The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Greetings from a late stayer upper! The rest of the Lurkers are away at present and I am having a night cap (the Ardmore - not as peaty as I would like but smooth)

i had had a poor night sleep last night as I woke up with my knee telling me it was in pain and that kept me awake til it was time to get up. 

Anyway worse things happen at sea. 

Best wishes to those who actually do have something to complain about!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Had a pleasant evening yesterday playing trains dealing with transport studies followed by a few  drinkypoos and a  chatfest that lasted until gone 2am (Baz - it was with Pete Kibble. Sound familiar? He sends greetings by the way).

Dave

Whisky by any chance??  hope he is keeping well!

Baz

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

As planned, I managed to get all the holes drilled in the floor beams. I’ve drilled 3 in each beam, 33 in total. I was initially only going to drill 2 in each, but I thought that I might as well add an extra one whilst I was at it, as I’d rather have an extra hole and not need it, than struggle with only 2 holes. Anyway, if I don’t need it, then it doesn’t really matter, because they won’t be seen once the new crisis in place. In fact everything went so well I was finished and packed up before dinner. I even had time to clear a space in the large room to store the plasterboard when it's delivered. However, it will be a bit of a struggle getting them in on my own, so I’ll give Charlie a ring and ask him if he’ll give me a lift, if he’s not working of course.

This afternoon we had Ava, Evie and Max round for tea. Last night I got some curry sauce out there from the freezer to thaw. So all I had to do was fry some chicken, before adding it to the sauce, there was nowt left by the time they’d all finished!

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Whisky by any chance??  hope he is keeping well!

Baz

How did you guess? We'll probably be at the GOG Doncaster show on June 1st if you are heading that way?

Dave

• Like 9

Night all having had a night of chill to various recordings including Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, Blue Öyster Cult, Justin Hayward, et alia.

Tomorrow, it could be Le Condor, Pyewackett and Clannad! Depends how the mood takes me!

Edited by JohnDMJ
to add a musical pun!
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

So it wasn’t you that wanted COYW then?!

Not I. He is in a state that's a bit further South. It's a bit silly because nobody there would have a clue what it meant.

On one occasion in California I was buzzed by a Lexus that had the plate "EBYGUM".

• Like 7
  • Funny 10

21 minutes ago, AndyID said:

On one occasion in California I was buzzed by a Lexus that had the plate "EBYGUM".

The only two Sheffield Wednesday supporters I know here met each other when one saw the other's vanity plate of 'OWLS'.

Edited by pH
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

Good morning one and all, with thanks to Rick for the kind thought about sleep.  The nocturnal coughing fit was considerate enough to wait until 5 am today.

Overnight we learn that Br*x*t day is now 31st October.  Not that I would stray into politics, you understand, but there must be a joke about trick or treat desperately trying to get out.  I will leave it to someone clever!  Yesterday afternoon I got all impulsive and went for a haircut.  It must have been before Christmas that I last did so.  The barber declined to shampoo what was left after he had finished gathering the harvest but at least my mop is now manageable, albeit at the cost of removing a handy little earner as a Worzel Gummidge lookalike.  Earlier in the week I walked straight in when I went for a blood test - not at the barbers, you understand, do keep up - which must be almost unprecedented.  What else did I do yesterday?  Oh yes, plotted the four 'Spoons in Exeter on a map, finding as I did so that none of them is all that close to the route of the Pride parade.  This, you see, is the value of planning ahead but possibly condemns me to breakfast at a motorway service area.  I also secured my accommodation in Aylesbury for the weekend of Scaleforum in September.   It is always a pleasure to talk to Tracy the lesser-spotted landlady, who I have met once despite staying at her esteemed establishment half a dozen times.

I did enjoy reminiscing about pirate radio the other day so many thanks to Robert for sowing the seed.  There is more of my murky past to be disclosed but not just yet!  I did some ironing yesterday and lo, there is more to be done today.  It will make a change from forward planning.  Perhaps I should leave more to chance?  As I write that I hear ringing in my ears the dulcet tones of Julian and Sandy: "Ooh, isn't he bold?!"   Oh dear.

JohnDMJ, we need to talk music.  Pyewackett?  This is culture!  A brainbox question for you: what is the alter ego of said band used on a single of "The Lambeth Walk"?  While you ponder that, best wishes to all.

Chris

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Overnight we learn that Br*x*t day is now 31st October.

One of my colleagues came into my office this morning and said "Ok - So now it's Halloween Brexit!"

It has become a subject of constant amusement!

• Like 9
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare,

A Better nights sleep last night of 6.5 hours in three pieces, probably because I took the maximum dose of little pink pills spread correctly over the day yesterday.

Coming in I saw a diversion sign just in time to divert off the route onto some pleasant, but slow back lanes. Single track lined with daffodills, primroses and fowering bushes overhanging the tarmac road with grass growing down the middle.

If I had taken the sign diversion route that would have taken me to the wrong side or todays road works...

Even with 3 reminders yesterday still no sign of the boss processing the chinese system. The man lumber with getting it back to China is not happy..

Pensions I suppose I'm lucky the year before I joined the RAF ther was no pension unless you did a full 22 years. Then they introduced AFPS75 which is the one I'm now drawing on, since then they have changed it twice, each time with less benifits. Then GEC and GECs pension always seemed to make more interest than the pay rises to the staff. Since then it's been taken over by Bae and I don't think it's done quite as well, they are noticable less forthcoming with the information in the annual leaflet than GEC were. I didn't transfer to their new scheme which I'm betting is even less benificial.

Then this companies is run By Scottish Widows, who appear to have a better reputation than most of the companies in that field.

The one thing I won't do is transfer pension schemes, having all your eggs in one basket is not my idea of security, neither do I intend to allow  someone get their fingers into the pot for transfering the monies.

I may have said this before, St Kilda in Australia is named after the Yacht St Kilda which was moored in the area for many years.  The yacht was name after the Island St Kilda. though no one knows where the name St Kilda comes from because the locals called it Hirta.

Time to go back to measuring our equivelent of the chinese system..

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Actually you're not taking a picture of a black hole because a black hole does not emit light. You're actually taking a picture of it's surroundings as they do emit light on their way to oblivion.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

I saw photographs of two black holes yesterday.  One is 500 million trillion km away, the other is in SW1.  Off to Hampshire later, so off site for a couple of days.  I can sense your relief.  Bill

PS:-  I got my Lord's dates last night; my first game is the Royal London final on 25 May.

Edited by bbishop
  • Like 6
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the skies are blue, but there is a wee bit of frost on the workshop roof. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is getting herself ready for her Zumba class. I will start to get my tools etc ready for the cable rerouting, which will be stared as soon as she has closed the front door. My plan is to have it all finished before she gets back, which is usually around 12:30, so no pressure then.

I will be working on 6 different circuits altogether, kitchen ring main, downstairs ring main, shower, immersion heater, central heating, downstairs and cellar lights. My plan is to split the downstairs and cellar lights into 2 separate circuits, luckily I have a spare way in the distribution board so it is achievable. During the rerouting process, I may have to drill another hole in a beam. This wasn’t done yesterday as there were cable, which I couldn’t move, directly behind where I need to drill the hole and I wasn’t going anywhere near them with a spinning drill bit! So I’ll disconnect, which will then allow me to move them to one side before drill said hole. 

Back later. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Following up on my earlier post, I should elaborate that the photos I shared earlier actually show erroneous aspects. Under normal circumstances, Stop should never display simultaneously with any Proceed aspect!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Morning, a bit of the "G" word in the greenhouse whilst waiting to perform taxi duties for SWMBO, then off out with my camera again, if the sun comes out I'm off hunting for Adders, if it stays dull I shall go looking for Peregrine Falcons instead. Have a nice dayyyyyy

• Like 15