The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl. 

Now getting warm,  the fire had gone out for some reason,  the house is kept at 17 C but the fire brings the living room up to 20C.

As usual the TV is full of red, blue and orange people lying through their teeth.. I'm sure people of other colours are doing the same elsewhere. 

Our insurance policy is invalid if you leave the premises empty for more than a month.  There are also dire warnings in a guidance pamphlet,  that they won't pay out if you "advertise " you are away. The old one was thieves reading funeral notices. 

This is why I've never identified exactly  where I live,  Just a 5 Mile radius from the house  not actually centred on the house, several permanent red herrings are used in my text .. 

Ben just got very excited and wanted to the back door,...he looked and... No SWMBO's car, a very disappointed Ben wandered back in,  I guess the car that went past sounded like our car... 

The TV just turned itself off.. During a party political... Good timing... 

Saying the above, at some point tomorrow we are both out delivering the Land Rover for MOT, service,  and some other work including brakes . Ben the disappointed Collie will be left on guard... 

Ben the not disappointed Collie is running round like mad as SWMBO returns..

Bye for now.. 

• Like 18

3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

... they won't pay out if you "advertise " you are away. The old one was thieves reading funeral notices. 

I recall people being advised not to visibly include their address on luggage tags when taking overseas holidays - the idea being that thieves had mates employed as baggage handlers who would capture the addresses on promising luggage.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 4

6 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Ben just got very excited and wanted to the back door,...he looked and... No SWMBO's car, a very disappointed Ben wandered back in,  I guess the car that went past sounded like our car... 

My mum's best friend had a smallish dog that would madly circle the yard when it heard our car turn into the street (more than 150m away and out of sight). This was in a busy area with light industry nearby.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Kingzance said:

So the track plan is now firmly cast in concrete I take it Baz? :rolleyes:

Probably not - I think he's sticking it onto plywood and then ballasting it with grit instead.  

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Is this mentioned on your policy? The only thing on ours is a limit to how long you can be away for, so if someone I suppose posted they were on a round the world cruise that could invalidate the insurance.

I don’t think it is specifically mentioned on the policy, but like yours there is a limit of about 4 weeks away consecutively.  Not putting our absences on social media just eliminates the risk of insurance not paying out in the event of problems or theft while we are away.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.

Bit of a difficult day, I'm in the doghouse because I have lost my wedding ring, my full time assistant is off sick, phone going mad etc etc, but one call was from Baz so that one at least was OK!  One of those days when many callers wanted to chat about, well very little indeed, but not buy anything, and we were rushed off our feet and really didn't have the time.....but you have to make the time of course, as they may well become good customers, if only they could decide what they actually wanted..... :rolleyes:  Baz by the way, did know what he wanted! :yes: 

My Sympathies! Phone went mad. Despatch went mad and nicked several office colleagues to pack. One guy off sick. Several 20+ minute 'Product Support' calls. Manic was an understatement.

In your favour, though Neil, it's much easier for us with you lot ordering on line!! :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Snip<

In your favour, though Neil, it's much easier for us with you lot ordering on line!! :)

Ah, you noticed I persuaded John to do it too!  I use it when I order, since you (or was it Craig?) guided me to the right bit!  John has taken a bit longer to get the hang of it ;)  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Simon G said:

I don’t think it is specifically mentioned on the policy, but like yours there is a limit of about 4 weeks away consecutively.  Not putting our absences on social media just eliminates the risk of insurance not paying out in the event of problems or theft while we are away.

There could be a small "wriggle out of anything we possible can" clause, such as "taking all reasonable precautions" etc. type of statement.  Not that I'm saying that the Insurance Industry is run by a devious, conniving bunch of snakes you understand.... 

(naturally anyone on RMWeb involved in such matters is innocent of course ;)  )

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

Morning All,

The temperature is hovering around zero, and it is foggy - but there doesn't appear to be much in the way of frost.

22 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Sort of still going Robert and by the look of it thriving.

Yes Bob - I read up on the history of the Ace Cafe after posting yesterday.  I lived in London in the 90s and so this cannot be the incarnation of the Ace Cafe that I remember.  I may be wrong, but I think the one I remember used to be on the A13, and given the route that I used to take, somewhere between Purfleet and the North Circular.

Of course, much has changed in that area since the 90s!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A cool 3° here but dry and some sunny periods forecast.

An early start for us as The Boss wants to visit Sainsbury's and as I'm hoping a parcel will be delivered today I decreed we would be there when they open at 7.00am so we're back before the postie comes...hopefully.  That went down well. I've just taken her up a muggatea.

I will return later.

Have a good one,
E. ArlyBird.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, chrisf said:

I passed the remains of the Premier Inn at Cribbs Causeway, which burned down in July three days after I had stayed there.

It is a strange feeling to know that a place where you have slept has burned down - more so if the interregnum was brief.

I watched news photographs of a hotel in Santa Rosa being consumed by the Tubbs wildfire in October 2017. I had stayed there to visit a client many times, but not close in time to the fire. Being in Sonoma County, it had billed itself as a "wine country resort" and had an excellent restaurant where I shared many meals with colleagues.

I have similar feelings with retired flight numbers, where I had flown on a particular route that later experienced a fatal 'plane crash. (There are at least three that I can think of.)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 8