The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Do you want to post a copy of the Parable of the Inspector of the Bolts up there?

http://www.ltssac.org/articles/inspector.htm

Not quite as good as that bet when we were restoring the horse tram I needed quite a few large Whitworth coachbolts.   WE were given a lot but I ended up needing a couple of dozen 1/2"  by 12" Cup Square Hex thingy's.   A large well know supplier in Sheffield was contacted, sent an order with the specification 1/2" BSW thread on it.   A couple of weeks later they arrived but when we tried to use them, the nuts wouldn't tighten and in fact rattled nicely down the thread. On measuring them, they'd been manufactured from 12mm rod.   I phoned the company who immediately denied that they had made an error as they were an internationally known and quality assured manufacturer of fasteners.   The errant bolts were returned and they rather sheepishly admitted that they had made an error and that my spec had been correct.   2 weeks later a sack with 2 dozen more arrived and were spot on.   Apparently they had had to sub the job out to a small one man band somewhere in Sheffield.   The bonus for us is that they needed to be 24" long for the forging process so I told them to leave them at that length.  We then just cut them to length and threaded them at our convenience.

Jamie

• Like 19

What would be the best (simple) way to join 2 boards together and make track joining easy for a gran and her 9 year old grandson?

Its a basic roundy roundy with only 2 track connections. It has to be separated to store.

Co incidentally my cousin who is the gran, takes her grandson to the model railway shows local to Bletchley.  She says the guys behind the stalls and displays are always very helpful. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

If things run to course there will be lots of food followed by more  food interspersed with food and copious amounts of various falling down liquids. This may cause my late arrival here tomorrow,

Have a good one, fairly certain I will.

Bob.

You be careful Mr. BOB or you could ended with the label a Gluttonous P!sshead :jester::jester::jester:

The sofa's have been delivered by a couple of young lads not knowing what to do, between us we got the things through the front door and into the lounge I had a play with the recliners 

which Her won't touch as she would end up folded in half with her leg round her neck.

I will be cooking a pork carrot and ginger Stir Fry tonight, the girls will be attending tomorrow for the grand opening Chez Bobs Al Fresco dinner room for all things grilled the BBQ took

hours to clean it's still not perfect but the flames will kill off any germs I was tempted to do bacon for the sandwiches today but the bacon is solid as a rock having just been recovered from

the freezer I'll have to make do with a ham & cheese salad wrap.

It's the Grand Prix this week end I can't say I missed not watching the last one but BAH-rain as the idiot commentator Edwards calls it might be a good one according to the practice sessions

the jury is out on that one and I might sneak a hour or so cleaning the track on the large layout and give some of these Christmas presents an airing (running in session)

Enjoy your day must dash :superman: Ray Blanc :bye_mini:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 10
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Awl together now....that's very brave of you!  But I don't mind taking one for the team.  

Dowels to align. And a tension catch on each side? Failing that. 2 bolts through the frame? 

All three - bolts help to keep the tension and minute adjustments.

This one came up within seconds

Edited by PeterBB
Great increase in RMweb speed response to the post!
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Just got out of bed, I must have needed the sleep! As a consequence, not a lot will be done today, we have Vickie, Ian and the kids dropping by just after lunch, so no point in doing any sort of DIY. So my plan is to measure up in the large cellar room for lights, sockets and plasterboard. I also hope to do a cutting plan for the plasterboard too. 

Back later

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AndyB said:

Awl together now....that's very brave of you!  But I don't mind taking one for the team.  

Dowels to align. And a tension catch on each side? Failing that. 2 bolts through the frame? 

As above, I use 10mm bolts in 12mm holes to join with the dowels doing the alignment.   However make sure you put either some PCB strip under the rail ends, or I use solid brass 1 " no 8 wood screws under where the rail ends go.   Then lay the track over the joint, solder the rail to the screws and then and ONLY then cut the rail.   It might well help if the boards were hinged and I would be happy to send you some lovely flat ladder hinges that I used on Long Preston. They get bolted onto the sides of the boards and make them easy to erect,   You can even fit some castors to the board ends for ease of transport/storage.

PM me if you want some more info, I ma aware of the Awl.

Jamie

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Bricklayng underway but enjoying a break from laying a couple of courses at low level to straighten my back and have some hot dogs.  Visit to Tesco for supplies found the car park jammed solid but the shop not too busy - yes, it's footie and jhockey day at the sports ground next door.

The Good Doctor is at a Swimathon at the Olympic Pool or whatever it is now called and the lad has gone to Middlesborough (honest) to watch a footie match and consume the local ale.  I'm off to do some pointing (I hope teh mix will still be good)

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly the editor needs clearing every time on this android tablet.  Of a message posted several days ago... 

Afternoon Awl, 

Now lying in some pain having built the door in 2 hours and then spending 3hours installing it.  The problem being If there was an angle they could use in building the garage they did. The top of one of the door pillars is 2inches further out than the bottom.  So the door hit the ground when it opened, various cut outs and padding out required.

Just had a cheese toastie, the only good use for some cheese I made the mistake of buying. Protein cheese just 3% fat instead of the 30% of normal cheddar.  Don't just don't,  it's awful tasteless rubber. It can just about be eaten in a toastie, provided you butter the toast first and give it a lift with something mild like English mustard... 

Last night,  when I left for the MRC,  three tractors were starting ploughing harrowing and planting. 

When I got back around 10pm they were parking up behind our garden, today they've been harrowing in all directions

And the planter tractor has just started.. 

Coffee has been drunk,  eyelid inspection beckons... 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndyB said:

I believe [*] these are very good......

Cheers,

Mick

[*] There's no "believe" about them. Incredibly easy to fit - and yes, I do have a vested interest.........................

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

been a busy bee...

Lawns..mowed (her indoors brought some petrol home for the mower..bugggrrrrittt!)

All locos (6) have sound fitted . The last one involved attacking metal with a saw to fit a speaker..

Off out later so I need to have a shower...

TTFN

Baz

• Like 19

4 hours ago, AndyB said:

Arghhhhh Andy, my cuz is almost 70 and probably has never seen a dowel.  This set up will be 2 boards laying on a table or the floor and being stood against the garage wall or slid under a bed.

Gaffa tape springs to mind:D

Thanks to all for the replies but all would be a bit technical for my cuz.  Imagine your dear old ageing maiden aunt and 2 bits of board of an unknown nature.  

Edited by lightengine
Additional intormation
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

7 hours ago, lightengine said:

What would be the best (simple) way to join 2 boards together and make track joining easy for a gran and her 9 year old grandson?

Its a basic roundy roundy with only 2 track connections. It has to be separated to store.

Co incidentally my cousin who is the gran, takes her grandson to the model railway shows local to Bletchley.  She says the guys behind the stalls and displays are always very helpful. 

Okay - #1 Silly question - are you building the boards or is somebody doing it for her? #2 Is the lad having small locos - and if a small-ish loco is being obtained - have you seen this -  

it will fit on a table - give him some experience, and store easily without anything needing to fold or join together - if it has a plug in controller life should be simple

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Also managed to free up the first layout board although I had to resort to cutting  track and power bus and using a mallet and chisel as after undoing the bolts that were holding it to the other boards it was stuck fast with glue from track ballasting.

And no blood was spilled?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 10