The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Packing...ho hum! A case of suitcase tetris.. best left to her indoors.

Me I take two pairs of shoes, her, well at the moment 4 pairs packed.back to the packing

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

Morning.

Mrs was still under the weather yesterday so I went "solo" to dinner and the MLK concert with our friends.

We chose an eatery we'd not been to for a long while, food was very good, but both the food AND wine required us to apply for a second mortgage - won't be visiting there again soon, and also it seems to indicate possibly why it's never exactly full when we drive by! :O  :jester:

Concert excellent as always, only negative was that, since I've been travelling coinciding with rehearsals, I was in the audience this year instead of in the choir <sigh>

Quiet outside here today as it's Martin Luther King day and there is no school, therefore no parade of school buses and shouting kids first thing.

Government offices/banks etc., all get the day off, most regular working stiffs don't, so here I am working posting on RMWeb.

Mrs not up yet (9AM!) so I'm guessing she's still under the weather. Was due to work today, her one day of the week, but certainly appears she's not doing that...

We got another 3-4 inches of snow yesterday, and it's now -17, partly sunny expecting occasional light snow/flurries and a high of -15.

OK, I best make some money for the taxman to steal back from me, enjoy the start of the week.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the holiday hire cars I have driven have been of the "or similar" variety.

Email has been sent to the rental company to try and make sure it isn't similar. I did go down the route of "birthday surprise". We'll hope for the best.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Email has been sent to the rental company to try and make sure it isn't similar. I did go down the route of "birthday surprise". We'll hope for the best.

Cheers,

Mick

What would "be similar" to a convertible Mustang? The Hyundai Getz we got once was certainly not similar to a Golf. Definitely didn't cope well with the Grossglockner going up or down.

Tony

• Like 8

At last the van is sorted out. Well, when I say sorted out I mean collected.

Now all I need to do is load it ready for tomorrow.

Another time I'll have to unload it and fit it out how I want.

• Like 17

What would "be similar" to a convertible Mustang? The Hyundai Getz we got once was certainly not similar to a Golf. Definitely didn't cope well with the Grossglockner going up or down.

Tony

Chrysler Seebrig, or a VW EOS. Neither are a decent substitution. 

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chrysler Seebrig, or a VW EOS. Neither are a decent substitution.

We had a Sebring in (I think it was) 2010. It was quite economical to run. The descent from Mt Washington has suggested places to rest brakes and transmission. The Chrysler needed them! It wasn't a convertible though, and to be honest the car hire was just for "sedan for three adults and luggage".

Tony

• Like 3

At last the van is sorted out. Well, when I say sorted out I mean collected.

Now all I need to do is load it ready for tomorrow.

Another time I'll have to unload it and fit it out how I want.

Now. . . c'mon, lad . . .we need details . . . make, model, year, at least . .otherwise how are we to agree or pake the tiss?

John

• Like 11

How in the world can anybody eat (and enjoy) Pot Noodle - I'm not sure/100% convinced that it should even be sold for human consumption - It is EXACTLY like chewing on rubber bands, and possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth! I quite like the Sobu range or Nong Shin Pots but when I went looking for them there was only the Naked Noodle range (which TBH is not amongst my Favorites) or the Kobutu ones which are , to my taste , edible but very similar and somewhat flavourless . I just wanted a hot snack for my tea, but Not Poodles - NEVER, EVER again! YUCK!!

• RMweb Gold

How in the world can anybody eat (and enjoy) Pot Noodle - I'm not sure/100% convinced that it should even be sold for human consumption - It is EXACTLY like chewing on rubber bands, and possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth! I quite like the Sobu range or Nong Shin Pots but when I went looking for them there was only the Naked Noodle range (which TBH is not amongst my Favorites) or the Kobutu ones which are , to my taste , edible but very similar and somewhat flavourless . I just wanted a hot snack for my tea, but Not Poodles - NEVER, EVER again! YUCK!!

I used to like the beef and tomato many years ago but they changed it and haven't touched them since. However many would say that I am weird anyway

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Well B(lithering)A(wful) really do know how to p2ss off their customers. I can check in but her indoors can't (and she paid for the tickets!!). What a joke!

No help desk for the needy.

Pah!

Stationmaster...that 800 thread is back in a bun fight again.. we had lost one of the combatants but he has re-appeared to cause even more chaos!

Baz

Now. . . c'mon, lad . . .we need details . . . make, model, year, at least . .otherwise how are we to agree or pake the tiss?

John

64 plate LWB 1.6 Combo

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well B(lithering)A(wful) really do know how to p2ss off their customers. I can check in but her indoors can't (and she paid for the tickets!!). What a joke!

No help desk for the needy.

Pah!

Stationmaster...that 800 thread is back in a bun fight again.. we had lost one of the combatants but he has re-appeared to cause even more chaos!

Baz

I visited the thread not long since and hopefully poured some oil on troubled waters - but some might take it as petrol and use the opportunity to drop a match in it.  Maybe the answer would be to stop 12 year old trainspotters posting (because that's definitely the impression I form of one of them).

Best of luck with BA - amazing juts how quickly a one decent line can descend to the pits of doom and disinterest in their clientele.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Great to see Andy posting, and doing OK.  Also nice to see his praise for the care he received - so many only complain, but never take the time to praise when things go well.

Mad busy at work - means I can pay for the fire wood....and Mrs NHN's new throne chair when it arrives!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I visited the thread not long since and hopefully poured some oil on troubled waters - but some might take it as petrol and use the opportunity to drop a match in it.  Maybe the answer would be to stop 12 year old trainspotters posting (because that's definitely the impression I form of one of them).

Best of luck with BA - amazing juts how quickly a one decent line can descend to the pits of doom and disinterest in their clientele.

Her indoors is "corresponding with a "help" desk in India.....15 minutes so far and it seems that we are responsible for them "losing"  her indoors information..and they reckon we don't have an "e-ticket" ..which we have....lummy  what next???It seems that it is our fault that they have screwed up again....

We may not be travelling tomorrow!... I may be visiting their offices though as it seems their CEO needs a gentle reminder of what a great company looks like...

final word from BA .. it is not our problem you have to sort out our bookings??????

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Talking of B. a we tried numerous times over a couple of years to book with them but each time the website crashed. Have t bothered since.

Yes we the 800 thread has gone silly again.

A bit like Southern as we are on a train 36 minutes late. We had a choice of three different trains all running late but departing very similar times. However we chose this one as it splits at a Redhill so if this is he first one to arrive there, it’s going to up the others behind it. If they put one of the others around us on the fast lines before Stoats Nest Junction then we won’t be delayed much more as the others don’t split at Redhill. Also this train is empty (as most are these days as people just don’t seem to stay out late possibly because of the he state the services) and the disabled toilet isn’t today. However I am advised and so far also through personal checks no so far, all Southern Electrostars hand driers have been turned off due to fire risk.

Really glad that we have such a good bar next to East Croydon Station these days as it certainly eases the pain of commuting

Update. Toilet works but hand drier doesn't as predicted. However our really late train was the first to arrive at Redhill so we made the right call.

Edited by roundhouse

Evening all, and the drive home was nearly in "dusk" light. Quite pleasant, tbh. 

Did do a bit of a double take when the large van  pulled alongside was labelled "RN Bomb Disposal". Don't see those too often around this part of the world. 

Today's lunch of 3 Ryvita (other forms of cardboard are available) reacted to 4 hours in the fridge at work. On exiting my lunchbox it was sufficiently pliable to be folded in half. 

That got me thinking  - how many folds could I make before it broke. 

Many apparently.  

You can tell it was a less exciting day at work today. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Phil, if it is any help, you can often buy a badge separately from a card; we did for Younger Lurker for his 9th birthday just before Christmas. Not that he would wear it....!

Thats exactly what I have done today, I hope he'll like wearing it despite it being as big as a teaplate, his birthday is still a few weeks away yet anyway.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

How in the world can anybody eat (and enjoy) Pot Noodle - I'm not sure/100% convinced that it should even be sold for human consumption - It is EXACTLY like chewing on rubber bands, and possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever put in my mouth! I quite like the Sobu range or Nong Shin Pots but when I went looking for them there was only the Naked Noodle range (which TBH is not amongst my Favorites) or the Kobutu ones which are , to my taste , edible but very similar and somewhat flavourless . I just wanted a hot snack for my tea, but Not Poodles - NEVER, EVER again! YUCK!!

Many years ago, prior to boarding a C 130 full of Paras who were going to be bounced around Wales prior to  a training jump, I  hatched a plot and made up a pot noodle and placed the contents of the pot in a sick bag.  This information was shared with my mate who was a WO and as we left the really bumpy bit I screamed out 'I'm going to be sick!' and proceeded to produce the bulging sick bag.

'Cheers boss, I love it warm!' yelled my co-conspiritor, who proceeded to grab the bag, opened it, put his hand in and started pulling out the contents and stuffing it into his mouth.

This had the desired effect and a number of the greener faced paras decided to have an impromptu retching  competition.

Fortunately we were able to exit the aircraft sharpish like before the Loadmaster could ask us to help clean up the after effects of our little prank.

• Like 3

I only buy the Nissin or Itsu-branded ones in Sainsbury's - the others on offer are either tasteless (Kobutu) or have way too many chemicals (Pot Noodle - the Red Bull of instant noodles). Super Noodles are OK as long as you only use the noodles and not too much of the flavouring - about half of the sachet will do.

Luckily I have at least two Chinese warehouse supermarkets within driving distance and there I can buy the stuff that's available in South East Asia. Nong Shim's alright, as is Maggi. Accept no substitutes.