The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,  Inner Temple Hare, 

Another hours sleep was obtained until Ben the Border COLLIE  decided is was patrol time.  A slight breeze but decidedly cool. I put my woolley hat down a week ago while working on the garage  but couldn't find it again till this morning., Hiding behind a pile of bricks.  In it was a pile of hail,  at about 04:00 this morning  we had a hail storm,  to survive 3 hours  the hail was definitely out in the cold. 

The hat is now hanging on the fire guard. 

One of the MRC club members lives alongside where the road work were in Stalham. He was gardening when he heard a commotion as a large 4x4 stopped at the road closed signs, they were loading the road scraper at the time.  The 4x4 Driver was wanting though shouting swearing and abusing the workers. 

What the driver hadn't  noticed was a policeman who had just driven up and was standing behind him... 

On being told to stop by the policeman he started arguing with the copper,  at that point he was threatened with arrest or go away.. He went away.. 

Once out of sight, the copper put his blue lights on on the car..... And drove through the road works.... 

• Like 12
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, TheQ said:

One of the MRC club members lives alongside where the road work were in Stalham. He was gardening when he heard a commotion as a large 4x4 stopped at the road closed signs, they were loading the road scraper at the time.  The 4x4 Driver was wanting though shouting swearing and abusing the workers. 

What the driver hadn't  noticed was a policeman who had just driven up and was standing behind him... 

On being told to stop by the policeman he started arguing with the copper,  at that point he was threatened with arrest or go away.. He went away.. 

Once out of sight, the copper put his blue lights on on the car..... And drove through the road works.... 

Would I be far wrong if  I suggested that the 4x4 driver was significantly younger than the guardian of the law in terms of life experience, you all know the bit about “age and experience defeating youthful exuberance every time”. How many of us have discretely closed up behind a set of blue lights on a shout as a way to sneak through some traffic obstruction? 

Anyway, good morning. It is cold and the tracked diggers are in full swing on the adjacent building site. I have given up greeting SWMBO each morning with the question “did the Earth move for you dear?”. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 4
  • Funny 11

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've been trying to source some good quality birch ply for b**seboards locally without success so it looks as though  I'll have to look further afield and get it delivered. Anyone got any bright ideas about a good source?

Dave

TooManySpams used Harlow Bros. There's a branch in Kidderminster and they have a cutting service which Spams said was good. https://www.harlowbros.co.uk/branch-finder/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Once again the sun is shining and the sky is blue, after a treat of breakfast in bed, I’m now sat in the kitchen with muggertea No2. Once that’s been finished I’m off to the workshop, I’m sure I’ll find something to do in there!

Enjoy whatever you’ve got planned for the day, back later

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Rugby watched last night and it was a great game with Leicester just managing to hold off Newcastle in the final minutes.

:cry:

I suspect TigerB will be pleased though.

I'm of to see the local team play this afternoon albeit in a much lower league. It is a very pleasant experience,  the small clubhouse being friendly and catering for my simple needs.  Unless there are the most outrageous and unexpected set of results this afternoon, my favoured team will win the league.  This would mean a promotion to the sixth tier of English rugby next season from which lofty heights I am sure they will soon return.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Overcast day in sunny Teignmouth today. Hoping for sun later.

I did a few jobs yesterday including fixing up a new exterior light with sensor and hacking down next doors ivy & brambles to stop it invading my garden.  Just need to tidy up the dining table that currently houses my genealogical research files etc.

Teignmouth council brought forward by a month the dog ban on the main town beach.  Dogs can only be walked for the summer on the eastern beach ie alongside the seawall.  Dog walkers are up in arms as there are nil sun bathing beach users at the moment.  However in a cunning twist, the sand has left the main beach and it is just stones and boulders.  The council are now debating what to do about these stones and boulders. 

Meanwhile the eastern beach is full of lovely recently deposited sand.  No dog walkers will turn an ankle on it.

Edited by lightengine
Errata
  • Like 9
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey this morning with the 'possibility' of a shower predicted. Nothing much planned for this weekend other than the swap meet at Rayleigh where I will no doubt dispose of a few more modelling tokens. Thats it for now, back later.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've been trying to source some good quality birch ply for b**seboards locally without success so it looks as though  I'll have to look further afield and get it delivered. Anyone got any bright ideas about a good source?

Dave

Try and find your nearest branch of Arnold Laver's Dave they are usually excellent.

Anyway good evening from here.  A good day has been had. Buckets of orawns as reccomended at lunchtime after a walk round and a cool beer or so.  Then in the afternoon Beth went to lie by the pool and I went exploring to Mossman and discovered the sugar mill and it's extensive 2' gauge railway system. Here's one of the little lovo shed.  The mill is all quiet asts not harvesting season.

P4130080.JPG.7515508325a4c446d70b5b08f91e197e.JPG

Here's the diesels from last night.

A good meal has been had tonight. Tomorrow is barrier reef day.

Jamie

P4120059.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Try and find your nearest branch of Arnold Laver's Dave they are usually excellent.

Anyway good evening from here.  A good day has been had. Buckets of orawns as reccomended at lunchtime after a walk round and a cool beer or so.  Then in the afternoon Beth went to lie by the pool and I went exploring to Mossman and discovered the sugar mill and it's extensive 2' gauge railway system. Here's one of the little lovo shed.  The mill is all quiet asts not harvesting season.

P4130080.JPG.7515508325a4c446d70b5b08f91e197e.JPG

Jamie

P4120059.JPG

Hope the prawns filled a hole. Enjoy the reef too!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Don't spare the sunscreen!  Melbourne Cup Day  2003  I watched a boatload of Brits get off  either the reef or Magnetic Island tour boat at Townsville, - they'd obviously had a day of drinking on the boat and the suns power  had gone unnoticed.

Jeez they were cooked and would have had a painful couple of weeks ahead.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Good morning ERs from a bright and sunny spring morning in North Hippoland. Setting off for Derby and the Midland Railway Society AGM and dinner soon once communion with Mug O'Coffee is over. Crimson Rambler of RMW has been staying the night with us accompanied by Mrs. Rambler and together with SWMBO we are all going together. The bad news is that whilst the menfolk are at the meeting the females of the species will be loose in Derby without credit card locks so the modelling token stocks may well take a bashing. 

Dave

Locla to me are Telford Timber Supplies in Hadley, or AK Williams and Sons in Madeley.

I've used both of them and have had no complaints.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

Today I've mostly been paining the garden fence. 9 panels down, another 24 to go. Plus the trellis on top. Deep joy. Garage doors after that and then more internal decorating to follow. 

<RANT ON>

So, driving past the hospital the other day one of the workers there decided that crossing the road without looking was a good idea. Well, she was on the phone, so she'd set her own priorities. It seemed that the sound of me doing an emergency stop and sounding the car horn a few feet away from her did interrupt phone call. That and the fact that she jumped about 3 feet in the air. She actually turned round to start giving me a mouthful but thought better of it. I was rather disappointed as I was going to enquire if she thought they didn't have enough work to do already in A&E without her help. :biggrin_mini: 

<RANT OFF> 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Back after an enforced absence, and sorry to have been missing the fun here (fun???).

Hope all is well, can somebody PM me of there, s anyhing significant that I should know about - thanks.

Normal service should be resumed in the next day or so.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13

Chris......there are many things I can't do, and many things I do......badly.

Never stopped me having a go and yes people do occasionally laugh at me, but who cares?

Not I.

Go for it, your self confidence will soar.....once you realise that  no one else's opinion of you .....or what you do .....matter one grillometer.

Now.....

grab your partner by the nuts, swing them round and slap their guts, 

move to the left and then to the right,

and give em a kiss to start the nite.....

Enjoy it mate, you deserve it.

• Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

TooManySpams used Harlow Bros. There's a branch in Kidderminster and they have a cutting service which Spams said was good. https://www.harlowbros.co.uk/branch-finder/

4 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Locla to me are Telford Timber Supplies in Hadley, or AK Williams and Sons in Madeley.

I've used both of them and have had no complaints.

Thanks for the tips chaps, I should be able to get something organised from them.

Currently in a rather nice room in the Midland Hotel in Derby having finished the Midland Railway Society AGM and  lunch and am enjoying some down time before Master of Ceremonies duties at the dinner this evening. Met John DMJ briefly this afternoon as he was at the Swiss Railway meeting and AGM in another part of the hotel and during breaks also got to see the Austrian Railways do across the road. Quite a railway fest.

Tomorrow we'll be going up to Chesterfield after breakfast to visit No. 1 son before wending our way back to North Hippoland.

Ta-ta for now. Have a good evening/morning/whatever it is wherever you are everyone.

Dave

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Gr emlins attacked the layout today. Mysterious tracks movement, track expansionary odd bits of wire not working...yes really!

But we got to the end of the day intact.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Will be trying out the new smart meter monitor shortly, at the moment heating and lighting is costing me 2p an hour, but lets see what it reads when the central heating kicks in.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyB said:

<RANT ON>

So, driving past the hospital the other day one of the workers there decided that crossing the road without looking was a good idea. Well, she was on the phone, so she'd set her own priorities. It seemed that the sound of me doing an emergency stop and sounding the car horn a few feet away from her did interrupt phone call. That and the fact that she jumped about 3 feet in the air. She actually turned round to start giving me a mouthful but thought better of it. I was rather disappointed as I was going to enquire if she thought they didn't have enough work to do already in A&E without her help. :biggrin_mini: 

<RANT OFF> 

After approximately 54 years of driving and experiencing that type of thing on umpteen occasions I've found that bellowing "What's the matter, are you f##k##g tired of living you prat?" does have some effect, if only to make me feel better. :yes:  Oh, and "better" doesn't mind being felt! :no:

Tonight's meal went down very well and I'm now  on another glass of Malbec.

IMG_20190413_180021608.jpg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, 

Well I enjoyed the Norwich show,  wallet only slightly dented. As usual at the moment,  I was often studying layouts more for how they were exhibited rather than creativity. 

I was disappointed not one layout attempted to hide board joins,  I was looking for ideas on that.. A good range of large small and medium  size layouts.  One layout provided steps for children,   another was Armored with perspex .

A 4mm layout had a TV shop,  with scale size, black and white TVs in the windows.... Working.!!!!!!!... recognisable moving pictures..!!!!!!. ..

The retailers seem to be doing well,  the man running squires stand seemed to be run off his feet..

Several breaks were needed to rest my leg,  coffee and pink pills required.. (pills not at every break) 

What was frightening Was The ever increasing price of both new and second hand rolling stock. 

I delayed leaving slightly to avoid a downpour,  we had several during the day,  including heavy hail.. 

Then onto the museum of the broads. I walked in to find one of my crew for the three rivers guardship, running reception,  and the MC for the day was his wife, also she'll be on the guardship.  Several other people I knew from muddling,  sailing and SWMBOs weaving. 

This was a very good event and they've got one room set up to remember the Yarmouth and North Norfolk Railway . Several dioramas though nothing moving,  various objects, maps and other ephemera.

A surprising number of people were both sailors and railway muddlers.. Long chats on a variety of linked subjects. 

The weather held off for this which was good as the site is a collection of sheds,  with boat exhibits out side as well.  The only thing was in the 2 hours there the cold crept into my bones,  I'm now wrapped up in an all season sleeping bag with a hot water bottle.. 

Dinner,  eyelid inspection has been had,  a Highland Park will follow. 

Have good Evening Awl... 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Will be trying out the new smart meter monitor shortly, at the moment heating and lighting is costing me 2p an hour, but lets see what it reads when the central heating kicks in.

I have loaded the proverbial shotgun with buck-shot in response to part of PhilJ W's post. I am not aiming it at the writer but at the Ministry for silly walks smart meters.

I am one with a short energy fuse. I object to the government setting up a "ministry for smart meters". I object to the HUGELY misleading claims it makes in regard to saving you money. It remains yet another confidence trick.

1 - A "smart" meter only brings the consumption reading to a more obvious and visited location, you still have to look at it.

2 - Such a meter doesn't run any slower than a non-smart meter and so it does not reduce your energy consumption, the savings are to be made by the consumer acting more responsibly.

3 - The consumer is, through a levy agreed between The Regulator and the energy industry, paying a premium to the energy providers who then say they need to make MORE profit to cover the costs of these "smart" meters.

4 - The adverts routinely shown across the media are such that they would be challenged for making false claims if they were made by the energy companies themselves.

5 - If we have to pay subsidies for "green" energy, for "smart" meters and for carbon reduction, why are we importing even more of our power from mainland Europe through the French and Dutch inter-connectors (running at 6.4% of our present demand right now). We should remember of course that Germany has closed / is closing its nuclear station) and generates much of its energy from fossil fuels and that Germany will miss its target set by various conventions and under EU policy unless it takes the energy we currently rely upon to replace the power generated in German coal and lignite fuelled stations.
We are all being told to change to Hybrid and Electric vehicles and forego the use of the most efficient internal combustion engine widely in use today, the rail industry is supposed to be changing to mainly electric power yet we will close at least 5 nuclear stations before a new one comes into service and with nuclear presently supplying 19% of our demand. Shouldn't these subsidies that are forcibly levied upon we consumers find their way not into directors / executives and shareholders' pockets but into real renewable energy like tidal power - an abundance of potential exists around our 10K+ miles of coast after all!

That's it, both barrels discharged!

Grump, grump, grump. (Somehow I don't think I would ever get a shotgun certificate :rolleyes: )

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Tonight's meal went down very well and I'm now  on another glass of Malbec.

IMG_20190413_180021608.jpg

Well done that man! Looks far better than SWMBO's Cottage Pie we had tonight (thankfully she doesn't have access to RMWeb) and there's no sign of wallpaper or floorboards in yours.

:diablo_mini:

Time for another glass of Tempranillo methinks.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Somewhat late to teh party as my regular link kept getting a 502 message, eventually I had the bright idea of just bunging in a Google search for RMweb and here I am.

Nice sunny day earlier although a bit chilly but it suited my shopping adventure in Reading in search of a lighter but still capable. camera to lighten the luggage load.  Duly sourced at Jessops - very helpful staff btw - and all I need to do now is crack the instruction book, so far it's doing better than me because what it says keeps on disagreeing with what the camera is saying.  Didn't photography used to be simple?

Anyway we had our pre-Easter Easter Sunday dinner this evening - roast lamb of course.  Moved forward from tomorrow as the lad is off to a footie match somewhere a long way north of Watford so won't be home until quite late.  And the Good Doctor has received advice if her redundancy amounts from Tesco which she seems quite happy with.  However if locally is an example their bright idea of closing the fresh meat and fish counters on certain days of the week is going to cost them as here just about all the trained staff are leaving on redundancy so they'll not only have redundancy costs to pick up but also training costs (and probably increased wastage as well).   The GD has various future plans formulating so she's quite happy to have been given an incentive to change her career path.

• Like 18

Good evening all, not a bad day today, after the visit to the farmers market in Forfar where some rare breed pork and some "hairy coo" highland beef was procured for the next couple of weeks red meat intake, a light brunch was had followed by a visit to the local loch to see the Ospreys doing not much at all really. Dropped in on an old fishing chum for a blether and muggacoffee and to plan our photographic and angling trips for the next few months, then hit the Indian takeaway in Arbroath(not the one that "curried smokies") before finally heading home, the telly really is dire, so watched a recorded Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse fishing program. SWMBO no has some rubbish on so it'll be headphones and probably some Pink Floyd or possibly some steam engines on youtube, how to live on the wild side eh?

Scratch that..Skunk Anasie and the Prodigy(my sons old favourites) for a change

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4