The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

It has been a busy couple of days Upon the Hill.  That is in the interludes when I have not been either putting up zzzzz or sitting in the sun with a beverage of choice. ;)

With SWMBO absent in Cornwall a start has been made on a project I committed myself to earlier in the year and which should result in a published end-product around this time next year.  Not a great deal of original writing rather assembling material from a range of sources and acknowledging the work of others whilst adding my own moniker as "Compiled by".  

Tomorrow, fair winds and temperatures permitting, I set forth for Wareham after my shift at the House of Fun.  I have an afternoon appointment to catch up with ex-Neighbour (Upstairs) who is staying with her family until she moves from here to the new place in a few weeks' time.  The afternoon may well require consumption of vodka-and-lemmingade (hers) and something vaguely brown served by the pint (mine). SWMBO will be in the Brizzle / Bath area so I am able to play later than normal and won't have to rush home.

Speaking of the House of Fun a new plaque was unveiled today.  I wonder what Chrisf might make of it.  Prior to being unveiled it was poorly concealed behind curtains which many members of the public drew back to see what might be behind.  The reactions were mixed.  What ever the law there is a number of folk - mostly the senior generation if today was anything to go by - who still find such things unpalatable.  Two of our own staff team, both strict Christians of the Afro-Caribbean persuasion, have formally protested partially on the grounds of what it is (for them it is contrary to their devoutly-held personal beliefs)  but also because we have been told - and some long-serving staff have been told for 30 years - that we cannot have a memorial plaque on the station to the victims of the three-train disaster nor to the staff member who collapsed and died on duty last year.

I make no further comment.  It is what it is.  It is a blue plaque and, as they usually do, records a matter of historical fact.

It is forecast to be very hot these next few days.  Temperatures I have worked in before, of course, but unfamiliar to Londoners. I shall use this as a reason to press for company-issue headwear and sunscreen.  Both are mandatory in Australia - both to be supplied and to be worn  - when working outdoors.  We get ......... nothing.  It is time to make a move towards collective health and safety (small H & S).  

Stay cool.  Stay indoors if possible.  Check on vulnerable neighbours and always carry water.  I'll see you soon.

IMG_2688.JPG

• Like 17

Thoughts are with Sandy and John, hope it's under control soon.

Car partly loaded for the southerly migration, thunder storms predicted first thing, so not going for an early start, as long as we are in Leicester before dark that will be fine, funerals take place on Thursday, we will see when we head back north, I may be off grid for a few days.

G'night all.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

We dodged the hot weather here for quite a while but it has arrived today. It's 36C in the shade. I hope it cools down later as my instructions require that I cook dinner on the grill (not usually referred to as a barbecue in these parts.)

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I shall use this as a reason to press for company-issue headwear and sunscreen.  Both are mandatory in Australia - both to be supplied and to be worn  - when working outdoors.  We get ......... nothing.  It is time to make a move towards collective health and safety (small H & S).

An eminently suitable application of health and safety recommendations there Rick.

Is there any kind of uniform cap at your house of fun?

I am a product of the inaugural 'slip, slop, slap' campaign (and earlier some nasty sunburns) and prefer to wear hats when in the sun for any length of time.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s Sainsbury’s Grand Prix was uneventful, everything that was the shopping list was purchased, with a few extra beers for yours truly. 

This afternoon I made the cheesecake that had been requested by Max, it is a ginger biscuit base, on top of which is a soft caramel layer, followed by white chocolate cheesecake topping and finished of with a caramel drizzle, I don’t expect much to be left over!

John. sorry to read that Sandy has had to be admitted into hospital, thoughts with you both. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-land. Thoughts are with John and Sandy at this time. Just spent a very good evening at another SEERS members garden railway, sitting on the patio under a gazebo watching the trains go by and the sunset.  Temperature indoors is still 26 C.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thunder storm just kicked off here; looks like some heavy rain and all heading North-North-East from just east of the Isle of Wight.

Night awl!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

We have lightning, heavy rain and it's fairly windy.  I'm watching the lightning through the windows and on the PC.

Thoughts are with John and  Sandy.

Bed time soon I think, hopefully I'll get to sleep.

Goodnight all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thor arrived around 04:00, Ben is hiding in his cage which is shaking. 

Nice to see Debs posting,  

Best wishes for Sandy... 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. 

If John’s thunderstorm passed this way I was blissfully unaware of it.  Outside feels as though it may storm at any time. 

s there any kind of uniform cap at your house of fun?

None whatsoever. Only the hood on our anorak which might yet need to be worn today if it storms. 

Some sort of better news from Sandy.  Best wishes from here. 

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Thor arrived around 04:00, Ben is hiding in his cage which is shaking. 

It must be travelling really fast. A couple of hours ago there was suddenly a great wind (nothing to do with my cooking although I did fry some onions to go with the burgers) a bit of thunder and lightning then it took off in your general direction. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

No Too bad on the sleep front, 3.5 hours plus 3 hours. 

After my previous comment Thor wandered off, But when Ben The Scare-dy Collie was taking me on patrol, Thor came back again, and Ben ran back to the house.

The trip in was illuminated by various impressive flashes of light and some rain. There  though were some dry areas on the way in..

The roads are very quiet as some schools have closed a couple of days early, due to heat in the class rooms..

Schools closing this week means it's Wroxham regatta next week, followed by our regatta the week after, followed by Hickling Broad regatta.

As I left work yesterday The boss wandered out to see the A/C men who are here fitting the system for the old boiler room / new lab. He went out there as my lab had hit 25 C just before I left, it the A/C is not coping well with the heat, and I'm having to do sensitive to temperature work in the mornings.

Talking of sensitive measurements, I'm suspecting those with overnight automatic runs will be re running some bits as the electromagnetic pulse of lightening can cause problems even if there isn't a strike on the power lines..

I was doing some more research on, travellers / bridles / rope horses / metal horses in regard to boats. and the "experts" reckon a bridle is best for what I'm trying to do. This is also one of the cheapest solutions to my problem of arranging the mainsheet on the boat. So i've made my mind up on that and ordered a few bit and pieces which will get fitted on Sunday hopefully.

I see I have to do company online anti bribery course... I should be so lucky that someone would try to bribe me..

Time to... check the company spam...

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

It has been a busy couple of days Upon the Hill.  That is in the interludes when I have not Speaking of the House of Fun a new plaque was unveiled today.  I wonder what Chrisf might make of it.  Prior to being unveiled it was poorly concealed behind curtains which many members of the public drew back to see what might be behind.  The reactions were mixed.  What ever the law there is a number of folk - mostly the senior generation if today was anything to go by - who still find such things unpalatable.  Two of our own staff team, both strict Christians of the Afro-Caribbean persuasion, have formally protested partially on the grounds of what it is (for them it is contrary to their devoutly-held personal beliefs)  but also because we have been told - and some long-serving staff have been told for 30 years - that we cannot have a memorial plaque on the station to the victims of the three-train disaster nor to the staff member who collapsed and died on duty last year.

I make no further comment.  It is what it is.  It is a blue plaque and, as they usually do, records a matter of historical fact.

IMG_2688.JPG

Strange this, since their is a brass plaque on the wall at Brighton station to Rodney Cayer who was a guard and later a ticket inspector.

Edited by lightengine
  • Informative/Useful 11