The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Chinese system is finally on it's cross checks, it's clanking it's relays behind me at the moment, I might get rid of it on Monday.

Our works toilets are to be rebuilt... as all cubicles.. so those who don't know what sex they are can hide..

Just had to fill in this years Objectives, with both me and my Boss being on the rundown to retirement it's more a conspiracy to get HR out of hair for another year.. (whats left of it we have).

Not being in a mains gas area, I suspect until the early 1960's the house had parafin lamps, whch would explain the comparitively large ceiling roses hiding where the hooks were.

In this area mains water wasn't until the early 1970's I believe..

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All 

I think I'm married to a Nutter.:crazy:

Her what are you doing today , Me cleaning the car as it's like a tip and cleaning the BBQ as some one wrapped it up for winter covered in grease and bits of sausage.

Her can I have the car, Me are you going into town no I'm going round the corner to visit a friend, Me take it by all means but it won't get washed till the end of May.

Her I'll leave the car here then, Me OK I can wash it then .

Her I thought you were washing the BBQ, Me I'm doing them both.

Her I'll take the car as I promised to take friend for lunch Me where are you going for lunch.

Her just over the back (200yds away) Me why don't you meet your friend there (she lives 200yds away):banghead::banghead::banghead:

Her can I have the car then, Me, F##k off . :ireful:

Is it idiots day today or did I miss something , enjoy your day  :superman:  Tota L Disarseter. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon.

Been a busy day so far. This morning I swapped a fence panel for one that has recently been treated. Some more weathering commission then off to a friend to help with his Swiss layout. Did platform edging for him. Hes got 4 weeks to get it completed for Rotarail.

Back home after getting another container of wood preservative and next fence panel now drying ready for swapping tomorrow morning.

Booked Caledonian sleeper - got last two solo berths but despite the payment confirmation arriving the e - tickets hadn't so went online then realised the berths are only valid with 1st class tickets so rang them and cancelled. Not at all clear that. back to original plans for our trip to Aberdeen / Inverness.

Layout mover still not ready to be collected form garage after it failed MOT on Wednesday on rear brakes. Fingers crossed it will be by close of business tonight.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

a mix of 5 amp and 15 amp round pin sockets.  It was a constant source of frustration when you had a 5 amp plug on something and only a 15 amp socket .

My parents' house was like that. I seem to remember there were adapters that had a 15A outlet on the front and a 5A outlet on the sloped top. There might have been another 5A outlet on the bottom too, but I can't remember.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AndyID said:

My parents' house was like that. I seem to remember there were adapters that had a 15A outlet on the front and a 5A outlet on the sloped top. There might have been another 5A outlet on the bottom too, but I can't remember.

I also remember adaptors.   Fortunatley I never saw one that allowed you to plug a 15 amp appliance into a 5 amp socket.   Maybe that's why I'm still here. I've a fairly good idea that our first house in Chesterfield had only 5 an 15 amp sockets and the first 13 amp ones were when the house at Giggleswick was rewired which would be in about 62.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Some neighbours are coming round this evening. They have all been very kind to us especially over the last year. So Aditi thought we should invite everyone for drinks snacks etc.  Anyway instead of rushing across to the freezer for ice in little trays we got one of those little insulated ice buckets like they have in bars and cruise ship cabins. However not having been raised in the traditions of ice buckets I am confused. It has the insulated body and a lid. There are some little tongs. So far so good. However there is a perforated disc supplied with a little round knob. It is clearly meant to go inside but I can’t think what for. Any suggestions? There were no instructions!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Some neighbours are coming round this evening. They have all been very kind to us especially over the last year. So Aditi thought we should invite everyone for drinks snacks etc.  Anyway instead of rushing across to the freezer for ice in little trays we got one of those little insulated ice buckets like they have in bars and cruise ship cabins. However not having been raised in the traditions of ice buckets I am confused. It has the insulated body and a lid. There are some little tongs. So far so good. However there is a perforated disc supplied with a little round knob. It is clearly meant to go inside but I can’t think what for. Any suggestions? There were no instructions!

Ice buckets/boxes often have a lower insert with holes in. I think it's to allow a bit of water to settle as the ice melts and not have the ice floating in water. (Or at least that's my theory behind it - as they have them at wife's workplace in the bar ice buckets.)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Ice buckets/boxes often have a lower insert with holes in. I think it's to allow a bit of water to settle as the ice melts and not have the ice floating in water. (Or at least that's my theory behind it - as they have them at wife's workplace in the bar ice buckets.)

Cheers,

Mick

That was my guess too. However I just found another similar looking one on Amazon and it claims it is for keeping the ice in the bucket while pouring melt water away. I prefer your explanation. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I also remember adaptors.   Fortunatley I never saw one that allowed you to plug a 15 amp appliance into a 5 amp socket.   Maybe that's why I'm still here. I've a fairly good idea that our first house in Chesterfield had only 5 an 15 amp sockets and the first 13 amp ones were when the house at Giggleswick was rewired which would be in about 62.

Jamie

In 1991 we moved into an old farmhouse in Lincolnshire and I set about remodelling the kitchen, which according to some evidence I found had last been done in 1967, and reduced it to a shell before rebuilding. To my utter horror  discovered that the numpty who had done the wiring had taken the lead for the cooker off a light circuit, simply substituting bigger fuses by forcing them in, and the junction box that was hidden on top of one of the old units was actually charred inside. How the house was still standing I don't know.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

All this talk of 5 and 15 amp round pin plugs reminds me of my parents council house built just after the war had Dorman Smith 13 amp plugs like many Council Houses of the period. Never heard of them?

https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/plugs_other_13A/dorman_smith_13A_ring_main_plug.cs4

The live pin was a screw in fuse which apparently could unscrew and be left in the socket (which was unswitched). Never happened to us but a recipe for disaster.

That house had just six sockets in total - Castle Danemouth  has 25 double sockets and four single sockets by way of comparison

Dave

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

In 1991 we moved into an old farmhouse in Lincolnshire and I set about remodelling the kitchen, which according to some evidence I found had last been done in 1967, and reduced it to a shell before rebuilding. To my utter horror  discovered that the numpty who had done the wiring had taken the lead for the cooker off a light circuit, simply substituting bigger fuses by forcing them in, and the junction box that was hidden on top of one of the old units was actually charred inside. How the house was still standing I don't know.

Dave

Both houses I have bought needed a rewire immediately after purchase because of botched electrical work.

The first house bought in 1981 had modern sockets and looked superficially ok., that is until a light switch fell off the wall and revealed the lighting circuit was the original 1926 cables. And I then discovered a double socket in the kitchen was wired to the lighting fuse - talk about "pass me my brown trousers"!

I had the place rewired immediately.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

When I was at Uni the halls of residence had 2A round pin sockets in the rooms.   They were tiny  and by then the plugs were quite hard to come by.  The majority were sold on by those leaving that year.

Despite their size and rating it wasn't unknown for people to still try and wire kettles to them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9