The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all and it''s a sunny one here.

When I first read Andy iD's post about the A1 Trust I was genuinely pleased to see a road being looked after. The A303 would, I feel also merit its own trust, although it was commemorated in a short documentary "The road to the sun". I while later I twigged that this was referring to a train. I guess I'm struggling to keep up with the ongoing thrad o ER as  work gets a tad busier. 

This week's challenge revealed itself late yesterday afternoon.

And on that note I better head into the office and live up to my growing reputation of sorting other people's problems out. 

Have a nice day peeps, and best wishes to Debs et al. 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

Left work early to visit the doctors to fill in my prescription renewal and drop it in the box in reception. They won't let you order over the phone anymore and they don't appear to use the online service When I tried to set it up.

Then it was off to the station to collect my other half before heading to the hotel where mum and brother are staying to catch up what's been agreed for mum's new place refurbishment. Started to feel quite unwell so we departed and straight home. Feel better this morning but very achy generally so we shall see how long that I can last at work. You are damned if you stay off and damned if you go in feeling unwell in our place so if I pass anything on its their own fault

Would rather not be sitting in these horrible Thameslink seats.

Once upon a time even moving from one education authority to another counted as continuous service for time served benefits. However that all stopped once schools opted out of LEA control.

Funny you should say that. The school is still under LEA control until June. I did some research into sick pay conditions last night and found an online version of the “Burgundy book” that the school business manager referred to. She stated that I, having only been with the LEA since December, would have the year 1 sick pay entitlement. When I challenged this by stating I had been teaching for 20 years, she stated that a change of authority did not count and my contract stated sick pay conditions “as stated in the Burgundy book”.

However the following paragraph is included in the said book;

“for the purpose of the sick pay scheme, service includes all aggregated teaching service with one or more local education authorities”.

That disproves what I was told. It may prove useful.

Anyway - greetings to you all on a bright and sunny morning. Thoughts and prayers for Debs. A warm welcome back to GDB.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 14

Morning all

Bright and sunny here this morning.

Ivory - would donating to a museum work if you can't sell them?

Yes, thanks, for that, John, certainly would - it's the type of stuff that would look good in a stately home bedroom

After last nights high tides one more chalet is to be demolished amking the total 7. According to the radio, the Enviroment agency say this is a once in Sixty year event, which has happened twice this year, once last year and once the year before that.  The 60 year event is what they base no sea defences on.....

How far inland is the sea allowed to encroach until some sort of defence is put in?

Andyram, keep up the rulebook work and stick to your guns on this one.

GDB, hope TheBoss feels better soon and that you get your car problems sorted soon.

Off to charity shop later with more stuff; hope you all have a good day - drier than yesterday if you're in the southeast.

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

WHITE RABBITS ..and no I didn't go to Barwick in Elmet to see them raise the Maypole.

Sunny here..rain due tomorrow but after that more sun..yippeeddooo!

GDB, careful in that kitchen there are lots of things you can damage yourself on!

MickB hope the testing goes well.

Mal, Tony and Aditi, AndyRam and of course Debs, hope today goes well for you all.

We enjoyed our stroll last night. Sunny but very chilly. This may be why we managed about 9 hours of sleep.Lummy!

Today sees a last bit of crust earning then some photography of y things which run on a miniaturized version of a see of steel bits held apart by wood bits and metal clamps.

Jamie congratulations for the 25 years,me I have managed 41 as a member of Leeds MRS. Lummy where did the time go!

Have a great 24 hours on Planet Earth everyone!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

How far inland is the sea allowed to encroach until some sort of defence is put in?

Mal

Thats a good question, it was only a couple of years back natural England were proposing abandoning all sea defences in the area and making a new barrier 4.5 miles inland. The logic didn't work with everyone else  as it would flood a triangle of land, with each side being about 6 miles. Several villages and a large section of the Norfolk Broads would go..

The Chalets that are going over the cliff into the sea, are an extension to the village of Hemsby (permanent population 3275) and mostly are full time homes. How far you have to go inland to reach solid ground I don't know., but even that won't stop the sea.

here's a BBC report after the previous storm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-43465731/hemsby-coastal-erosion-leaves-cliff-top-homes-uninhabitable

it doesn't help the government makes lots of money from allowing sand dredging off of the coast...

• RMweb Gold

GDB, careful in that kitchen there are lots of things you can damage yourself on!

Ha! Consistency is (or should be ) my middle name.* I have not (yet) come to harm in the kitchen but omitted to mention earlier that I did have a slight mishap on board the ship. Whilst leaving the "Live Lounge" in the semi darkness after a great evening's entertainment I smacked my ankle and side of my foot against the bottom of balustrade type thingy. Said foot is now extremely black and blue and a tad painful but I can walk OK.

*Actually my middle name is the same as that given to the new young princely chap and has been given to all the first born males in the family for the last several generations.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

Breakfast has been consumed and the VERY large finished, so as once again the sun is out, I'm off down to the workshop.

Back later

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

When I first read Andy iD's post about the A1 Trust I was genuinely pleased to see a road being looked after. The A303 would, I feel also merit its own trust, although it was commemorated in a short documentary "The road to the sun". I while later I twigged that this was referring to a train. I guess I'm struggling to keep up with the ongoing thrad o ER as  work gets a tad busier. 

Have a nice day peeps, and best wishes to Debs et al. 

After the centre valve gear issue with Tornado, and my own experience of using rope to tie up errant valve gear parts,  I'd suggest it is renamed the A1 Truss.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite sunny here, breezy but I dont know how warm yet as I haven't been outside yet. Computer suggests 9C.

I took Aditi to the opticians yesterday. It was a short visit as we were a day early. I will repeat the exercise this morning and then progress to Chelmsford. My car had some minor damage a fee weeks ago. The repairer will fit the lamp cluster today "while I wait". The painting will be in a couple of weeks.

GDBob's car story sounds like Aditi's sister's VW Golf saga. I think it took longer to produce than Bob's expected delivery. They had even sold their car in anticipation of the date given being true!

I generally look for 6 month old cars. I don't like waiting once I have decided. I have been looking at replacement cars, just online though. Just for "something to do". I had "something to do" when I woke up in the early hours. Aditi has bought some photo frames and wanted some photos of Matthew printing. The printer had been producing streaky and banded images. For some reason (it never used to!) the printer required a password to do anything . So when I woke up I sorted it out. The HP LaserJet website was unhelpful for once, but I sorted it out with a hard reset which also involved a "hidden" button on the touchscreen.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

*Actually my middle name is the same as that given to the new young princely chap and has been given to all the first born males in the family for the last several generations.

Your last name isn't Stevenson then is it.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had "something to do" when I woke up in the early hours. Aditi has bought some photo frames and wanted some photos of Matthew printing. The printer had been producing streaky and banded images. For some reason (it never used to!) the printer required a password to do anything . So when I woke up I sorted it out. The HP LaserJet website was unhelpful for once, but I sorted it out with a hard reset which also involved a "hidden" button on the touchscreen.

Tony

The mouse on my printer is causing problems.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On her way home from Zumba, Sheila called into the local discount shop and bought me a few bottles of beer, a rather nice surprise I must say and just to show my appreciation, I drank one this evening. Well, I do think it would have been very rude of me not to, seeing as she carried them all home.

post-6765-0-88466400-1525166904.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Er, never heard that one before Jamie...... :no:

......said he lying somewhat.  :jester:

morning Peeps

Jamie someone said ihis surname was Simpleton but I know otherwise, Bob I did see BB at the show but gave him a wide berth he was sitting all on his own every time I

past the stand I was invited to join Mick so went with the trio of old codgers, the show was below par with the traders no-one any Humbrol or Railmatch paints, to be honest

it was a waste of time going apart for some excellent layouts and Charlie Petty doing a Punch & Judy show in that stand with a roof on to a roar of laughter from the crowd

when I asked him.

Good luck with your revised choice of chuggerbug, I nearly forgot to ask did you and Chris have a nice time ?.

enjoy your day all  I.M. Oft-Paintin

• Like 14

Il Dottore, do let me chime in. Urban for certain, nothing like a beautiful bit of grot! Railways of the modeling kind  are often too pretty. Smelly, dirty yet  beautiful things are what I remember.....

You have “London’s East End Railways” by D. Brennand? Certainly inspiring me (and I know, Gordon S).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I clicked 'Like' iD but obviously a 'Friendly and Supportive is also need in respect of you suffering from a land grab!  Nice and sunny here so herself has headed to the greenhouse - which might be warmer than the garden as the chilly air is lingering.  I shall however be off to see the Good Count's daughter - I know not which one - ere long but have been told that instead of her taking my blood pressure i can either use the machine just inside the surgery door or go to Tesco and they can email the result, an interesting development in NHS care it would seem.

No other plans but I must remember to procure a birthday card for herself while I'm in the town.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 18