Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all

Cough and cold is striking with a vengeance this morning, but hoping to feel more human after a muggacoffee before work. The cold and frosty weather seems to have been replaced with heavy rain. 

Hope everyone's Monday goes as well as can be hoped.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

32 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Altitude is very debilitating. I need lots of hydration even in the Denver area or I can get headaches.  I once attended a meeting at Breckenridge. If I recall correctly the village is above 9,000'. Even the short uphill stroll from the village to the hotel left me gasping.

It certainly can be. I was very aware of it when were living close to sea level and went to Mammoth in the Sierras. My car noticed it even more.

We are at 2,000 feet here which helps a bit but on the way to Colorado I skied a couple of days in Utah staying in Eden which is around 5,000 feet. The hotel at Snowmass was at 8,600 feet but increasing the altitude over a few days did the trick and I didn't have a problem. That was more by accident than design but I'll do it the same way if I'm still capable of skiing Colorado.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Good moorning ERs.....

Lots of little bits and bats to sort out today.

Doesn't seem as cold today so ideal for a bit of a walkabout.

Mugatea being drunk...off to do a bit more exploring on here as it seems easier to spend time looking at threads I had missed before. Perhaps a set of FAQs is required though?

Positive thoughts to Mal and Gabe, John and Sandy, Rick and our still hospitalised Debs.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Wet and windy start but it is warmer than the past few days and may possibly brighten up later.

Today I will be mainly visiting the loft to have a look at what is stored dumped up there and what can be disposed of.  This may take a while.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A very good nights sleep, of 6.5 hours solid.

Just as Ben the Border Collie and me set out on patrol the heavens opened, He didn't think much of that, so the patrol was cut short. Needless to say there is no frost this morning.

A couple of years ago on a frosty morning, the climb from the bottom car parks to the top of Ally Pally hill left me gasping, I had to stop a couple of times.  I had hoped I wouldn't follow Dad in this respect as he needs an inhaler quite often these days. Hopefully I won't get it as bad as Dad as he was a smoker for many years and made the mistake of volunteering to be a victim of Porton Down.

The Ally Pally Show was for the National Dinghy exhibition (2nd 3rd Mar 2019), me and my sailing compatriot go every couple of years and take turns to be driver, it will be my turn this time. As my summer sailing club is exhibiting I can get discounted tickets this year too...

The Winter Sailing clubs membership went up by 3 on Sunday, My sailing compatriots Sister and husband have decided to move their boat to our club. Also one of the other members brought another new member aged two weeks, Mummy was sailing till a couple of months back and hopes to start sailing again shortly while hubby will be left in the club house holding the baby..

With the aches and pains from yesterdays sailing this mornings first task here was not pleasant, I had to move a very expensive frequency source from the bottom of the System I wanted to calibrate, to the bottom of the system next to it. This required getting down of the floor several times front and back to disconnect cables and then moving it to then reconnect it. Then lie on the floor to reprogamme it to the right frequency and voltage..

That floor is definately a source of increasing gravity..

This forum alteration has coincided with more updates from MS onto the systyems here, causing me more confusion, which isn't hard these days..

Time to take the 4th measurement of this weeks major system..

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a wet Surrey. Still struggling with the new format. So far I can only view two of my created threads and that's only due to others posting on them since the upgrade so for now I won't be posting much apart from on here till it gets sorted and no new thread for my next layout for now.

Currently at Mums and been onto BT again as she has Internet but no telephone and despite unplugging everything including all dsl splitters and Internet with just a basic phone it still doesn't work. At least she has Internet but even Skype stopped working. I know the Internet is working as I am using it at the moment on my phone to type this. An engineer is calling tomorrow but it may cost her £80 if they don't find a fault on their bit.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It seems that I'm not the only one who’s struggling to find followed threads, even my signature style has changed!

Anyway, back to today, all the snow has gone and the temperature has risen from -1 to 6C, but it rained overnight.

Sheila will shortly be setting off to her Zumba class, once she’s set off, I’m going to the workshop to carry on working on the L class loco. A lot of progress has been made but there is still much to do.

back later. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A damp and dull morning here in North Shropshire. Had amugo'coffee and contemplated the day's requirements such as chasing the man at the computer shop about the new printer he's been promising to get me for the best part of three weeks (that's what I get for trying to support my high street shops rather than going to the big chains or on line), trying to sort out why SWMBO's iPad won't send emails even though I've reset everything n times, posting some stuff I've sold on a well-known auction site, shopping for tonight's dinner and possibly, if I'm ever so lucky, spending an hour in the workshop.

l've also been thinking about our friends on RMW who have big troubles and wishing them all well; puts my trivial problems in perspective.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Wet and windy start but it is warmer than the past few days and may possibly brighten up later.

Today I will be mainly visiting the loft to have a look at what is stored dumped up there and what can be disposed of.  This may take a while.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Should have put in my last post - be careful up there Bob.

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Page 7400. How appropriate.

My 74xx is due to arrive this morning.

This was a purchase of the 'best get it whilst around' as it has no place in my current plans but is one that is necessary for a future scheme.

My next big purchase will be the ER 16 colletts and the respective chucks for the lathe and mill.

The price of these causing more sweating than the thought of trying to get the 74xx past the Obergrumpenfuhrerer's psychic sensors

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to all for your warm wishes; they're greatly appreciated!

The snow here has now given way to dismal rain, but at least the forecast has changed from solid rain to "mostly clear". Remains to be seen whether that actually will be the case, but I can live in hope!

In other very trivial news, bizarrely we've had no post for 5 or 6 days now. I'm certain it's got absolutely nothing to do with the snow (it was never bad enough not to travel from the depot to our street), and interestingly the other end of the village has had their post. I thought it was weird when we didn't get any post for 3 days, but when my package never turned up through their 48 hour service I decided to track it. It went to our local depot on Friday early morning and went "out for delivery". I waited and waited and nothing turned up. The next day at 10.30am it changed to "item retention" which usually means the intended address is a business that wasn't open at time of delivery; interesting considering there are no businesses on this street, and they never even tried to deliver anyway! Either way, if it doesn't turn up today I shall have to investigate further...

9 hours ago, lightengine said:

I no longer seem to be able to view all of the topics I have posted in because the my content section does not seem to be working.

I'm hoping that this is purely because the software is still indexing the 3 million+ posts and 1 million+ photos!

If it's still the case in a weeks time then I'm hoping another workaround will be found.
I have to say as NGRM went through the same change, I'm perhaps not finding it as hard to adjust as most people, but all I'll say is give it time and you'll be surprised how you'll get used to it. I'm pretty sure once the indexing is done, a lot of problems will disappear which means Andy and the team can then try adding all the "bells and whistles"!

10 hours ago, andyram said:

When I find a topic, such as ER's, I cannot instantly go to "last unread".

There is a way, but it's admittedly easily overlooked. Press the little black dot on the topic name to jump to the last unread post in any topic. Click for an example.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I quite like this "quote selection" feature.

Altitude is very debilitating. I need lots of hydration even in the Denver area or I can get headaches.  I once attended a meeting at Breckenridge. If I recall correctly the village is above 9,000'. Even the short uphill stroll from the village to the hotel left me gasping.

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

It certainly can be. I was very aware of it when were living close to sea level and went to Mammoth in the Sierras. My car noticed it even more.

We are at 2,000 feet here which helps a bit but on the way to Colorado I skied a couple of days in Utah staying in Eden which is around 5,000 feet. The hotel at Snowmass was at 8,600 feet but increasing the altitude over a few days did the trick and I didn't have a problem. That was more by accident than design but I'll do it the same way if I'm still capable of skiing Colorado.

Yes altitude and Colorado.   I had a mad male menopause thing in my early 50's and decided I wanted to get over 10,000' on my pushbike before I was too old. I sought advice and by chance Jane Tomlinson's brother put me on the right track when I was with my father in casualty one night.  That led me to a website run by Harvard medical school which gave me a lot of very useful information.  I thus planned my trip accordingly.  One thing was never to sleep at your highest altitude, always try and go down at least 1,000' for the night.   I went over for 3 weeks and spent the first 10 days between 5,000 and 8,500' starting in Denver then to Cheyenne and Laramie then back to Golden.  Then it was time for the high country and the first day got me over 9,000 but I slept at 7,500.   The Colorado road map had the altitude of every town in it's index.  Then over Kenosha (10,000) and slept at Como (about 9,000) then up Boreas Pass on the old Denver South pass and Pacific route and summitted at 11,500 where my avatar was taken.   Then down to Breckenridge for the night. The following day I went over Vail pass (10,000)  to Minturn before the last day following the river down to Glenwood Springs via Dotsero.  The altitude advice certainly worked and it is not to be messed with.   The ride also put various demons to bed that I had been carrying  from my last couple of years to work.   It was certainly well worth doing and Colorado and Wyoming are fabulous places.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, good moaning from the Charente.   The sweep came at 09,00 and did a good job very efficiently, removing several kilos of soot from the flue.  the fire has now been relit.   We have been continuing with the kitchen cupboard repainting.   The final doors have been taken off and Beth has painted the last cupboard carcass.   I'm now working my way through the hinges and the preparatory work for fitting the new handles.   I might even be given a bit of time off for good behaviour this afternoon and get some soldering one in the shed.  

Thoughts very much with Mal and Gabe.  I know that he is on FB and will try to contact him.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

No altitude here although the 150 foot contour line does run along the top end of the garden but I do like mountains and used to enjoy messing about on skis although arthur-itis means i can definitely no longer do very well in the bending of one of them.  It also warned about the weather change of course and our delightful two sunny days have been replaced by rain with some some fist & mog promised for later, what snow we still have is mainly where we piled it when clearing the front path and drive.

One thing I did some while back was to try to separately save - in a folder in my favourites list on Safari - links to RMweb threads which I had stated or to which I'd contributed chat (hopefully useful) and photos.  Alas it doesn't cover all of them but I have got 17 threads that I can get to with a single click off my Safari favourites without even first entering RMweb, rather handy at times and I've even managed to restore the photos in one of them.

Incidentally we had a quite amazing postal experience during the worst of the snow - herself ordered various sorts of bird food from Brinvale on Thursday afternoon and it was duly delivered to our door by Royal Mail on Friday morning, notwithstanding the hills and 4 inches of snow on the ground.  One does get a similarly quick delivery from some model railway suppliers but Brinvale are amazing at getting stuff out quickly, even in poor weather.

Have a good day one and all and hoping things will go well for those who are suffering or, as in Rick's case, are under investigation.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Late on parade today

I decided to visit pastures new first then here.

I've a Swiss Mountain Railway tour to book for September this year and I did wonder about the effect of some of the high altitude rides included in the tour one mountain station is 8300' , I suffered some mild form of Asthma in 2000 for a while after I had a mild heart attack bought on by working in extremely cold conditions has any one experienced these tours Her would not be best pleased if I peg it half way up the hillside. 

After yesterdays expensive trip out Her said lets look for a new rug more expense every time I get something for the house she sticks Her oar in Married life can be very cruel. :(

Today  I filled some windows in on a coach earlier and waiting for the filler to set up now I have got going I'm back to the Indian Hill Rly landscape and bits of polystyrene, life can be fun.

Better get on and move my butt off this seat before I end up with ear-ache H.Endpecked :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Tea break. Been up to the loft and down several times without incident. I am now filthy and have several large boxes and bags of "stuff" to sort through and hopefully will be able to dispose of at least some of it. There is more stuff up there though but that can wait until I've been through this first lot.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the old loft clear-out. I know it well!

Our loft hatch happens to be in my bedroom so I have no choice but to get involved whenever access is needed. The barrel bolt that's supposed to hold the hatch from swinging down has never actually corresponded with the hole it's supposed to, so occasionally it'll become sentient and randomly drop open, smashing the barrel bolt handle into the plaster of my wall. As is often the case with these things, neither the barrel bolt nor the wall has been fixed!

Anyway, we cleared our loft out a couple of years ago; still got a few items up there but the vast majority has either been given away or otherwise disposed of. I'm currently debating whether to put all my boxes (locomotive boxes, camera boxes and other packaging up there so I don't have to look at them on top of my cupboards.

I try not to have too much stuff, although model-making (and of course the resulting layouts) forms the majority of the stuff I own. Clothes that I don't use go to clothes banks at least once a year - I can't stand owning stuff I don't use! (He says, thinking about his old layout that's covered in dust in the garage that's been there for 10 years probably by now). In any case, having a proper clear out is very satisfying, and well worth the effort; especially when you find something you forgot you had!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

If you remember yesterdays sailing report, I mentioned we went down one bank to overtake the others, . Heres a picture of one of yesterdays race's .

We are in 5th place in this shot, behind the boat in the middle thats without a spinnaker. The leading three on the right stick to the middle /right hand side as you look at it, we sweep from behind  the boat, across to the left as you look at it, in front of the red sailed boat.

By the time we have done another 800 yards we are in second with just the red hulled boat in front of us..

1503461982_51237915_1126349447518184_8900463544999346176_n1.jpg.59590ac2e017b9faaabd4735f5dda66e.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 81C said:

Late on parade today

I decided to visit pastures new first then here.

I've a Swiss Mountain Railway tour to book for September this year and I did wonder about the effect of some of the high altitude rides included in the tour one mountain station is 8300' , I suffered some mild form of Asthma in 2000 for a while after I had a mild heart attack bought on by working in extremely cold conditions has any one experienced these tours Her would not be best pleased if I peg it half way up the hillside. 

After yesterdays expensive trip out Her said lets look for a new rug more expense every time I get something for the house she sticks Her oar in Married life can be very cruel. :(

Today  I filled some windows in on a coach earlier and waiting for the filler to set up now I have got going I'm back to the Indian Hill Rly landscape and bits of polystyrene, life can be fun.

Better get on and move my butt off this seat before I end up with ear-ache H.Endpecked :biggrin_mini2:

We went up to Jungfraujoch. It claims to be the highest station in the alps. We went for a walk on the glacier. The altitude didn’t seem to be a problem but we were not running about. What you will need is dark glasses. The glare from the sun was intense. Aditi has a steroid inhaler for regular use and a ventolin one if she exerts herself and feels breathless.  Perhaps your GP, Practice Nurse, or pharmacist could advise about your asthma?

I have never had any noticeable altitude problems, not that I do anything particulately sporty. However after the trip to 2017 Switzerland I had pneumonia.

I seemed fine but last summer in the alps I felt somewhat breathless compared to any previous trip. It seemed better as the holiday progressed. I had no problems whatsoever at 1000m just when we when up further. 

There is quite a difference between valley temperatures and those up at the top.  Don’t forget your coat!

i can remember driving cars that had carburettors, they didn’t like altitude much. 

Aditi is currently trying to choose which coat to take to Paris as it will be slightly warmer but possibly wetter than here. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7