The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

25 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Good morning from a damp and overcast Newport OR.

After a really beautiful weekend, showers came in overnight. That's twice now since the 4th of July - the point at which we can usually count on no precipitation for the balance of the summer. At least temperatures are very pleasant.

Of course cloudiness can be anticipated at any time of year at the coast. The Pacific Northwest is where people put more clothes on to go to the beach. The weirdest Oregon coast summer weather I experienced was a dense, hot fog right on the beach. Clear on dry land, clear at sea, but a dense layer of stifling fog over the surf and the beach.

I don't know which way you are headed to Eugene, but if you drive south along the coast to Florence and take highway 34 you will pass under this bridge modelled by an RMwebber.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

We had friends work in Eugene for a few years. The wines they brought back were very good.

Day at the cricket watching a Saffer spinner (Maharaj) tieing Somerset up in knots..Why didn't  he play in the world cup?

Now need some scran so may be back later.

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just got the latest Travelzoo list. Post Office railway trip £9 instead of £16 I think I'll have some of that. Hope things go OK for Mrs. Rick. Time to prepare dinner, be back later.

• Like 16

Phew what a scorcher, had a long lie(a lie in to me and you) in anticipation of an early start and a very late finish if I do go chasing Sea Trout later in the week, a bit of lazy gardening, picked a few pounds of Black currents, which SWMBO has stewed and made a sauce to smother some low sugar ice cream in a bit. We went on a 6 mile bike ride once the heat had dropped a bit out of the sun, clear blue skies still, though the barometer is falling, so it will change. A short bit of muddling took place, retaining walls stuck in place and the banks lathered with pva and then re-claimed ballast was tumbled down the banks to simulate the prototype, it's handy having the real thing close by.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Almost forgot, purchased a new desk lamp today. First problem was I didn't have the correct bulb, it needed a screw fitting and all my other light fittings are bayonette so I had to buy a bulb as well. When I had set it up I realised that the string of LED's that had been flickering were working perfectly. This turned out to be because I had placed the switch on its side. The desk lamp was intended to replace the string of LED's but it will be useful for the modelling bench.

• Like 14
  • Funny 3

A very big weekend in sporting world for a small island.

It seems the Kiwi cricketers have something in common with Roger Federer.

I am a fan of limiting the fifth set in Grand Slam tournaments and I thought the tie break at 12 all was a worthy idea.

In full disclosure, I am a big RFed fan. Despite this, when the match began I wasn't convinced he would prevail. Even after leveling the second set I remained unconvinced. By the time he had two championship points in the fifth set my belief returned, accompanied by the dark thoughts that if he lost them, Novak would win - as he did eventually.

Sometimes these "there has to be a winner/ sudden death" rules seem dreadfully cruel, if not necessarily unfair.

The cricket certainly sounds like it was exciting. I didn't pay the extra freight to be able to watch it on TV here and would have watched the tennis anyway, also missing the F1 grand prix which was broadcast live here. I did check in on the scores and was surprised to see a 241 run tie after 50 overs without the match ending. The arcana of super overs wasn't clear to me in the terse score summary Google presented at the time.

At the end of the day a seven point tie breaker and a 'super over' ultimately decided on boundaries seems like a cheap way to determine a winner after weeks of high-level competition.  Football matches won on penalties doesn't feel like a full victory either.

The recent 2019 US National Spelling Bee ran out of challenge words. They awarded a record number of eight winners but that's not something I would propose in a sports context.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Our trip to the tip went well. So we set off to Bluewater. I don’t think I have ever spent so much on clothes in one day but at,least I won’t need to go again for some considerable time. We made use of our drink and cake vouchers and then went to choose Lego for the eldest niece’s birthday present. Lego chosen.

There was some traffic at the Dartford tunnel on the return but nothing like it used to be when the toll booths existed. 

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Barry O said:

We had friends work in Eugene for a few years. The wines they brought back were very good.

Day at the cricket watching a Saffer spinner (Maharaj) tieing Somerset up in knots..Why didn't  he play in the world cup?

Now need some scran so may be back later.

Baz

Loads of wineries around here but never been a big wine drinker and my other hslf gave up many years ago after a bad night on the stuff. Certainly put me off clearing up after. Won't go into any more detail as will be way too much

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

Morning All,

It's a nice bright morning today.  After several days of it being relatively mild and cloudy, we are set to return to warmer weather.  Hopefully not too warm!

There isn't a lot else to report, so have a good day everyone...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2