The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Ah! But why would you Count on this?

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Did Fleming have a villain called Dr Syn as the Romney has a loco named after the smuggler.

Jamie

It does indeed, named after the mythical Vicar of Dymchurch in his Night Job!

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

I don't remember Ian Fleming having a villain called Syn but has one of the 'modern' authors created a villain called Syn or Sin? 

IIRC, the RHDR loco looked american in outline, any american connection? 

Ian Fleming did not, AFAIK, have a villain named with any connotation of Syn. However, he did write at least one non-Bond best seller!

Two clues, cue Cupid Stunt, "Hey, I'm telling you the plot", "but it's all done in the best possible taste"!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 15

47 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Nothing but great late summer weather in the American 80Fs which is forecast for into next week, so self isolating in the garden under the trees. 

We’ve got the same kind of weather and forecast here. It is getting cooler at night, though. We woke up this morning to moisture on the windows - outside! Shows the double glazing is working well. While it seemed a lot at the time, the money we spent on that is the best thing we’ve done for comfort in the house.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, polybear said:

Velosolex - 49cc, front wheel drive, centrifugal clutch, no gears, friction drive via an abrasive wheel mounted on the crankshaft which rubs against the top of the tyre.  No speed records, but 200+ to the gallon.

A certain Bear had one many moons ago (and wish he still had, as prices are going up....)

The French tune the hell out of them and race them like crazy.

A certain product I worked on for 35 years was stored and moved in a Trolley that had two wheels.  Works a treat, and continues to do so for nigh on forty years.  The latest superstars* are designing the replacement system; the new Trolley has - wait for it - TEN wheels :o  And is it any good?  :laugh:

*Did the latest superstars approach those of us who'd been involved with the current product to ask what is right/wrong/good/bad etc etc.?  Dream on.  Well, not until the new design was so far down the line that it was too late to do anything about it......

From the mid 80s until tomorrow, I still feel frustration when I see colleagues going off into (their) uncharted territory when I have the map!

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, BokStein said:

From the mid 80s until tomorrow, I still feel frustration when I see colleagues going off into (their) uncharted territory when I have the map!

Each new generation will always make the same mistakes as the one before and you were told the same and then repeated their mistakes!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.   Fish and chips enjoyed and then we sat out for a while and watched the sunset. I had a rather nice measure of Aberfeldy.

I haven't seen any mention of answers to my questions about York.  I thought that Baz would know at least one of them.

Anyway off to bed soon as Sister Drac will be here at 08.00.

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mrs T iirc there was a plaque to do with the masts on east coast electrification 

The bomb damage all i have seen is the engine in the nrm with the damaged dome

That's correct about the plaque.  IIRC she officially planted the 10 thounsandth mast in the electrification scheme.  She took one of her only 3 train journeys during her premiership to York to attend some part do at Castle Howard. The mast is at the concourse end of one of the Selby bays.

As to the bomb  the damage is fairly easily identifiable.  I'll see if anyone comes up with it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 11

Evening All,

Havent  had much time to read post for the last couple of days. I’ve just read about Simon and Gwiwers bad backs so wish they have a speedy recovery and hope every else is fighting fit.
Ive decided to make an all out effort to get some of my outstanding jobs completed and consequently I’ve just finished in my ‘office’ completing a VAT return.
Also today I’ve spent far too much time  speaking to staff at HMRC and phoning around for spares for my van. I’ve also been to town to get a hair cut, do some banking and a supermarket shop. After that I’ve taken  SWMBOs  cousin a van load of stuff that she had been storing at our house to her house and then burned a bit of rubbish in the garden. Tea and the aforementioned VAT return. Most of that lot wasn’t  on ‘my’ list of jobs to do but at least no more jobs have come in today.
Hopefully I’ll get some more done tomorrow so goodnight for now,

Robert

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Mango

I know from the Indian relatives that they think only the Alphonso mango is worth eating. Serving any other variety just starts a discussion about how awful they are!

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Aghh, Now you've removed one, haha.:unsure:

Oh no I haven't - I only posted it once and only just got back hetre and it's only there once on my screen.  Very weird.  do you get extra rations for moving to 'ampshire?

6 hours ago, TheQ said:

They'd be the odd one out because none of the others made electric irons (as far as I've ever heard)

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The bathroom cabinet is now no longer in the cellar, it is hanging on the bathroom wall where it should be. As yet it hasn’t been re-filled as Sheila said she’ll do that tomorrow as she wants to sort out the stuff that I took out (95% of it is hers anyway) before it goes back in again. 

Once that was done, it was once again a bit of reading and eyelid inspection.

Simon and Rick I both your backs improve soon. 

Goodnight all. 

Brian. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BokStein said:

Ah! But why would you Count on this?

It does indeed, named after the mythical Vicar of Dymchurch in his Night Job!

Ian Fleming did not, AFAIK, have a villain named with any connotation of Syn. However, he did write at least one non-Bond best seller!

Two clues, cue Cupid Stunt, "Hey, I'm telling you the plot", "but it's all done in the best possible taste"!

Ah, so the link is Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the book written by Ian Fleming (his last one) - which takes us to the cars which carried that name - which leads to Count Zobrowski who built the cars named Chitty Bang Bang  at his home Higham Park - which in turn leads to the 15 inch gauge railway which he built in the grounds of Higham Park - and then his later plan with Captain Howey to build a railway to which infrastructure and stock were sent from Higham Park and that latter railway is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway which makes a link to Romney Marsh.

Bit like Quite A Long Way Round Britain Quiz  is taht one.

Edited by The Stationmaster
trypo
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I know from the Indian relatives that they think only the Alphonso mango is worth eating. Serving any other variety just starts a discussion about how awful they are!

Many years ago (1979) I took a holiday in Barbados. The hotel was the main building/restaurant set in a large garden with bungalows for the guests set around the garden. Fresh mango was one of the breakfast options, they had a few mango trees in the grounds and if you wanted a mango for breakfast the staff would go and pick one off of the tree for you.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Many years ago (1979) I took a holiday in Barbados. The hotel was the main building/restaurant set in a large garden with bungalows for the guests set around the garden. Fresh mango was one of the breakfast options, they had a few mango trees in the grounds and if you wanted a mango for breakfast the staff would go and pick one off of the tree for you.

When I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, a neighbor had a mango tree; all that it was good for was shade. I do not like mangoes of any variety, even fresh off the tree. Grapefruit on the other hand....................

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11