Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

First a happy birthday to you, may you have many more.

As for Linda Ronstadt, I only have one of her albums; Lush Life:

830207946_LushLife.jpg.41732562f1577c18adbe46793e93a7df.jpg

And that is only because of Connie. I am told the her pairing with Nelson Riddle was a great match; they complimented each other.

I likewise have only one album but in a rather different style.  "Duets" showcases her with the vocal talents of a number of perhaps lesser-known others.  Here's my clear favourite track from that album 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Bet it wouldn’t run on unleaded!

Surprisngly enough it did but you add some "additives" to help it along. Perhaps @iL Dottore can check what the swiss centurion owners club of Thun use in theirs?

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

A week or so ago there was talk of tanks on the thread. One day woke up and found a tank in the garden:

2128486354_DaysPast-03.jpg.dd7d7c1d4770f8205541d4d7a81ccb33.jpg

Difficult to see at first, seems to blend in with the background......

Keith

Don't let it get near plastic sleepers its gas guzzlin jet engine will melt them ....:jester:

Baz

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You Ain't Got A Pot To Piss In...

Reminds me of:

... for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate ...

It's fun but there are some real whoppers in there:

A false theory stated that cats and dogs used to cuddle into thatch roofs during storms and then be washed out during heavy rains. However, a properly maintained thatch roof is naturally water resistant and slanted to allow water to run off. In order to slip off the roof, the animals would have to be lying on the outside—an unlikely place for an animal to seek shelter during a storm.

Tomatoes were considered poisonous because they are from the nightshade family, not because of pewter plates.

But I'll not dissect it. Snopes had a field day with an earlier version of this essay and gave it a big fat "FALSE".

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The sun is shining now but the forecast for the rest of the week after tomorrow is not too good. Still no news of the new shed but tomorrow I will move the storage box, hopefully it will stay in one piece.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

A week or so ago there was talk of tanks on the thread. One day woke up and found a tank in the garden:

Keith

When Rob Bennett and I created the 7/8th NG exhibition layout Wrekin Havoc, we used a green version 1/16 scale Abrahms to force some perspective.  

It was meant to represent a tank on a firing point. (Having done it for real, it was a rather fanciful representation.)  We should have used a Cent or a very early Chief, but we used what was available.

Kids who came to watch loved it, as we could move the turret and make various big gun noises via the r/c.  However moving it was in another  league as the gearing on the tracks only allowed for rather rapid starts and stops, and we didn't really want it to jump off the baseboard at some unsuspecting punter. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Don't let it get near plastic sleepers its gas guzzlin jet engine will melt them ....:jester:

Baz

They could certainly melt the paint on a car bonnet if you pulled up too close behind them!

You certainly didn't want to run up behind one to use it as cover.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

... for though it has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate ...

..... it does have the words "DON'T PANIC" in large, friendly letters on the cover.  

And it is cheaper than Encyclopedia Galactica.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Surprisngly enough it did but you add some "additives" to help it along. Perhaps @iL Dottore can check what the swiss centurion owners club of Thun use in theirs?

Baz

I use an additive in my Lotus, but when I had a VW beetle in the late 80s I just switched from leaded to unleaded.

Im interested in AFVs  and often I seen a quote to the effect that one of these vehicles is preserved at Thun tank museum but have never seen mention of it when I’m on holiday in the area. Anyone know anything about it? I know there is a large military base there, by the main railway line.

Regards 

Robert

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Keith

I had the same issue aswell.

next doors cat is also a bit weary of it ( today most of the paving has been lifted and relaid and will then be jet washed)

20200607_144700.jpg

20200607_180358.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening orl.

Busy busy again at work, Peco delivered and unpacked, Peco whizzed back out again!  Don't seem to have time to think, those e mails again.....SFQ's.

Difficult week, John's missus's funeral on Thursday so we'll be closed then.  No doubt hundreds of SFQ's asking why their SFQ's haven't been answered.  Actually had a nice one today telling me off for working at home so late last night!  I need to eat.....

Happy Birthday Flavio, many more of them.

The boss in action again - 3D foam deer in the trees in shadow - first arrow in.  Further away than it looks.  Be afraid....I am!

20200607_112523.jpg.3f25a56d9c0ce36c548bdf5337142af8.jpg

It's always easier to hit something when you are comfortable and firing from a well set up 'platform'.

It's slightly more difficult when the target is moving...............

And firing back at you.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

I use an additive in my Lotus, but when I had a VW beetle in the late 80s I just switched from leaded to unleaded.

Im interested in AFVs  and often I seen a quote to the effect that one of these vehicles is preserved at Thun tank museum but have never seen mention of it when I’m on holiday in the area. Anyone know anything about it? I know there is a large military base there, by the main railway line.

Regards 

Robert

Thun have a museum .. at the Tank Training school. When I visited on business they had a lot of different vehicles including a Cent parked up (as well as a Tiger)  Trip advisor link

When they retired the Centurion (which was loved by lots of Armies) the local trained tankie bought them They had about a Regiments worth (not sure but Circa 50+ vehicles) which they drove around town on one Sunday a month. That is where I was given Panzer wein to drink...then a beer ..well it was Friday afternoon  so only the full time instructors were on site.

The tank range is over the top of the road tunnel.

baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I had the same issue aswell.

next doors cat is also a bit weary of it ( today most of the paving has been lifted and relaid and will then be jet washed)

20200607_144700.jpg

20200607_180358.jpg

Good picture of a proper tank. Challenger 2 for Gulf War 2.. the colour was "Persian Drab".. or at least a few from Leeds were painted that colour.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

5 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

ot and steamy here at 25 already first thing, and today is supposed to PEAK at around 35, there's a light breeze but that's not really helping! :O

This has to be one of the weirdest Spring/Summers here in GH.  Cool and showery and sometimes downright wintry.  Good for our lawn though, that has just been reseeded, grass is growing really well.  Flaming June may appear later perhaps!

Brian 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

All these pictures of tanks on the line have caused me to think about something green or black with six wheels which Goes When Ready :jester:

I'll do me tin hat and wish you all a good night! 

• Thanks 3
  • Funny 13

3 minutes ago, brianusa said:

This has to be one of the weirdest Spring/Summers here in GH.  Cool and showery and sometimes downright wintry

There was more weekend snow in the mountains here. I don't think I've seen as many Spring thunderstorms as this year. We had them both days over the weekend. Cool again today (about 17°C right now) and will be cooler than average on and off for much of the week. 

Our thunderstorms are mild in comparison to most places that experience thunderstorms, but there were reported funnel clouds and a waterspout over the ocean. These are not unknown in the Pacific Northwest, but they are not frequent.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1