The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Morning All,

As soon as Buzzwords like "drive the business forward" start to appear, it is usually a sign that the decision is the wrong one. 

It is a nice bright morning today.  However, the low sun was a bit of a pain on the drive to work.  Although, I shouldn't complain about the sun after two days of almost continuous rain!

Time for a coffee.  Have a good day everyone...

Tip for future job moves: always live East of work; travel to & from the day shift always has the sun behind you.

Here in Darkest West Sussex, I have disobeyed that rule for the first time ever and, if driving to work, regret so doing; the distance from home to work is so small that it works out cheaper to use the train instead (it's only to the next station!)

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

4 hour sleep Solid then a long awake again then 2 hours,

Part of the 2 hours was stood by the back door waiting for Ben the Border Collie.

Yesterday SWMBO accidentally locked Ben out, She had just stepped outside to get something from the car, and Ben must have followed her out, I went to the kitchen later and saw a black and white tail wandering around, He was gratefull to be let in. 

So come 20:00 when he normally asks to be let out he didn't, in fact he refused and refused again later I'm told. But when I came down at 01:45 to lie on the sofa, just after I got settled I found a Border Collie sat on the floor bolt upright, six inches from my face giving me the stare.. He definately wanted out. and disappeared up the garden into the darkness at a high speed. When he came back he was snooring in his bed long before I got to sleep.

It was also noticeable He stuck closer than normal to me this morning, I guessing he used to get locked out in Ireland where he was rescued from.. I wonder how long it will take till he forgives SWMBO...

This morning was bright sunshine as I Travelled South West to work, 20+ years ago I used to travel on the long trip up the A11 from MK to Horning straight into the morning sun to go sailing, and some hours later travel back into the setting sun..

There was a stray red deer wandering through the first village I come to on the trip in, it ran into someones garden as my car approached, so they may be in for a surprise later..

I think I've finished the second major system this week, I've just got a bit of spreadsheet processing to do, meanwhile the reference resistor is  settling  for two New 1 G Ohm Resistors to be measured shortly.

Oh yesterday the Coffin was bolted to the top of the new AC, then they cut a hole (6ft wide 18 inches tall approx) in the side of it for the metal tube that connects to Donalds nappy.. only the hole was 1 inch wider than the tube!!!:blush: which has an external flange. I came in the is morning and there is a patch rivetted on... and they've tried to disguise it by putting a matching patch on the other side...

Must remember to go to the big orange shed on the way home, I need paint for the trailer hard top 10SQM to paint..

First reference measurement taken, time to plug in the first UUT.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Whopper doo, it’s not raining today! I’m having a break from the cellar for a few days, well I normally don’t do any DIY on a Friday anyway as I usually do a shopping trip to the Trafford Centre. So today isn’t much different, other than I’m going into the big orange DIY shed first, to pick up some bits and pieces first, well they’re only a short distance away from each other, two birds one stone springs to mind. Then it’ll be the usual return journey via the butchers where I’ll pick up the weekly meat rations and hopefully a pastie for dinner too. 

Later this afternoon noon we have James and Amelia coming round for tea, so prior to that I won’t do much other than perhaps a bit of reading and/or research. 

Back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull but not raining.Yet. Sunny spells and showers, possibly heavy, are forecast.

The laptop search is ongoing and the short list has been changed and is shorter. Steve is now  trying to find a deal on a Dell for me. I haven't made any plans for today because as I said yesterday they'd probably go t!ts up awry anyway. :rolleyes:

Have a good one,

P.E.S Simist.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn’t raining. It is sunny.

I collected my car yesterday evening. It seems fine. The emissions software upgrade doesn’t seem to have affected anything noticeable. I will see if has affected fuel consumption. 

The mysterious battery discharge is still a mystery. However battery and electrics passed all the appropriate tests.

Have a good day.

Tony

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Woke up at the crack of dawn this morning, turned over and went back to sleep again and didn't wake up again until 8 so running a bit late. And so is the bin wagons dawn chorus even taking into account their being a day late due to the bank holiday. I'm still searching for electrical connectors but the ones I'm looking for are not stocked by either of the green or orange emporiums, they used to be stocked by Maplins but as they are no more I'm having to look elsewhere. Bob, I too have shrunk with age. In my yoof I was 6' 2.5" but now I am slightly less than 6 foot, I also have that age old problem of the chest dropping into the drawers.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Tip for future job moves: always live East of work; travel to & from the day shift always has the sun behind you.

Here in Darkest West Sussex, I have disobeyed that rule for the first time ever and, if driving to work, regret so doing; the distance from home to work is so small that it works out cheaper to use the train instead (it's only to the next station!)

But then there's that long walk from the station to work...………………….

:jester:

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

I was up at dawns crack just in case the "all day appointment" for the tv engineer meant before breakfast. 

So far it hasn't. 

Nor did it mean before lunch. 

Presently assessing whether it means before mid afternoon tea. 

Later I may have to assess whether it meant before dinner and/or before evening wine o'clock.

It has just started to hiss down in sunny Teignmouth.  It was sunny & warm when the laundry was hung out earlier.

Question.

Why is Phoenix precision paints 'Roof dirt' a shade of green?  It looks pretty odd when applied to a carriage roof.   

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Coughing much reduced...thank goodness.

A bit of furniture rebuilding done but I feel a bit tired and weary so time for an eyelid inspection beckons...

Baz

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Dang it!

Forgot to mention - those ANNOYING UNWANTED ADS are appearing at the top of each page again :butcher::triniti:

To take your mind off those ads read the DJModels Announcements thread.  After reading that everything becomes bearable.

Edited by lightengine
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, lightengine said:

To take your mind off those ads read the DJModels Announcements thread.  After reading that everything becomes bearable.

I did that once more than a week ago, I'm not sure I'm quite ready, or have the stomach to try it again!!! :O:jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Hi! Can someone do me a favor please? I'm stuck in a God-Forsaken place right now and I need to keep my email lines open. tTrouble is they keep getting filled up daily with RMWeb Digest - of which I seem to get several a day! all my notification are So far as I'm aware nulled so I should be receiveing nothing at present. Can some contact Andy for me so he can stop it manually??????? I can't seem to get through.

Many thanks, Pete.

Will be back later this year....so I don't want to cancel my membership....

• Friendly/supportive 19

7 minutes ago, trisonic said:

Hi! Can someone do me a favor please? I'm stuck in a God-Forsaken place right now and I need to keep my email lines open. tTrouble is they keep getting filled up daily with RMWeb Digest - of which I seem to get several a day! all my notification are So far as I'm aware nulled so I should be receiveing nothing at present. Can some contact Andy for me so he can stop it manually??????? I can't seem to get through.

Many thanks, Pete.

As a quick fix,  spam RMWeb emails, straight into a spam folder.  At a later date un spam it.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 8

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

But then there's that long walk from the station to work...………………….

:jester:

Yeah, it's a heck of a drag each day!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Today has been a day of penitence for yesterday. I have visited two of Hamburg’s finest shopping centres and SWMBO has a new coat. ‘Tis a shade of red, not too far from that found on a Home signal so I shall not be passing that one at danger.

Sad that Tesco, having destroyed the local shops such as butchers, now intends to shove the highest profit meat cuts on its customers, likely sourced from the lowest cost period users anywhere in the world. It also suggests the endless march of businesses attempting to control choice. I do hope that others can find fresh meat with a fair pedigree from a local purveyor. I am in that fortunate position with my local meat producers being under two miles away from where I can get excellent beef, pork, lamb, game and eggs, all produced with care and with minimal food miles. Sorry too for those who have lost their jobs as a result of this poor business decision but Tesco is like many such businesses, driven by global pressures rather than satisfying its customers.

Sitting in Hamburg, I see I have a variety of German adverts at the top of the RMWeb page, they’re unlikely to work for me :rolleyes:. After Wednesday evening’s pork-fest (well when in Germany you have to, don’t you), something a little more healthy will be chosen although it may be washed down with a libation purely made of malt, hops, water and yeast. Sunday will see a deliberate change in food intake, I can’t keep up this level of intake.

best

slim pickins

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Don't know if anybody else has done it but I've reported Pete's post to Mods as requested. By the way nice to hear from you Pete - hurry back!

Well, what can I say? Since my posts this morning nothing has gone t!ts up or even awry. I've spent most of the day in the shed and garden and at last things are starting to look a bit ship-shape. The gazebo that was housing the old shed contents is almost empty and they have been placed in their new home (apart from a few bits now consigned to the dump) Still haven't got the blinds up though - maybe tomorrow. Left knee doth protest a lot and liquid medication has been prescribed. I think a larger dose is needed.

P.S. It didn't rain either although the sky did go quite dark at one stage.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Met up with my friend lunchtime and after some discussion we found that we possibly have a ready made baseboard for the young mans Skarloey layout in the shape of an old paste table, we only require one half and do not need any legs so it should do. It seems that we have all the basic requirements now to proceed with layout construction. One thing to sort out though is the young man insists on there being a tunnel. I get the RMweb notifications but only once a day which I delete after a quick perusal.

• Like 12

• Moderators
4 hours ago, trisonic said:

Many thanks, Pete.

Sorry Pete, I haven't got sufficient time to manually undo the 3000 topics you've selected to follow and receive notifications so I have changed the email account your login is linked to so you won't get anything through now. PM me with your email address when you want it enabled.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2