RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

PhilJW, my copy of Bylines has not yet arrived.  It is printed in Bedford near where I live so heaven knows what Royal Snail have done with it.  BRILL arrived on Monday so something is wrong somewhere.

Chris 

It ain't where it's printed but from where it's distributed that counts!

Two publications, one printer, two different distributers ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning.

Not a lot achieved so far, tea made, dog released to and retrieved from garden.Tea swallowed.

Aditi is going to the dentist later this morning but I don't think we have any other appointments. Aditi has plans for pottering in the garden. I have no plans.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Wetherspoons. Just had breakfast and now off to catch the train. Hopefully going on a Javelin out of StvPancras for the first time to Whitstable then beer there and in Faversham today.

Hopefully the weather remains good.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Wetherspoons. Just had breakfast and now off to catch the train. Hopefully going on a Javelin out of StvPancras for the first time to Whitstable then beer there and in Faversham today.

Hopefully the weather remains good.

Sounds like a top day.

If you're in Fav and after a decent pint I recommend Furlongs Ale House

https://m.facebook.com/FurlongsAleHouseFaversham

It's on Preston Street not too far from the station.

All the best,

Keith

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Bright start to the day and hopefully will stay that way.

We got married in a church nearly 47 years ago (I didn't want to but gave in ).  FiL paid for the reception, my Dad paid for all the booze in the evening. All the other bits & pieces we saved & paid for ourselves and had enough for a week's honeymoon in Teignmouth. A mortgage at that time was out of the question so we rented for about 7 years.

For about the last 8 or 9 years Chris has been asking me to renew our vows in a church and I have refused (and will continue to do so) My argument is simple, "Why do I need to do that if I'm still here after all this time?"

As you may expect I've been a hospital in-patient quite a few times in Bedford, New Cross, Sutton*, Carshalton, Truro and Epsom for various ailments. I've  also been a visitor to a few casualty departments over the years. What will surprise you is that hardly any of the latter are DIY related, in the main they were due to sporting injuries. 

I've always been lucky and received fantastic treatment at the hands of the NHS. Maybe it's because I believe I'm a model patient and don't complain or expect the nurses or other hospital staff to wait on me hand & foot. I have actually given advice to one or two other patients who thought that was what they were there for including telling one moron that if he spoke to a nurse like that again his hospital stay would be a lot longer.

Looks like I'm needed to assist with some shopping so back later,

Have a good one,

Bob.

* Edit - forgot about Sutton!

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No disrespect to your mum, Ian, but informal Britspeak suits me.[/font][/size]

Not a problem. Her certainty on the subject may just have been helped by the fact that her father, my grandfather, was a registrar.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

I must admit my several stays in hospital over the years have been mostly good in terms of care, except that last couple of days in February!  As I said I think that was down to bank staff and no effective management of them.

Wrightington in particular, where I had my hip surgery, was superb.  A funny old fashioned place, but immaculate, and superb staff.  I have the right to be picky in my assessment of them I think, as I worked in the NHS for many years, I know both sides of the fence.  I fully agree with GDB's approach towards staff - they have a difficult enough job without worky-tickets harassing them.

Cricket?  No thanks.  F1 qualy today though :sungum:  and TT in a month!

• Like 5

Great nights sleep ( gin assisted), suns out so bikes out, and an afternoon of banter over a mates (Army v Royal Navy rugby).

Not to much to drink as it's Taunton SWAG day on the morrow.

Should be a good afternoon........they've a 8 seater hot tub that you can usually squeeze at least a dozen in......a big tele and a home made bar in the garden.

As at least two of us are ex RM........I have been warned not to start a naked bar........again!

• Like 10

I have actually given advice to one or two other patients who thought that was what they were there for including telling one moron that if he spoke to a nurse like that again his hospital stay would be a lot longer.

Starting fights in a hospital bed must be an art form.

In a marital bed, not so much.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a top day.

If you're in Fav and after a decent pint I recommend Furlongs Ale Househttps://m.facebook.com/FurlongsAleHouseFaversham

It's on Preston Street not too far from the station.

All the best,

Keith

Thanks

That place is on our list. So is the Elephant where we used to frequently go when a friend lived in Faversham

Ian

• Like 13

Morning all. A busy few days has kept me away from the ER pages for a short while so I will send generic greetings, wishes and commiserations as appropriate. After the long trip day, Thursday was a long day too. After work Sarah and I went to the Nottingham Arena to see Bruno Mars in concert. It was part of her Christmas present so I was not looking forward to the concert as much as she was. I did feel a bit bored during the assault on the ears that was delivered by some American "performer", called Anderson Paak, who formed the support act. The main event proved to be far more enjoyable supported by impressive lighting, staging and pyrotechnics. I am certainly glad I went. Unfortunately by the time we had battled through traffic and got home to bed it was 12.45am and I was woken by the cat at 5.30am resulting in a very tired day at school yesterday. Things seemed to go well, but it was a struggle in the afternoon. Fortunately the student was teaching after lunch, although the lessons did not go well for her. The children are testing her out and, at the moment, she is not getting control. The class is not a hard class compared to other parts of the county so she needs to expert her authority sooner rather than later.

Last night, despite feeling very tired, I went to the pub to catch up with an old friend. Another enjoyable evening and much needed. Sadly, with another week passed, I have heard nothing from the jobs I applied for before Easter. I think that definitely rules me out of one, whilst the other will be off the radar if I hear nothing by the middle of next week. I also have heard nothing from the job that had a deadline of last Sunday. I thought that they would shortlist this week so if nothing comes by Monday that will be gone too. Frustrating and worrying.

Have a good day.

Ordered a Spur Null locomotive, a Prussian BR 93.5, it is just so ugly.  TonyA will disapprove, because it is totally unsuitable for Franconia, being mainly used for trip freights in Northern Germany.  I've pretty well finished my response to the South-eastern franchise proposal, then went out on the bike to pay my car tax and do my weekly shop.

Very true. However, what I actually said was that the DB locomotives were used in the north. I didn't mention trip freights as they were used on passenger workings as well. I also said that the nearest ones to Höchstädt were over the border in the Thüringerwald. 

Having said that, it should look interesting pulling Bill's Bavarian 4-wheel Lokalbahn coaches that had been scrapped before the date of his layout!   :jester: 

Tony

• Like 9

Having said that, it should look interesting pulling Bill's Bavarian 4-wheel Lokalbahn coaches that had been scrapped before the date of his layout!   :jester: 

Tony

Calumny, the coaches lasted to 1962.

Bill

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. The weather forecast for the bank holiday is looking good, at least for the events I intend to visit. Never having been married its one subject I can't comment on. A couple of relationships that were heading that way didn't reach that far, just as well perhaps.

It ain't where it's printed but from where it's distributed that counts!

Two publications, one printer, two different distributers ...

The same distributor, BRILL has always arrived in the shops a day or so before Bylines, almost certainly printed on the same machines.

OK. We give up. What was the correct diagnosis? I imagine Ivan would like to know.

Take your pick from the likely candidates that the consultants have come up with so far based on the shadows they found over my right lung:

Tuberculosis (probably contracted from my clients);

Sarcoidosis;

Various types of cancer.

They're not sure what it is yet, so your guess really will be as good as theirs.

..... Never having been married its one subject I can't comment on. A couple of relationships that were heading that way didn't reach that far, just as well perhaps.....

Working where I do, my colleague deals with plenty of examples where it all goes Pete Tong. Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

A Tesco visit required by the management then some packing to do in the overnight bag then another trip westwards although today it is booked via Melksham as opposed to yesterday's 'we might be diverted via Melksham due to a broken rail' (although in fact we weren't diverted as the rail was insufficiently broken to warrant train diversions).  Oddly although the line is closed between Newbury and Bedwyn for bridgeworks there seems to be nothing about it on everybody's 'London centric' list of engineering work, weird.

So off we go and I'll report back tomorrow evening or on Moanday morning and in the meanwhile will see those of you at SWAGday at SWAGday (I have need to have a chat with ChrisF as it happens).

Enjoy your weekend one and all.

• Like 16

SWMBO and myself have just returned from a week's holiday in London, so may I offer generic congratulations or commiserations as appropriate to my fellow ERs.

Came back to some bad news - my next door neighbour came to return our keys and tell us her husband had died unexpectedly. He has been poorly for some time having lost a leg to diabetes a couple of years ago.

Dog is just back from the kennels, has run like a mad thing around the house and is currently being bathed by SWMBO and daughter.

Regards to you all,

Dave

Take your pick from the likely candidates that the consultants have come up with so far based on the shadows they found over my right lung:

Tuberculosis (probably contracted from my clients)

We have a high school nearby where quite a few pupils have contracted TB.

• Like 1

A dull but fine day here. I should be getting some gardening done but I'm knackered so quickly it isn't worth starting. We could have been at the Ffestiniog Quirks and Curiosities weekend but at least we can catch up on the webcams. Best wishes to all who are ailing. Stay safe all.

http://www.festrail.co.uk/webcam.htm

• RMweb Gold

Great nights sleep ( gin assisted), suns out so bikes out, and an afternoon of banter over a mates (Army v Royal Navy rugby).

Not to much to drink as it's Taunton SWAG day on the morrow.

Should be a good afternoon........they've a 8 seater hot tub that you can usually squeeze at least a dozen in......a big tele and a home made bar in the garden.

As at least two of us are ex RM........I have been warned not to start a naked bar........again!

I dont remember seeing a hot tub at SWAG before  still it is a new team  :jester:

Don

• Like 1