Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Hi Brian,

We are going to have to agree to disagree. I had an uncle who fought in the war who used that pejorative and I'm sure he had been using it for many years. It was common in the UK long before WW2 and it was as much a racial slur then as it is now.

I'm not suggesting Gibson was trying to be vindictive or deliberately racist. He probably thought it was amusing but I'm pretty sure that had there been any black airmen in his squadron, they would not have been in the least bit amused, and I wouldn't blame them. In my opinion the notion that Gibson didn't understand the significance of the name is an attempt to re-write history.

Andy

(not far from the former premises of Aryan Nations)

I remember being able to buy paint that went by the name of N Brown. It also featured in watercolour sets.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Yep cricket = rain PAH!!!

As it happens I tend to take a lot of wiki with a pinch of salt. People can change it for various reasons. Some entries are , how can I put it, based upon cobbled together bits and bats .. the one on a certain British tank has some strange information in it for example. And the Domesday Book does have details of all people including slaves according to the people who look after it.

Mugatea ready for dtinking so TTFN

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, pH said:

Eh - no it didn't. It didn't even record the population of all of modern England:

"The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time)."

and

"The survey does not cover London (city), Winchester, Northumberland and Durham or much of north-west England; the only parts of Wales included are certain border areas."

That said, there definitely was still slavery in the British Isles at that time, and apparently something that looked very like slavery for several hundred years after that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Britain

Oops yes most but not all of England

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I remember being able to buy paint that went by the name of N Brown. It also featured in watercolour sets.

Ah yes. The "Cecil John Rhodes" box of colours.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

I'm not reading anything into the past. Racism was rife in the UK just as it was here. I've experienced plenty of it in the UK and in the US.

Presumably Gibson called his dog that because it was black (Shona is also black but we called her Shona) or did he just happen to draw the name out of a hat? People like the aforementioned Rhodes were using that pejorative epithet in the UK long before Gibson and I can't blame him for falling into the same trap. I did too.

As I said before, I very much doubt  that Gibson had any intention of being hurtful. He was merely falling in line with a common sentiment at that time.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I have a very good friend, ex-RAF and a squadron colleague with whom I flew (and, incidentally, one of the best pilots I ever knew) who is Nigerian and dark skinned. He is of the opinion that the current fashion for decrying everything to do with past colonial activities and what happened historically in general is counterproductive for race relations and that the political correctness applied to such things as Guy Gibson's dog does more harm than good. 

A bit of a grotty day here in the borderlands so I may well have to put on hold any plans to get involved in outdoor activities such as the G word and settle instead for spending time in the workshop. It's a hard life sometimes.

Cheers everyone.

Dave

I have worked with and employed people of all sorts of ethnicity both in the US and the UK and none of them ever suggested that exploring these issues was doing more harm than good. Quite the reverse actually.

The US has nothing to be proud of but neither does the UK.

BTW, I never got to meet my uncle Bobby. He died serving the RAF in WW2.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to all from a warm and sunny Charente.  The day started with a wonderful  video call to the girls. A good chat was had with Rachel and Laura, Emily toddled around in the background all the time, waving to us now and again when she wasn't busy. Rachel starts back at work on Monday so we hope that things go well. Then it was off to the tip to dispose of 4 months worth of rubbish though some wasps nesting in the corner pillar of a skip didn't like my presence. I then pucjed up some long ladders forca little job. Quick break forca cool drink now then off to get the firstvif 6 stearscof wood from our friends house. Beth is out so after that the day is allegedly mine.

Congratulations to John Wass and his Mrs.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

....6 watts per channel is not a lot of "oomph" unless the speakers are quite sensitive. I had (still have but no longer in use at this time) a set of stacked The Advents on top of Advent Legacy 2s that would go to ear-bleeding levels as one approached 10 watts....

I find this whole business about Wattage a bit baffling. My newest toy (HIWATT Little D Rig) is 20/0.5W Switchable Class A Guitar Amp with the EL84 + ECC83 Valve Configuration. Output is 8 Ω into a WEM Starfinder Fane 1x12 Cabinet (output choice is 4Ω, 8Ω or 16Ω depending upon what speakers & cabs are being used). I've only used it at the 0.5W power level (well, to date) and It is far louder than my other amplifier: A Roland Cube 30W COSM jobbie which has onboard effects, amp modelling and it's all solid state with a 10 inch speaker (as opposed to the 12 inch Fane in the WEM Cab). In theory, the Roland should be louder than the HIWATT, but setting the volume knob at 12 O'Clock on the Roland (presumably equalling 15W of output) the Roland isn't as loud as the HIWATT atll the way up to 10 at the 0.5W Power Level (so presumably a full 0.5W of output).

For years, a friend of mine (and a semi professional guitarist) has been trying to convince me that Valves are better than solid state for Guitar Amps - I think I now know why....

Enjoy Saturday

iD

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It's raining so I doubt they'll be any cricket at Old Trafford today! Breakfast is but a distant memory and muggertea No2 has been made so I'm off down to the workshop for a few hours. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 15

Morning.

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

You seem to be reading all sorts of things into the past. We were not there. There was a different way of thinking about life. What we don't agree with now shouldn't be retrospectively applied to the past. The past is gone but it is great to make sure people can understand why we are where we are about lots of things. When I was a child if we used "eenie, meanie, mini, mo" I didn't know what the words meant and never even thought about it as rascist.

My junior school had a new teacher appear one yeear. He was from India and we all respected him. In our village he and his wife arrived one day in ceremonial dress. We were gobsmacked. No one called him names..in fact we were amazed that so eone could speak beautiflEnglish that everyone could understan.

Baz

Then there's Robertson's Jam's logo; golly!

Songs like "Young, Gifted and Black" and "Melting Pot - Blue Mink" would never even leave the composer / writer's desk.

History teaches us much but is all too often ignored. Gulf War 1 and GW2 have even been cited by a popular TV satirist as an example of such.

In many ways, it's a shame that PC has come about because most of it is in the mind of the receiver. Where would the English Language be without the Double Entendre, for example? The thirty Carry On films would never even left the writers' desk let alone made it to celluloid.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

This domesday entry for my town has two slaves mentioned

https://opendomesday.org/place/SK4003/market-bosworth/

And this from the University of Hull on what slaves were called and actually did

http://www.domesdaybook.net/domesday-book/data-terminology/peasantry/serf

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

Three or four years ago there was a production of Jerome Kern's "Showboat" by a South African company in Cardiff. The most well known song "Ol Man River" is sung by a slave (a baritone) and chorus of darker skin. It is normally sung as " all work on the Missisipi" but this company sang the orginal version that started with the "N" word.

I will admit to being most surprised!

Dave

p.s. The most well known version on record is sung by Paul Robeson in the prewar film.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning All

bright and sunny

Those pesky flying ant from Europe have hit mainland England shame it wasn't p!ssing rain this morning the buqqers could have drowned in the English Channel or the Thames.

Still no word from GDB hope all is well at Sutt towers I will contact him soon, I did remember Her Bossness required him to do work around the house a few weeks ago.

Must get on stay safe and mind the gap.:superman: S.T.Illshaggin  :biggrin_mini2:

Congradulations to the Wass's 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, pH said:

Eh - no it didn't. It didn't even record the population of all of modern England:

"The Domesday Book was commissioned in December 1085 by William the Conqueror, who invaded England in 1066. The first draft was completed in August 1086 and contained records for 13,418 settlements in the English counties south of the rivers Ribble and Tees (the border with Scotland at the time)."

and

"The survey does not cover London (city), Winchester, Northumberland and Durham or much of north-west England; the only parts of Wales included are certain border areas."

That said, there definitely was still slavery in the British Isles at that time, and apparently something that looked very like slavery for several hundred years after that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_Britain

If it didn't record the population why did the commissioners checking the information which had been given to the compilers check how many  freemen, sokemen, cottars, and slaves had been declared?  If they kew that then obviously they could express the number of slaves as a percentage of the total albeit not necessarily a percentage of the total population.  That of course was not the whole population but it was part of it and it definitely included checking on the number of slaves where that information had been collected.  Or do we now believe that Wiki or some other secondary or tertiary source  is more accurate than the UK National Archive?  In fact is Wiki accurate at all in respect of anything because in some areas it seem to get things wrong almost as often as it gets them right

And Morning all,

So Guy Gibson was a racist because he called his black dog 'nigger?  is this more claptrap from the woke version of Wiki?  Gibson was a very complex character and not liked by many although his professional abilities were - rightly - highly respected but I think the last thing anybody has ever suggested Gibson to be was a racist.   His dog was black so that was how it got its name, probably like umpteen hundred other black dogs because the word derived from the Spanish 'negra' - meaning black (and no doubt the word 'negro' probably came from the same linguistic root).  Back in the 1960s (note, not the 1940s) my then girlfriend bought a suit in 'nigger brown - it wasn't a perjorative term but a  descriptive one in common everyday usage in Britain.  It is very easy to overlook that fads and fashion in the usage of language change over the years hence the fact that nowadays 'gay' means something totally different from its meaning even 50 years ago and the dreaded crass words 'train station' are nowadays even acceptable to the BBC (not that that means much as the standard of English it uses continues its descent into dumbo land). Sorry - I've just realised that 'dumbo' might be 'cartoon elephanist'.  But for all of that we should not be trashing our history. or anyone's history because once it is destroyed we can't get it back - like it or not it is history and Gibson and his dog, who was arguably his best friend and according to some sources the only animate thing (including his wife) that he ever really cared for. 

Back in the real world it is going to be another sunny day but some rain is promised for tomorrow.  The lad is safely on his way to Corsica and last reported in from St Pancras whence he should now be on the 2nd stage of his journey heading to Paris on a Class 374 (hard luck son - all the 373s are currently stopped as not required).  Following lunch a Paris the 3rd stage will take him south to Toulon for tomorrow morning's sailing to Ajaccio.  I might be doing a bit of unmentionable tesing using parallel strips of metal although I may tasked by the management to reorganise my loose change mountain.  Ad its ham, egg & chips for dinner this evening.

Enjoy your day and stay safe.

• Like 14
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When I was at secondary school there was only one African boy in the whole school. All the other pupils were Anglo-Saxon/Celtic. He also had tribal markings on his face that made him even more exotic. I remember being envious of the boys who's class he was in. The rule of thumb I apply when I hear things like the n word is 'is it deliberately intended to offend' and I react accordingly.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

the commissioners checking the information

The commissioners were local people, and not above rewriting history.

From 1086 to 1974 there were a couple of parishes north of Lanceston west of the Tamar where were in Devon. They reverted to Cornwall in the 1974 local government boundary changes.

The reason for the original border migration is, according to Michael Wood, was that of tax. If you owned land in a  county you paid tax, but the amount of land was not considered. The commissioner owned land  in a couple of parishes in both Devon and west of the Tamar so conveniently moved the county boundary as a tax avoidance device.

The map below shows the white area to the north of Launceston which was the bit of Devon west of the Tamar.

watermark.php?productId=149&number=1

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium

The Hull  report referenced by Combe Martin , is similar to what I had read on the situation at 1086, and in this village of 65 households there were two lords plough teams, and correspondingly two slaves. The Lord being King William.. ( Earl Godwin before) 

That actually means the population then was around 3 times more than it is now.. 

The basic block walls below barbeque level,  are now in place, the Stainless shelves are loosely in place.

Trial placement of blocks above shelf level,  has now shown planning authorities it's eventual size,  permission has been granted for completion. 

That will be next week looking at the forecast..

There is the problem of the lid,  the area to cover is 46 inches by 52 inches,  a bit big for a single piece lid,  it also needs to be secure in the high winds from the coast. 

Shortly,  I shall head out again,  this time to a little sanding experiment on the boat.  2.5 ltr of le Tonkinois varnish has arrived ordered a couple of days ago.  It will be deposited in the garage on a cool spot for safety.  That should allow me to complete the varnish renovation,  and give a supply for maintenance use. 

• Like 16

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Combe Martin

... is a village in Exmoor on the coast, a place with horrendous parking charges.

Coombe Barton I made up as a combination of two generic names, meaning "valley" and "the largest farm in the area".

But it then turned out that there's pub of that name at Crackington Haven,  Cornwall, home itself of some spectacular folded rocks

https://coombebarton.co.uk

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

there's pub of that name at Crackington Haven,  Cornwall, home itself of some spectacular folded rocks

And a charmingly-named and delightful little spot it is too.  Not for the fainthearted as the roads on both sides are single-track lanes graded at 1:4 :O  When you can safely reverse uphill along one of those roads for some distance to allow an oncoming vehicle right of way as the Highway Code requires then you can wear your driver's stripes. ;)  

12 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

it started raining. That weather had not been on the forecast earlier.

Ditto.  No rain on the forecast earlier but the hands suggested it was coming.  A very recent check shows heavy overnight rain now expected.  If nothing else I can skip watering the garden tonight!  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1