The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning all,

All this talk about Indian food (or the anglicised Bangladeshi food you get in most UK restaurants) has made me most envious. There is much to recommend about the restaurant scene in Switzerland, attention to detail and authenticity in “foreign“ food is not one. Even Italian food, which was pretty much brought into Switzerland in the 60s by the Italian Gastarbeiter and has pretty much embedded itself into the Swiss culinary landscape, is as authentic as a Made in China Cuckoo Clock (despite there being many second and third generation Italians in Switzerland). As to other cuisines: Thai, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, etc., they are even less authentic than the Italian food you get here (which is pretty hard to do). Once or twice I have tried newly opened “Indian” restaurants and found the food pretty ghastly; the worst “Indian“ takeaway in the UK would be as a three star Michelin restaurant in terms of food quality when compared to the “Indian“ restaurants here. Maybe I am a little bit pessimistic, but when I go into an  “Indian“ restaurant and find the waiters Eastern European, the Cook from Germany and an owner who is Swiss, I know it’s not going to end well (perversely, often the pot washer/kitchen help is one of the many Sri Lankan refugees who have landed up in Switzerland: very much a waste of talent and knowledge, at least from a culinary perspective).

Of course, restaurants are a business and have to make money by pleasing their clientele, the problem is that the clientele here is mostly gastronomically thick as two planks. I was chatting to a young Thai lady working in a Thai takeaway near me (parents from Thailand, born and raised in Switzerland with a Basel accent you could cut with a knife) and when I asked her how authentic their food was, she replied “not at all“. Apparently, many Swiss customers want Thai food without such Thai ingredients as fish sauce, peanuts, coconut milk or chilies (what you could argue as being the bedrock of their cuisine).  I suppose it is (possibly) an improvement over the “Exotic Currys“ that were available when I arrived in Switzerland in 1989: best (charitably) described as “mystery meat in a yellow sauce“ Am I an anomaly in wanting my Indian/Thai/Chinese/Japanese/Malay food to be as authentic as possible? Answers on a postcard, please.

Many of my Swiss friends, who I have been training to eat “authentic foreign food” (or as authentic as I can make it), when we first met considered “exotic” cooking as waving an unopened tin of curry powder at the pot (and don’t get me started on the topic of “Scharf” [hot/spicy]). Paradoxically, thanks to the presence of well paid expats from all over the world working in the Pharma, Chemical and Banking industries here, getting authentic ingredients is nowadays not that difficult.

I’m a fairly competent cook and can prepare various cuisines authentically (as is possible here), but there are times when I would dearly love a “proper Chinese takeaway” as I used to enjoy when living in England. My favourite being the sweet and sour pork (always with the dayglo orange sauce on the side) and the “house” stir-fried noodles. Not at all authentic, but much, much closer to the Cantonese original than you can get here!

I can offer a plausible sushi bar in Rapperswil. It's in the Hotel Speer just opposite the station exit and (last time our tour stayed there) staffed by Japanese. Despite the Annual tour (of which ChrisF has often made mention) having stayed there 3 times since I joined it, I believe I am the only member of the group to have eaten there!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. My first ever curry was a fish curry, lobster of all things. I don't remember what sort of curry it was but it was mild enough for the taste of the lobster to come through. Unfortunately the resturant had to close not long after as the premises were demolished to make way for a multi-story car park. The resturant did re-open but several miles away and definitely not on the walk stagger home from the bar. Bin day today, delayed one day by the bank holiday but as yet no bin wagons dawn chorus.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another day of sunshine and no clouds. Now that breakfast has been consumed I'm heading to the cellar to do a spot of reorganisation. I have a pile of wood that I'm going to make an arbor out of, but it is behind a table on which I'm storing 8 boxes of laminate flooring. Hopefully by the end of the day that will have changed.

Stay safe, enjoy the rest of the day, back later 

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

You have entered the twilight world of grandadhood where too close an inspection of concomitant financial matters can be bad for the digestion and depletion of modelling token stocks all too prevalent. It is well worth it though.

I can concur with the freshly shaven one.

Yesterday a scooter and scooter head (a form of rubberised animal head to add bling factor) was purchased for our grandson.  He has started riding his sister's, which we bought her about 18 months ago.  Squabbling over who should ride was causing some friction, so it was mentioned in a telephone conversation, and now a red scooter with LED wheels (they flash as you scoot) and a Shark's head is swimming up the Amazon on it's way to Reading.  The pink one with a unicorn head will no doubt be somewhat relieved.

However, the sneak factor by their mother was complaining about not having a glue gun in order to do even more craft work.

Before I could say, I've got a spare one in the workshop, a new one had been purchased on line and added to my wallet's misery.

Inless exciting news, door replacement and gardeing continues, whilst more pleasurable eactivities have been suspended.

I am now out of high pressure air (300bar) in my diving cylinder, so all shooting has to revert to good old fashioned air rifle shooting.

Break the barrel and cock, insert pellet, close barrel, aim, shoot.  Then repeat for as many shots you need to take. 

The Hatsan Blitz takes things to the other extreme:

Skip to 4.28 to miss the chat

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 4