Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

A busy-enough day so far. Off to church this morning, where I assumed my normal position behind the drumkit. (I know! And in a Church of Scotland Presbyterian church too!) This was fraught with difficulty and not a little discomfort, as my cracked ribs protested at my intentions. I managed, but I was a lot slower round the kit than I'm used to and I wound up doing a lot more footwork to fill out the rhythms. Playing anything with my left hand was not a fun experience.

Thence to B&Homewickes, to buy a tarpaulin; onwards to Halford, to buy some Volvo Dark Grey paint (I don't own a Volvo, and the Volvo I don't own isn't Dark Grey) to spray-paint a girder bridge*; from there to Tesco, for vittels; and home. 

Kind regards hollered belligerently from the rooftops at those scurrying beneath;
Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

*Apparently Debs will don her balaclava and kneecap my baseboards for mentioning such things. Since Debs has been regrettably absent for some time now, I am hoping that the provocation of my sheer effrontery will spur her to action (albeit vengeful). Tis a nobler thing I do now...

• Like 16

Typical, I put my tv on for the World Cup final and there is a fault.

I can't see any German footballers.

What is wrong?

I am banging the side of the tv and adjusting the vertical hold, but nothing.

I have my bbq ready and a house full of all my friends but nothing to watch.

THERE IS ALWAYS GERMANY!

Who is responsible for this? Trump, Corbyn, China, Putin?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

:angel:                                             :angel:                                     :angel:                                                 :angel:                                                                                                                                                     

Dutch if the packets have blown up like a balloons bin it otherwise well cooked it should be OK (usual disclaimers apply) :blind:  :superstition:  

Btw I can out do Rick I use to train Staff in H&S and Food Hygiene.  :beee:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 5

... if the packet have blown up like a balloon bin it...

Even if the packet is starting to inflate slightly, I find that cooking the meat in red wine tends to improve it beyond recognition. Soaking it in a good strong full-bodied red really does work and gets good results in the oven.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Supportive thoughts to all those in need, and/or looking for answers. It's 42 by the way.  No idea about the question.....but I can guess one of them.

Took the kayak down to Laxey this morning, but it was too windy for a comfortable paddle, so we pigged out on cake instead at the prom café!

Spent the afternoon fiddling on in the garage with one of my battery garden locos, fitted some new batteries but also found an intermittent fault on the on/off/charge switch, probably been routing rather too many amps through it. 

The weather is cool now and dull, bit of a shame really, I was getting to enjoy the sun.

• Like 17

Evening all,

Coincidentally we just opened an "in date" packet of chicken breasts.   

Quick sniff indicated it needed to go in the bin. 

Allegedly ok until the 18th July and we certainly got it from the shop's chiller cabinet to our fridge quickly enough. 

Happens all too often with produce from one or two retailers.  

I guess the question is this, for the sake of a few Euros, do you want a day or so of (potentially) throwing up. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 8

.... we just opened an "in date" packet of chicken breasts.   

Allegedly ok until the 18th July and we certainly got it from the shop's chiller cabinet to our fridge quickly enough. 

Happens all too often with produce from one or two retailers. ...

I do wonder if the guideline date was "extended" by a new sticker in order to try to get rid of unsold stock?

Supportive thoughts to all those in need, and/or looking for answers. It's 42 by the way.  No idea about the question...

According to Douglas Adams, the ultimate question was "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?". Which, when you combine it with the ultimate answer, explains why things are so screwed up.

• Like 3

Evening all,

Coincidentally we just opened an "in date" packet of chicken breasts.   

Happens all too often with produce from one or two retailers.  

I guess the question is this, for the sake of a few Euros, do you want a day or so of (potentially) throwing up. 

Anything like that goes back to the store for a refund. We bought a four pack of bacon at Costco a couple of weeks ago. The bacon in one pack looked oxidized. They took it all back, no questions asked.

• Like 2

I do wonder if the guideline date was "extended" by a new sticker in order to try to get rid of unsold stock?

There didn't seem to be any sign of that - no pun intended. 

Anything like that goes back to the store for a refund. We bought a four pack of bacon at Costco a couple of weeks ago. The bacon in one pack looked oxidized. They took it all back, no questions asked.

That's what I suggested to swmbo. 

Apparently "we're not having that stuff hang around for a week till I go back in that direction". 

More worryingly this incident seems to have triggered a need to shop at more expensive emporiums. Yoinks. An outright assault on my natural frugality!!

Reminds me of the time a butcher we used in Paisley was nicked for treating meat with something to make it look a lot fresher than it really was. IIRC my dad referred to it as "madame". Carbon-monoxide perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

Evening..

more brownie points earned... lawn edges trimmed, visitor beds made up, ironing (in this heat!!) done, tea cooked and eaten.

Q you didn't wave as you went past en route for Knaresborough (lucky you didn't visit during the week as the Great Yorkshire Show badgered up roads around there for miles).

now for a drink..boy do I need one!

Baz

• Like 15

Meanwhile, not far from here:

http://www.cdapress.com/local_news/20180713/report_massive_od_of_benadryl_killed_isenberg

EDIT:

"Isenberg told authorities her husband fell from the couple’s boat into the lake at Powderhorn Bay north of Harrison."

And that's a whopper too. The lake is essentially a river. It's fed by two large rivers at one end and the water leaves by a river at the other end. Powderhorn Bay is substantially downstream from where his body was found. The prevailing wind also pushes towards the exit.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. If I have any doubts about food I bin it even if it looks OK. Well I bin most of it, I've just left a few eggs that are past their use by dates out for the local foxes, they are probably OK. Some supermarkets stuff seems to keep better than others, Tesco's seems to keep well but Asda's stuff is already going off by the sell by date. If your looking for bargains Tesco's clear their deli counters in the late afternoon, all the stuff is still fresh and has often a few days to the use by date but is often at half price or less.

• Like 2

My wife worked as a hospital microbiologist. I let her make the decisions about what can be kept and what should be tossed! About yoghurt, she says that as long as the "use by" date is in the current geological era, it's edible.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

My wife worked as a hospital microbiologist. I let her make the decisions about what can be kept and what should be tossed! About yoghurt, she says that as long as the "use by" date is in the current geological era, it's edible.

I like the adverts for a certain natural spring water "filtered through volcanic rocks for a thousand years" and it has a sell by date in a few months..........................

Cheers,

MIck

• Like 2

....I've just left a few eggs that are past their use by dates out for the local foxes, they are probably OK. ....

...or you may be responsible for the greatest mass-poisoning since Lucrezia Borgia invited everyone around for a wine 'n anthrax party.

She may be familiar with fizzy yoghurt, which is easily made. All you need is yoghurt, plus time.....

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Right, that’s my first solo shift on NGT10s completed. Aside from having had to reset 1008 twice due to propulsion errors (which I personally attribute to the heat), nothing untoward happened, and I continue to find myself much liking our new rocketships. :yes:

Now unwinding a bit before bedtime. See y‘all on the morrow, troops... :bye:

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

No rain is forecast here until Tuesday then dry again. The dry garden at RHS Hyde Hall is doing well this year. It was planted to show what could be done in such a dry part of the country and then we had a couple of really wet winters!

We had a nice afternoon with MiL. I escaped the tennis watching for 20 minutes by going for a walk to buy some milk. MiL was concerned I may get sunstroke but I said I would choose a shady route. I survived and we could have more tea! In most normal families with a relative just round the corner it would perhaps have not required a trip to Waitrose but ....

The M25 and A127 were not at all crowded. There didn’t seem to be a lot of people heading for an evening of fun and frolics in Southend this evening.

Tony

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely unlawful but known to occur especially with chicken because it does not discolour the way red meats do.

Retailers : if you are going to do this remember the purchases can be traced and sometimes so can the offending staff member.

Customers : use common sense and if it looks on the older side of fresh it probably is.

There is no 100% foolproof way of ensuring food is fit to eat. Over the years I have opened new bottles of milk with a few days life on them only to discover they are already off. Very occasionally fresh meat does not last until its use-by date. And I now have to put bread in the fridge to keep it from mouldering in the hot weather yet the butter still lives in its dish on the kitchen bench without souring. There’s irony.

• Like 6