The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I'm a bit of a Newsnight junkie. I'm particularly taken with Evan Davies' measured presentational style which lacks none of the bite that Paxman brought to the show; it's just done with less of the bark. Last night I enjoyed a piece by Gabriel Gatehouse (a quietly thoughtful chap always worth listening to) about how the mood in the Netherlands seems to be changing.

There was a similar piece last night on Channel 4 news with two Dutch voters being interviewed; we may be in for another shock next week.

Beautiful day here today so had a great walk around Arthur's Seat this morning.

LE, I have a feeling that he may have been known as Mr Chips - will try to find out. When musical success didn't beckon, even with a BBC Record of the Week, he got some work with Arcade records arranging songs from musicals for their cheap (inexpensive) LPs.

NHN, is your Tramadol coming via British Cycling?

Mal

• Like 1

Dick, funny you should mention your good lady likes the log splitter so much, as Debs loves ours hers too.

Thinks: I hope that's got nothing to do with how her in Last Tango In Halifax done-in her old-man.

Just had a cold call. The French government is doing deals on solar panels and we get loads of them. So, usual story, I tell him it's a holiday home. He asks if I'm English, I say yes... he then tells me all about his passion for Manchester United... it's a funny old world.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Did he not go to Leon de Bruxelles? They always manage to have mussels on the menu. The only thing I can think of which might make them unobtainable is that they might have been out of season.

Ah, the street of a thousand restaurants - somewhere all my Belgian colleagues said should be avoided like the plague if one wanted a decent Belgian meal.  

I found they were in fact absolutely right, there were a few better restaurants elsewhere in Brussel (I came across a few of them over the years I was frequently visiting Bruxelles) and of course the very best frites in Brusselscome from the street stall near the Bourse - top notch.  But otherwise for decent eating in Belgium avoid Brussel - Leuven/Louvain is good for good meals at good value and is recommended by many Belgians and there are some excellent restaurants (and a superb bar which only sells gin - of umpteen flavours and poured without a measure) in Ghent - which also used to boast a couple of model railway shops.  But Bruxelles does boast some excellent bars although they are best avoided at lunch time when drinking seems to take on a distinctly Australian approach.

On a completely different tack.   I shall be attending the Basingstoke show this coming weekend and am intending to go on the Saturday as the train service is much better than Sunday.

• RMweb Premium

.... and there are some excellent restaurants (and a superb bar which only sells gin - of umpteen flavours and poured without a measure) in Ghent - which also used to boast a couple of model railway shops.  .....

There is a shop in Baudelostraat, just off the Vrijdagmarkt which has a good selection of second hand model railway equipment however I haven't yet found a traditional model shop in Ghent. There is a good one though in Bruges just along from the Vismarkt. I'll be in Brussels soon so if anyone knows of a good model shop close to the centre I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

Whilst in a European frame of mind I came across this article earlier today. It is to do with the 'P' word, so I'll offer no comment apart to say that it amuses me and might interest some.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Mal, it makes me very sleepy so why the cyclists may, or may not use it beats me! 

PhilJ W, the Frankenstein bit was done by the top local Orthopod, he is very highly thought of.  If the houseman had done it I dread to think what it would have looked like!  A friend reckons 'chicks dig scars' and it is an asset, but at 58 in a few days and married for 33 years, I don't consider it will change my life in that way!

Edited by New Haven Neil

There is a shop in Baudelostraat, just off the Vrijdagmarkt which has a good selection of second hand model railway equipment however I haven't yet found a traditional model shop in Ghent. There is a good one though in Bruges just along from the Vismarkt. I'll be in Brussels soon so if anyone knows of a good model shop close to the centre I'd be grateful to be pointed in the right direction.

Whilst in a European frame of mind I came across this article earlier today. It is to do with the 'P' word, so I'll offer no comment apart to say that it amuses me and might interest some.

Traditional shops in Huy and Namur

A long but successful day work wise and the journey home wasn't too bad either. Just several cockwombles who decided that a No Right Turn sign at roadworks didn't apply to them. Fortunately they had no impact on my journey.

AndyB - I was hoping to get to Basingstoke but another weekend of work has taken priority.

If I can keep my eyes open I'll have a wander around the world of RM.

Back later

• Like 4

Overcast day in sunny Teignmouth, precipitation expected soon.

Interesting programme on tv last night about the Brinksmat robbery years ago. It was interesting to see that despite fairly careful planning the thieves made mistakes that were almost "accidentally" discovered.

Pretty soon they were being rounded up. All except 1 got caught but a large amount of money is still missing.

Bon voyage to the Golden Hind traveller. By the time you return Ian, some things WILL have been resolved I am sure. (If you know what I mean)

Did you see the similar programme about the great train robbery? At least 7 mistakes identified!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone.

Another early finish today, the roads were fairly quite and the weather has been great, I got home in time to have lunch with Sheila too! However, the down side is that I have now completed all the work that I have been issued and so tomorrow I'll have to go into the orifice.

After lunch I once again completed my on-line paperwork then spent an hour or so in the workshop and a couple of extra switches to the control panel, which will eventually operate the points that I intend to have in the factory. All the extra wiring needed for the switches is already in place, I fitted them to the multi plug when I built them a couple of weeks ago, just in case.

Just like last night, the weather has turned and it is once again p!ss!ng down.

Goodnight all

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A violation of the air/ground interface?

I saw a Jaguar from Boscombe Down do that in Jan 84 (I was on an NBC course at Winterbourne Gunner at the time).

Fortunately the pilot had just departed the airframe and was safely sitting under his parachute when the interface occurred.

• Like 14