Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

,Morning All 

Blue sky with some white fluffy bits.

Dog day today I'll probably get towed down the back lane until he gets bored then he will tow you back it's handy as it uphill I bet he's grown another inch since last week 5' long now @ 19 weeks old 

Food shopping later at Horrorsons and get some more boxes for the move.

As for Q's photo there are some right brainless articles driving boats around on the Broads I bet the guy/clown said who built that bridge too low :jester:

Must get on enjoy your day :superman:B Woodhouse :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit later than expected as it appears the RMweb server went down for a while as I was reading the posts here on ER's. Bright and sunny here at the moment but forecast to cloud over later with thunderstorms. Tea has been drunk so its be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Morning Debs:)

As i was talking about the broads this popped up on one of their forums.. I didn't know whther to put this in driving standards:wacko: it costs about £2500 a week to hire..

the bridge height is slightly lower the other side.. It's also one of the taller bridges on the broads..

Is collision damage insurance advisable when hiring? 

• Like 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

good afternoon from a currently  overcast Surrey.

A busy weekend with the seaboard Southern show on Saturday and a good part of yesterday in the shed.

This morning I cut the apex pieces to the shed gable end fascia boards. Started out sunny but just as I put the first fixing in the rain came down. Both apex pieces now fitted in place and next will be the canopy over the patio.

Just added the lining to one side of 34081. Will leave this to dry before starting the other side.

I also have a bag of locos to fit sound decoders for some one. So a little bit of crust earning.

20190923_122245.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 19

Greetings all from LBG which is cloudy with some sunny intervals. Rain is promised.

It's nice to see Ian and Sherry posting and Debs too.

The weekend was mainly quiet. I managed to mow the lawn and we did an exploratory trip to make sure Mrs Lurker knows where a residential course is located when she takes Younger Lurker there in a couple of weeks' time.

I started school in 72 and we were taught metric measures exclusively - and I do remember the maths books emphasising New Pence. However, I use imperial measures for my own height and weight (the latter of course being "too heavy" in both formats). I also think of distances in miles. Temperatures on the other hand are for me in Celsius (although I do remember the old weathermen giving the temperatures in degrees centigrade and then Fahrenheit). The Lurker boys seem to think in cm for height and kg for weight.

Have a good day all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Is collision damage insurance advisable when hiring? 

Personnally i think they should go back to a collision damage deposit.. we get the tourists running into things and just driving off saying, we've paid for the waver not exchanging details with the owner of what they've hit.....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

17 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Is that Tyneside's cultural quarter opposite? 

IMG_2550.jpg.9631b0377bdd75fef89bc096aa343984.jpg

Er ...  yes.

Your are looking at the Hilton Hotel -  which, I confess, did quite surprise us at the time for choosing to open in Gateshead.

Actually it is on the site of Whinfield's C18 Foundry Gateshead.  (the old NER Greenfield works were to the right of the High Level bridge.) 

Whinfields held Trevithick’s 1803 Pen-y-Darren loco patents for the north east and a locomotive was built here speculatively for Blackett's Wylam waggonway in 1805. This was said to be too heavy for contemporary track but was retained in the foundry as a steam boiler until 1860.  

Jim Rees (of Beamish replica fame) says he discovered Trevithick cylinder castings in researching the original Puffing Bill in the Science Museum  built by Hedley's Wylam team in 1813 to build his recreation.  

dh

Lovely warm afternoon here - though nights are longer now than days from now on :(

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Autumn here now - or FALL to use the US term (buqqered if I know why we can't just be normal!!)

(From multiple sources - which did not fully agree on some details.)

"Fall" was a traditional English term and popular in the 1600s. It was carried over by the colonists to North America. By the early 1800s Britons had galvanized around use of "Autumn", for reasons apparently lost to history.  In this case American English retained a traditional usage.

"Autumn" was an earlier word (which appears in this context in the 1300s) but the more traditional English term for the season, before the 16th century, was "harvest" (recorded in this context in the 12th century).

"Fall of the leaf" is symmetrical with "Spring of the leaf" or "Spring of the year" for "Spring".

We don't use a Latinate form for Spring (Vernus) or the pagan form (Ēostre, other than "Easter") either. How the most solemn of Christian holidays is named for a pagan goddess of fertility is one of those copious and wondrously ironic, etymological transitions. The 12th and 13th century term used for Spring was the ecclesiastic, Lent / Lenten.

All of "spring", "summer", "fall" and "winter" are Germanic in origin. "Autumn" is from old French (autompne), later injected with a Latinate form (autumnus).  "Autumn" is the odd one out, but no one ever accused the English language as being a model of consistency.

Australians don't use the term "fall". Leaves don't fall off the trees there. Well they do, but not at seasonally regulated times. In any case today* is the Vernal Equinox in Australia - the beginning of astronomical spring. In my formative years, the weather presenters always used meteorological spring anyway - beginning on September 1.

* Actually it was yesterday, but still Monday the 23rd. Autumn barely made it to the 23rd in Pacific Daylight Time. It occurred at 00:50 this morning.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Iit's dry for the moment but that's due to chage apparently.   The builder has got the floor slab laid and the main delivery of materials has taken place. Beth and I got the woodshed tidied up and 2 stear of oak barrel off uts was cut up and very neatly stacked. Not by me.  The new saw is a good piece of kit.  Lunch was mussels in cream and white wine then in the afternoon  I went and bought the remaining timber for the workbench.  A pleasant  evening has been spent playing cards and now some Sottish medecine us being consumed along with some ripe blue cheese. Not a bad day.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all, busy old day, went for an 11 mile bike ride, then after lunch had a wander down to my local river for an afternoons trout fishing, the stream runs through two lochs, these have been full of algae and when I arrived the water looked lime green a bit like the spring water the Trotters were trying to sell on "fools and horses". I only hooked one fish, which leapt from the water and threw the hook, looked a good one too, oh well(I should at this point apologise if anyone heard the bad language lol). Back just before dark o'clock so once tea was consumed too late to start muddling, maybe tomorrow if the rain does eventually show.

G'night all.

• Like 15

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Your scribe is currently holed up in the Queen’s Hotel, Penzance, waiting for the forecast amelioration in the precipitation situation.

Nice old place, or at least it was, its been a while.  Thanks for the pictures which show Cornwall can be good any time of the year. Its good to see the clear coastal waters in this age of pollution.

Yeghes da!     Brian.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

As I’d hoped this morning, I did in fact get all the flooring laid down, I even managed to get it done before dinner. So after dinner I went back downstairs and tidied up, putting away the flooring tools, as I won’t need them again. I then unpacked the architrave and skirting boards, ready for fixing, which will be started tomorrow morning.

The current state of play, the skirting boards and architrave can be seen stacked on the right, awaiting fitting.

D64FB545-287B-46DD-BE07-A09A7EBFE89A.jpeg.92ffec8b417dc2c9fc8005bdc6fa574c.jpeg

The weather has been sunny for most of the day, but it started to rain just before 5 this evening, but it didn’t stop me from going swimming. The recent warm weather we’ve had over the weekend had warmed the water up a little and the temperature tonight was a balmy 17.2C. However,  due the fading light they now have the course set at 300m instead of 500m, so I did 5 laps instead of my usual 3. The water was very calm tonight, almost like a millpond with no wind and very few waves, I managed a mile in 33 minutes. In some bizarre twist, it was raining as I walked from the car to book in, when I walked out to go in the water it had stopped. It was still dry as I got out of the water to get changed, but as I walked back to the car, it was raining again!

Once home, I put my stuff in the washing machine and then poured myself a bottle of Doombar. 

Goodnight all 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 17

On 21/09/2019 at 23:29, Barry O said:

You seem to be out of touch with what schools here have been teaching children regarding metric measures etc since the late 1970s. My years in the Six Form and University landed slap bang on the change over period. 

Then you were a bit late. I was taught the SI system in the sixties in Scotland.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

I may have said before,  primary school was imperial, secondary metric,  I started secondary in 69.

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

6hours sleep so far.. I'll try for a little more... 

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

(From multiple sources - which did not fully agree on some details.)

"Fall" was a traditional English term and popular in the 1600s. It was carried over by the colonists to North America. By the early 1800s Britons had galvanized around use of "Autumn", for reasons apparently lost to history.  In this case American English retained a traditional usage.

"Autumn" was an earlier word (which appears in this context in the 1300s) but the more traditional English term for the season, before the 16th century, was "harvest" (recorded in this context in the 12th century).

"Fall of the leaf" is symmetrical with "Spring of the leaf" or "Spring of the year" for "Spring".

We don't use a Latinate form for Spring (Vernus) or the pagan form (Ēostre, other than "Easter") either. How the most solemn of Christian holidays is named for a pagan goddess of fertility is one of those copious and wondrously ironic, etymological transitions. The 12th and 13th century term used for Spring was the ecclesiastic, Lent / Lenten.

All of "spring", "summer", "fall" and "winter" are Germanic in origin. "Autumn" is from old French (autompne), later injected with a Latinate form (autumnus).  "Autumn" is the odd one out, but no one ever accused the English language as being a model of consistency.

Australians don't use the term "fall". Leaves don't fall off the trees there. Well they do, but not at seasonally regulated times. In any case today* is the Vernal Equinox in Australia - the beginning of astronomical spring. In my formative years, the weather presenters always used meteorological spring anyway - beginning on September 1.

* Actually it was yesterday, but still Monday the 23rd. Autumn barely made it to the 23rd in Pacific Daylight Time. It occurred at 00:50 this morning.

Maybe it's because of snow-fall. They are saying we might get some later this week, and it's not even October. Aaaaaarrrrrgggghh!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13