Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, AndyID said:

You might suggest he puts a big left pointing arrow on the dashboard while he's in the UK. It's quite easy to get confused, particularly when there isn't other traffic. (Don't ask me how I know.)

A number of years ago, me and two mates went to France, Switzerland and Germany on our motorbikes.

I was the designated leader as I had a tank bag with maps in the top pocket.

We all roared out after a fuel stop. It must have been a good half mile later when I realised that I was on the left (without encountering oncoming traffic) and they were following me.......

A simple rule/reminder I have when driving on the wrong right side is that in the UK, the right turn is the most dangerous, in the US and Europe, it's the left.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8
  • Agree 8

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Users of one of my anagrams may be interested to see a magazine I photographed in WHSmith, Oxford Services today.IMG_3493.png.8f5fb99040274fd8eb90fe5f6831cf3c.png

7 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Don't be Koi about it!

I don't know if this link will play for you - but the "redneck fishin' tournament" is worthy of "total carp".

Feel free to declare your local station as Oregon's OPB.  EDIT: Use 97201 as the zip code for Portland.

Then there's this story about how the University of Illinois is serving the "silverfin" aka invasive Asian carp, in student dining halls in another attempt to diminish the overpopulation.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Added zip code
  • Like 11

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Its very easy to forget which side of the road you should be on when driving in countries where the rule of the road is opposite to what you are used to. I have seen travelogues aimed at Americans visiting the UK to look right when crossing the road. Even professional drivers can get confused, I was on a coach visiting the WW1 battlefields in Belgium and the driver upon leaving one site proceeded to drive on the left until someone reminded him.

Not only Americans visiting the UK but British pedestrians visiting the US. IN 1931, Winston Churchill was nearly killed when as a pedestrian in New York he stepped in front of a motor car on 5th Avenue and was promptly struck by it.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world, but pretty cold.

On the subject of driving on opposite sides of the road.  Having driven for many years, on the left, and the right in both left hand drive and right hand drive cars, I switch fairly automatically.  However, the times when you really need to be careful is when you first start out in the morning in unfamiliar territory.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

A reasonable nights sleep of 7 hours though interupted by many wake up in minor pains and move to find a more comfortable position..

6 years of working in Saudi and coming back here 3 times a year did give me some problems, Not in Saudi though, only here. Living where there are a lot of single track roads, it's easy to leave one and come out onto a normal two way road on the wrong side. The worst I found was coming out of unmarked car parks, confused me quite a few times that did.

Dry and overcast on patrol this Morning And Ben is back in His normal self, though he found something different to chase this morning... a pair of mallard ducks..

The hedges are mostly in green now, but the trees have yet to join them. Also coming out was a car by the side of the road / half on the pavement.. it was naked... totally, all that was left was a few smoking remains and a police car with copper in it writing report. While a man was wandering round the outside of his car dressed, but with a tatty towel round him.

Must have been quiet exciting for the school children as it was almost outside their gates.. This morning is a coned off area and a burnt patch of tarmac with added melted plastic..

Well I completed my part of the new product system yesterday, but the users needed to run a test unit against the old correction files. so that will have to be installed this morning before the proper crosscheck can be run.

Once the Boss gets in after his 2 day skyve he'll have to have a look at the chinese system results and decided what next..

Time to ...check for company spam..

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Still sunny in this part of the world.

Another walk is scheduled for today..it should help to burn off the food I ate last night....

Positive thoughts to al ERs but especially to all who ail.

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.  It's still sunny here but cool as usual on a morning.   Off shortly to take Beth's front tyre to be changed.  There is a bulge in the sidewall and the tyre place advised changing it and ordered a new one.   After spending half an hour the other day I managed to access the Get U Home spare on the Clio and put that on. So today I'm taking the defective one in to have it changed.   This afternoon it's off to a local ladies meeting.   It's been thrown open to partners/hangers on etc today as the talk is about how to complete a French tax return.   It's an exciting life we lead here.

Great to see Debs post yesterday, just sad about the circumstances.

Jamie 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s another dull start here in the northwest. The boiler service engineer arrived about 10 minutes ago and has started work. I shall do some small odd jobs in the cellar until he’s finished then I can carry on paint distemper 

removal.

Back later

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BlackRat said:

Drive on the left or right?

I thought you had to do as instructed on your driving licence..........

'Tear along the dotted line' .............:jester:

That's difficult they're all a plastic credit card size now:D

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

A dull but calm day here in the northern Salopshire backwoods. Plans for today include finishing proof reading the latest LMS Locomotive Profile on the Royal Scots then down to the market. Tomorrow some friends from school days who spend the winter with their caravan in Portugal are stopping by for the night on their way back to Cumbria and since we are all from Merseyside there is really only one dish to make for dinner - scouse. Hence I'll manufacture a large pan of it this afternoon as it is always best when a day old and reheated served with pickled red cabbage and crusty bread. I also have it on good authoroty that I have volunteered to sort out a faulty cistern and leaking tap so the chances of any quality workshop time are remote.

Have a good day everyone and thoughts and prayers for those afflicted and bereaved. Chrisf - I empathise and sympathise wholeheartedly.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, lightengine said:

It wasn't an error by the flight crew.  The flight plan had been given to traffic controllers for Edinburgh.  

The error was that nobody thought to tell the paying public.

That still doesn’t account for the fact that ALL commercial flights start, or should start with boarding card checks by the cabin crew,  safety procedures demonstration and an announcement from the flight deck regarding destination and estimated timings. Tedious as these can be, they are legally required, and required for a reason. That’s what I find so difficult to understand about this. 

There doesn’t appear to be any suggestion that the flight crew didn’t follow their flight plan, but did no one expect to be given a different one? Or is there no coordination between the flight deck and cabin crew? 

I don’t dispute comments above, about the unquestioning reliance on automated systems among flight crew. Many younger engineers and surveyors I see, aren’t much different. Indeed I do it myself at times, not least because that’s often what is expected of me. But this appears, as far as can be understood from the reporting, to be a communication failure rather than pilot error. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There's the very publicized case of the Granada / Grenada confusion from a few years ago as well. In that case it was the booking agent and the passenger who were confused. The airline (which was BA) did their flight operations part correctly though the passenger would testify their bookings procedure was deeply flawed.

There’s a similar case in Norway, where there are ports called Kristiansand and Kristiansund, at opposite ends of the country. The locals know which one is which, but it was always worth checking that the Travel Coordinator did! 

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning but dry. An item on the 'fatberg' in Sidmouth on the BBC Breakfast show mentioned that in the fatberg was found a set of false teeth, I wonder if the owner wants them back.:jester: 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 17

14 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit dull and overcast this morning but dry. An item on the 'fatberg' in Sidmouth on the BBC Breakfast show mentioned that in the fatberg was found a set of false teeth, I wonder if the owner wants them back.:jester: 

Maybe the owner is in there also in a fatberg concretion.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Morning, well my MOT wasn't too bad, blood pressure is acceptable and after two goes they got blood out of me for PSA and other checks, still over weight at 17.5 stones, but cycling and hill walking will sort that, need to lose a stone. It's ironic that when I was fit and daft enough to play rugby, I would loved to have weighed that, have a good day all, off to Perth see ya later.

• Friendly/supportive 18