The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon 2, a 2 hour extended eyelid inspection  was greatly enjoyed.. 

I noted on passing the doctors surgery yesterday a new tent city.  A different tent has arrived at the prescription window with a way in and out. 

Two more in the car park, I'm guessing for vaccinations,  one is definitely lined up as a drive past, the other I think for pedestrians..

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

vaccinations,  one is definitely lined up as a drive past,

You would have a pretty good doctor to achieve drive-past vaccinations.  Most require the patient to be still even if only for a moment :jester:

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

It has been raining quite a lot today. I got quite wet but it wasn’t from rain. My new wall mounted hose reel arrived. Putting the bracket up to suspend it from wasn’t at all difficult. I thought it would be a good idea to check the drum for leaks. However I hadn’t yet put the the aquastop connector on the end of the hose so managed to soak myself and the garage floor. It all works well now and Aditi has described it as looking very tidy. 
I have been making another slot car. A Ford this time. Aditi seemed disappointed it wasn’t a Mustang especially when I said it was a Capri. The chassis works well, the body kit of course has no instructions at all and some parts are still a mystery to me. 

Tony

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

You would have a pretty good doctor to achieve drive-past vaccinations.  Most require the patient to be still even if only for a moment :jester:

Perhaps that is why one of the GP relatives has been cycling to administer flu jabs to his patients who can’t get to the surgery. 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I don't know. When old Dr Slop as he was known vaccinated us at school the line of boys with one cheek bared never seemed to stop moving.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Still haven't been able to dislodge the old lock and handle on the ex coal shed. So tomorrow its out with the heavy artillery, the electric drill and some special drill bits for drilling hard metals. I still have to fathom out how to remove the handle, I will probably have to use brute force and ignorance. On another subject, what to do with the old towels 'rescued' when the airing cupboard was emptied. Apparently the local PDSA want old towels so I've collected them and they will be delivered next week. Delivering them will not be a problem as I pass the PDSA on the way to Tess Coes.

• Like 19

13 hours ago, roundhouse said:

We should have been visiting Pacific City back in July but fingers crossed for next year although not holding my breath. We have been to the coast in brilliant sunshine and also very heavy rain.

Always a nice spot to visit, even if a little different in CoViD times. All the booths are separated by Plexiglass backs and the function room was opened for extra, suitably distanced seating.

Extra seasonal seating was added with picnic tables on what, once upon a time, and long before CoViD, was the beach volleyball court; though this was not an option for my dinner it was open again at lunch the next day.

picnic.PNG.47c55d0aaada41ecb1e3a234b4333855.PNG

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Always a nice spot to visit, even if a little different in CoViD times. All the booths are separated by Plexiglass backs and the function room was opened for extra, suitably distanced seating.

Extra seasonal seating was added with picnic tables on what, once upon a time, and long before CoViD, was the beach volleyball court; though this was not an option for my dinner it was open again at lunch the next day.

picnic.PNG.47c55d0aaada41ecb1e3a234b4333855.PNG

Really miss that view regardless of the weather.

9B219F37-F3CD-40BC-92A1-85295D4C2B40.jpeg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Rain stopped for a while this afternoon and we even had sunshine.  It's now tipping down again.

I spent some time in The Shed and finished the main part of Platform 1.  It's got a slight curve to it so I set it on the layout and ran a couple of "things" past it just to check and all was fine.  "Great" I thought but then a certain other "thing" caught my eye, a long bendy tilting thing beginning with "A"  and  ending in "-E."  "Ooops" said I and I was right because when I ran that past it fouled the curvy bit.  However after some surgery with my trusty Swann-Morton all was well and Bobby still has all his blood.  :D

I thought that that was enough excitement for one day so came inside and watched the second half of one Rugby League Challenge Cup Semi Final and all of the other one.  Don't very often watch League but no choice today.  It was a bit strange as there were no scrums due to Covid precautions but then again they don't have proper scrums anyway. :no:

Now enjoying a drop more Shiraz before I go and liberate the TV from Herself once she's finished watching some dancing.  I will endeavour to find a film to watch.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

This be norfuk,  we be used to drivin slow behind all them tractors, says he in a good west country accent. 

I remember walking down the line both hands on hips,  getting stabbed from each side having vaccinations for everything,  during the first week in the RAF. At least one of our intake  of about 64,  didn't make it to the end before fainting.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

This be norfuk,  we be used to drivin slow behind all them tractors, says he in a good west country accent. 

I remember walking down the line both hands on hips,  getting stabbed from each side having vaccinations for everything,  during the first week in the RAF. At least one of our intake  of about 64,  didn't make it to the end before fainting.

Michael Bentine gave the definitive description of the RAF's approach to innoculations - https://youtu.be/7BRMqDmdYvQ?t=215.

• Like 13

22 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I do not understand why all the politics are being mentioned when it is against RMweb rules.

Mainly because, like other groups, many members have interests other than trains.  Wisely RMW recognised this and Early Risers is the place to discuss those other interests.  That privilege is not abused by its users and can be a source of information and interest.:)

Brian.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A few days ago we were talking about emigration to Switzerland. Here's another reason but I doubt if they'll let any of us in:- https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/geneva-introduce-the-worlds-highest-22787390#source=push Mind you the cost of living there will probably diminish that salary somewhat.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

It has been raining quite a lot today

Indeed it has.  Evening greetings from the London Borough of Issingdown and the locality of Piddledown-in-Cessantly.  

The brief afternoon lull in precipitation was a false sense of security; it is persisterating once again with Amber Warnings across much of the country though not quite in this area.  However we expect there may be some after-effects as the waters come downstream from the Thames catchments in coming days and meet the seasonal tides on their way up from the North Sea.  

We hope one and all can stay dry  -  hippos in muddy hollows excepted, of course.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2020 at 11:20, polybear said:

One of my favourites is:

"Alexa - good night"  (I know, I know...sad lonely b'stard....)

I have weekly Zoom virtual pub meet with a few friends.

One has an Alexa listening in.

Much fun can be had, especially when he nips out of the room to refill his beer..............................

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Congratulations sir. And madam. You are two days ahead of us. 

We are still expecting to go away a week from now though it depends on Storm Boris. The weather and viral forecasts are not looking that good. 

SWMBO will still not enter any building she doesn’t absolutely have to which limits the scope for dining / drinking out with friends. I do have a series of surprises arranged starting with an picnic-at-home tonight delivered by our friends at HG Walter

Monday will see flowers delivered with several days to enjoy them before going away. 

It continues to rain relentlessly. The back remains uncomfortable. Give me three good reasons to get out of bed and on with the day. 

Thank you.  Hope tonight's surprise went well and that you are able to have a great week.   

We will be totally on our own on Monday for the first day for many months as our niece is at last able to return to work many thousands of miles away tomorrow.

Replacement tiles and some pointing has been carried out on the club building so it is back in use under strict maximum number pre-booked conditions of numbers and sanitising and for those who know us 'O' what a surprise D*C now in place.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I have weekly Zoom virtual pub meet with a few friends.

One has an Alexa listening in.

Much fun can be had, especially when he nips out of the room to refill his beer..............................

Had a similar situation when at Mums a few months aog. Brother was over from HK and he had partially twigged that aksing Alexa to play music 'everywhere' might cause all my Alexa's to start playing. Luckily the one at Mums is not set up as part of that group but my other half sitting at home working would have a rather noisy time especially if she was on a video call. I had to just sit quiet pretendnig nothing happened otherwise my brother would keep doing that.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I asked the same question on Google and this seemed the most readable result:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/02/trump-coronavirus-what-happens-election-impact-changes-pence-biden

Unfortunately canot follow this one up, as every time I think I would be interested in their comments, on entering the site they ask for money - a no no.

Edited by PeterBB
Spelling correction
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Evening everyone,
Nothing of what was planned happened today. Did manage to get some work done but not the VAT return and certainly no shed time. Football team lost and I missed a Hermes delivery as they didn’t bother to ring the intercom. 
On a more positive note nephews and Syd came round for the afternoon so we went for short walk due to the precipitation. Nothing  else to report so goodnight,

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Bear weighed in at 83/84Kg back in March   - one of these days I might understand what these strange units mean in terms of people weights - stones and lbs, now there's a system that I do understand.

Perhaps even stranger is that in chemistry and physics SI units were always used and in shopping (not that I actually do much of that) have grown used to these 'odd' measurements.  

That has just brought up the memory of the chart in the corner of the first classroom  960 farthings make one pound together with all the other aspects of that currency and of course seeing someone with a big white £5 note with black printing handed over to someone at London Airport - now Heathrow - for a flight round the airport on a visit must be nearly 70 years ago.  Cheques still have at the end xN new pence and that expensive change happened in 1970-71.

• Like 14

29 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Bear weighed in at 83/84Kg back in March   - one of these days I might understand what these strange units mean in terms of people weights - stones and lbs, now there's a system that I do understand.

Perhaps even stranger is that in chemistry and physics SI units were always used and in shopping (not that I actually do much of that) have grown used to these 'odd' measurements.  

That has just brought up the memory of the chart in the corner of the first classroom  960 farthings make one pound together with all the other aspects of that currency and of course seeing someone with a big white £5 note with black printing handed over to someone at London Airport - now Heathrow - for a flight round the airport on a visit must be nearly 70 years ago.  Cheques still have at the end xN new pence and that expensive change happened in 1970-71.

As someone said at the time: "They should wait until all the old people have died before they change anything".

• Funny 14