The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a phone call from my friend earlier this evening. Daughter # 2 had a chest infection so he took her to the doctor who prescribed an antibiotic. It turns out that she is allergic to that antibiotic and had a severe reaction. She is now in hospital but should be home for the weekend. The shelving unit is looking a lot tidier but theres still not a lot of space created.

I've taken Back Track since issue number 1, about 35 years ago IIRC. I have every issue bar one that was loaned out and never returned. Some of the photographs in current editions now post date the early editions.

I have all the Modeller Back Tracks it only lasted about 2 years, full pedant scriptures, it was just like reading a comic barring that there was some excellent features.

Tony we now stream our TV viewing off the modem we only watch the odd program's on the ariel the cable went months ago.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I never got to the workshop this morning. Once I’d finished making the cake and had got it in the oven, I remembered that I needed to make some cupcakes for Wednesday nights tea, so I made a dozen. Then I realised that we didn’t have any carrots for tonight’s tea. So I took a walk to the local grocers to get some. By this time it was just after midday. Just after I’d got back the heavens opened and we had a very heavy shower, so I decided to make a start on removing the distemper from the walls in the cellar. It’s hard work but it will all have to come off before I can apply the waterproofing solution.  So for the time being, I’m going to work in the cellar during the week and in the workshop at weekends. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

44 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Just back from the other side of the Continental Divide. We were at Big Sky in Montana (just up the road far from Jellystone). The temperatures were brutal and really quite dangerous. It was so cold last night, down to -39 degrees in Boseman, that my truck would not start. The diesel fuel had started to freeze. (-39F is about the same as - 39C)

Now back in balmy Idaho where it's currently -4C.

So how did you get the truck to start, then?

There was an occasion in a northern BC town when the temperature got down to minus 46C, and all the municipal vehicles, including all the snow-clearing equipment, would not start. They had been converted to propane, which condenses at minus 42C.

Edited by pH
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

Morning All,

It is just starting to get light in this part of the world.

It is dry and blustery at the moment.  Showers are forecast for later.

Time for a coffee!  Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Chris glad you enjoyed your trip. We may have been at Heathrow at the same time ..but sounds like you got back earlier than us.

I am also trying to sort out various payments but hey ho that can be done later today.

Where are you off to next?

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Its been raining, well it’s certainly wet out there, but I don’t think it’s raining at the moment and the sun is trying very hard to reveal itself. I’ll shortly be doing the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix and on the way I’ll drop Sheila off at the hairdressers. Once I’ve put away all the shopping I’ll carry on in the cellar. I’m hoping to get the area under the stairs stripped of distemper by the end of the month, one lives in hope!

Welcome back Chris and Baz. 

Back later

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I have been doctored  and instructed to go for an hba1c test.  Just a normal day in the life of a railway modeller trainset operator. :rolleyes:

In the 'old' days we just measured the blood glucose and I well remember a gentleman who always came to the clinic with a level of '20+'.

HbA1C made a tremendous difference to the treatment of diabetics because it effectively averaged the glucose levels over a period of 6 weeks and evened out the 'ups and downs' and therefore the amount of insulin prescribed.

In the case above the gentleman was on relatively high levels of insulin.  It turned out that on clinic days he could not get home in time for his next meal so could go hypoglycaemic.  To stop this he had a 'high' glucose meal before coming and hence we measured a level of 20+.  Once HbA1C was instituted this came to light and he was put on a much better insulin regime.  One of the positive side effects of this was that he did not have to come to the clinic so often and of course his actual health improved.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 14

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

No 1 son and partner are in Boston (Mass) and finding out what a somewhat colder winter is like.   They are staying with friends and had to help shovel 16" of snow to get out to do the shopping.   At least they aren't in the other parts of the US.  I see reports that the Roseville Rotaries have been out on Donner pass for the 2nd time in 3 years.   It's normally one year in 10.  They only get called out when there is more than 4' of wet snow in a day.

Jamie

....and just yesterday, I saw a post on TrainOrders.com, saying that in Texas the temperature was 80°F+ ! It is only when you see posts that tell you that the Twin Cities is minus something silly, that you start to realise how BIG the USA really is.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

In the 'old' days we just measured the blood glucose and I well remember a gentleman who always came to the clinic with a level of '20+'.

HbA1C made a tremendous difference to the treatment of diabetics because it effectively averaged the glucose levels over a period of 6 weeks and evened out the 'ups and downs' and therefore the amount of insulin prescribed.

In the case above the gentleman was on relatively high levels of insulin.  It turned out that on clinic days he could not get home in time for his next meal so could go hypoglycaemic.  To stop this he had a 'high' glucose meal before coming and hence we measured a level of 20+.  Once HbA1C was instituted this came to light and he was put on a much better insulin regime.  One of the positive side effects of this was that he did not have to come to the clinic so often and of course his actual health improved.

Up to a point. As my birthday is in January, so is my annual review. The HbA1C therefore always includes the Xmas period.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7