Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Gradually catching up with Farcebook, one group is still getting loads of applicants but it has eased off a little but the group has more than doubled in size. This was on Farcebook.>>

A great movie (any Buster Keaton movie is worth watching!). It's been mentioned on here before. 

The last scene is near here, in White Rock, just north of the Canada/US border:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40809-buster-keatons-the-railrodder-trans-canadian-travel-in-a-speeder/

In fact, the land in the background of the guy wading onto the beach is south of the border, in the US.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

Morning all,

All this talk about bagpipes (which, incidentally, are found in various iterations all over the world and not just in Gaelic countries) has brought back to mind two of my pet peeves about bagpipe music (which I actually do enjoy).

My first peeve is that of having the pipes and drums accompanied by a marching band. Wrong, wrong, wrong! As far as I am concerned pipe and drum music should be exactly that: just bagpipes and their drum accompaniment. Too many times, at the Edinburgh Tattoo, great tunes like Hielan Laddie, The Atholl Highlanders or (worst of all) The Black Bear have been utterly desecrated by the addition of trumpets, trombones etc.

My second peeve is that of the nauseating ubiquitousness of Amazing Grace. Quite frankly, the piece should be banned by international treaty. It’s a tedious dirge in the hands of the incapable, which is where it mostly ends up. Very rarely does it soar (and as for Auld Lang Syne, Robbie Burn’s immortal words have been turned into a ghastly sing-a-long...).

I certainly agree with the contention that the bagpipes are definitely instruments to be played only outdoors. Once, many years ago, I was directing a Scottish version of “babes in the woods“ for our annual Christmas panto and the solitary piper and single drummer - who piped in the hero - were sufficient to fill the theatre with sound.

It’s rather disturbing to see so many Americans demonstrating against the lockdown and wanting to have “their freedom back“ (sic). Have they ever stopped to consider that the coronavirus does not respect national borders, is completely disinterested in their political leanings and will therefore merrily lay waste to rich & powerful countries and poor & weak countries alike? Of course (dons “Captain Cynical“ anti-hero outfit) giving these people what they want would be a relatively straightforward way of putting evolution into action. Certain of the media’s commenteriat dismiss such people as merely stupid. Some undoubtedly may well be so, but I think that the real problem is that critical thinking and self-reflection are - in some places - very much a minority activity and not encouraged (it may be instructive to ponder upon why the expression “too clever by half” [and its variants] are so widespread through English speaking world).

Finally, despite the fact that I have no idea when I will be able to restock, I have been using up my older boxes of suet; making on Friday a large Steak and Amber Beer Pie with a suet crust (and quite acceptable it was as well). Being a cook of serious and studied demeanour, the pie was - as all good pies should be - double crust.

EARLY RISERS EXAM PAPER No 1: A pie that only has a puff-pastry lid is nothing more than a jumped up stew in a fancy hat. Discuss.

Proper (2 crust) pies are truly food for the Gods.

iD

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Two pages of ER's to get through before I arrived here so a bit late.

13 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This one?

It was only recently I knew HO cars existed. In my day it was 1/32 and 1/24.

Tony

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not HO but there were OO slot cars.

https://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Minic_Motorways

Aurora produced an HO slot car system about the same time as the Minic system. They only made four vehicles, a Jaguar XK140, a Mercedes sports car, an American Ford stakeside truck and a typical American gas guzzling car, the make of which escapes me. Although billed as HO scale they were slightly oversize and the sports cars were very close to 1/76 scale.

7 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I had a very large Minic Motorways set up with a five lane figure of eight track. Although they were supposed to be OO, in fact they were much larger being nearer to 7mm scale. 

The scale depended on what type of vehicles they were. The bus and coach were pretty much to 1/76 scale, the lorries and cars were about 1/72 and in one of the model railway magazines someone motorized the Airfix Land Rover from the Bloodhound kit and it sat perfectly well with the Minic cars.

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Not necessarily as the focus of the whole show, but shopping with difficult customers occurs many times - Are You Being Served, lots of Python sketches Dead Parrot, Cheese Shop, Cannibal undertakers, Hungarian Phrasebook; Two Ronnies sketches or One Ronnie as the case may be. Arguably anytime Ronnie Barker did a shopkeeper sketch it had a lot in common with Open All Hours. 

(Admittedly the salesperson was often the butt of the joke in many of these sketches - rather than the customer.)

And not forgetting the four candles sketch (or is it fork handles?). And of course Auntie Wainright from last of the summer wine.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

Another day when we ended staying in bed longer than planned. Anyway I've already been down to the workshop putting away a few MERG KITS that has been built. I also checked my stock of nuts and bolts, as when I stripped down the 2 garden benchs a couple of weeks ago, I had to cut all the screws off as they had rusted solid. Unfortunately I don't have enough of the right size, but as I need to buy new wood for the slats, that isn't a high priority at the moment. Time now to continue working on the towel rail. 

Back later 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I should point out that Amazing grace is never played on the Highland Great Pipes. 

Why? 

Because that's the words,  the piece of music commonly used is called New Britain it was by William Walker in 1835. There are alternative pieces of music used for that hymn. 

Hmm. I'm waiting for a parcel. From the house of strong ladies,  according to the tracker it's been 5 stops away for sometime.. Since the plot is showing that stop is in the north sea i'm not surprised.. 

The keel skin/ mould exterior was sanded then surface filled with a filler that uses the same resin as glassfibre that's now setting. 

Then to The MhRC,  more slartybartfast work,  some corrections of the original builders work, kerb stones 2ft high?! 

I've decided to model the companion to the Type 84 radar as well,  the HF200 holding height finder,  motorising it is difficult,  the directional function is fine,  that's just a servo,  but the aerial nodded at between 20 and 60 cycles per minute .  There's not much room in there... And  feeding control wires will be difficult. 

hf200l.jpg

Ah the van driver has swum ashore,  parcel of bits to make things unmentionable.. 

Edited by TheQ
Edit cos I got my minutes and seconds confused
  • Like 12
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2