The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

It was 11C here this afternoon and raining. We put the heating on. We had a roast chicken for dinner.  The new freezer is bigger outside than the old one but has less internal volume. About a chickens worth of volume. So it seemed a good thing to defrost. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Didn't do much today, sat down in armchair and fell asleep this afternoon. The orange rain appears to have passed us by but then living on top of a hill I don't expect to be flooded.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Still raining heavily here and has been since at least 3.30 this morning, 18 hours and counting. Luckily we live on a smallish hill so no danger of flooding here. I think if we did get flooded then London has had it!

No shed visit today, couldn't get a round tuit.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

As long as you're not the female equivalent!

I can't type with an Afro-Caribbean accent to say "I am not yo bitch man" so we'll let that one pass Richard and I certainly do not have a privileged position here either Q - I am lucky to be inside on such a foul night.

The local Scouts seemed to enjoy the talk and subsequent experiments; I have been asked to judge a competition set by their leaders so we shall see. Sorry to hear of Baz's bad day, sounds a bit of a Bart Simpson doh!

I think I deserve a small glass of something now, could it involve fermented malt?

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, grandadbob said:

Still raining heavily here and has been since at least 3.30 this morning, 18 hours and counting. Luckily we live on a smallish hill so no danger of flooding here. I think if we did get flooded then London has had it!

No shed visit today, couldn't get a round tuit.

In these days of probable rising water levels (water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink), I believe those choosing a new house should always look to the local church and ensure the prospective abode is above it - I have  hardly ever heard of a church flooding! I am apparently about 70M above sea level - well at least last week I was. Arthur Itis and his Room Mate Ism may be unwanted visitors to some, I hope those who sometimes are forced to keep their company escape.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.

A sunny day was had, if a touch breezy.  No rain now the bike racing has finished of course.  Hope news remains negative therefore positive, Q...... :unsure:

Busy at work as befits a Monday, with staff holidays in full swing now too.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Kingzance said:

In these days of probable rising water levels (water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink), I believe those choosing a new house should always look to the local church and ensure the prospective abode is above it - I have  hardly ever heard of a church flooding! I am apparently about 70M above sea level - well at least last week I was. Arthur Itis and his Room Mate Ism may be unwanted visitors to some, I hope those who sometimes are forced to keep their company escape.

Isn’t Ely Cathedral first on the list for becoming submerged?

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Isn’t Ely Cathedral first on the list for becoming submerged?

The exception that proves the rule Tony? If you live in a house above Ely Cathedral, it would be on long stilts and probably safe :mocking_mini:

Edited by Kingzance
  • Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just checked and we are 40m above sea level and higher than the nearest church but the two oldest local churches are 10m higher than us.

Many years ago in the 60s  before we were married The Boss and her family were flooded out. They lived down the road in Mitcham and were about 20m above sea level. Torrential rain at the time and the River Wandle behind their house burst its banks and they had about a metre of water in the house. Took months to sort that mess out. After seeing that at close quarters I never wanted to experience anything similar so our first residence when we got married was a 3rd floor flat on top of a hill!

Edited by grandadbob
Speelink
  • Like 19

Evening all, our trip to Aberdeen wasn't too bad(I hate shopping, indeed I am actually allergic to it)but it started raining, so we veered south to get away from it, so no visit to the river Dee, we ended up near Stonehaven at the sea bird cliffs watching the Puffins and other sea birds. No work on TOSH today, need a trip to get my cork before work can commence in earnest, possibly in Perth on Wednesday.

Night all.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The blue skies lasted until just after dinner, when it started to rain, although it didn’t last long. There had been a couple of light showers earlier in the morning, but they only lasted for a minute or so. However, by mid afternoon it was raining steadily and is still doing so now. 

This morning I managed to fill in all the gaps in the plasterboard that needed doing. These were mainly around light switches and sockets, but there were a couple gaps that were close to the junction of the wall and ceiling that also needed doing too. This nicely brought dinner time. After dinner I pottered about in the cellar, mainly storing away power tools that are no longer required for the job. I then switched on the computer and printed out the circuit diagrams that I’d drawn up a few months ago and taken them down to the workshop. Hopefully in the next week or so I’ll finally get round to actually building one, albeit initially on breadboard to see if it actually works in practice. 

After tea I had a short rest before setting off for Salford Quays for a swim. Once again the water temperature hadn’t moved (16.4C) but the dull, wet weather made it feel colder than it probably was. Although, for some reason it did seem to affect my breathing tonight, on a number of occasions I had to stop and catch my breath, so when I got close to the end of my 3rd lap, I decided to call it a day and get out. Throughout my swim it rained continuously, not heavy but enough to disturb the water surface, so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, once home, I hung my wetsuit up in the cellar to dry and then poured myself a Guinness.

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

5E8C6BFB-225B-4784-A2E7-119FCBBE2ED1.jpeg.37ec59457615f1c0cd716f74fa915027.jpeg

We did go out today, to Canvey Island. Do you like our Theme Park?Free entry for Essex residents (not Southend or Thurrock though). 

Some of the staff look slightly inebriated. Mind you, if I had to work all day in a theme park I would be too.

• Like 4
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Last time I checked my house was over 50 metres asl. The nearest church is a Methodist one at the other end of my street but as it is newer than my house it doesn't count. The nearest 'old' church is Vange and that is about 35 metres lower.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, BR60103 said:

Big worry is that they are playing some game there tonight and if they win they will be N. American champions. The stadium is right beside the railway station, so things may be immobile. 

You won't be worried about that any more!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8

Morning All,

Rain is the order of the day today.  It may well brighten up later, but at the moment it is rather on the wet side!

Time for a coffee - Have a good day everyone...

• Like 18