The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Even though it resulted in merely a dusting, there's no question that a well-defined front moving like that would play merry Harry with air traffic.

Indeed, I not only saw it I was in it... reality is that it missed JFK and was mostly/more an issue across northern and western Long Island...

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

People Services?  One step away from Personnel......and the cycle is complete.

NHN, one time Personnel Officer, (oh got an edited word removed) which became HR Adviser.  Then I got better.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,  I'm back from seeing my sailing compatriot he seems well, and has improved further. Tomorrow he's off to Addenbrooks for another check up.. 

I'm in some pain from my hip, I dont know why, I don't remember doing anything to it,  pink pills have been taken along with home made apple crumble, washed down with the evening choccy.  

It's supposed to be windy out there... It is.. And heavy rain. It isn't.. Yet.. 

I'm now going to listen to John's music of the day selection,  if you hear snoring from the back,  it's not because of the music,  but the little pink pills.. 

• Friendly/supportive 19

The British, especially HMG are past masters at synonyms, initials other unintelligible expressions.  To read The RM these days, a glossary is needed with all the NR business!  Peoples Services, Human Resources, etc, what was wrong with personnel?  How PC can you get?:unsure:

Brian

• Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

After John's post my music is a bit more mundane.   Over the past few evenings I've been binge watching the Ken Burns documentary series on Country music and have found it absorbing, educational and fascinating. Just one problem, it's left me with an ear worm.

Quite an outstanding track...

Anyway Before my binge of the latest two episodes I laboured long and hard in the shed.  This was the result.

PC190292.JPG.10e4b0b0ee74ad2f118815979a14b193.JPG

That's 5 of the 9 boards glued and clamped.  4 more to be added tomorrow.  The three cross members are cut and have now had their 2 coats of cuprinol.  I'm quite pleased with the results so far.  In the morning after getting my hair cut I'm off to buy the necessary bolts to secure the ironwork that will come off the old shutter.  

Good wishes to those that are ailing.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The day started badly when the lady fang fixer did a detailed inspection of the tooth I broke and came to the conclusion that it needs a crown so several hundred modelling tokens are under threat. Things picked up later and we had a convivial lunch with our friends who came round. After eating, the male half of the sketch and I tried the Welsh happy juice I recently acquired. The verdict? A light, pleasant tipple that whilst not at the top of either of our hit lists is more than acceptable and could well feature in future get togethers. My pal remarked that he has only recently seen it in the local emporia so I told him that its appearance is due to the delivery drivers having at long last found a route that takes them sufficiently far from the Hippodrome to avoid being waylaid by the Muddy Hollow  Gang and losing all their consignments.  

The Christmas tree decorations have of necessity been removed from the lower branches so that the cat doesn't try to play with them to the possible detriment of the tree and its surroundings should it be toppled. I have informed said cat that if he isn't careful the local stock of Davy Crockett hats could be increased by one but neither he nor SWMBO seems to take me seriously. Think I'll go to bed.

Goodnight all.

Dave   

• Like 14
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had quite a productive day, no actual muddling was done, but I have been playing with some electronic bits and pieces. As I mentioned a few days weeks ago, I’ve designed a point control circuit and I’ve run a sample of it on a computer simulator program and it worked ok. I’d also built a mock-up using bread board, real components and a few wires and got it operating a solenoid. So today I decided to actually built a prototype board. I’d already fitted a set of points to a board and added a solenoid. This would normally be fitted below the board, but as it will be in the storage area, which will be under the layout, it surface mounted it instead. I’ve also deliberately used an old secondhand solenoid, one with an integral switch fitted that isn’t quite as free moving as a newer one. My thinking is that if I can get it to work an old solenoid, I shouldn’t have any trouble with a new ones. Once I’d got it all wired up, I applied power it was a partial success, in that there was some movement, but the point didn’t changeover fully. An increase in the supply voltage made a small improvement, but it still didn’t changeover fully. So I stuck an extra capacitor in the circuit and hey presto it worked perfectly every time. The next step is to build the monitoring and feedback circuit and then wire up the point frog so I can monitor its polarity. But that’ll be work for another day. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The Christmas tree decorations have of necessity been removed from the lower branches so that the cat doesn't try to play with them to the possible detriment of the tree and its surroundings should it be toppled. I have informed said cat that if he isn't careful the local stock of Davy Crockett hats could be increased by one but neither he nor SWMBO seems to take me seriously. Think I'll go to bed.

Goodnight all.

Dave   

Nurse nurse I've got a sick cat here,  

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

A very good nights sleep 7 hours just interrupted by the odd wake up and turn over. 

It's chuckinitdarn out there which is why Ben the no chance Collie hasn't moved from his bed. 

The weather radar shows we are under bright green and yellow rain,  with a lot more to come.  This means I won't be lying on the ground outside to turn off the stopcock.  The bath tap can wait another day. 

With the hip playing up still,  it will be toolbox construction today,  a large part of which can be carried out sitting.  I wasn't planning to do heavy work anyway, it being MRC muddling time tonight. 

Now I have everything planned out for the toolbox,  first it will be time make a kits of parts for all the drawers

I just hope when that's done no one has.. 

Time to say..... Should have been to spec savers. 

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Over the past few evenings I've been binge watching the Ken Burns documentary series on Country music and have found it absorbing, educational and fascinating. Just one problem, it's left me with an ear worm.

Funny you should say that.

Back in September I had a similar reaction while watching Ken Burn's latest opus.

Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene
Please don't take him just because you can

etc.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning - its chuckinit here with water coming up out of the manhole cover at the junction of our road and the main road. Trains going up creek with no trians through Haywards Heath due to flooding but luckily my other halfs train is one of the few running on time although she says its crowded. Lets hope she can get home OK after earlier events this week. Even the M23 around Crawley is shut due to flooding so good luck anyone trying to get to Gatwick from the coast.

A friend is dropping some smaller decals round for his On30 locos that I am wokring on as the ones he gave me are way too large. Meanwhile I have buildings to work on once I have had a cup of tea.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

It has been, is and will be raining for a while.

Off to Steve's flat for a couple of hours shortly as we're assisting with some domestic stuff this morning.

My last HbA1c  4  months ago was 42 so in the right direction. I'm still eating and drinking  the same things  and at the same sort of level as I was then but not getting as much exercise which is probably why my weight has crept up by about half a stone. Strangely enough I only weigh a coupe of pounds more than when I was fully fit and playing rugby 40 odd years ago, however I had a fair amount of muscle then and no flab. Things have changed somewhat. :rolleyes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5