RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I am effectively confined to barracks. I am unable to get my car off of the drive due to vehicles parked either side leaving just about a cars width and another car right opposite my drive parked half on the pavement. The one on the right is a high top transit van that means that when I pull off my drive I cant see any vehicle approaching from that direction and the drivers cant see me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Rather floozy-ish. Anyway, aren't mermaids saltwater creatures? Sabrina at Bridgnorth is much more the thing - the tutelary deity. Father Thames would have been much more appropriate as well as being closer to the average age of a Henley resident...

Cor was Old Father Thames really a young chap then - more than half the population is under 50 years old and there are fewer over 60 years old than there are under 30 years old.  BTW said old father has his face in relief on one of the bridge arch keystones. 

42 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Mermaids have to have divided tails/ legs to deal with - er, practical details, you see, else being half fish isn’t much fun.  I could draw you a picture if you want but they wouldn’t let me put it on here.

one more thing while I’m on, some of us are still tossing around off Harwich. Any more piccys to come from your voyage, please?

Thanks for reminding me about the pics - there are more and I must get round to posting them including a trip almost to France (well within in sight of Boulogne which was much nearer to us  than Dover). Plus 'the engine room' tour.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 hours ago, Kingzance said:

Closing a lane or lanes in the event of an incident is clearly a very sensible precaution and drivers should follow such directions however The many whinings of Bedfordshire’s Chief Constable a couple of years back seems to have brought fruit and simply confirmed my suspicions that these symbols of a totalitarian state serve the dual purposes of fleecing the U.K. motorist (foreign registered vehicles aren’t pursued with any vigour) and giving more power to a special variety of parasitic citizen who gets paid from the taxes already levied on the fewer and fewer of us earning an honest crust.

Recalling driving on holiday in the UK, I was more nervous of the many traffic cameras and regulations than I was of the traffic and driving.  Not that I wantonly break the law either in this country or on holiday but I have been known to travel faster than the speed limit on occasion.  I have only had three tickets in both countries in the last sixty years or so which either means I drive OK or evade the arm of the law!:blush:

Brian.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Cor was Old Father Thames really a young chap then - more than half the population is under 50 years old and there are fewer over 60 years old than there are under 30 years old.  BTW said old father has his face in relief on one of the bridge arch keystones. 

Thanks for reminding me about the pics - there are more and I must get round to posting them including a trip almost to France (well within in sight of Boulogne which was much nearer to us  than Dover). Plus 'the engine room' tour.

There’s a statue of old Father Thames at the side of St Johns lock in Lechlade, I think it was moved from being near the source near Kemble some time back. Dunno why he’s got a spade, though?  Looking forward to seeing the pics.

DF470C9B-2692-40AF-A4CB-06068C134CEF.jpeg.82a8fdbab396796645289e6cd00d04d6.jpeg

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Cor was Old Father Thames really a young chap then - more than half the population is under 50 years old and there are fewer over 60 years old than there are under 30 years old.  

More youthful at Lechlade than Henley, I suppose. My apologies for impugning the population of the latter. I think I was being over-influenced by the elderly lady trying to get her tyre changed before joining a friend for the regatta, oveheard in tedious detail while waiting for my annual service and MOT in Sonning Common. But on reflection, she was going to Henley, rather than being a resident.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Mermaids have to have divided tails/ legs to deal with - er, practical details, you see, else being half fish isn’t much fun.  I could draw you a picture if you want but they wouldn’t let me put it on here.

one more thing while I’m on, some of us are still tossing around off Harwich. Any more piccys to come from your voyage, please?

Some of us are still in Norway from some years past .     ^_^

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

If you get the chance, head over to the Godshill Cider Barn, and also to Fort Victoria just beyond Yarmouth; there's more than just a model railway there!.

Thanks for the tips John. We may get a bit of cider but the rest of the crew are not model railway fans so getting over the initial prejudice may be a problem.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Northroader said:

There’s a statue of old Father Thames at the side of St Johns lock in Lechlade, I think it was moved from being near the source near Kemble some time back. Dunno why he’s got a spade, though?  Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Moved in the early 80s - used to spend a lot of time with Mr Slator when in Lechlade.

Edited by PeterBB
Capital letter for Lechlade
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

More youthful at Lechlade than Henley, I suppose. My apologies for impugning the population of the latter. I think I was being over-influenced by the elderly lady trying to get her tyre changed before joining a friend for the regatta, oveheard in tedious detail while waiting for my annual service and MOT in Sonning Common. But on reflection, she was going to Henley, rather than being a resident.

There seem to be lots of elderly ladies about ths year attending the Regatta - more than I can remember seeing in any past year and quite a lot of them trying to be the height of fashion.  

Very trying in some cases

30 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Some of us are still in Norway from some years past .     ^_^

And alas the Norway pics seem to do have done an electronic hiding trick although I do have the original cards but one wont download for some reason.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

Chris,

Do you have an approximate timing for Trafalgar Square on Saturday?   Unsure whether I can make it, depends how busy Lord's is and my local train service will  be crap.  Bill

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

We were off to Stratford this morning (about 100km away). There was a talk by the assistant director about Othello. Interesting info about how they're presenting it (modern army with females in it). They have an intimacy coach because it's very stressful on the actor to be abused and murdered everyday.  Apparently a girl at a school presentation had an extreme reaction to the end of the play. The set is off square and not symmetric on purpose.

Lunch at a local Mennonite restaurant. Generous servings -- Dayle couldn't finish her senior's plate.

• Like 19

Morning All,

It is a slightly cloudy morning in this part of the world, but reasonably cool and I expect the temperature will reach the very high 20s by the end of the afternoon.

8 hours ago, Northroader said:

I believe that the spade is supposed to represent the digging of locks to make the Thames navigable.  However, I don't think the spade that he currently holds is the original one.  Quite what happened to the original, I am not sure but perhaps it was damaged or got lost when the statue was moved.  It was originally displayed in the Crystal Palace if I remember correctly.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl. Inner Temple Hare, 

a good nights sleep of 4.5 hours, coughing fit, 2 hours sleep. 

Having a bit of a lie in on the sofa as I set off 2 hours as today as I have to go via the Vampires abode. 

If that goes quickly I'll also drop into the sailing club,  and sign on the dotted line of the notice board for rescue boat duties for regatta week. 

Scantily clad females are not common at the sailing club more likely  it's hard wearing trousers,  T shirts and a life jacket. Females fully participate in the sailing. That being said there is no part of the human body I haven't seen passing on a tourist motorboat over the years. 

Our car park becomes a jigsaw puzzle as it gets jam packed each day,  just occasionally some tourist decides that parking for free in our car park, is preferable to paying in the next door car park. Not surprisingly we don't try too hard to find who is blocking them in , and if they're out on the water for another couple of hours ...tough. 

I finally finished this week's major system and left it on its cross check run overnight,  the lab crew will swap the test gear over the its sister system this morning for part two of the check. 

So when I get in I'll have to analyze part one of the results, part two much later.. 

I'm expecting brown eyes to show up shortly, as a short time ago I'd be taking him out before setting off for work. 

Time lie back and rest.. .. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

We had some new recliner sofas delivered yesterday. Tried them out last evening and..they are ideal locations for impromptu eyelid inspections.

Watched some of England Womens Ashes ODI last night. Either they need a change of coaching staff or a big change in attitude. Australia Women are improving their skills all the time, England aren't. 

Just before falling asleep last night a twin turboprop plane (Jetstream 41 or Saab 340) was doing low level fly rounds at Leeds Bradford Airport...flying over our house. This is not a normal flight into LBA. Checked on flightradar...nowt! So was it  a contraband flyer or someone doing a test?

Nice morning so lots to ro..including hawthorn hedge trimming ..bu&&er!

Enjoy your day!

Baz

• Like 19