RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

You forgot people talking about their sex lives.

Where's Oldudders and his tales of Alison and her beau when you need them.................?

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

watching and listening to a live stream of the Yorkshire v Lancashire "friendly". 

I note (correctly) the use of inverted commas.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Just got back from Sainsbury's

Everyone was wearing a mask.

Just a question ...

What was so difficult about doing it last week?

There are a few F words, so don't view if you will be offended by a reference to "baked beans can sideways........."

• Like 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Once upon a time I worked on  a railway which had both passengers and customers.  The passengers were the people who had tickets and travelled on passenger carrying trains.   The customers were the people who sent and received parcels and other passenger rated traffic or who sent and received freight traffic.   You'd need to be pretty stupid to confuse a passenger with a customer.  In my experience any of the customers who had any sort of reason to express dissatisfaction would often be very quick to make the point that they were a customers and therefore needed to be treated accordingly .  And picking up on Lawrence's point I have long contended that the main reason for switching to the term customer for self ambulant traffic was because somebody eventually realised that reference to various Passenger Information System(s) then under development or coming into use could have an unfortunate connotation when referred to by the use of an acronym based on the initial letters of those three words.  Fortunately in the early days most of the systems had much longer names so the short acronym wasn't much of a problem - probably on named in such a fashion on purpose.

Belated happy birthday to The Lurker.

Ths afternoon I ventured into a supermarket - going as far as almost 30 feet from the entrance - for the first time since 14 March.  Very quiet in Waitrose and I was in & out in less than 5 minutes, which suited me down to the ground. as I have little wish to repeat that process although I might have to visit one on Sunday morning for the papers - preferably as quickly.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And picking up on Lawrence's point I have long contended that the main reason for switching to the term customer for self ambulant traffic was because somebody eventually realised that reference to various Passenger Information System(s) then under development or coming into use could have an unfortunate connotation when referred to by the use of an acronym based on the initial letters of those three words. 

CUstomer Needs Traintime System isn't brilliant either...............

• Funny 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

Feels very close here - thunder storm could be coming along.

Baz

Been and gone.

And belated birthday wishes to The Lurker.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, pH said:

Apparently 1.30 pm on a Thursday afternoon is not the time to go shopping at Costco - who knew?

The gas station attendant at our Costco said the best time was 7:00 pm, but I forget if he said weeknight or Friday/Saturday.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, pH said:

I once heard a lecturer, making up a multiple choice exam, say “It’s _ _ _ hard thinking up three wrong answers!”. (There is a word missing - “plausible”.)

I always assumed that the wrong answers came from previous years' non-multiple choice exams.

I also think that there should be one obviously wrong answer.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

We bought a dehumidifier today as SWMBO thinks the basement is a bit damp.  There is a tag on the plug that tells us to wait 24 hours after moving it before turning it on.

I visited a bookstore today. I didn't find anything but she did. The young lady that was checking us in and out asked me if I found everything. I was polite, but told her that one of the magazines I like (MRJ) had a note that the next issue would be on sale Feb. 20th. She said she'd have someone check it.  I was told that the the magazine section is now run by a separate company. 20 years ago I managed to get them to carry a magazine I wanted.

• Friendly/supportive 16

27 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Yesterday's visit to the bank had two purposes.  One was to print a statement, the other to finish the process of installing the Barclays app on my phone.  For this I was most grateful for the assistance of a very patient member of staff.  Like many, I dread the day when online banking prevails, for I would far rather argue with a human than a computer.  Thanks to Little Britain, they have a certain reputation for saying No.

Best wishes to all

Chris  

Whilst I can see the benefits of face to face banking, when our local branch closed down, I wasn't particularly worried because painful experience had shown it to be a convenient gulag for those staff too incompetent to be trusted with anything but too long-serving to economically fire.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl inner Temple Hare, 

Woke after 3.5 hours with John kettley finger joints forecasting rain.  There has been some,  now at 06:07, it's actually getting darker, I suspect that's why Ben the I want out Collie, dragged me out half an hour early. 

Ben had a bad night,  lying in his bed , getting too hot,  Getting up , lying cold floor,  getting uncomfortable, going back to bed and repeat. 

Multiple choice papers I don't remember any at school,  and certainly not part of SCEs or Highers.

The RAF used them a lot in technical training, but there were six ( mostly)  or more answers to choose from and the pass mark was always  80%..

The company I work for now, uses them online,   with varying numbers of answers between 3 to 6, and a pass mark of 75%.  But since you've just read the training 30seconds before you'd have to work hard to fail. 

The next course has arrived in the works in box, " security considerations and digital compilation". 

The Temperature has just noticeably dropped,  Ben has got up and hidden in his cage,  I suspect a heavy downpour is imminent.. 

I think its time for me to get up and head for the kitchen,  what will accompany a Muggacoffee, I'm not sure,  but it will involve bacon. 

Time to.... Move.. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning awl from a not-yet-locked-down Luton.

The week's big news from here (other than the Hatters securing Championship survival against, ironically, fellow not-yet-locked-downers Blackburn), is of course the rise in virus cases. Mid-week there were social media posts from the council concerning the LU4 postcode. As news unfolded, it emerged the focus was on eight or so individual postcodes which all relate to one road in the town, which suggested they were working with some very specific information. Overnight the position has now changed so that anyone in Luton can now get a test - with or without symptoms.

Unsurprisingly, local social media was alive with all sorts of rumour and comment, along with some compromising pictures of the mayor and two other councillors attending a very non-socially distanced private event with a number of other individuals. Although everyone was outside, food was being shared and no protective items were in evidence - apart from a mask being worn below a chin. After a day of deafening silence, the three concerned have admitted their involvement and apologised with a pretty weak explanation for their actions.

Today would have been gym opening day but not in this town. I hadn't intended going anyway for reasons I've previously discussed on here but also because of other people's poor behaviour and lack of hygiene standards. The fact I recognised one of the individuals at the aforementioned gathering simply underscores my position. I'll be particularly annoyed if we have further measures imposed as I'm barely 150 yards inside the borough boundary.

I also paid a visit to the office again this week to review the return to work plans. I was joined by some colleagues who I haven't see in person for four months and our on site facilities people who were very pleased to see some new faces in the building. It was a real lift. I've had several conversations with colleagues this week who really want to get back to the office. Here's hoping we can.

Carpe your diems, good wishes to those who ail and pats on backs to those doing good deeds.

Regards to awl.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 10