Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

That  takes too long to say for Australians.

Its Lonnie or Lonno.

Perhaps a lot of Australians came from Essex. When I moved down to Essex I was surprised by how even short names got shortened , Terry to Tel, Gary to Gaz or Gal. Reduction of syllables must have caused Tony to become Tone. When we first moved to Benfleet some neighbours asked Aditi for a shorter version of her name. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 12

Before I bid you Good Night,

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I am assured by natives of the Island, when they deign to speak with this "overner" that it is Bry-s'n though I have heard "Bry-st'n" but never "Brig-stun".  Perhaps those crafty caulkheads intend to mislead us ;) 

"Cossam" is contentious.  Mother had family born and bred there.  To them if you lived north of the railway it was "Cossam" but if you lived south thereof it was definitely "Cosh'm".   Those Portsmouth Corporation buses, some of which were powered from two overhead wires, which used to terminate in the station yard (and had always come from the south) went to "Cosh'm Railway Gates", Southdown conductors on out-of-city routes would announce "Cosh'm Northern Road" which was their main stop but station staff used which ever they had grown up with.  Former Neighbours (Upstairs) who moved there after leaving us has always referred to "Cosh'm" despite living north of the railway; she isn't a local however but comes from nearby Leigh Park which is the rough end of Havant and just up the road. 

With maternal relatives rife north of the railway, Coss'm it is!

2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Leominster has the last ducking stool in the country.  It doesn't get used much nowadays, I don't think many men would dare.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g503875-d5915889-Reviews-The_Ducking_Stool-Leominster_Herefordshire_England.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7

PS It looks like it was designed for use on a plateway.

Do you mean Lemster?

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

Kingston Bagpuize, anyone? ;) 

Yes please - it was about the northern limit of my aunt's egg round when she had about 120 laying hens and more importantly the pub by the current name of The Hinds Head was the regular port of call for senior members of our school CCF when we were heading off in a 3 tonner to various activities in Mid or North Wales.  We always started out on a Sunday evening whether it was for the Easter Arduous Training or as the advance party for setting up everything for the annual summer camp by a farm at Dylife (the field looks little changed on Google maps).

The nearest pub there was The Star Inn. (still there it appears) but the landlady who had previously been matron of Cardiff Hospital would not serve us cadets even if we were 18 but our officers (i.e. several of our teachers from school) were always very welcome there.  Our CCF CO originally came from the same village as the lady - Ynysybwl.  which was also where I first lodged when the WR very kindly transferred me to South Wales.  BTW the locals referred to it as 'the 'bwl'. and if going there on the 'bus from 'Ponty'. (i.e. Pontypridd) you never asked for Ynysbwl but for the exact stop you wanted.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the C*******s tree is up and all the decorations are on, but as we won’t be having any visitors over the festive season, that’s all we’re doing for this year! I got the lights on before dinner, then made a start on the rest of the decorations. They were all finished before I packed up for a mid afternoon muggertea. Whilst drinking that I read a couple of articles in the latest MERG magazine, which dropped on the door mat yesterday. Once I’d finished my tea, I finished making the fruit tea loaf and put that in the oven then made a start on tonight tea, chicken jalfrezi, the whole process from preparing the vegetables to playing up took just over an hour and there’s enough sauce left over for another meal too. 

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, polybear said:

...snip... Chef Bear will let the patron decide if the quantity of Sauce applied would be best described as a smear, a wipe, a dollop or a splodge...... ...snip... 

Chef Bear forgot microscopic. I can still see some toast! :jester:

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...snip... Tony to become Tone.  ...snip...

Odd, how did Tony become the I. J. N. TONE:biggrin_mini: Keel laid 01dec34; launched 21nov37; commissioned 20nov38; sunk (Hiroshima) 24jul45.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, inner Temple hare,

6 hours sleep so far just one wake up to turn over.

Upper back still complaining due to yesterday's above head work.

Never had much tomato sauce on my food always found it too sweet and these days tomato ketchup sarnies would be a diabetic disaster..much like the sandwiches my little sister used to like..sugar sandwiches..bread thick layer of butter on each piece of bread, sugar thickly between.

She's short and dumpy, how she's avoided diabetes I don't know...

Cheese on toast / toastie with wooster sauce was my go to snack, preferably with added bacon.

Plans for today, some keel work, some trolley work, once I've extracted the table saw from its current home.

Time  to hit the snooze button...

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... even the city we live in, Edina, is often subject to mis-pronunciation

That one I can do. Like (paraphrasing a traditional song about Carolina), "nothing could be finer, than to go boating in Edina, in the morning". (I have gone boating on Lake Minnetonka, many years ago, though it was in the afternoon.)

There are absolutely no consistent "rules" when it comes to pronouncing place names within the borders of "England". Certainly regular "English" pronunciations do not apply. Having been dragged up in the antipodes, contractions are very familiar and I can get *some* of them almost right, but am no doubt confounded by most Welsh and Cornish local pronunciations. Some Bostonian pronunciations preserve traditional English pronunciations - like "woob'n" for Woburn. Of course there are others like "Rev-ee-ah" for Revere.

My own local municipality (an Anglicized native American term) with what is a very simple parsing and pronunciation, is not pronounceable to most Americans. Anglicizations of native Australian terms seem to *mostly* follow consistent rules that the locals parse consistently. I grew up in one. Whether these actually sound like the original Aboriginal sounds I cannot say. They probably don't.

I like Polynesian words, like those encountered in Hawai'i. The rules are relatively straightforward, but they are not "English" rules. Generally, (though not always) when encountering consecutive vowels in Polynesian words, this represents two distinct sounds - not a combined vowel sound.

A good example is "Halemaʻumaʻu" (HAH-lay-MAH-oo-MAH-oo) the primary crater of Kīlauea (KEEL-ow-AY-ə).

Finns tell me that their language is strictly phonetic and easy to pronounce when you know the "rules", which include the glottal stop. Personally I find most that Finnish words and place names look like random selections from the Scrabble bag. "Kepis" means "cheers" and that will take you a long way with Finns.

Swedish is more complex than Finnish. It is truly impressive how excellently Swedes and Finns speak English - particularly compared with the reverse.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, TheQ said:

... these days tomato ketchup sarnies would be a diabetic disaster

While there is plenty of sugar in the ketchup, the bread is the bigger diabetic offender. You'd have to use a *lot* of ketchup to match the carbs in the bread.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning all.  It looks as if it's going to be another fine day.  First of all best wishes to BoD and hope that you both stay safe.  

Yesterday I had an abortive shopping trip in the morning trying to get a smallish upright freezer. In the afternoon I progressed with demolition in the bathroom.  One obstacle was the wall heater which had no visible method of turning off the electrical supply. I very carefully dismantled it and did discover a chocolate block type connector inside. I was able to get my meter probes on that and yes, it was live.  Experimentation with various circuit breakers took place and I now know which breaker feeds it. Once dead, the heater was removed and the lead made safe. The supply will have a fused spur fitted which has a switch on it, and then be reused for a heated towel rail.  After that careful work I bashed and lifted 2 sq metres of floor tiles.  In the evening we watched a  documentary  called The Last Breath, on Netflix. Well worth watching. 

This morning we are off to the market and then there will be more floor tile removal.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, BokStein said:

Do you mean Lemster?

By chance that's where swmbo lived when we met.  I didn't dare ask if we could have a ducking stool when she moved down south.

Her place in Leominster (Lemster)  was a sprawling townhouse with Tudor beams and questionable plaster. You could see the lights on next door through gaps in the plaster. You could also tell when they were smoking! 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Lie in this morning.  Wet outside..and a mugatea means I will be wet on the inside shortly.

Very positive thoughts to BoD and his good lady. Fingers and toes are crossed!

Watched various bits of sport yesterday.. England rugby ahould really have demolished Wales but they have no real thinkers in the team.

Kick ball was interesting ..they still haven't clicked aas to why VAR needs to include a bit of crickets hawk eye thought process...

Time to drink me tea.. stay safe! Positive thoughts to all ERs and extra positives to our missing ERs.

Baz

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Morning awl,

Looks like a trip to the local great metropolis is on the cards to get tomorrow's lunch.

Matters arising (take one large pinch of salt!):

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

[snip] Cheese on toast / toastie with wooster sauce was my go to snack, preferably with added bacon.

Yum! Still is mine!

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

[snip] Having been dragged up in the antipodes, contractions are very familiar and I can get *some* of them almost right, but am no doubt confounded by most Welsh and Cornish local pronunciations.

Now, is that the Anti Podes or the Antipod ees? ;)

• Like 5
  • Funny 7

Another dull day in North Somerset, but not as damp as yesterday as the humidity has fallen a few percentage points. 

Usual fry-up about to be consumed, and then more slide scanning. 

One or two spring bulbs are beginning to poke shoots through the soil, which is a positive sign for next year.

East Ham has been a rather derogatory term for me, ever since hearing a comment by the late great Bob Willis on TV. When asked why he referred to someone  a bit weird as being "East Ham", he replied "Because it is one stop short of Barking". 

RIP Bob. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 14