Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rick, very sorry to hear about your friend.

Sunshine and blue sky here although it's still a bit fresh outside. Should be a nice day.

Still hobbling about but have dispensed with the walking stick as indoors I'm more likely to have a further mishap with it. :rolleyes:

Rugby watched but not quite as good a match as I'd hoped as both sides rested most of their 1st choice players in readiness for the big games ahead. Sarries won comfortably after a very slow start.

Today Nicki, Joe and Gemma are visiting for Sunday lunch with roast chicken on the menu for most of us and a veggie dish for Gem. 

My usual Sunday breakfast has been offered so I will bid  you farewell for now.

Have a good one,

H. Cassidy

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Part 2 is tomorrow with a visit to an indoor kart track with 33 on the grid in various races.

I know it will be competitive and I have a prediction of the winner coming from a choice of 4.

Since we are both ex ADI's , might I suggest forgetting MSM, not undertaking and definitely not sticking to the speed limit if you want to be in with a chance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Having a late and lazy start to Sunday - still in bed with muggercoffee and the iPad. Decadent

or what? ( the predictive text thingy tried changing that to decade Ent).

Sincere condolences to Rick on the loss of his pal.

Later on must get ready for tomorrow as SWMBO is taking me away for four days to an as yet undisclosed destination for a delayed birthday present, the grandchildren having been infesting visiting on the actual day. The downside came yesterday when she announced that my car could do with cleaning before using it tomorrow - I took the hint of course.

When we get back on Friday I have one night at home before going to Derby for the weekend of 11th/12th to help out with the small exhibition that the Midland Railway Society are putting on at the Midland Hotel next to Derby station starting on the 10th to mark the 175th anniversary of the establishment of the MR. Unfortunately it won't include models but if any ERs happen to be passing it would be great to meet and put faces to names.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Adding some information
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

Condolences to Rick I do hope sometime soon you have a run of good luck.

All this talk about us lot playing rugby do they allow bath chairs, Zimmer frames and wheel chairs on the pitch. :senile:

Having fell asleep yesterday afternoon I've noticed there are 2 Halls, I Castle and a small Prairie on the bench with

new brass name & number plates so I must have be conscious at some stage,  :unsure_mini: I suppose I can finish the pile of 

new brass plates off today on my Christmas toys on the todo shelf.

Baz I know they are disgusting but have you tried Fisherman's Friend lozenge's they work for me.:bad:

Her has decreed the hand carry bags for the holiday are ready to go by tonight the insulated beer mugs arrived here

yesterday so they can be packed and I'm getting that horrible feeling of dread about sitting in a tin tube for 9-11 hrs

I sure a few glasses of that drink called Dutch Courage (malt of course) will come in handy before I board.

Must get on so much todo today enjoy yours:superman:Summa Holladay:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Condolences Rick on the loss of your friend. I wasn't very sporty even when I was at school, the only sport I was any good at was cricket and even then I had difficulty in catching the ball (this turned out to be because of an eyesight defect that wasn't identified until 40 years later).  Not much else to report, be back later.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Just got out of bed, having first had breakfast there. Currently sat at the kitchen table with muggertea No2, when that’s finished I’ll head down to the workshop and potter about doing not a lot and thoroughly enjoying myself. 

Back later. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Condolences on the loss of your friend, Rick.

I'm sorry to hear that your good lady continues to have good and bad days.  I feel for her.

Look after yourself too, it's easy for these things to get on top of you without you realising.

• Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Commiserations to Rick who seems to be getting the worst of things right now and to other in trying circumstances. If I could share some of the care and love being heaped upon me, I would happily do so.

The endless celebration of my recent milestone birthday seemingly continues unabated (although my stamina is being sorely tried). Yesterday a second bash was attended at daughter's mansion where various friends and acquaintances plus offsprungs were waiting / subsequently arrived. Much falling down water was consumed by many. It appears that on Wednesday we depart to Gatport Airwick at the crack of sparrowfart to head to Hamburg and Miniatur-Wunderland. The last time I was in Hamburg was in the mid 70's, I was single and the Reeperbahn was in full swing. I wouldn't dare take SWMBO there today! This has all been quite a significant event and I am sure those responsible have enjoyed its organisation. Of course I am extremely grateful that they have done this for me but I would just as happily have settled for a small (although far less memorable) celebration held locally. I shall disappear now as I believe a further family luncheon is planned, I do fear for the fit of the finest Kingzance shirts and strides after all this.

Signed

Wun ungreatfull b'stard.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Sorry to hear about your friend Rick and I increasingly get the impression that age, or rather lack of, is no longer a determinant in when we shuffle off this mortal coil.  Hoping things can improve for your swmbo when the NHS take a serious look at things.

Today herself has been taken to two garden centres (yes, Root One was included but a non-dining visit) in search of plants and a couple of hanging basket liners.  At our second port of call two of the latter cost less than the only one left, and hence not purchased, at our first destination.  This outing had perforce to involve driving on roads populated by a few examples of the lesser spotted bank holiday motoringcockwomble' (only a couple fortunately) and far too numerous examples of the 'I enjoy being in everybody else's way on bank holidays cyclingcockwombles'  including a pair riding abreast on a main road.   Tomorrow we might visit the town's Mayfayre but that will be on foot and possibly even in company of our new councillor.

Said councillor has stated that he wishes to avoid charge of nepotism so therefore won't be doing anything about the collapsed pavement outside our front gate or the weeds in the gutter on our side of the road.

Have a good day everybody.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

The last time I was in Hamburg was in the mid 70's, I was single and the Reeperbahn was in full swing. I wouldn't dare take SWMBO there today!

I was going to write:

Why wouldn't she recognize it now?'

But thought better of it!

I'm currently shifting stuff around in the garage to 'maximize the storage cube'.

Those who follow my rambling will know that some years back, the PH dismantled a VW Golf Mk IV.  The last bit still in the garage is the engine, which has sat in a most inconvenient place that stopped me using the side access door.  (We never use it, but it is the principle of being able to use it should I want to.)  Having created a very nice storage pocket in the opposite corner of the garage, I pushed the engine (it was on a home made trolley) across the garage and started the fine maneuvering to slot it into the space.

All was going well until one of the castors and the corner of the trolley gave way and deposited the engine in an untidy heap on the floor!

I've got the blasted thing upright, but without a block and tackle (now at the PH's new abode) there is no way I am going to be able to lift it.

So I must now complete my re-org whilst  having to avoid this lump of scrap which will be a tad inconvenient to say the least.

I'm not rebuilding the trolley!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Fishermen's friends..I like them but just check the sugar content.....

HH, as a young, reckless 14 year old I made my debut for the village 3rd XV. We won! My payment was a pint of Carling Black label with lime...and, everytime I played I received the same payment. I scored a try and got two pints...and wobbled off home!

Umpiring was freezing! My colleague was not good. Games was good and a close one.

Now off to gargle with TCP.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl, 

By the time many of you were up,  I had laid 12 2ft square by 2inch thick slabs. Dug a two foot deep hole, placed a 4*4pole in it and attached the top of the pole to the side of the shed. The ramp area was started,  to be completed.   The above was completed by  11:15. SWBMO took over painting the floor this time with "wild honeysuckle" added to the canary yellow to make enough to cover the floor. It's still a fairly bright yellow floor,  this will however be covered by garden machinery.. 

After that it was off down to the sailing club, sadly the instructor was an hour and a half late. Then an hours instruction out in the cold. 

The pin adaptor that fits a conventional tow ball . 

The use of the crane itself, 

Instructions for signing out the equipment. 

The rules of who what when why.. 

Sadly after a trial sailing boat went out  it was decided that no sailing for visitors could be carried  out at the open day yesterday.  Just too much wind,  Trips out on the rescue boats around  our sailing course and up to the broad were available for those  who wanted them. 

Tomorrow I'll concrete the pole in,  also there I shall build the base of a seat by the garage out of breeze blocks. The first of the stuff to be moved into the shed will go in,  so I can get easier access to the new workbench in the garage. 

But first... Eyelid inspection... 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, lightengine said:

Some great vids on FB of the Big Boy rolling again in the US of A. 

Hope it does not konk-out for some reason. I plan to intercept it on its return trip in Wyoming. Might also manage a rendezvous with a certain World traveller known to provide bulletins in these pages.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well I have been thinking about it for long enough.

That Beeching chap's been along.....

...and then a 'quake...

...and then it was gone.

If you carry on with pics like those you'll be getting an awl to help the demolition process should a certain lady see what's going on :)

• Agree 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you carry on with pics like those you'll be getting an awl to help the demolition process should a certain lady see what's going on :)

Nah,  there's no railway...or modelling.....just detritus!

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

That must have been a much bigger quake than the one in Crawley the other night as GTR are still running

Huge.  See the tower blocks went and everything...…

4.jpg.1813ffaa4b576fc7e4f8cce72fe5676f.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5