The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Nice one Neil.:good:

I'm looking forward to seeing my 8 Great Grandchildren after the move, and if they, or we are aloud to mix again.:o

Do you mean allowed? Or perhaps with eight small children you'r using the right spelling.

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

Curry in Cornwall

• The Taj Mahal in Penzance, owned and staffed by ex Ghurkas - also do take away. Queen Street, off Marine Terrace.
  • The Tea room at Lamorna (yes) - he organises curry nights.
  • The North Inn in Pendeen - curry night including goat curry.
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just realised that the last time I was there was twenty years ago!

The curry nights are still going!  Well maybe not for the time being but .....  

Last year the offering was Jalfrezi or Balti and we suspected both were using cook-in sauces.  Nothing wrong with that but if you are going to do it in a pub at least make the effort to dress it up a little.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. No fewer than four magazines landed on the mat yesterday. All but one are looking a bit thinner than usual. I might add that only one (Back Track) is railway orientated, and thats the one thats normal size. A couple of smaller local shows have been defered rather than cancelled outright. The South Benfleet show has been put back to September and the show held by the Canvey bus museum has been defered but no specific date yet. Now to catch up on some reading, be back later.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Good to see that Brian has had some nice financial news.  Same here today with a letter from one of my pension funds (the one that goes into my personal bank account) advising me of an increase to the pension - I shall be getting an extra £19.44 annually  (less tax at the Standard Rate of course).  I am now wondering what I can spend it on.  incidentally this really shows how the world has changed and what inflation really means as this pension, from my post early retirement Zero Hours Contract job, is more than my annual salary was in the year I started full time work.

It is amazing isn't it, my UK pension is more than some of my wages in the UK although I did leave before the general increases came about being paid in PS&P then.

Brian.

• Like 17

25 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

we couldn’t board the plane home in June, 1972 without a certificate

I-94? (Or perhaps some kind of addendum to I-94 or I-129) Long ago (>30 years) on my then H1-B Visa, I was required to keep a customs/immigration form in my passport when leaving the US (which I think was an I-94) but I don't recall ever needing proof of tax payment. A new one was issued on re-entry. Back then of course the visa was stamped / pasted into my passport.  It's all so long ago it's a bit of a blur. I expect it's much the same for you.

I do remember filling in my original visa application. The questions were a hoot.

Have you ever committed a crime of moral turpitude?

Were you ever a member of the Nazi party of Germany?

etc

These days many things are different with electronic visa waivers for visitors and a complete restructuring with DHS/UCIS.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 12