Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening all,

Another POTS day completed to end a week of 'can it get any worse? Yes, it seems that it can!"

Having used a spreadsheet as a precursor to understanding a particular work process, I am now contemplating the design and implementation of additional tables in our Company database structure  to simplify the process and, hopefully, make this process more resistant to fraud! Anyone who knows me could say that this is an Insider job!

In other news:

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The intention here was to walk to the end of the Road and then turn right  and back home.

In the  end, I took the short cut through the woods, getting attacked on the way by Squirrels leaping from tree to tree and racing around the ground, which is always an enjoyable sight.

Bet they were non-indigenous grey tree rats! IMHO, flea-ridden and open game!

10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

We "need" to visit Sainsbury's this morning (no real surprise there) as magazines are required by her Bossness and she can't rely on the online shoppers not to pick out of date ones.

Most on-line stores have one code for the magazine. You will note a barcode in two sections, for example, Continental Modeller is 9770955129156 which is a generic code for said magazine (others are available!). However, for each issue, there is a secondary barcode, with the legible number on its top, indicating the month for which it it issued.

Large retailers (supermarkets, model shops, etc.) only use the generic code; the smaller newsagent generally either sells out or returns their unsold copies when the next month's issue becomes available.

In order for the on-line pickers to get the correct issue, each magazine will need to be setup on their systems at least 12 times to distinguish between months. Too much effort for too little gain!

Moral: buy your magazines in person or subscribe (which often means you'll get them before they reach the shelves and can be cheaper overall!).

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

All the talk about whose long haul flying experience was the worst made me smile. Try UK to the Falklands in the cockpit of a Phantom or Tornado F3 with a stopover at Ascension. In flight catering consisted of a packet of sarnies and a small carton of orange juice while entertainment was provided by the odd spot of midair refuelling but the view was good.  getting the joints to work well enough to get out of the cockpit after landing was fun as well.

One would imagine a tad awkward if you need a Number 2 (or 1, for that matter - I was thinking worst case) mid-flight....

• Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, polybear said:

One would imagine a tad awkward if you need a Number 2 (or 1, for that matter - I was thinking worst case) mid-flight....

Don't even go there.....

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Barry O said:

My broken tooth will stay that way for a while.

It looks like it could rain today.. hopefully I wonthave to pump the garden out again..it now has rhe consistenct of Flanders mud...

On our list of missing ERs I omitted two who have occassionally graced us with a visit. @Natalie and @Kelly..I hope they are both ok?

Have a grand day everyone.. round 2 of baz v BT today...

Baz

Dentists and emergency  only.  Similar to Barry - filling broke January ; appointment March - cancelled for good reason.  Later, August,  telephoned and was given an appointment for September.  On the due day, arrived at the pay car park and at the appointed time I appeared to find the door closed  ... pushed the bell for message, told them that I had arrived for my new 'filling' appointment only to be told "We are only open for emergencies".  No further appointment and now a second filling is no longer in place ... 

Aircraft - only DC3; VC10; BA111; Vanguard, are all that I remember although a trip to Switzerland for a course, must be approaching 30 years ago by now,  involved three aircraft out and three back.  Did not write them down and cannot remember any of them now.  Just remembered a Dakota  even earlier than the VC10 and DC3.  

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Aircraft - only DC3; VC10; BA111; Vanguard, are all that I remember although a trip to Switzerland for a course, must be approaching 30 years ago by now,  involved three aircraft out and three back.  Did not write them down and cannot remember any of them now.  Just remembered a Dakota  even earlier than the VC10 and DC3.  

The Dakota is a DC-3.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The Dakota is a DC-3.

Dave

Oops - think it should have been jet DC5 or even DC6? - Air Canada 60s similar time of the VC10.  Dakota much earlier.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

Greetings.

I haven't posted here for a while - no dramatic reason, just a load of niggling things that succeeded in lowering the mojo level but now receding so my mood has improved.

All the talk about whose long haul flying experience was the worst made me smile. Try UK to the Falklands in the cockpit of a Phantom or Tornado F3 with a stopover at Ascension. In flight catering consisted of a packet of sarnies and a small carton of orange juice while entertainment was provided by the odd spot of midair refuelling but the view was good.  getting the joints to work well enough to get out of the cockpit after landing was fun as well. Mind you, UK to Cyprus in the back of a C-130 was right up there with root canal treatment too. 

Dave  

So you were off to join 1435 flight,  first time down we were met by phantoms subsequent flights by F3s.

At least on the Timmy or Tommy flight you could go in the duty free bar on the airport,  and have a few kingfishers before leg 2, safe in the knowledge that the loos were one thing the RAF didn't rip out of the Tristars.. otherwise catering was the same. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Chilly evening awl, 

Back from the MRC,  I'd forgotten several items again,  so I bent a couple of hundred fence posts,  then painted them concrete grey,  made the last piece of land scenery look like a wedding cake,  and painted some ends of layout olive green. 

Tonight's post meal blood test glucose test was the lowest so far,  7.2 and it included a baked potato , slow changes to diet are having an effect.. 

Muggachoccy drunk

Time to bid you awl goodnight. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The Dakota is a DC-3.

Dave

Although BEA were a little bit crafty and called them 'Pionairs' - but they were still Dakotas and they didn't exactly go to either high altitude or high speed but a very excited young me got a fabulous view of Southampton Docks, complete with some real liners (QM and United States), on a flight from Jersey to LHR.  But I much preferred the Viscount on the outward trip - far smoother and a lot quieter.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1