The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

"Toot sweet" is from French "tout de suite" meaning "right now" which is the usual meaning when used in English.  

Wikipedia - "two, six, heave"

People in the square rigged sailing community have proposed the idea that it could be a shortening of the French “tout de suite”, often anglicised colloquially to "toot sweet", which means 'immediately'. There's also been conjecture that it was originally the French, "toutes six houle" (all six heave) but what "six" is unclear as there's no evidence it was orders to a gun crew.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 7

So here's one for Ian (RH). 

I happened to be in Seaton the other evening and was taken to a micro pub, The Hat, located in a former butcher's shop. Nice beer and a convivial drinking establishment. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Richard,

Considering that Jill's birthday is March 7th, that I am addicted to such luxuries as sleeping indoors, would like my g**lies to remain in place at the size they are now, and am fairly sure that divorce lawyers are expensive, I will not be at Kettering. Jill may only be 5ft 3 in contrast to my 6ft 3 but then Spitfires were a lot smaller than Ju 52s and I know which one I'd back in a scrap.  

Chicken, me?? All I can say to that is cluck, cluck, cluck.........

Dave

...and in Singapore speak "what to do lah!"

Keith

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I happened to be in Seaton the other evening and was taken to a micro pub, The Hat, located in a former butcher's shop. Nice beer and a convivial drinking establishment. 

I'm sure Ian has done a few micropubs. I still can't really see the point of them. Isn't it better to keep traditional pubs?

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I thought I’d sorted the problem with the washing machine, as the first 2 loads that Sheila did there wasn’t a leak. However, when she came to do a 3rd wash load it leaked again. Tomorrow I’ll drag the machine out from under the worktop and have a look to see if a hose is lose or leaking. 

But I have been able to get on in the cellar, the shelving has been secured to the walls and I’ve started to transfer items from the old shelving in the large cellar room to the new shelving. I must admit that it’s been quite nice to get on with some heavier work instead of sitting at the dining room table, although I did enjoy that. 

Ian A, happy birthday 

Goodnight all

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndyB said:

That might be worth making a return visit. IIRC the last time that I was in Seaton, I wasn't old enough to drive. We have passed through Seaton Junction many a time. Wouldn't it be good if the line either reopened or the tram reached the junction and that station reopened but I very much doubt that will ever happen.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I bought a book which was waiting for me when I got home... No not about parallel bits of metal but "How to design a boat" .. A bit late now, but for £2.85 delivered (secondhand) I couldn't resist..

I've got that book!

Signed by the author as well.........

Noah.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Sell the sunshine didn’t last long, it’s raining this morning, this is typical as I’m shortly off for a short walk to the dentist for a check up! When I return I’ll have some breakfast before heading off to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. After that I will have a proper look at the washing machine, which might take some time. Hopefully this will all be done by dinner and after dinner I might do a bit more electronic kit building, as it won’t be worth starting anything in the cellar. 

Enjoy the day, back later. 

• Like 16