The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings all, and hello to Jason Isaacs.

I ate'nt dead. I have been in abeyance, and not on the forum since before Christmas (through the pressures of 'real life', not for any nefarious reason!) - have I missed any major news? Births, deaths, marriages etc?

In any case, it's nice to be back!

Kind regards raised from hibernation and sent lumbering into the world
Tinkety-tonk, etc.
Gavin

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

I don't know what I done yesterday with SWMBO still a total mystery today perhaps she had said something I didn't hear.:rolleyes:

Yesterday we went out visiting first to eldest daughter to see the new landscaping in their front garden SiL had claimed back a good few feet from next door how over the years had encroached 

onto their land citing the previous owner didn't mind, the pompous twerp argued he was entitle to keep the land as him co's he had looked after it for such a long time, tough sh!t matey were the

words used, SiL surveyed the area first with info from the plans on the deeds he did try and show twerp the measurements but the lights were on nobody in stance was taken by him.

second visit was SWMBO's aunt she had moved back from the coast to be nearer to her family it's somewhere else SWMBO can buqqer off for a natter.:yahoo_mini:

Endeavour was hard going last night the storyline was disjointed and continuity poor to say the least, looking forward to watching "Baptiste" on i-player tonight, the first series "Missing" was excellent.

Today Her is out so I will be left in peace. :yahoo_mini:

Before I go does any-one know where I might get 5' W.B. locomotive bogie it doesn't matter what loco it's from as long as it's  20mm over axle centre's.    

enjoy your day B.Wildered  :biggrin_mini2:             

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Still coughing. Not chesty or otherwise congested. Perhaps the soup worked.

Someone is supposed to be measuring up for a new garage door this afternoon. Suppliers of such things don’t seem that keen for work.  

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

15 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

At that time you would have also had great difficulty buying an aubergine in Forest Gate, Ilford or any of the then-Indian eastern suburbs. 

You could of course obtain a brinjal almost anywhere ;)

It's similar here in Teignmouth, I can't find a fish frikadellen anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 8

Rain threatens here in sunny Teignmouth.

Spent most of yesterday investigating a curious link I found by chance in my genealogy. Whilst investigating that I got hooked by the London pub site which lead me laterally into more research on a different family.

Good to see you back Gavin, hope you had a good break.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

No matter what it was called it wasn’t possible to buy an aubergine in Southend when I first moved there. Eventually a shop opened selling such things but the woman who ran it was so miserable and unfriendly it was easier to shop in Ilford where Aditi lived then. 

• Like 12

Morning all,

Dry and bright here, but windy (as usual!).  Morning has been spent emptying a compost bin, the contents of which has mostly rotted down OK, but some hadn’t, and so were put back in the empty bin.  The good stuff will be dug into the veg patch in due course.  I might even try to empty a second bin (I have 4 compost bins in total!).

Some time also spent corresponding on Facebook with people who replied to a for sale item I posted yesterday for garden railway stock which is being sold by the MRC on behalf of the owner.  Hopefully the interest shown will turn into some sales. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I wasn't optimistic/hopeful at all.

I knew it was a 'how long's a piece of string' forecast as I'd mentioned a full file check would need to take place and that's normally a few hours. It came back at 5.45 this morning after crashing at 8.15 last night. Basically it was the server's operating system that fell over (without being under load). A disturbed night coming back and checking on progress after a flurry of comms during the evening.

Thanks Andy.  The 'full file check' bit did imply it was going to be a long job and a tough Sunday evening if you suffered from the fallover of someone else's software.  As ever the Farcebook page was helpful thanks.

The funeral went well, if such things ever can, with a very good turnout which meant standing room only in the chapel - so about 40 attendees.  Now here's the amusing bit so a little quiz for everyone - I was told that the catering etc aftewards would be held at I-ex, which I also heard pronounced as I-it.  The written directions said it would be at 'Eyot' - which I hadn't heard of before (well it's less than a mile from where we live so that's not surprising) but what totally confused me was the way it was pronounced and if it had been pronounced the way I pronounce it (i.e. 'ait') I would have immediately know where it was because one of those is directly opposite it in the river.  So how does everyone else pronounce it?

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Thanks Andy.  The 'full file check' bit did imply it was going to be a long job and a tough Sunday evening if you suffered from the fallover of someone else's software.  As ever the Farcebook page was helpful thanks.

The funeral went well, if such things ever can, with a very good turnout which meant standing room only in the chapel - so about 40 attendees.  Now here's the amusing bit so a little quiz for everyone - I was told that the catering etc aftewards would be held at I-ex, which I also heard pronounced as I-it.  The written directions said it would be at 'Eyot' - which I hadn't heard of before (well it's less than a mile from where we live so that's not surprising) but what totally confused me was the way it was pronounced and if it had been pronounced the way I pronounce it (i.e. 'ait') I would have immediately know where it was because one of those is directly opposite it in the river.  So how does everyone else pronounce it?

I'd probably pronounce it like you did. But some places can get weird pronouncenations. Take Bedworth, pronounced Bed'uth locally. Or my home town, Erith, some pronounce it Er-ith, others Ear-if.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Eyot.' So how does everyone else pronounce it?

I'd say eye - ott

Edited by Dave Hunt
Because the damned predicive text thingy changed Eyot to Egypt
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I would probably say e ot. 

However it is probably pronounced Cholmondely Smythe ffarqueson if it follows the usual English rules for such things. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

So I asked Aditi and she said an eyot  is a little island. Place names with “ey” are islands, the ot is some sort of diminutive. She said any local pronounciation may have changed the original old English. Sounded good, I don’t think she was making it up. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

Evening all, and as I'm taking Friday off this week there's only 3 days left this week! 

A big "well done" to Andrew C on the lost poundage. Really pleased for you. 

As an occasional visitor to West Brompton i can recommend the "North End Road" if you're after vendors of fruit & veg, fishmongers etc.  Both market stalls and shops. Probably what most of us think of what a High St. should look like. 

Meanwhile on the layout front I'm just finishing off my first downloadable kit. Worked out rather nicely. 

Warm thoughts to all in need of them.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1