RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A damp and dull morning here in North Shropshire. Had amugo'coffee and contemplated the day's requirements such as chasing the man at the computer shop about the new printer he's been promising to get me for the best part of three weeks (that's what I get for trying to support my high street shops rather than going to the big chains or on line), trying to sort out why SWMBO's iPad won't send emails even though I've reset everything n times, posting some stuff I've sold on a well-known auction site, shopping for tonight's dinner and possibly, if I'm ever so lucky, spending an hour in the workshop.

l've also been thinking about our friends on RMW who have big troubles and wishing them all well; puts my trivial problems in perspective.

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.

Dave

I hope I am not stating the obvious and if you have done this please ignore. You mention that the iPad won’t send emails. Does this mean it receives emails? My neighbour's iPad did this. She had changed her email  password but had only altered the receive password. The send password therefore didn’t work. When you set it up initially I think it sets both passwords to be the same. The chap at the Apple store couldn’t sort it and told her to just use an  iMail account instead of her long established virgin media email. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 12

5 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning from a wet Surrey. Still struggling with the new format. So far I can only view two of my created threads and that's only due to others posting on them since the upgrade so for now I won't be posting much apart from on here till it gets sorted and no new thread for my next layout for now.

Currently at Mums and been onto BT again as she has Internet but no telephone and despite unplugging everything including all dsl splitters and Internet with just a basic phone it still doesn't work. At least she has Internet but even Skype stopped working. I know the Internet is working as I am using it at the moment on my phone to type this. An engineer is calling tomorrow but it may cost her £80 if they don't find a fault on their bit.

Twice Mum has had similar problems and eventually both occasions were resolved by simply unplugging all 3 phones from the phone jack and the power and plugging them all back in.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

There is a way, but it's admittedly easily overlooked. Press the little black dot on the topic name to jump to the last unread post in any topic. Click for an example.

Many thanks SRS for that snippet of information, solves my biggest problem working out what does what on the new RMweb so can now can return to enjoying RMweb again.

Now have to find out where my little picture on the top left hand corner has gone to......

Keith

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Oooh, seems like I've been clever and found how to add the profile pic, despite the age still seem to have a bit of intuition left in me.

Can't find the pic of me in front of the Shinkansen so will have to do with the pic of me in front of a Bernina railcar outside Alp Grum station.

Keith

AlpGrum-01.jpg.e2a31f1c0648ca01b872aba4bbef08f5.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Wet and windy start .

Bob.

Bob I was like that a couple of days ago too it must have been the egg sandwiches I ate. :biggrin_mini2:

Tony I've spoken to the tour company there is another line which peaks out at 10000' up in the snow line so that's another coat for us to buy I'll have a chat with the pharmacist tomorrow she might suggest GTN spray I haven't suffered with Asthma for 17 years .. 

I did spend a hour in the garage earlier sorting some old tools and equipment that came off the van 4 years ago when I retired a chap up the road said he will pay for some of the stuff wall paper steamer, dust sheets, paint trays his trade is interior decorator so I should take a good few railway tokens off him.

Must get on    Dusty Cloves.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 81C said:

Bob I was like that a couple of days ago too it must have been the egg sandwiches I ate. :biggrin_mini2:

Tony I've spoken to the tour company there is another line which peaks out at 10000' up in the snow line so that's another coat for us to buy I'll have a chat with the pharmacist tomorrow she might suggest GTN spray I haven't suffered with Asthma for 17 years .. 

I did spend a hour in the garage earlier sorting some old tools and equipment that came off the van 4 years ago when I retired a chap up the road said he will pay for some of the stuff wall paper steamer, dust sheets, paint trays his trade is interior decorator so I should take a good few railway tokens off him.

Must get on    Dusty Cloves.

The two highest railways we went on were the ones to Schilthorn (Piz Gloria) and the Jungfraujoch. Schilthorn is the one with the revolving restaurant used in a James Bond film. There is a James Bond themed exhibition. Amusingly the loos were labelled “Bonds” and “Bond Girls”.  Rather a lot of chaps seemed to think  the “Bond Girls” door was part of the exhibition.

As we weren’t on an organised rail trip we had time to have lunch in the rotating restaurant, which was a buffet and seemed much cheaper than choosing individual items. 

Tony

• Like 14
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Thanks but Yep tried that.

Even went to Argos and bought a new basic phone but still same situation.

Fingers crossed the engineer can sort it tomorrow.

I am sure the engineer will fix it. The “my internet works but my phone doesn’t” was something we used to get, not often, but often enough to do the “yes, we have unplugged everything, yes it is a basic phone failing to get a dial tone etc” speech. The loose wire was once traced back at the green cabinet in the next street, and once at the exchange. It could I 

suppose be  a loose wire in the house master socket but that isn’t something you should be charged for. The dialup requires both  of the wire pair to be connected, the internet connection  (magically) works with one wire.  I say magically as my brother once explained telephone wiring to me. I am sure I understood it but it soon went! 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 81C said:

Late on parade today

I decided to visit pastures new first then here.

I've a Swiss Mountain Railway tour to book for September this year and I did wonder about the effect of some of the high altitude rides included in the tour one mountain station is 8300' , I suffered some mild form of Asthma in 2000 for a while after I had a mild heart attack bought on by working in extremely cold conditions has any one experienced these tours Her would not be best pleased if I peg it half way up the hillside. 

After yesterdays expensive trip out Her said lets look for a new rug more expense every time I get something for the house she sticks Her oar in Married life can be very cruel. :(

Today  I filled some windows in on a coach earlier and waiting for the filler to set up now I have got going I'm back to the Indian Hill Rly landscape and bits of polystyrene, life can be fun.

Better get on and move my butt off this seat before I end up with ear-ache H.Endpecked :biggrin_mini2:

Bob I did the Jungfrau rail trip and had a walk/slither about on the glacier with no problems and that was back in my 'professional smoker' days although I did start from Grindelwald so a bit of altitude beforehand.

I suffered from occasional asthma for a while after my lung collapse episode but it cleared up after a few years and I chucked the inhaler in the bin.  I think the highest I've been since then, apart from in an aircraft,  is only about 3,000ft asl in the Blue Mountains in Aus and no problems nor any troubles breathing when we were in well below zero temperatures when up above the Arctic Circle in Norway although that was all at or near sea level but it included some time walking around without a jacket (which I wouldn't really advise to be honest).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I am sure the engineer will fix it. The “my internet works but my phone doesn’t” was something we used to get, not often, but often enough to do the “yes, we have unplugged everything, yes it is a basic phone failing to get a dial tone etc” speech. The loose wire was once traced back at the green cabinet in the next street, and once at the exchange. It could I 

suppose be  a loose wire in the house master socket but that isn’t something you should be charged for. The dialup requires both  of the wire pair to be connected, the internet connection  (magically) works with one wire.  I say magically as my brother once explained telephone wiring to me. I am sure I understood it but it soon went! 

And the fault might not even be in the house.  Some years back when we were living in Tilehurst we lost the 'phone but still had 'net access and friendly next door neighbour BT Engineer got out his laptop and did a line trace - which pinpointed the fault as lying under the road about 150 yards away.  BT had to use another pair in the cable between two junction boxes in order to get us back on the 'phone but the second time it happened they ran a new cable between the two junction boxes because there'd been so many faults on that length of cable they'd run out of spare pairs in it. 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

And the fault might not even be in the house.  Some years back when we were living in Tilehurst we lost the 'phone but still had 'net access and friendly next door neighbour BT Engineer got out his laptop and did a line trace - which pinpointed the fault as lying under the road about 150 yards away.  BT had to use another pair in the cable between two junction boxes in order to get us back on the 'phone but the second time it happened they ran a new cable between the two junction boxes because there'd been so many faults on that length of cable they'd run out of spare pairs in it. 

Now there's interesting - as the last post on this page was mine when I decided to post something else it simply took me back there.  But now a tip which might help you find your old threads IF you posted any pictures in them.

Go to your own page (i.e. click on your screen name) and when the menu opens click on 'My attachments' - that will reveal all the pictures you have posted to RMweb in about the past 10 years (well it goes back to 2009/10 for me), opposite each picture at the right hand end of the line is the name of the thread you posted that picture in and if you click on that thread name you will be taken to where in the thread that picture was posted which means you can then a save a link or whatever you do in your own favoured method.  So far I've done three of my pages of attachments and added 4 links on my Safari favourites, which means I've only got another 160 pages of photos to go through - at 25 pictures per page so only 4,000 images to work through :blink:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

Altitude - went up the Kliene Matterhorn, 3 cable car rides from Zermatt.  12,000 feet and a bit IIRC, you get out of the 'car and walk through a tunnel in the mountain, then have several flights of stairs to climb to the very top.  Half way up the stairs I was seeing stars!  Had to go very steadily, but the view was incredible, totally clear. It was...…COLD.

An old police boss is the only Manxman to have summited Everest, he explained that when working up to it they climb three days and each night return to that camp level, then move up to a higher camp, and do it again, three days up and down until they are a level where they can attack the big climb.  First time they had to turn back about 300m from the top (or die….) but three years later he did I.  You get 15 minutes a the top in the 'death zone', and you HAVE to start down.  His photos are incredible, plus the stories - he almost fell from a ladder across a crevasse, dangled by his foot, like a movie.  Chief Inspector Phil Drowley, I salute you.

• Like 19

The MOT tester last Thursday  advised me to change a rear tyre.  Actually, the advise was along the lines of "it's a failure, but I know you're a sensible fellow".  So dropped off the car this afternoon and carried on the 50 yards to Lidl.  Returned to Kwik-fit who basically threatened to dock my licence by 6 points unless they changed the front two as well.  (Jamie, BlackRat et al - I presume they can't do that).  Anyway, only one tyre was changed!

Started the Brexit shock up, I now have six Lidl loaves in the freezer, but didn't fancy their pre-cooked pasta.  That's a trip to Sainsbury's.

Still feeling carp, so an e-mail to advise I'll miss tomorrow's German class and it's off to bed.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, bbishop said:

The MOT tester last Thursday  advised me to change a rear tyre.  Actually, the advise was along the lines of "it's a failure, but I know you're a sensible fellow".  So dropped off the car this afternoon and carried on the 50 yards to Lidl.  Returned to Kwik-fit who basically threatened to dock my licence by 6 points unless they changed the front two as well.  (Jamie, BlackRat et al - I presume they can't do that).  Anyway, only one tyre was changed!

Started the Brexit shock up, I now have six Lidl loaves in the freezer, but didn't fancy their pre-cooked pasta.  That's a trip to Sainsbury's.

Still feeling carp, so an e-mail to advise I'll miss tomorrow's German class and it's off to bed.

Bill

I've never heard of testing stations being able to dish out fixed penalties but nothing would surprise me. It sounds like a desperate attempt to extract more money from your wallet.   We are also stocking up n case of Brexit. Plenty of change in the saucer by the back door for getting fresh baguettes from the machine 50 yards away.   

Anyway the site seems to be gradually coming back to life.   All the photos in my Green Ayre thread are now back in the right place and tonight when I logged on some threads that I posted in before the big change are back in my activity stream.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10

Jamie, wasn't the tester ( who is a gentleman because he could have failed me) but rather Kwik-fit making a fairly aggressive threat.  Should really find somewhere else, except they are convenient.

Definitely off to bed, Bill

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I hope I am not stating the obvious and if you have done this please ignore. You mention that the iPad won’t send emails. Does this mean it receives emails? My neighbour's iPad did this. She had changed her email  password but had only altered the receive password. The send password therefore didn’t work. When you set it up initially I think it sets both passwords to be the same. The chap at the Apple store couldn’t sort it and told her to just use an  iMail account instead of her long established virgin media email. 

Tony,

You are spot on; the symptoms were just as you describe and when I presented them to the chap in the computer shop it took him about two nanoseconds to diagnose exactly what you have and another ten seconds to put it right. Next time I have a problem I'll consult you first!

The real surprise was that the chap in the computer shop was obviously born in the 20th century yet still knew how to deal with the techy stuff.

Cheers

Dave  

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just about to have a small libation of Scottish falling down water before bed. This is to cheer me up after discovering that when I started some years ago to build the little self-propelled, four wheel, rail guided vehicle that I am currently trying to get finished I installed the front frame stretcher back to front. This means I have got to go back to square 1 with the running plate I spent most of the late afternoon and early evening making today. B**g**r!

Mr. Grumpy (formerly known as Dave)  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I see that all 'My Content' has now been migrated over from the old RMweb so I'll be picking up on some of those threads over the next few days. Thats it for now, muggatee awaits, be back later.

• Like 11

Can the (currently) blue header bar at the top of the page be 'locked' with the new format? It's a nuisance on a shared computer having to scroll right to the top of the page to sign out! (Yes, I have noticed the up arrow button bottom right!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2