The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

I wasn't aware how windy it had been until I read some of the ER posts. I went out while Robbie did his patrol this morning and found one garden chair and a potted bay tree overturned but unharmed. Still quite blustery though.

We will be having a visitor today, our bank manager. I think he actually comes to see Robbie rather than give us financial advice.

Have a good day and beware of trampolines.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept through all the (external) wind last night, problem is that our council does not provide bins other than for garden and some food waste, everything else goes in plastic bags which are now scattered down the street. Fortunately my bags are OK, the pink recycling bag is still were I placed it and the black bag has only moved a few feet until it came up against the fence. It seems that the binmen are out chasing errant bin bags as theres no sign of the bin wagons dawn chorus yet. Wishing Debs and other ailing ER's well, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a village that seems to have survived what the various storms can throw at it. We certainly haven't had the high winds reported elsewhere.

Q your tale of the high sided lorry reminds me of a couple of trips with a hired 7.5T box van with the layout in it. The worst was coming back from Warley a couple of years ago. I think we came across Tinsley viaduct at about 25mph but still moved lanes at one point without me touching the steering. I have a lot of sympathy with the drivers of high sided vehicles.

The lurgi is still around and the boss is now well in it's grip but apparently the female version of totally different and worse than the male version. I got quite a lot done yesterday and have some jobs lined up for today. The first job is to go and replace some lightbulbs at church. Not a particularly easy job as it looks as if the task wasn't considered at design stage,

Thoughts to all those ailing, and missing.

So a cheery good morning at all part from Baz to whom I wish good afternoon.

Jamie

• Like 13

Got up this morning to a slight covering of snow. Given our proximity to the sea, this is pretty rare. An hour later, most of it has gone again. Today will entail a trip to the dentist, which was hastily arranged in advance of my chemotherapy starting next week. As the dentist is in Cockermouth, this trip will also involve some shopping.

• RMweb Premium

Being ex military stupid long hours occasionally were par for the course.  The worst was being snowed in for 3 days and 2 nights on a base we were doing a course at. So it was course during the day and snow clearance at night, I was lucky being the only one with Landrover Snowplough on his military licence, the rest were out there digging away snow from radar doors / ventilation intakes etc.

Though I'm feeling close to as I did after the above having had just 12 hours sleep in 3 nights...

• RMweb Premium

Morning yet again from Estuary-Land. As soon as I signed off earlier this morning the dawn chorus of the bin wagons started, begining with the glass/bottle wagon. My black bin bag had decided to join some of its fellows further down the street but all has been collected now. The sun is shining brightly but still windy atm.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Very windy overnight though the worst was over by the time I set forth. Major disruptions everywhere. A large tree has apparently destroyed two lineside signalling equipment cabinets at Milford which may take some time to make good. Trees down over the main line south of Basingstoke and at Epsom. Southern also in disarray. Overground suspended on both routes to the House of Fun due to wind-borne debris fouling point blades. And my mate who works Eastleigh panel was gloating over how few trains he was offered. You can go off some people!

Second half beckons. Widespread disruption likely to persist. Best wishes to all.

• RMweb Premium

The bad weather seems to be mostly bypassing the North-West. There is a forecast of some snow late evening.

So I may have to change "it's grim up north", to "it's sometimes more grim down south"......................

Stay safe folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

My wife always complained about overnight excessive wind but now we have single beds, she doesn't care anymore. A sentiment I agree with.

One long blast is something I don't have to worry about also as I do want her to pass me on my port side.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My wife always complained about overnight excessive wind but now we have single beds, she doesn't care anymore. A sentiment I agree with.

One long blast is something I don't have to worry about also as I do want her to pass me on my port side.

A bit nearer to Home, on the Norfolk Broads, One long Blast means..

48 (4) The master of a vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway or a bridge or other place where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction may, if the circumstances require, sound one prolonged blast. Such signals may be answered with a prolonged blast by the master of any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction.

or,

50, In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night, the signals prescribed in this Byelaw shall if the circumstances require be used as follows:

(a) a power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at intervals of not more than two minutes, one prolonged blast;

A prolonged blast means more than 6 seconds...

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Pig Shack blown onto A47 Near Norwich, Police say "they are not sure if it was caused by the wind or a Big Bad Wolf...."

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A bit nearer to Home, on the Norfolk Broads, One long Blast means..

48 (4) The master of a vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway or a bridge or other place where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction may, if the circumstances require, sound one prolonged blast. Such signals may be answered with a prolonged blast by the master of any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction.

or,

50, In or near an area of restricted visibility, whether by day or night, the signals prescribed in this Byelaw shall if the circumstances require be used as follows:

(a) a power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at intervals of not more than two minutes, one prolonged blast;

A prolonged blast means more than 6 seconds...

How many beans do you have to eat to produce a blast of more than six seconds..

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Pig Shack blown onto A47 Near Norwich, Police say "they are not sure if it was caused by the wind or a Big Bad Wolf...."

One of my colleagues once had to submit a form 1 to explain damage to a Panda car.  It had been hit by a wind blown site hut whilst parked..   For some reason he got some stick about that.   

Jamie 

• Like 11

Afternoon all. My lower back is now down to 47 shades of fecked. 

Near death experience was had by one of our recycling bins in the wind. The recently emptied plastics bin ran out of the front gate and straight into the path of an oncoming bus. Driver managed to stop in time. Phew. Naughty bin now sitting in the corner with 30kg of full rubble sack on his head. 

2 1/2 hours on a call with our mortgage adviser this morning. My brain still hurts. The result is 2 years chopped off and a few beer tokens saved each month. Worth the pain methinks. 

My afternoon work has been pushed back to next week so the rest of today is hopefully quiet. 

Enjoy the rest of your day. Tomorrow is TFIF. Thursday is the new Friday, so TFIT!!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Caught up with the major System backlog... yippee

Now starting on the shrapnel (little bits and pieces) backlog.....

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I had to get off my @rse this morning  :resent:  as SWMBO reported the washing m/c was leaking, I spent an hour checking to find nothing as SHE is spring cleaning (yes I know)

she ordered me to sort out the lights, so I popped to Horrorsons for some new bulbs for the main kitchen light fitting has halogen one's in it seem to last about a year and run very

hot so I've switched over to L.E.D.s at 4.5 quid each I could have bought 4 strip lights, the LEDS boast 25000 hrs life so should be cost effective we shall see, whilst I was out

I picked up the Hornby comic so it's back on my @rse for a read/laugh. :read:

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

There was a wolf on the loose earlier today (Not in Norfolk though) after a fence at a wolf sanctuary blew down last night. Now recaptured without any harm to itself.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Waiting of a plane to take us to sheeptoiletcowtoilet. Had a great day travelling on a cable hauled tram, eating nice food, going on a harbour cruise. I can't tick every post on here as flight time approaches. Will check back for more news of Debs..

And with that it's goodnight from me and goodnight from her indoors....

Baz

• Like 16