Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Hippo,

I'm afraid that my avatar isn't a Welsh dragon, it's actually a wyvern (if you look closely you'll see that it hasn't got any legs) and was copied from the Midland house flag used on its ships; so I'll be sure to practice my 'not bovvered'  face before we meet.

TTFN

Dave

Dad had a wyvern.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Morning All,

Not a lot to report, as a quiet weekend was had.  The weather was very nice - although too warm for the time of year.

Did anyone else get e-mails from RMweb overnight that "Your registration is complete"?  I am just wondering if this is a glitch in the new software!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

Bore da.

As Cardiff city centre is no longer "under seige" and the detritus left by 130'000+ event goers cleared away, I may venture out and stock up on some paints.

For those who still believe the rugby internationals and the Six Nations matches in particular, attract a sporting, more gentlemanly type, you need to be subjected to an international day in Cardiff.

The stadium only hold 74,000 but an estimated 50% more "event goers" descend upon the city, and spend the two hours that rugby supporters are inside the ground watching the game inside local bars "necking the amber nectar."

By the late evening the city centre can almost become a"no go" area for civilized folk.

This battle zone is worse when England are in town, as even more Welsh knuckle dragging types are drawn to the bright lights..........and the effects of alcohol fuel their anti-English sentiments.

None of these issues can normally be placed at the door of the visiting England supporters, most of whom, sensibly tend to arrive in town, watch the match, and head home again.

On such days Cardiff sees two distinctive types (1) rugby supporters, and (2) event goers, the latter being those who stretch police, ambulance, railway resources and staff to breaking point

There are even statistics to suggest incidents of domestic violence increase when the Welsh rugby team play.

As for the all this Grand Slam talk I've no doubt Ireland will have a view on this.

The view from my soapbox is astounding.

Best wishes to all

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A 3 piece sleep of about seven hours so pretty good really.

Proper crunchy it is outside this morning, Ben did't want to spend too much time outside i the cold. during which I had the landrover warming up. unfortunately that doesn't  include the cab.. I'm very chilled right now..

The worst ache and pain remaining is still my neck although there are bruises to my left side..

Driving to work was in colour, sufficient light to see green and frost. The Sun officially arose a couple of minutes ago at 06:51

Today the New Deputy boss should arrive, I doubt I'll see much of him as he will have all the induction and paper pushing to do today.

With me being away most of this week I've scheduled only minor tasks, I may well call forward a couple of tasks due next month as that looks very crowded.

Norwich won the Oscars, well Olivia Colman did and she's from Norwich

And I award the prize to the Green Book. http://www.thegreenbook.org.uk/   

which has been around a lot longer and is more useful than the film.

Time to... go seek those minor tasks...

• Like 14

Morning all

Chilly start this morning after a very bright and spring like day yesterday, but at least it is sunny.

All planned tasks were successfully accomplished yesterday, so off to work shortly to see what Monday brings.

Have a good day all

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A fresh start but the sun has made an appearance and the sky is blue so it should be a nice day.

First task today is to visit Nicki's for a birthday breakfast as Abbie is 20 today. Doesn't seem all that long ago that I was cuddling her in my arms a few hours after she was born.

Tonight we are all going out for a meal.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a sunny Surrey.

A great weekend was had in Devon. I never realised just how many homes are in Iflracombe but the town centre has lost most of the well known retailers. Still quite a few pubs and bars but with the Wetherspoons many were quiet for a Friday night, Wetherspoons being very busy but good service in that one. The guest house we stayed in was superb.

Saturday we were walking on the beach in Bude and it felt like a summers day. The first time in Bude since I was about 9 or 10. We spotted where the station used to be and also saw the remains of the old narrow gauge track that ran from the canal lock, down onto the beach. Saturday night we stayed at my brothers place not far from Crediton. Yesterday we departed early in the mist so that we could get past Stonehenge before the traffic grinds to a crawl and home just after mid day so some gardening done.

This morning is working on freight cars for this weekends Freemo South meet.  AndrewC - havent forgotten about the Loconet panels.

Hopefully more gardening this afternoon before beer o'clock strikes when my other half who's working from home today can swithc off her work laptop.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Despite still being more lurgy-stricken yesterday than I thought I was early in the AM, I actually got a bit of workshop time in and got the first steps done in making a silicon rubber mould for the  Centricast white metal casting machine so that I can make some loco spring and other castings. Today is starting more promisingly as my inner workings, whilst not yet what you might call cheery, are a bit closer to the bright, sunny and spring-like outside world that greets the Salopian eye than of late and the light at the end of the tunnel probably isn't the 7.45 down coming the other way.

First event of the day is that Jill has a hospital appointment for an ENT related issue then with luck some more workshop time will follow and the mould making will progress along with the job I dread more than anything to do with modelmaking - painting. I have a DeVilbiss airbrush that my parents bought for me years ago but despite long practice I still can't guarantee to get a good finish with it first go and it is far from unknown fora model to spend the night in a bucket of Nitromors following one of my efforts.  Ah, well, we shall see.

I'm also aiming to do a bit more Templot wrestling some time today and trying to apply some of Martin's guidance, although the Hippo is fixing up a teaching session for me with someone who knows what he is doing. The downside to that, as will now be common knowledge via this thread, is that my allegiance to a certain international rugby team who play in white shirts will cost me considerably. Anyone who attends model railway shows wearing a Wales shirt is not likely to let a chance like that pass by.

Mention of Templot brings another thought to mind - anyone know how to wire a 3-way for DC?

Have a good day everyone and have a thought for the afflicted.

Keep smiling.

Dave 

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br2975 said:

Bore da.

As Cardiff city centre is no longer "under seige" and the detritus left by 130'000+ event goers cleared away, I may venture out and stock up on some paints.

For those who still believe the rugby internationals and the Six Nations matches in particular, attract a sporting, more gentlemanly type, you need to be subjected to an international day in Cardiff.

The stadium only hold 74,000 but an estimated 50% more "event goers" descend upon the city, and spend the two hours that rugby supporters are inside the ground watching the game inside local bars "necking the amber nectar."

By the late evening the city centre can almost become a"no go" area for civilized folk.

This battle zone is worse when England are in town, as even more Welsh knuckle dragging types are drawn to the bright lights..........and the effects of alcohol fuel their anti-English sentiments.

None of these issues can normally be placed at the door of the visiting England supporters, most of whom, sensibly tend to arrive in town, watch the match, and head home again.

On such days Cardiff sees two distinctive types (1) rugby supporters, and (2) event goers, the latter being those who stretch police, ambulance, railway resources and staff to breaking point

There are even statistics to suggest incidents of domestic violence increase when the Welsh rugby team play.

As for the all this Grand Slam talk I've no doubt Ireland will have a view on this.

The view from my soapbox is astounding.

Best wishes to all

We avoid staying in Cardiff on a Saturday night even when there is no matches on as its just gets way too unpleasant. I remember staying there one weekday evening two xmas's ago and a group came into thew Cambrian Tap early evening loudly saying they wanted to throw the tables through the window but the bar man refused to serve them threw them out the open door. The Travelodge in St Marys Street (used it just once some years ago) is the only hotel I have been in the UK that has bank type security screens in reception and when we got into the lift lobby the end wall was completely kicked in.

During the day at weekends the pubs that we tend to use are fine when no matches are on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a sunny Charente.   We set off to the market as usual yesterday morning and some neighbours waved to us and invited us for a coffee. So on the way back we called in and had a very nice coffee along with a smidgeon of walnut liqueur made from wine, eau de vie and walnuts, a sort of local equivalent to Sloe Gin.   Very nice indeed.   However it was after 12 before we got back home.   The afternoon was spent bench building then a very nice meal was provided, magret de canard. with hassleback potatoes and veg followed by the remains of the plum crumble from Saturday night.  An evening of good TV followed. Today there will be some more carpentry this morning then off to Ruffec to book our return rail tickets for when we get back from our trip in May. As this will be done at the station booking office I may even linger on the platform to watch some passing trains, it would be rude not to.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun sun is shining once again, but there is evidence of early morning mist still about, particularly on the school playing field that we can see from our kitchen windows. Sheila isn’t at her Zumba class this morning as she has a doctors appointment just before 9:00, so I’m acting as chauffeur, but she is walking back, so once I’ve dropped her off I’ll head straight back and disappear to the workshop for the morning. This afternoon I’ll be making cakes for Wednesday evening’s tea. 

Back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

a smidgeon of walnut liqueur made from wine, eau de vie and walnuts, a sort of local equivalent to Slow Gin.   

Does that mean it takes a long time for you to get p***ed on it Jamie?

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have a DeVilbiss airbrush that my parents bought for me years ago but despite long practice I still can't guarantee to get a good finish with it first go and it is far from unknown fora model to spend the night in a bucket of Nitromors following one of my efforts.  Ah, well, we shall see.

Dave 

I’ve used DeVilbiss air brushes for years (I have 3 different models) and had very good results, but you do need to ensure that the paint is the correct viscosity and also lump free! A cheap tea strainer with a piece of fine cloth can be a good way of straining the paint if there are lumps in it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, roundhouse said:

We avoid staying in Cardiff on a Saturday night even when there is no matches on as its just gets way too unpleasant. I remember staying there one weekday evening two xmas's ago and a group came into thew Cambrian Tap early evening loudly saying they wanted to throw the tables through the window but the bar man refused to serve them threw them out the open door. The Travelodge in St Marys Street (used it just once some years ago) is the only hotel I have been in the UK that has bank type security screens in reception and when we got into the lift lobby the end wall was completely kicked in.

During the day at weekends the pubs that we tend to use are fine when no matches are on.

Cardiff, along with places like Dublin, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and Newquay has become  a magnet for "stag and hen dos" when there are no major events taking place here.

The "Pride" - "Calennig" - "Winter Wonderland" - "Party in the park" events all now come with their own associated "issues".

I recently discussed the issues surrounding "Pride" with another group member, where the issues are not caused by the LGBT community, but those who see the sun is shining so " let's catch the train into Cardiff for a day on the p*ss."

Amazingly, the one-time deterrent to visiting Cardiff, the local football supporters,oncenotorious, have cleaned up their act beyond recognition.

as for this weekend's rugby, such is the atmosphere and impact upon the emergency services, I am reliably informed that the local police were unable to fill eighteen Constables and one Sergeants position policing the Wales v England game, even by offering volunteers overtime !

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I’ve used DeVilbiss air brushes for years (I have 3 different models) and had very good results, but you do need to ensure that the paint is the correct viscosity and also lump free! A cheap tea strainer with a piece of fine cloth can be a good way of straining the paint if there are lumps in it. 

That's my real problem - getting the viscosity right. I sometimes end up either with runs or 'orange peel' despite having used the thing for years. Maybe it's because I don't use it that often to be able to judge the mix properly every time (or maybe I'm just a numpty). Thanks for the tea strainer tip though; the paint I'll be using is quite old so the lump issue may need attention.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl* from Estuary-Land. Quite a bit of frost last night but its now gone and now there's wall to wall sunshine. Next door has apparently finished the repairs and the new tenants have moved in. They have two rather large vans that are too long for the driveway so they parked them in the street, across my driveway and the disabled bay of the neighbour on the other side. They moved them when I threatened to tell their landlord, I don't know (or care) where the vans went but they're gone. *We seem to be slipping lately, I'm just as guilty but a little reminder that the awl will be back eventually.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I don't now about Newcastle "has become" it was like that when I lived up there 35 years ago..

Norwich has had the same problem on Prince of Wales Road, though the problem has reduced a bit simply because some of the night clubs closed.. But Norwich just has one street of problems which it's easy to avoid unless you have to walk into town from Norwich (Thorpe) Station on a Friday or Saturday night when the S.O.S. bus is parked up there..

Luckily Carrow Road football ground although nearby  does not add to the problem, and Norwich is one of the most family oriented clubs anyway...

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Mention of Templot brings another thought to mind - anyone know how to wire a 3-way for DC?

There is a wiring diagram in Iain Rice's Finescale track book.

I have a copy.

You are welcome to borrow it next time we meet up.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The sun is shining (except on part of the lawn which is still befrosted) so it looks like a bright and pleasant day ahead.  Sounds like Cardiff, like so many places, has gone a long way downhill since I left (45 years ago)  although in any case my watering hole was 'The Custom House' at the top of Bute St and that was nice safe place anyway once the regulars knew you weren't a plain close member of the constabulary or one of their informants as it was mainly frequented by ex-cons (and no doubt some current villains), the regular barman - a very nice bloke I thought - had spent some time in a nearby establishment adjacent to Queen St station following his conviction for GBH; a definitely a 'salt of the earth' type pub.

As the lad regularly visit Norwich for football it's good to here it is not frequented by hooligans - he and his mates generally adjourn to London for post match drinks.

Right back to wonderland, aka RMweb for some amusement,  have a good day one and all.

• Like 15

Sunny Teignmouth is bathed in the warm sun which has yet to fall on our place. Another 30 mins or so.

Bought the missus some daffs on Thursday.  Nice bunches of buds, by Friday they had started to open. Saturday morning I sat in the room and thought I needed to change my clothes or my missus needed to change because of some incontinence problem. The smell was with me most of the day. Late afternoon I smelt the daffs and established where the stale urine type smell was emanating from.  By then the missus had taken offence and left home.

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BSW01 said:

One of the local military modellers came to TRMG some years ago and gave an airbrush demo.

His recommendation as far as viscocity goes, was it should have the same consistency as milk.

The results were incredible.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

One of the local military modellers came to TRMG some years ago and gave an airbrush demo.

His recommendation as far as viscocity goes, was it should have the same consistency as milk.

The results were incredible.

Full Fat or Skimmed?

• Like 3
  • Funny 9