The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

afternoon.. some cricket "tutor training" achieved.. boy oh boy did the MCC really understand what the Law changes mean?

Herculaneum Dock has a lift up flap to get in and out without ducking down under the base boards... do we use it a exhibitions? No.....why?  In the shed the layout is held by the walls of the shed... no such restraint at a show...

Watching England v the Pumas.... seems like the Pumas are re-writing the "tackle" laws in the Laws of Rugby.

Never rains but it pours for Debs.. need everyone to send her really positive thoughts.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, I'm just back from Spalding,

The journey there, was made interesting by,

Cockwomble 1, a lorry driver entering a roundabout Without looking, the Audi in front of me had to take evasive action onto to grass of the roundabout, I just hit the brakes.

Cockwomble 2, as I was in the slip lane into the garage, a car in the carry straight on lane, cut right across in front of me.

Cockwomble 3 my in car navigator, which decided part the way through the route, that from kings Lynn to Spalding the best route was via Peterborough. I just ignored her...

The show. Enjoyed, sadly for my purpose, the was little rock work on display.

It was the first time I've seen AJ couplings in use, I'm quite impressed.

It was also the first time I'd seen a layout using dingham couplings ..... Uncoupling by hand???? I'm intending to use dingham , but there will be electromagnets fitted.

The show this year I think was a better standard than last, generally better modelling all round.

Several wagons, 2 and 4 mm purchased second hand from Spalding MRC's own stand, they always seem to have the good bargain.

One book purchased new "The Railway, British Track since 1804" very interesting...

For those intending to go tomorrow I can confirm that peppermint junction is open to and from the south. It is not open however, from the north.

Time to.... Have my tea...

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I think some of the people in the Apple shops suffer from a surfeit of confidence.

I obviously need to visit Specsavers.  When I first read that I thought it said "A surfeit of continence"  Obviously a Freudian brain slip of some description.

Jamie

• Like 5

A bit apocryphal as BC only had 604 until October 1996 when 250 was added.  (I used to work in facilities and routings for AGT, now Telus) In the 80s the phone system was rapidly running out of area codes. Prior to 1985 all area codes had to have 0 or 1 as the middle digit. Exchanges had to have 2-9. It was a massive effort across every phone company in North America to change the software on every digital switch and replace all analogue equipment that couldn't handle the change. ITs amazing the useless crap one retains in memory.

OK, I bow to your obviously superior knowledge. I do know my boss did get such phone calls. I just assumed that 250 existed then, and that was the cause. IIRC, the calls came from northern BC and the Yukon. It wasn't just a misdial of the last 4 digits of the number - it involved something at a 'higher' level than that.

Nice to see Debs here. Hope you're recovering.

Yes thanks; I`m doing what I`ve been told by the medics last night; resting!......but they didn`t actually specify the log fire and the hot chocolate. :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a good day at Romford today, though I was well supplied with modelling tokens today I didn't spend that many but tomorrow there's a swapmeet at Rayleigh.

Oh Ye (x several) of little faith. I haven't self harmed for quite a while....said he....touching wood and crossing digits.

A bit risky doing both at the same time.

Perhaps GDB ( and others) need this...

I want one!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Off to the Peco thread for you, my lad!

I have an excuse or two..

A, Granddad was a ganger....

B, I model in EM, I wouldn't use something as inaccurate as PECO, bullhead or otherwise....

• Like 9

A fairly relaxing day with plenty of washing and ironing completed.

Decided to have Chinese tonight for a change. There was too much even for me so now I don't feel like moving.

Debs - My thoughts are with you.

Back later

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have an excuse or two..

A, Granddad was a ganger....

B, I model in EM, I wouldn't use something as inaccurate as PECO, bullhead or otherwise....

Sounds like an ideal set of qualifications to set it alight! :jester:  It seems most of the heated opinion is from folk who wouldn't use it anyway - I just don't get that, but I model in two foot gauge as well as 16.5 so what would I know!

I bet your Grandad was interesting?  I loved talking to old railwaymen, (and not so old...sorry Mike) they have such a rich story to tell.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Mention of cockwombles reminds me of an incident a couple of days ago.  Having left Sister Drac Natasha (yes, she really is called Natasha - she's Russian) I ventured to WHS and thence to Waitrose where I picked up a punnet of mushrooms and proceeded to the checkout, choosing the shortest queue - of one.  I place a divider on the belt and then put down my punnet of mushrooms - getting rather 'what do you think you're doing?' look from the bloke ahead of me.  But as his last item was scanned he then reached over the divider and picked up my mushrooms for scanning with his shopping - and I got the impression he wasn't so much being generous as downright cockwombleish.  In fact he seemed even more surprised when I asked him to return my mix shrooms to where they had been.

He then proceeded to be a standard supermarket male of the worst kind having packed not one single item of his shopping as it had been scanned.  Fortunately while he was deciding to finally put his shopping into his bag the checkout operator scanned my mushrooms, I paid and set off past him.  The person in the queue behind me was by that stage getting ready to clout said cockwomble as he was still packing stuff, and there were only about 7 or 8 items, into his bag when I left.  Totally disorganised and obviously firmly of the opinion that once he had stuff on the belt at the checkout it was forbidden for anyone else to put their shopping there.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to hear to you’re eating mushrooms, Mike. Our news paper was running an article today on what a wonder food they are, according some scientist or other. Eat loads with every meal. (commercial from the Mushroom Marketing Board)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Found online and immediately thought one of our members must feel a little home-sick after being away so long, so here's something for Rick ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBdVwjgmGPM

:P

Debs, good to see you in again. :yes:

“Schony747” who is responsible for that and many other Melbourne tram videos is a Yarra Trams driver and very good friend of mine. Thanks for the link.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

Well the day started of early, as Evie was up with the sparrows fart and when I looked out of the kitchen window I could see that it was foggy too! But by mid morning the sun was shining and it turned into a lovely day.

Evie and I eaten our breakfast before Sheila had got down stairs, which is usually the case anyway. After that, the rest of the day passed by very quietly, very quietly indeed. As all she wanted to do was play with the selection of toys that reside in the dining room. I think she enjoys that fact that she can play and do what she wants, without any interference from her siblings. It was lovely seeing her play so happily and quietly so much so that I was able to read through a couple of magazines today, which was in its self very nice.

Lunch, when we have weekend guests is usually pancakes served up with maple syrup, today was no different, although it was only Evie and me, as Sheila doesn't partake in them.

After I'd taken her home it was time to sit and relax with a cup of tea and finish off reading BRM before heading out to pick up the Indian takeaway, which was tonight's tea.

After that it was open a bottle of red and put our feet up and watch a film. Boy we really know how to party here at BSW01 towers, I can tell you.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

We didn't go to Enfield. I did unwrap my new loco. I think it looks very nice. I didnt put a decoder in yet though I did find a suitable one I didn't remember buying. Robbie did get a walk.

Aditi wanted to watch a film but not anything with spaceships. So downloaded another old film she wanted to see. This time it was "The Philadelphia Story" . Definitely no spaceships.

Tony

• Like 15