each other when apart, it's true, but are both old enough and set in our ways to enjoy our independence, too. A fine balance.

Peter Cook and Lin Chong lived like this in Hampstead, but they were only a few doors apart, rather than several hundred miles....

post-6879-0-49497300-1481054132_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Horsetan

Often the abrupt nature of the divorce between rider and horse is such that the rider is described as being 'fired into the ground' at speed. 

Here's an epitaph written by Walter McCorrisken, the self-proclaimed "Scotland's Worst Poet" . (Actually, I think it's a bit paraphrased. I remember it slightly differently, but the gist of it is the same.)

Under this stone, all alone

Lies the body of Sydney

His horse it cleared the drystane dyke

But alas poor Sydney didnae. 

• Like 4

A very quick but cold journey. At least I was early enough to manage a Full English before the working day really started. I'm certainly glad that I did when it turned into a very long day.

Tony_S - Pleased to hear that Aditi is a bit better although from what others have said, a cast is the required treatment

TonyA - Best wishes for the op.

jonny777 - Certainly news that no-one should receive

Bill - Best wishes for the op.

Thinking of those ailing, supporting, grieving, recovering and missing

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Definitely a quiet evening here. Aditi is a very good patient. She survived for years with my cooking while she was working so should be OK now too. Not a lot happens now for a few days. Aditi will get an appointment at the fracture clinic in Basildon hospital. She could be plastered for quite a while but we weren't planning much in the near future anyway.

Tony

Six phone calls from our Ward during her traverse of our capital city. As it's now 10:30 pm and we have heard nothing since 11:00am, she's either dead in a ditch, or having too much fun with her peers to call. Further bulletin tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

Morning and best wishes to all.

Sorry to learn of the various ills and woes.  Accidents occur but tis also the season when stresses and strains tend to show in family and friend situations.  Jamie I too had been thinking of our late friend Jock recently.  There is still a sizeable hole in this community where his presence once was.

Aware, too, in the industry that this is the season when more than the "usual" number of souls choose to depart this life at their own behest all too often involving the railway and significant distress to those left behind and those who witness,  clean up or are otherwise involved.

There are broad shoulders here and a completely non-judgemental listening ear should such be required.

Off for a coffee catch-up with a friend before attendance begins.   Sleep well and enjoy your new day when it arrives.

• Like 3

You are too kind! While Sherry and I have enjoyed each other's company immensely over more than 12 years, it has always been in short bursts (ooh!), and living together full-time has yet to be essayed. I think a full six weeks, as this will be, represents a record. We ache for each other when apart, it's true, but are both old enough and set in our ways to enjoy our independence, too. A fine balance.

If I may be so bold as to correct my husband, I believe I actually stayed with you for eight weeks in the summer of 2014 (will check my diary!)

Ian, make sure to take an hour each day for yourself, after installing your dear wife wherever she wants to be then. It'll save your sanity, as well as hers. :yes:

From my experience of having my other hip resurfaced in 2005, it was recommended to rest for an hour each afternoon on the bed so we will both have a break from each other, unless Ian too feels the need for a siesta!!!

• Like 2

Here's an epitaph written by Walter McCorrisken, the self-proclaimed "Scotland's Worst Poet" . (Actually, I think it's a bit paraphrased. I remember it slightly differently, but the gist of it is the same.)

Under this stone, all alone

Lies the body of Sydney

His horse it cleared the drystane dyke

But alas poor Sydney didnae. 

William McGonagall was probably the World's Worst Poet, but even he pales into insignificance when you study the works of the poet McTeagle....

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Not much done this evening, except for a bit of catching up on stuff recorded last week.

I forgot to mention yesterday, when I was at the show on Saturday, I purchased a loco body, which I intend to use to practice my weathering techniques on. I hadn't a clue as to what it was, but it had the look of an LMS engine and at £3.00 it was a no brainer. I gave it a closer look this morning and scraped away the paint on the name plate, which revealed the name of 'Illustrious', which I believe makes it a member of the 'Patriot Class', but I could not find a makers mark, not that this matters. Once the weather warms up enough I'll have a go at weathering it!

Goodnight all

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hope for the best for all those involved with hospitals.

I'm getting checks this week (x-ray type today; internal on Wed.) Tomorrow I will be staying very close to the bathroom.

Took computer back to store again today. Seems to work fine there. I can have a tech visit the house for $50 to see what's up. Then Dayle reported that everything was working again the way it used to.

Chamber choir concert yesterday. Series of readings of Nativity as seen by Mary. Last bit was something like:

"There were 3 eastern scholars at the cave entrance. They gave the baby gold, incense and myrrh. What we really need is a basin of hot water, some clean straw, and a year's supply of diapers."

(will check source when I can find the program)

• Like 14

NHN .. can yo turn that into  a diagram please?

hat, coat, cuddy at the ready!

Bax

I might have one in sketch up for a V16 one... (well, OK, it's the Cat version), or my sketches for 21 000 shp cross compound steam turbine :).

(I should be able to do them from memory, but that isn't quite so...that bit has had 5 years of going away now !)

James

• Like 10

I forgot to mention yesterday, when I was at the show on Saturday, I purchased a loco body, which I intend to use to practice my weathering techniques on. I hadn't a clue as to what it was, but it had the look of an LMS engine and at £3.00 it was a no brainer. I gave it a closer look this morning and scraped away the paint on the name plate, which revealed the name of 'Illustrious', which I believe makes it a member of the 'Patriot Class', but I could not find a makers mark, not that this matters. Once the weather warms up enough I'll have a go at weathering it!

Most likely the Mainline Rebuilt Patriot. I have one - much modified.

• Like 3

Good morning one and all

The list for the fodder run is suspiciously short this morning.  Time will tell what I have forgotten to include.  Whatever it is, I need to remember it PDQ as another chore awaits.  Yes, folks, it's the ironing.  This afternoon I need to load the car for Thursday's visit because it is in the best place for being loaded.  Tonight there is a talk on engine sheds.  It is the seventh in the series and we are about halfway through the alphabet.  I will write my report of it tomorrow once I have returned from lunch near Peterborough.

Much of this guff is to try and take my mind off an appointment on Friday.  At or after 12 noon on said day Professor Oncologist will tell me whether I am well.  He has the results of blood tests to guide his opinion.  I have no reason apart from fear to suppose that anything is amiss.  In any case there are some Swiss francs at the bank awaiting collection before then and a gig to enjoy on Friday night.

Too many of our inmates are affected by maladies in themselves and their loved ones.  Kind thoughts to them all.

Chris

Morning All,

It is another chilly morning here.  The temperature was "only" down to -3°C though!

I don't have a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 7