The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

That water is positively balmy. 

As a young lad in the North East we swam in the North Sea.. always avoiding the icebergs! (max 17C  min 6C)

The I went to the outdoor pool at Tynemouth.. that was colder than the sea! 

Pictures of Tynemouth outdoor pool

Only way is was via the water slide

Baz

Too true . . and come out covered in coal dust.

Did you ever use the open-air pool in Horden Welfare Park?

1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

I somehow guess that was in the days of knitted costumes Baz, pre-Speedo budgie smugglers :D.

Didn't need them . . . . . So bluddy cold "everything" sort of Disappeared!

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 5
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Two_sugars said:

Too true . . and come out covered in coal dust.

Did you ever use the open-air pool in Horden Welfare Park?

Didn't need them . . . . . So bluddy cold "everything" sort of Disappeared!

John

Yes I did used to go to the "res" .. guess what? That was chilly as well.

BUT us hardy Yackers would get the cozzy on and have a bit of fun . 

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Shed visited and final layout boards and flap all altered and installed although I need to get a bolt or something similar to secure the latter properly. I have to admit that this is not my best piece of carpentry but it will have to do. This has come at some cost so The Knee is considerably painful tonight. Liquid anaesthetic is being taken as I type. *

Tomorrow will see a day of rest as I observe the landscapers laying the carpet lawn. According to Mark they probably won't get everything else finished tomorrow so will need to return next  week.

* Malbec... it seems to be working :rolleyes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

37 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Mrs NHN's trashed hamstring continues to improve slowly, and a large consignment of archery equipment is on its way to her. The tutor reckons she has a real talent for field archery which is nice to hear,

Some music for Debs

• Like 4
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still a bit warm tonight but should cool down over the weekend. Removed the dead weeds and other detrius from the patio and over the weekend get the Karcher out to give it a good clean. After that the front path needs the same treatment, once the weedkiller has done its work. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, TheQ said:

It had three address labels ,

the original correct one, 

Another where some bright spark changed the post code to the other village of the same name in Norfolk. 

And the third covering that up with the correct postcode again.

I had a similar experience a few years ago. Parcel coming via a firm whose local delivery man was based in Hadfield. 

Due delivery day passes with no parcel, so I checked the tracking information. It had gone from Bristol to Birmingham then on to Manchester. It had then gone to Hatfield.

The following day it went from Hatfield via Sheffield to Manchester, passing my house, before finally arriving.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'm now not able to have an MRI due to residual ironmongery in my foot.

It might not be a problem Neil. I just had an MRI on my knee and I still have the Meccano in my wrist.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I had a similar experience a few years ago. Parcel coming via a firm whose local delivery man was based in Hadfield. 

Due delivery day passes with no parcel, so I checked the tracking information. It had gone from Bristol to Birmingham then on to Manchester. It had then gone to Hatfield.

The following day it went from Hatfield via Sheffield to Manchester, passing my house, before finally arriving.

I am very impressed with TNT here in France. I ordered some microswitches for the kitchen cupboards last night at 6pm and they were delivered this morning.

Jamie

• Like 17

6 hours ago, Barry O said:

That water is positively balmy. 

As a young lad in the North East we swam in the North Sea.. always avoiding the icebergs! (max 17C  min 6C)

The I went to the outdoor pool at Tynemouth.. that was colder than the sea! 

Pictures of Tynemouth outdoor pool

That picture of the waves breaking over the pool walls brings back memories. 

There was an open-air pool in Gourock where I grew up. The water was changed by the pool flooding at very high tides, or in storms. That meant that interesting things could often be found in the water. Fish and jellyfish were quite common, but there were sometimes exotics like seals and yachts. The pool's still there, but the sea wall is higher, and the pool is heated (!!) - I wonder what the heating bills are like.

About swimming in the North Sea - on a visit to Scotland one summer in the 1980s, we took our sons for a trip to North Berwick, where I'd had several holidays as a kid. When we got to the beach, they got changed and ran down into the water. I was a bit behind them, and as I was going towards the water, our 6 year old was coming back. He was weaving as he walked, and wasn't talking clearly. Having had it myself a couple of times, I reckoned he was suffering from exposure!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl, 

Just back from the MRC to find a  message on this gadget that dads using his season ticket again,  he's back in hospital due to pain from the lump and unable to breath, it's probably connected 

As for the MRC we are back to double figures turning up,  I discovered the metal hooks I use to OK hold the removable scenic front boards on, are just the thickness of 5mm ply.  So I spent most of the evening marking out two inserts.  They will be cut tomorrow they will make the join much neater and less obvious.

I did some making like slartybartfast,  after which I noticed , I've carved a railway cutting wrong,  luckily it's just a case of carving a bit of foam to fill in excess cutting.. 

I also noticed a major boo-boo.. The pelmet supports have to be at the back corners of the layout, that won't be changing they work well. The fixed board in that area is inset so the next board which forms the Foot of the L of the layout has something to sit on. ..  This means the pelmet support is 6inches into the next board.

A solution is being sought,  answers on the back of a banana skin to.... 

• Friendly/supportive 19

13 minutes ago, pH said:

There was an open-air pool in Gourock where I grew up. The water was changed by the pool flooding at very high tides, or in storms.

I was thinking of the same place. My mum took me there once. I think I was three or four at the time. The cozzie was woolen of course.

The sea at Ardrossan North Beach could occasionally be pleasantly warm. Certainly a lot warmer than the likes of Montrose where our cousins used to take us, and a lot less dangerous too.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s various stops for shopping went well, everything that was on the list was purchased. Once home, I put away the shopping and had a well earned muggertea. After dinner I read the latest MERG journal, which arrived yesterday but I’d only skimmed through. Then I watched a program I recorded the other day about Scotland’s railways, concentrating on mainly Edinburgh and the West Highland Line, there was some stunning scenery, even Sheila enjoyed watching  it.

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Wettish and windy but the decking on the patio wall has progressed nicely - although very time consuming for Ray with a lot of that time spent in the shed drilling and tapping holes in the straps that will hold all the planks together - the original holes not lining up as required.

Consequence today was a late trip to Tess Coe's for weekend fodder although I did manage to get dinner in at a reasonable hour afterwards.  Also got to see most of Father Brown on TV.

Long weekend beckons, so off to bed.

' night all and nos da from red dragon land.

_______

Polly

Edited by southern42
that little Welsh word (meaning "night") auto-corrected again to "not".
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, chrisf said:

I am sick and tired of e-mails asking "how did we do?".  Four of the wretched things await my attention from Volkswagen alone.  Today there are two from E.on because I changed my electricity tariff yesterday with a little help from a human because their webshite is carp.  The one which really took the biscuit was from Bristol Pride, which asked me among other things how much I spent on alcohol at Pride.  How am I supposed to remember that more than a month after the event?!  My problematic friend Harry is increasingly private to the outside world.  Frustrating though this is to those who have to deal with him, I am beginning to think that he might just have a point.

If I do feel like filling out a survey, I often include a coment that I couldn't recommend to my friends anyone that asks me to fill out a survey.

When we had our motorhome repaired under insurance, the insurance company sent a survey. I waited until we had the RV back to fill it in (took 2 months) and by then the survey was inaccessible.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5